Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, consider the source of this information. I think I'll wait until there is an official announcement before believing this to be true and how it is to be.

The only way I will stop seeing William (and Kate) as workshy, is when they do as many, if not more, royal engagements as his elderly grandparents.

He couldn't stay in SAR because they really couldn't stay in Wales- they needed to be closer to their offices and staff.

This seems like it might be a good compromise to me.

There is a SAR base in Suffolk where Harry was stationed. Being 2 hours away from their staff isn't that great either if they spend most of their time in Norfolk.

What William and Katherine do in terms of royal appearances and duties are decided by either Claridge House or Buckingham Palace. They have input, but the extend of their duties are controlled by the Queen and POW. If the Queen decides they must do 60+ hours a week, then she will let them know.
Personally, I think the Queen and Prince Charles want William and Kate to enjoy being parents will performing their royal duties. Something neither of them were able to do.

The only way I will stop seeing William (and Kate) as workshy, is when they do as many, if not more, royal engagements as his elderly grandparents.

I don't see this happening until Charles becomes King and William becomes heir to the throne. I think they are doing plenty at this time and sincerely do hope that it is announced that William will fly for the EAAA. There is quite a bit more to fulfilling their royal roles than just stepping out on engagements that are publicized. For example, we just recently saw William, Harry and Kate with George at a charity polo match. Although the articles written just stated that it was a charity polo match, if one looked at the team polo shirts they were wearing, they would have noticed that the charities were Centrepoint, Well Child and Child Bereavement UK. These are all charities that are close to W&K&H's hearts and I'd bet my last buffalo wing that they were instrumental in setting this match up. Its been reported that Kate has made private visits to her charities also. These are not idle people. We just don't see everything they do nor is everything they do public knowledge.

Being a royal and working for the Firm is much, much more than popping up 3 places a day for ribbon cutting and photo ops and wearing different outfits and having the most numbers in the Court Circular.

I really don't know why anyone is complaining...the Queen is going to have them do what she wants done, if she is content with their current duties then what more needs to be said?

LaRae

There is a SAR base in Suffolk where Harry was stationed. Being 2 hours away from their staff isn't that great either if they spend most of their time in Norfolk.

Perhaps this is a reason for the Queen leasing the royal helicopter? Would be a quick hop, skip and a jump to KP and their staff if it was needed. With all the repairs and renovations being made to Anmer Hall, the lease of the helicopter (for all the royals and not just W&K) it looks like they're going to possibly make more use of Anmer Hall than just a place to stay while the family is at Sandringham.

I think we'll know more for certain when an official announcement is made from KP. It even could be that William will work for EAAA but as a unpaid volunteer. We just don't know the for sure facts yet.

Then you are going to have to wait a long time. The reason that HMQ,DoE, Charles and Anne have so many patronages is that they have been doing f/t for 65, 60, 40 and 45 years respectively. ( these figures are rounded so please dont tell me its actually 62.5 yrs or something :flowers:)

It takes time and they can't just "turn up" - they need to be invited.

Posters need to be more realistic

Perhaps this is a reason for the Queen leasing the royal helicopter? Would be a quick hop, skip and a jump to KP and their staff if it was needed. With all the repairs and renovations being made to Anmer Hall, the lease of the helicopter (for all the royals and not just W&K) it looks like they're going to possibly make more use of Anmer Hall than just a place to stay while the family is at Sandringham.

I think we'll know more for certain when an official announcement is made from KP. It even could be that William will work for EAAA but as a unpaid volunteer. We just don't know the for sure facts yet.

I don't think Anmer is just for Christmas but more like Highgrove is for Charles. The trains would be the most cost friendly way to travel to/from London. The Queen takes the train to Kings Lynn for Christmas. William used trains to commute to Cambridge for his course.

I do find them taking an Equerry to be interesting. It would suggest an increase in royal duties.

I really don't know why anyone is complaining...the Queen is going to have them do what she wants done, if she is content with their current duties then what more needs to be said?

LaRae

Exactly. People seem to think that William rules in the RF and everyone just falls into line with what he wants. But, I just don't see how they can think that. I mean, let's remember HM told Charles and Diana to separate and then to divorce. She can put her foot down.

The Queen told William exactly what he would wear on his wedding day, for goodness' sake. On the most important day of his life, she had no problem telling him exactly what to do, and he fell into line, even though I think he has admitted himself that he wanted to wear his RAF uniform on the day.

She decides who goes where on tours, she decides who gets to use the royal train, the helicopter, the palaces etc. etc. The Queen is no shrinking violet; she is clearly the head of the firm.

If William were putting off full-time royal duties to play polo and galavant around the world on holiday, I would be the first to criticise. But that's not what's happening here. He's choosing to do a dangerous job at the service of the general public. He's going to be serving his country and its people, just in a different way.

It wasn't the RAF uniform but the black bow one of the Irish Guards that he wanted to wear and did wear for the drive back to Clarence House.

Look at today- William and Harry played polo today. But they didn't just play to play. The played to raise funds for their charities.

Exactly. People seem to think that William rules in the RF and everyone just falls into line with what he wants. But, I just don't see how they can think that. I mean, let's remember HM told Charles and Diana to separate and then to divorce. She can put her foot down.

She can put her foot down and occasionally does, but we have conflicting information on that subject. HM is reputed to bury her head in the sand on some things and not interfere or intervene until it becomes unavoidable. Though she ultimately told Charles and Diana to divorce, it took a jolly long time for her to get sufficiently motivated to interfere in their private lives and a lot of damage had been done by that stage.

We don't know what aspects of William's life she is advising him about as his grandmother but ultimately allowing him to make his own decision, and what aspects she is dictating to him about as Queen. And I also tend to think that a large and loud and determined grandson might be able to get his own way with a very elderly grandmother when he really makes up his mind about something.

I am certain that there are times she takes his thoughts/opinions into consideration since he will one day be the king, however Charles is the heir, he's the one helping run the show. The Queen seems anything but a elderly grandmother. She seems very much in control.

Personally I think the Queen wants to avoid putting William and Kate into a situation like Diana was tossed into...I think she wants them to have time to gradually come into their 'jobs' and strengthen their marriage along the way not to mention giving them time to have children without that workload we saw the Wales's take on.

LaRae

She can put her foot down and occasionally does, but we have conflicting information on that subject. HM is reputed to bury her head in the sand on some things and not interfere or intervene until it becomes unavoidable. Though she ultimately told Charles and Diana to divorce, it took a jolly long time for her to get sufficiently motivated to interfere in their private lives and a lot of damage had been done by that stage.

We don't know what aspects of William's life she is advising him about as his grandmother but ultimately allowing him to make his own decision, and what aspects she is dictating to him about as Queen. And I also tend to think that a large and loud and determined grandson might be able to get his own way with a very elderly grandmother when he really makes up his mind about something.

"As I learned from growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother."

I love that quote. :D

I'm sure there is give and take between the Queen and her grandson and they both listen to each other but I would surmise that in matters concerning the monarchy and the Firm, The Queen's decision is one William would honor and respect and follow. I think that William would also be the same with his father.

I am certain that there are times she takes his thoughts/opinions into consideration since he will one day be the king, however Charles is the heir, he's the one helping run the show. The Queen seems anything but a elderly grandmother. She seems very much in control.

Personally I think the Queen wants to avoid putting William and Kate into a situation like Diana was tossed into...I think she wants them to have time to gradually come into their 'jobs' and strengthen their marriage along the way not to mention giving them time to have children without that workload we saw the Wales's take on.

LaRae

If that's the case, then she needs to say it publically. The press have put out very negative stories about William and Catherine over the past 2 days. Royal watchers might know that the content has been 99.9% rubbish but most people would take it at face value.

I wanna say if as you say William became or was to strident or insistent with his grandmother about his wishes Phillip would step in at some point and theirs no arguing with that force of nature.

The headlines have been bad for the Cambridges but royal headlines are always misleading.

I don't think this will have any long term impact because in the big picture, other royals less popular than W&K have endured much worse.

William did not attend Ascot but he always finds time to play polo or to attend a sports related event. He also didn't attend any of the garden parties.

His royal duties seem to center around him and not the family.

If the stories are true about him only working parttime as a royal so that he can fly again then why did they spend £4 million on a KP apartment?

Sine when is attending Royal Ascot a royal duty?

The Queen spent £4 million on KP as it came from the Sovereign Grant

When he and Harry play polo they are raising money for charities that they support. Look at their shirts.

William did not attend Ascot but he always finds time to play polo or to attend a sports related event. He also didn't attend any of the garden parties.

His royal duties seem to center around him and not the family.

If the stories are true about him only working parttime as a royal so that he can fly again then why did they spend £4 million on a KP apartment?

His polo is to support his charities. Ascot is not a royal event except for HMQ and DoE. When he attends football matches he does so as the PResident of the FA and rugby as President (or Patron) of Welsh Rugby Union.

Attendance at RGP's is at the invitation of the Queen.

If he takes up the position with the Air Ambulance that means he is using his skills (some people who complained about the waste of his training) for a charity.

If that's the case, then she needs to say it publically. The press have put out very negative stories about William and Catherine over the past 2 days. Royal watchers might know that the content has been 99.9% rubbish but most people would take it at face value.

Really ....I generally thought the Queen did not say such things or even acknowledge these sorts of stories. You can't win with the media.

Quite frankly it's really not a concern to anyone but the Queen. If her grandson is shirking his duties she will address it.

LaRae

:previous: if she said something "informally" such as she's very proud of what he was doing or was quoted as saying that, it would help a lot.

assuming of course all these rumours are true :lol:

What William and Katherine do in terms of royal appearances and duties are decided by either Claridge House or Buckingham Palace. They have input, but the extend of their duties are controlled by the Queen and POW. If the Queen decides they must do 60+ hours a week, then she will let them know.
Personally, I think the Queen and Prince Charles want William and Kate to enjoy being parents will performing their royal duties. Something neither of them were able to do.

So true. So many people don't understand this and as a result feel the Cambridges aren't doing enough. If they have a complaint, complain to HM and the POW.

Reading some of the posts it seems that whatever Kate and William do they're going to have someone bashing them. And since when did the Daily Mail become a "news source". Rumour source is more like it.

Last edited:
There are some who say the queen was too slow in forcing Charles and Diana to divorce, she could of saved the RF lots of embarrassment by acting sooner. There is more negative press regarding 30'somethings who don't have proper full time work and just coast through life waiting for the day when they become the heir to a throne. If Charles and the Queen are any indication, then W&C have a very long wait. So provide a good example to other people of their generation and stop leaching off the parents, get a job! This is not about showing the world they can recycle clothes, fly economy or take their own photos, this is about showing the world They Are Not Afraid To Work Hard!! This says I may have money & a title BUT are not afraid to do a hard days work.

A question: When, at what age, is it acceptable for W&C to work full time/more than they do now?

Its not so much their age but position in the family. William is the Queen's grandchild, not her son.

The more royal engagements they undertake, the more money it costs for travel and additional staff and there is believe it or not only so much money to go around.

Charles is funding 5 senior royals from his income and the Queen funds the rest.

I think W&K and Harry will gradually take on more but not much because adding more people to the payroll without some retiring isn't an option.

Charles would have to either cut back or the money just isnt there

But the heir to the throne may struggle to foot the growing bill if Prince William, Kate, and Prince Harry end up taking on much more royal work as the Queen and Prince Philip slow down.
Charles's principal private secretary William Nye conceded that his boss would have to look carefully at how much he could continue to fund the activities of the three younger royals in addition to his and Camilla's duties if the balance of work changed.
That may come to a head if William decides in September to quit his job as an RAF search and rescue helicopter pilot and become a fulltime working royal. "Whatever the Duke of Cambridge's plans, the Prince of Wales would have to look carefully at how he continues to fund the official activities of the staff and support for the five senior members of the Royal Family whom he is paying for," said Mr Nye.
Prince Charles paid £1m a year to support Prince William and Harry in official duties | Royal | News | Daily Express

Charles private secretary says as much here

Also I mean- isn't being a full time air ambulance pilot a full time job that involves hard work? I don't see why William taking a new full time job has people crying work-shy.

I don't see the need for Harry to leave the army for full time royal life. Andrew stayed in the navy for many years as the second son of the monarch so even when Charles becomes King. Harry could still remain in the military.

If William and Kate do around 200 engagements year that would be 400 so around what Anne and Charles do a year number wise. I don't think they would have to increase their staff. If they do 2 foreign tours a year, if one is to a realm country that would be paid for by the country.

The Queen had more working royals at her disposal than Charles will have so Andrew was spared and I'm quoting directly Charles's private secretary and he says the money just isn't there if the balance of work shifts.

When William is needed full-time it will be for Harry as well. Harry will be expected to shoulder almost as big a role as his brother.

Flying an air ambulance and continuing royal engagements as he has been doing is perfectly acceptable for a modern royal.

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

You lose the Queen and Philip, they are replaced by Charles and Camilla. William and Kate take over as Prince and Princess of Wales. You still have Charles's siblings. The Duke of Gloucester is slightly older than Charles. The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandria will be the first of the cousins to stop royal duties so there isn't a huge hole right away for Harry to fill.

Harry isn't going to be as important as William is. He is going to be like Andrew and get pushed down as George and his future siblings get older. In the early years of the Queen's reign, Margaret was heavily involved but as Charles and Anne became adults she wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom