Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that William & Catherine attended the Reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps last year and most likely will attend again this year, I think they will step up and start attending State Events for now on. I get the feeling had they not been on their way to Australia & New Zealand, I think the Cambridge's would've attended the Irish State Visit last month.

Them attending events like that and increasing their official engagements is what gives the Cambridge's the experience they will need for their future roles as Prince & Princess of Wales and future King & Queen.

Last edited:
The fact that William & Catherine attended the Reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps last year and most likely will attend again this year, I think they will step up and start attending State Events for now on. I get the feeling had they not been on their way to Australia & New Zealand, I think the Cambridge's would've attended the Irish State Visit last month.

Them attending events like that and increasing their official engagements is what gives the Cambridge's the experience they will need for their future roles as Prince & Princess of Wales and future King & Queen.
Why did Harry not attend the banquet for the Irish President?

Harry don't attend State events like that. He's also not a full-time working senior royal.

The perfect royal family seat holder at a state banquet is able to engage those around them in conversation that those surrounding them find pleasurable. And conversation about the seat holders around one.
Not that I think Harry can't do this, but he is still a dashing young guy in a full time military position. I think often, people ask him questions, rather than the other way around. Heck, I'd ask him about his duty in Helman and out of Camp Bastian and I'd want to know his version of what Lesotho is like and how to fix it.
At some point, like Edward, he will slow down and grow into this - but for now, I think Harry as he is has a niche that we all like. It's just not perfectly suited to a state dinner. Yet.

Harry isn't going attend a state dinner before the Cambridges. Singapore is coming to the UK this October for a state visit. I would think that William & Kate could attend this one since they just visited there in 2012.

The perfect royal family seat holder at a state banquet is able to engage those around them in conversation that those surrounding them find pleasurable. And conversation about the seat holders around one.
Not that I think Harry can't do this, but he is still a dashing young guy in a full time military position. I think often, people ask him questions, rather than the other way around. Heck, I'd ask him about his duty in Helman and out of Camp Bastian and I'd want to know his version of what Lesotho is like and how to fix it.
At some point, like Edward, he will slow down and grow into this - but for now, I think Harry as he is has a niche that we all like. It's just not perfectly suited to a state dinner. Yet.

They are taught that sort of thing - especially at Sandhurst. It's expected of officers.

:)Wonderful that he still wants to fly as that seems a passion for him. It will be less dangerous then what he did in Wales, yet he will still be helping people and doing what he loves. Being a young yet, he should have the time to do this before his life is taken up with all the royal duties that lie ahead of him in the future. A fulfilled husband also means that a more happy family life with wife and children. Glad to see that his father approves of this and the Queen. Nice going Prince William!

I think i will wait for the announcement from Clarence House first. The Times Royal reporter has not been the most accurate. She was the one that listed George's godparents before the day- most were wrong also she reported that William was going to leave the RAF and go back to the Household Calvary-Also wrong.

From the website of the East Anglia Air Ambulance, the helicopter they use only has one pilot. Wasn't one of the reasons, he left the RAF was the shift work made royal duties more difficult. He would have to work shifts again with the ambulance because it would have to be manned 24/7/365. It would have been easier if he just stayed in the RAF and went to the SAR base in Suffolk until the outsourced.

I think i will wait for the announcement from Clarence House first. The Times Royal reporter has not been the most accurate. She was the one that listed George's godparents before the day- most were wrong also she reported that William was going to leave the RAF and go back to the Household Calvary-Also wrong.

From the website of the East Anglia Air Ambulance, the helicopter they use only has one pilot. Wasn't one of the reasons, he left the RAF was the shift work made royal duties more difficult. He would have to work shifts again with the ambulance because it would have to be manned 24/7/365. It would have been easier if he just stayed in the RAF and went to the SAR base in Suffolk until the outsourced.

Never heard that before. The reason given in the UK is that his 3 year secondment was at an end. Choices were to stay (but SAR is being privatised so that was not possible); return to the army; or leave.

The airbases for EAAA are at Cambridge and Norwich - within easy reach of Anmer (and a lot closer that Wattisham in Suffolk). It is a charity so that is in line with supporting such causes.

Shifts are 10 hour rota on 5 days on and 3 days off.

It makes sense but I too am waiting on a formal announcement.

Last edited:
I hope he is able to take up this post but I do wonder if the security implcations would be immense given that he would be operating in populated areas unlike his coast guard duties.

I hope he is able to take up this post but I do wonder if the security implications would be immense given that he would be operating in populated areas unlike his coast guard duties.

Generally the Air Ambulance is going to less populated areas and within a controlled environment, ie to airlift accident victims where the police would be in charge. The East Cambs/West Norfolk area is very rural and the road network is poor hence the need for the Air Ambulance.

Only a year ago the Duke of Cambridge gave up his wings as a RAF rescue pilot. But it appears that the lure of the skies may be too tempting for him to resist.
Speculation that the Duke may soon be back in the cockpit is gathering pace after reports that he was considering taking a role as an air ambulance pilot.
The news comes after he stepped down as a search-and-rescue pilot with the RAF in Anglesey last year to embark on full-time royal duties.

Prince William could take to the skies again as air ambulance pilot - Telegraph

I just remember how many times in this thread that we knew what he was going to do and that it would be announced "soon." :ROFLMAO:

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2h
William's office will have a big credibility problem if he's been getting his flying hours up for air ambulance

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter May 25
I know William's keen to keep up his flying and combine that somehow with his role. I've have written about that.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2h
Well, a senior aide said in NZ that he didn't see how training for a commercial licence fitted in with W's plans

:previous: Getting his commercial flying license and keeping up his air hours just may be for the purpose of working with Air Ambulance but for all we know, he could be doing this because he likes it and could be volunteering his time when he's at Anmer Hall on the weekends. Its not far fetched to think that a royal could and would have an inclination to do things that make them happy such as gardening? :whistling:

This is true Osipi. Let him do what he would like. I don't know how much Catherine would like it though. Maybe now that she has George she might be o.k. At least she wouldn't be lonely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

WA is King and he manages to keep his commercial license, why not William?

For those who are familiar with the area - just how far is Amner Hall (Sandringham estate) from the air ambulance base in Norwich? I checked it on a map online and it seems about an hours drive. The other air ambulance base in Cambridge was over an hours drive from Kensington. Checking on a map online is one thing, but does anyone know realistically what these distances are like to actually commute?
I'd be surprised if William returned to a full time flying job. Perhaps he's going to become a patron of the organization and sources have seen him meeting with members of the air ambulance rescue to discuss this and have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

:previous: It's a pretty fair article. After all this time, we're all still trying to figure out what William and Catherine will do next. At first, I thought his "transitional year" was to gradually take on more official duties and embark on more charitable ventures. Although I'm hoping just that would be the case, I've become a bit confused.

Also, this idea of becoming a full-time royal isn't really bad or boring at all. Prince Andrew once said that you could either see royal life as a burden or opportunity. I personally see it has an opportunity do go on and do some amazing things for other people. It's not all about shaking endless hands and cutting ribbons. I think William's father has proven that being a full-time senior royal have some very good advantages.

I think the part in the Richard Kay article where it says William is quick to remind his domestic staff to curtesy to his wife bit is a bit of a stretch.

I hope William does become a pilot for the air ambulance. Since he is not the first in line to the throne, he faces perhaps 30 or more years of planting trees or unveiling plaques and trying to look fascinated by the inscription. At 65 Charles still faces perhaps 10 or more years of waiting in the wings and even through the Queen is delegating more duties to him, he still has to wait his turn. And with the life longevity experienced by the royals, William faces an equally long period before he becomes king. I've read about how William isn't too excited about becoming king. Having a real career might really help him feel like he is doing something meaningful. He apparently enjoyed his time in the military. Maybe flying again is the best thing for him to do.

Richard Kay strike again! Amazing the number of people who believe what he writes.

And he always manages to have a dig at Charles.

He does have a good track record though.

He was Diana's favourite reporter and the one to whom she gave many scoops so he has the street cred to be believable because he was right so often in the War of the Wales' years.

He always has to have a dig at Charles because he was always in Diana's camp.

I do believe that he still has a number of contacts within the Royal Household and so there is a good chance that he is on the money again but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom