Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there enough money to support a huge jump in the numbers of the Cambridges say from 80 to 250 without Philip or Queen cutting their numbers back?

William air pilot contract is for two years so I don't see him leaving in those 2 years if Philip and Queen remain active like they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Cambridge's official engagements won't suddenly jump that high. It takes years for the royals engagements to reach numbers like that. The royals who work that many engagements, do so because of the responsibility that they took on over a period of years. Also, The Queen Mother (along with The Queen and Prince Philip) passed a great deal of her charitable organizations, colonelcy's, and other duties down to her grandchildren over a period of time. When she and Princess Margaret passed on, the royals split up many other royal duties.

I don't believe William will wait until his grandmother or grandfather are ill or even pass on to then suddenly drop everything and put the main focus on royal duties. Of course no one knows what will happen tomorrow, but I think he and Catherine will take in the consideration of The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's advanced ages and make that transition smoothly.

Last edited:
The other thing that gets overlooked is William increasing his numbers does nothing to ease the 'burden' on the Queen if that's really what people are concerned about.

All anyone mentions is William poor 89 year old grandmother but has there been an announcement the Queen is passing along her patronages and charities to William? Thats the only way William can ease her 'burden'

When the palace made the announcement about William's pilot training it said the Queen and Prince Charles were fully onboard.
Some people act like the Queen first found out about it by reading a newspaper or seeing it on the BBC.

Everything in the BRF is planned to the smallest detail. Who does what and when isn't left to chance or the drawing of straws.

As the secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall stated, the process of William becoming familiarised with things has been ongoing for years because no one knows when the succession will happen.

I have pictures of Charles and William visiting the Duchy together in 2004.

Last edited:
There was an announcement a couple of years ago that the Duke of Edinburgh was voluntarily standing down from quite a number of public patronages and private positions. I believe Edward Wessex took some over and Prince Charles took over the overseeing of the management of Sandringham estate, formerly Prince Philip's domain. I haven't read of William taking any of the many other patronages or duties, however maybe I missed these.

Does any thread here contain the complete details for the number of public engagements Diana performed when she first became a wife and mother (and Princess of Wales) in the early to mid 1980's?

I don't believe these should be replicated, by the way, because the stress clearly harmed Diana at first and the couple's work rate later didn't do much for the Wales's private time as a family either. I've only got odd figures for random years from biographies of Diana and I don't think the numbers I've seen on another thread here at TRF are complete, an aspect which posters discussed.

Last edited:
The other thing that gets overlooked is William increasing his numbers does nothing to ease the 'burden' on the Queen if that's really what people are concerned about.

All anyone mentions is William poor 89 year old grandmother but has there been an announcement the Queen is passing along her patronages and charities to William? Thats the only way William can ease her 'burden'

When the palace made the announcement about William's pilot training it said the Queen and Prince Charles were fully onboard.
Some people act like the Queen first found out about it by reading a newspaper or seeing it on the BBC.

Everything in the BRF is planned to the smallest detail. Who does what and when isn't left to chance or the drawing of straws.

As the secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall stated, the process of William becoming familiarised with things has been ongoing for years because no one knows when the succession will happen.

I have pictures of Charles and William visiting the Duchy together in 2004.

Great points! Thank you for bringing them to our attention. Helps to make things clearer.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

There was an announcement a couple of years ago that the Duke of Edinburgh was voluntarily standing down from quite a number of public patronages and private positions. I believe Edward Wessex took some over and Prince Charles took over the overseeing of the management of Sandringham estate, formerly Prince Philip's domain. I haven't read of William taking any of the many other patronages or duties, however maybe I missed these.

Does any thread here contain the complete details for the number of public engagements Diana performed when she first became a wife and mother (and Princess of Wales) in the early to mid 1980's?

I don't believe these should be replicated, by the way, because the stress clearly harmed Diana at first and the couple's work rate later didn't do much for the Wales's private time as a family either. I've only got odd figures for random years from biographies of Diana and I don't think the numbers I've seen on another thread here at TRF are complete, an aspect which posters discussed.

There's a list here. It was taken from Tim 'O'Donovan's annual figures.

William took over the Fields in Trust patronage from his grandfather. I don't think Philip dropped a great number of his patronages or there would of been more written about if he dropped several hundreds. I do remember reading that he gave a couple of University chancellorships.

It makes sense for Edward to over some of the responsibilities of the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme with him eventually getting the title and Charles to take over Sandringham operations since he will inherit it.

There's a list here. It was taken from Tim 'O'Donovan's annual figures.
The way the number of engagements are counted is almost irrelevant. Princess Anne would have had more than two per day 365 days/year. A better way to report would be how many days did they make visits on and how many days did they work on preparation.

The way the number of engagements are counted is almost irrelevant. Princess Anne would have had more than two per day 365 days/year. A better way to report would be how many days did they make visits on and how many days did they work on preparation.

It's easy to count the days it's done on this forum but the days are preparation isn't because we aren't ever going to know because it's done behind closed doors.

I really hope William will continue to take on more royal duties this year. I fully support his flying role, after 15 years of adulthood, he has had sufficient opportunity to choose his own path. But he can't put off full time royal duties forever.

I really hope William will continue to take on more royal duties this year. I fully support his flying role, after 15 years of adulthood, he has had sufficient opportunity to choose his own path. But he can't put off full time royal duties forever.
I think that day will come when his father becomes King. It is such a great gift for both Prince William and his wife to be able to concentrate on being a new family while he gets to work on something that he obviously loves. Perhaps both the Queen and the Prince of Wales look back at their lives when their children were infants and toddlers and are happy to let the Cambridges be out of the spotlight for a few years. Once Prince Williams becomes Prince of Wales his life will be arranged for the rest of his life.

I think that day will come when his father becomes King. It is such a great gift for both Prince William and his wife to be able to concentrate on being a new family while he gets to work on something that he obviously loves. Perhaps both the Queen and the Prince of Wales look back at their lives when their children were infants and toddlers and are happy to let the Cambridges be out of the spotlight for a few years. Once Prince Williams becomes Prince of Wales his life will be arranged for the rest of his life.

I agree, but to me it just feels so unfair that his grandparents aged 89 and 94 do so much whereas the 5 HRHs of William's generation do so little.

I agree, but to me it just feels so unfair that his grandparents aged 89 and 94 do so much whereas the 5 HRHs of William's generation do so little.

His grandparents feel like they can handle it, and they're in good health. I don't see the problem with them being active, and letting William, and Catherine be on the back burner for the present. Their time will come, but it will be in the terms of his grandmother, and father.

His grandparents feel like they can handle it, and they're in good health. I don't see the problem with them being active, and letting William, and Catherine be on the back burner for the present. Their time will come, but it will be in the terms of his grandmother, and father.

I have a hunch not. ;) Methinks William is a force. :p

My understanding, William and Catherine are in the process of making that transition, and within two years time, their primary focus will be on royal duties.

My understanding, William and Catherine are in the process of making that transition, and within two years time, their primary focus will be on royal duties.

I also think you are in a process of transition and soon will dedicate themselves entirely to Royal duties.
In my opinion, William will be a Prince of Wales and King as his grandmother, very traditional. It's going to be a good King and will respect the traditions of the monarchy, but of course will do things his way.

I have a hunch not. ;) Methinks William is a force. :p

Oh, I'm sure he is, but from the interviews he's given that his Granny gets the last word. She may allow him to be 'normal' so that he could raise his children with his wife, bit she could easily put her foot, and tell him that the honeymoon is over, and it's time to step up. If they're indeed in the process of a transition, then we'll be seeing this couple a lot more often, and on consistent basis. I choose to believe that at this point things are not changing significantly. William is not the direct heir, so if anyone will step up to the forefront at this point is his father.

It's not like the Queen didn't know William was signing a 2 or 3 year (I forget which) contract with his employer...that was all approved and signed off on.

I have a feeling at the end of the contract, depending on the health of the Queen etc, he will more than likely shift into taking on more royal duties...if that is what his father and the Queen want.

LaRae

It's not like the Queen didn't know William was signing a 2 or 3 year (I forget which) contract with his employer...that was all approved and signed off on.

I have a feeling at the end of the contract, depending on the health of the Queen etc, he will more than likely shift into taking on more royal duties...if that is what his father and the Queen want.

LaRae

That's my understanding too. Nothing is done (at least on a major scale) without the approval of Her Majesty. I don't think Prince Charles would give up the spot in the limelight right now. He is the next King, and his mother more than likely understands that he, and his spouse need to be seen more. I can see things changing when the contract with the air ambulance is up, because George, and Charlotte will be school-aged, or close to it, and that will give William, and Catherine more time to do engagements. However, as you pointed out, it has to be what the Queen, and the Prince of Wales feel is an appropriate step. At that point, William could throw a hissy fit that would make a toddler proud, but there would be no escape.

Oh, I'm sure he is, but from the interviews he's given that his Granny gets the last word. She may allow him to be 'normal' so that he could raise his children with his wife, bit she could easily put her foot, and tell him that the honeymoon is over, and it's time to step up. If they're indeed in the process of a transition, then we'll be seeing this couple a lot more often, and on consistent basis. I choose to believe that at this point things are not changing significantly. William is not the direct heir, so if anyone will step up to the forefront at this point is his father.

No-no, they have to have their third child first. :flowers: Then they can 'step-up'.

I read somewhere that William even said as much (If I am recalling correctly). He gave it two years and it surprised me because I thought he was doing it for the long-haul. But when one reads enough what one reads can become conflated. Maybe I am recalling the 2-year contract and William said nothing on the matter. :flowers:

Anyway, I am rooting for a third child so I have a concealed agenda. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom