The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Well when Charles ascends the throne I think all three will be full-time. What William was referring to is the term 'full-time' comes with no requirements.

When we look just at the engagements totals in the CC this becomes clear. Charles and Camilla are both 'full-time' royals and yet Charles carries out well over twice the number of engagements. The point is you're just royal. You either work for the firm or you don't.

So according to the YouGov poll from April an overwhelming number of people think William should work as an air ambulance rescue pilot and carry out royal engagements.

When more is needed of them they'll be there.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think within two years, the Cambridge's main focus will be on official royal duties. William has even said that he knows what's around the corner, and the doors of him having an outside job is closing.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think within two years, the Cambridge's main focus will be on official royal duties. William has even said that he knows what's around the corner, and the doors of him having an outside job is closing.
It could be next week and it could be 5 years from now. No one really knows. The main thing is that none of it will come as a big surprise and the Cambridges will be prepared and ready to do whatever is required of them when the time does come.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It could be next week and it could be 5 years from now. No one really knows. The main thing is that none of it will come as a big surprise and the Cambridges will be prepared and ready to do whatever is required of them when the time does come.
Yeah, but he knows the outside job he's doing now will be a short occupation. With The Queen turning 90 and Prince Philip in his mid 90's, William and Catherine will step up their game well before Charles comes to the throne. That's just how it's got to be and they know it. His current job with the Air Ambulance is wonderful and honorable, but it won't be long before it all ends, and royal duties is the only focus.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

People seem to forget that the Queen Mother lived to 102. There really is no way of knowing how long it will be before W&K are needed, the Queen could have another ten years.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Majesty

The Queen Mother did not "work 'til she dropped". She gave up 99% well before.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The Queen Mother did not "work 'til she dropped". She gave up 99% well before.
It wasn't just the work factor either with the Queen Mum. She was there mostly as support for her family. I do believe that her mother was the Queen's private leaning post and foremost confidante right up until the end. They had a very concrete and stable family life and the Queen realizes that is exactly what Will and Kate need to build on with their children also.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think the Cambridge's will wait until someone get sick and pass on. They will focus on royal duties in the need to help The Queen, who's entering her 90's, and Prince Philip, who's in his mid 90's.

Also, their family life will not be affected. The royals aren't on the royal stage 24/7. They will always have a private life, just like other members of the family have.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Is there enough money to support a huge jump in the numbers of the Cambridges say from 80 to 250 without Philip or Queen cutting their numbers back?

William air pilot contract is for two years so I don't see him leaving in those 2 years if Philip and Queen remain active like they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Majesty

Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don't think the Cambridge's will wait until someone get sick and pass on. They will focus on royal duties in the need to help The Queen, who's entering her 90's, and Prince Philip, who's in his mid 90's.

Also, their family life will not be affected. The royals aren't on the royal stage 24/7. They will always have a private life, just like other members of the family have.
They don't have to wait until someone is sick, or on a deathbed. They have to wait for the Queen to decide that they need to become full-time royals. Her Majesty and Prince Philip show no signs of slowing down, so, we have a while yet. You don't think having more royal duties won't effect their family life? They'll see their children less, and that's not something to take lightly, especially when the children are under three. I can see more engagements once both children start school, but not before (more than likely not even then). Her Majesty seems to be fine with the current arrangement, and she knows more about this than any of us. Believe me, if she wasn't satisfied, and wanted change, it would happen. You make the Wueen, and her husband sound as if they're ready to fail, but I'm seeing two peoples let who are enjoying being active, doing engagements, rather than sitting at home, wrapped up in plaid blankets, watching the tele. I don't think we'll ever agree, but I respect your devotion to your views, and always willing to have a discussion. And Skippyboo, thank you for bringing up the piloting gig. My thoughts weren't as organized as I would have liked.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Is there enough money to support a huge jump in the numbers of the Cambridges say from 80 to 250 without Philip or Queen cutting their numbers back?

William air pilot contract is for two years so I don't see him leaving in those 2 years if Philip and Queen remain active like they are now.

The Cambridge's official engagements won't suddenly jump that high. It takes years for the royals engagements to reach numbers like that. The royals who work that many engagements, do so because of the responsibility that they took on over a period of years. Also, The Queen Mother (along with The Queen and Prince Philip) passed a great deal of her charitable organizations, colonelcy's, and other duties down to her grandchildren over a period of time. When she and Princess Margaret passed on, the royals split up many other royal duties.

I don't believe William will wait until his grandmother or grandfather are ill or even pass on to then suddenly drop everything and put the main focus on royal duties. Of course no one knows what will happen tomorrow, but I think he and Catherine will take in the consideration of The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's advanced ages and make that transition smoothly.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

The other thing that gets overlooked is William increasing his numbers does nothing to ease the 'burden' on the Queen if that's really what people are concerned about.

All anyone mentions is William poor 89 year old grandmother but has there been an announcement the Queen is passing along her patronages and charities to William? Thats the only way William can ease her 'burden'

When the palace made the announcement about William's pilot training it said the Queen and Prince Charles were fully onboard.
Some people act like the Queen first found out about it by reading a newspaper or seeing it on the BBC.

Everything in the BRF is planned to the smallest detail. Who does what and when isn't left to chance or the drawing of straws.

As the secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall stated, the process of William becoming familiarised with things has been ongoing for years because no one knows when the succession will happen.

I have pictures of Charles and William visiting the Duchy together in 2004.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

There was an announcement a couple of years ago that the Duke of Edinburgh was voluntarily standing down from quite a number of public patronages and private positions. I believe Edward Wessex took some over and Prince Charles took over the overseeing of the management of Sandringham estate, formerly Prince Philip's domain. I haven't read of William taking any of the many other patronages or duties, however maybe I missed these.

Does any thread here contain the complete details for the number of public engagements Diana performed when she first became a wife and mother (and Princess of Wales) in the early to mid 1980's?

I don't believe these should be replicated, by the way, because the stress clearly harmed Diana at first and the couple's work rate later didn't do much for the Wales's private time as a family either. I've only got odd figures for random years from biographies of Diana and I don't think the numbers I've seen on another thread here at TRF are complete, an aspect which posters discussed.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The other thing that gets overlooked is William increasing his numbers does nothing to ease the 'burden' on the Queen if that's really what people are concerned about.

All anyone mentions is William poor 89 year old grandmother but has there been an announcement the Queen is passing along her patronages and charities to William? Thats the only way William can ease her 'burden'

When the palace made the announcement about William's pilot training it said the Queen and Prince Charles were fully onboard.
Some people act like the Queen first found out about it by reading a newspaper or seeing it on the BBC.

Everything in the BRF is planned to the smallest detail. Who does what and when isn't left to chance or the drawing of straws.

As the secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall stated, the process of William becoming familiarised with things has been ongoing for years because no one knows when the succession will happen.

I have pictures of Charles and William visiting the Duchy together in 2004.
Great points! Thank you for bringing them to our attention. Helps to make things clearer.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
There was an announcement a couple of years ago that the Duke of Edinburgh was voluntarily standing down from quite a number of public patronages and private positions. I believe Edward Wessex took some over and Prince Charles took over the overseeing of the management of Sandringham estate, formerly Prince Philip's domain. I haven't read of William taking any of the many other patronages or duties, however maybe I missed these.

Does any thread here contain the complete details for the number of public engagements Diana performed when she first became a wife and mother (and Princess of Wales) in the early to mid 1980's?

I don't believe these should be replicated, by the way, because the stress clearly harmed Diana at first and the couple's work rate later didn't do much for the Wales's private time as a family either. I've only got odd figures for random years from biographies of Diana and I don't think the numbers I've seen on another thread here at TRF are complete, an aspect which posters discussed.
There's a list here. It was taken from Tim 'O'Donovan's annual figures.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

William took over the Fields in Trust patronage from his grandfather. I don't think Philip dropped a great number of his patronages or there would of been more written about if he dropped several hundreds. I do remember reading that he gave a couple of University chancellorships.

It makes sense for Edward to over some of the responsibilities of the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme with him eventually getting the title and Charles to take over Sandringham operations since he will inherit it.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
There's a list here. It was taken from Tim 'O'Donovan's annual figures.
The way the number of engagements are counted is almost irrelevant. Princess Anne would have had more than two per day 365 days/year. A better way to report would be how many days did they make visits on and how many days did they work on preparation.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Thankyou for the link, Soapstar.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The way the number of engagements are counted is almost irrelevant. Princess Anne would have had more than two per day 365 days/year. A better way to report would be how many days did they make visits on and how many days did they work on preparation.

It's easy to count the days it's done on this forum but the days are preparation isn't because we aren't ever going to know because it's done behind closed doors.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Nobility

I really hope William will continue to take on more royal duties this year. I fully support his flying role, after 15 years of adulthood, he has had sufficient opportunity to choose his own path. But he can't put off full time royal duties forever.

Closed Thread