The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I believe Catherine dealt with being bullied in school.
I remember that as well. Wasn't she even moved to another school for it?

Old 08-09-2015, 11:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Yeah, if I remember correctly.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Are there any kids who aren't bullied? I don't know that I have ever met someone who wasn't in some form or fashion.

LaRae
Old 08-10-2015, 01:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Are there any kids who aren't bullied? I don't know that I have ever met someone who wasn't in some form or fashion.

LaRae
Well, kids have taken being bullies to a different level these days. These kids have the devil in them.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

LaRae
That is a way of simplifying it. The thing is, the bullies feel bad as well. They usually have a bad homesituation instead where they have no control so they assert control in the only place they can. Most people have probably felt like an outsider or bullied, but it is a difference between people bein mean a week and people being mean for years. And there are also different levels. Plus, adults bully too! I think this is a very important topic that will build self esteem and hinder people becoming "rejects". I think it's shoving it under the rug to just say "well, everyone get's bullied a little in school!"
Old 08-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
As do I. Factor in I was the first Visually Impaired/Legally Blind Student at my High School, among other Medical Issues, along w/the Principal and more than a few Teachers being as Jon Stewart would say...Douchebags, and that's being extremely polite I might add, about how the other kids took advantage of my limited vision... It is both amazing that I didn't have a complete Mental Breakdown *and/or* end up in a Wheelchair thanks to how many times I had "assisted" trips down the stairs and into lockers.

I always say I did not Graduate High School. I Survived it!!

I also firmly believe one thing. If we really want to make a change in fighting this issue, we need to call it what it is. Bullying is just an excuse word/label AFAIC. I was never bullied. I was Emotionally, Mentally and Physically Abused. Even now I hear people say, "Oh, that's just a normal part of growing up." when this issue comes up. I truly believe if we call it what it is, abuse, then we will finally make headway towards the end of what goes on our schools and Society.

Hopefully William taking on this issue will do just that. The other kids he went to school w/had to have great "delight" in using the details they saw in the papers from The War of the Waleses to make William's life, at the very least, miserable. Add on Diana's tragic death and...

This one issue is one he has intimate knowledge of and can make a very real difference in. I only hope William can, because he is sadly fighting an uphill battle due to how entrenched, in my words, kids abusing kids being a normal part of childhood and school still is in so many people's minds.

I wish William all the luck in the World on this one. We've lost too many due to what having to deal day in and day out w/the sheer Hell school is for them. This has to end!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I had an assistant principal of my high school tell me that if I would have kept my mouth shut, then I won't have any issues. Now, mind you, all I did that time was defend an elderly teacher, in hopes of preventing a prank, which involved the kids hiding under desks in the darkened classroom. I have a visual impairment too, and being in a darkened classroom made me feel extremely unsafe, but when I tried to explain that, along with the fact that the teacher didn't have to teach our class, and could have the last period off, but took us on since we were the advanced placement section, I was told by a classmate that my purpose in life was to be the butt of jokes, and malicious pranks. I sincerely detested school, due to incidents like these, that occurred more often than not. The worst part though, is that people feel that stuff like this builds character, while, perhaps it does in a way, it can also lead to permanent psychological damage. In my case, since the bullying went on in university, then again at my former place of employment, It brought me to a diagnosis of PTSD. I guess for this reason, I always made sure that any bullying in my classroom was nipped in the rear. Now, yes, I had preschoolers, but they can be pretty nasty too. I had a student who enjoyed making other kids cry. According to his parents, he did it to his sister at home too. I cannot tell you how many times I had to pull this boy aside, and tell him in no uncertain terms that he was being hurtful. I think I was even harder in him when he picked on the kids that had a visual impairment, because I never want to see a child go through what I went through. I sincerely hope that with William, and Catherine working to battle this nastiness, something will change. No one, child, or adult, should have to feel physically ill at the thought of going to a place that is supposed to be safe.

Quote:

LaRae
Sadly, today, bullying is everywhere, and due to social media, it can practically follow a person around all day long, with no interruptions. What worries me more, is the fact that this is happening not just in schools, but in places of employment. There's little support for those who are going through this, because many psychologists will sit there, and start telling the person who is bullied that it's his/her social skills that are the issues. Now, what if this person has never been able to form proper social skills due to negative social interactions, and bullying? Where do,we stop with blaming the person who is being hurt, and starting to actually help that person to heal? I don't care what anyone tells me, but bullying/physical/emotional abuse should not be a part of anyone's experience growing up, or beyond. It doesn't build character, but sadly, destroys it. In any case, really looking forward to seeing what this couple will do to make the situation better, even if it's raising awareness, because every little bit helps.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles was bullied in school.

He had to endure years of being bullied and no one came to his aid.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

There it might have been a similar scenario as to what happened when the future George V entered the Navy. The boys always took advantage of him and his brother because they knew it was their only chance to do it, because when they went back hame and got older, George and his brother would be proper British princes while the other boys would still be in the Navy.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:

This kind of thing infuriates me. I know that when Charles went to school there was different outlook on bullying, but the fact that even his parents refused to have him change schools is heartbreaking. No matter what circumstances a person comes from, there is no excuse for this behavior. A person is a person first, whether a royal, or a pauper, and doesn't deserve to be picked on, tormented, etc.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

That is where His mother made her biggest mistakes... She let Phillip make all the decisions concerning the children and never intervened. The queen mother wrote letters pleading on Charles behalf but still she refused to intercede.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Yes it was alleged she was badly bullied and her parents took her out and brought her to a new school. It must make some of the comments on other websites very hard to bear, if she ever reads them. Bullying doesn't end in the playground sadly.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I've been bullied for eight years (both in real life and online) so I'm also pleased to see that William is getting involved with ending bullying. What needs to be sorted out the most is the teacher's attitudes towards bullying - they will always try and turn the situation into something that sounds less harmful, even in front of the parents.

Often the bullies have a hard life outside of school but that is still no excuse to make someone else have a hard life. What's the fun in hurting people?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Courtier

Please if the bullying is ongoing get help. I do know about going to people who should help and they don't respond as they should but try counselling, as a form of self preservation. Bullying destroys people.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Yes it was alleged she was badly bullied and her parents took her out and brought her to a new school. It must make some of the comments on other websites very hard to bear, if she ever reads them. Bullying doesn't end in the playground sadly.
I agree; bullying is often taken into workplace, which is extremely disturbing. However, I also believe that if a person being bullied has a great support system, it's a little easier to handle the situation. From what I've read, Catherine has a great support system in her family, and now in her husband as well. The fact that her parents transferred her to a better environment tells me that they wanted their daughter to succeed, rather than deal with the bullies, and attempt to keep up her studies. They did her a great service, and I bet that helped Catherine gain confidemce, and feel better about herself. As to the comments on forums, and other media sources, I'm sure Catherine takes them in stride, or simply ignores them. Like I said, it's all about the support system, and Catherine has wonderful people around her. Also, being happy with her life is a big factor, and I'm sure Catherine feels blessed having a loving husband, and two beautiful children, and that probably helps her deal with whatever nastiness comes her way. She's lucky, because not everyone who is a victim of bullying has that. Hopefully, William and Catherine will emphasize the importance of a support system, because without one, a person could easily feel overwhelmed, and alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I've been bullied for eight years (both in real life and online) so I'm also pleased to see that William is getting involved with ending bullying. What needs to be sorted out the most is the teacher's attitudes towards bullying - they will always try and turn the situation into something that sounds less harmful, even in front of the parents.

Often the bullies have a hard life outside of school but that is still no excuse to make someone else have a hard life. What's the fun in hurting people?
I've had a teacher at my preschool dismiss my concerns when one of her students bullied one of mine. The little boy in my class had the kindest disposition, and loved to play with other kids, especially if it was basketball, or football/soccer. The only issue, he was losing his vision, and could only play with a bright-colored ball. The kids in my class knew better than to try and make fun of him, but the boy from the other group thought it would be fun to take the colored ball, and make my student try and get it from him. The boy kept laughing, and taunting my student, and when I came over, and stopped him, his teacher told me that her kid wasn't being a bully. I'm sorry, but yes he was. My student thought he was involved in a game, while the bully was trying to make fun of his visual impairment. I wasn't having it, so I stopped doing activities with that classroom. I don't care if the other boy was dealing with his parents' divorce, it didn't give him the right to be a little you-know-what to anyone else. Teachers need to stop worrying about 'building character', and focus on modeling tolerance, acceptance, compassion, and kindness. A little training in spotting bullying won't hurt either.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I agree; bullying is often taken into workplace, which is extremely disturbing. However, I also believe that if a person being bullied has a great support system, it's a little easier to handle the situation. From what I've read, Catherine has a great support system in her family, and now in her husband as well. The fact that her parents transferred her to a better environment tells me that they wanted their daughter to succeed, rather than deal with the bullies, and attempt to keep up her studies. They did her a great service, and I bet that helped Catherine gain confidemce, and feel better about herself. As to the comments on forums, and other media sources, I'm sure Catherine takes them in stride, or simply ignores them. Like I said, it's all about the support system, and Catherine has wonderful people around her. Also, being happy with her life is a big factor, and I'm sure Catherine feels blessed having a loving husband, and two beautiful children, and that probably helps her deal with whatever nastiness comes her way. She's lucky, because not everyone who is a victim of bullying has that. Hopefully, William and Catherine will emphasize the importance of a support system, because without one, a person could easily feel overwhelmed, and alone.

I've had a teacher at my preschool dismiss my concerns when one of her students bullied one of mine. The little boy in my class had the kindest disposition, and loved to play with other kids, especially if it was basketball, or football/soccer. The only issue, he was losing his vision, and could only play with a bright-colored ball. The kids in my class knew better than to try and make fun of him, but the boy from the other group thought it would be fun to take the colored ball, and make my student try and get it from him. The boy kept laughing, and taunting my student, and when I came over, and stopped him, his teacher told me that her kid wasn't being a bully. I'm sorry, but yes he was. My student thought he was involved in a game, while the bully was trying to make fun of his visual impairment. I wasn't having it, so I stopped doing activities with that classroom. I don't care if the other boy was dealing with his parents' divorce, it didn't give him the right to be a little you-know-what to anyone else. Teachers need to stop worrying about 'building character', and focus on modeling tolerance, acceptance, compassion, and kindness. A little training in spotting bullying won't hurt either.

I agree. It affects the bullies as well. As you mention, that kid was dealing with his parents divorce but instead of the school accknowledging his behaviour and getting to the bottom of what was causing it he as well continues to go around feeling bad and taking it out on others. It's a really negative spiral that would do alot better being accknowledged than shoved under the rug. So I would be really proud if William and Kate can help better our handling of stuff like that.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

A friend told me about this today, and I've been for joy ever since!
No one better for the job!
Just when I thought I couldn't love William any more- he proves me wrong!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
A friend told me about this today, and I've been for joy ever since!

No one better for the job!

You're spot on. I sincerely hope that people will listen, and there will be more resources for teachers, parents, and general public in general to help prevent, and spot bullying. I'm tired of seeing schools boasting of having a 'zero tolerance policy' when it comes to bullying, but when time comes to put the policy into action, there are a ton of excuse as to why the incident in question doesn't meet the criteria to be classified as 'bullying'. I've attended a seminar on bullying that goes on in schools, and the so-called 'expert' had no helpful strategies.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness

Couldn't agree more about the 'zero tolerance policy' is just lip service schools very rarely follow through and usually make excuses for the bully.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
William is not actually doing anything. He is having someone else come up with the idea.

When Charles talks about bullying, he is whining.

If Kate talked about bullying, she would be seen as whining.

William is praised for hiring someone to come up with something about bullying.

Charles and Catherine are better spoke persons against bullying than someone who was known as a bully.

Check out William at preschool and his early years...
Old 08-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Majesty

Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

Quote:
William is not actually doing anything. He is having someone else come up with the idea.

When Charles talks about bullying, he is whining.

If Kate talked about bullying, she would be seen as whining.

William is praised for hiring someone to come up with something about bullying.

Charles and Catherine are better spoke persons against bullying than someone who was known as a bully.

Check out William at preschool and his early years...
I admire His Highness, truly I do, but his preschool behavior reminded me of a little boy I had in my nursery class. However, I'm sure now he understands the effects of bullying, and more than likely, hearing his wife's experience really brought the point home. We'll never know if he came up with the idea, or hired someone to do so, or had the idea suggested to him. The fact that he chose to take it up speaks volumes. I'm sure if he didn't want to bother, he could have refused, and we wouldn't ever know about it. And I can tell you, that to a young child, that is being bullied having someone like William take up the cause is a huge deal. We know how good the man is with children, so if, and when he does an engagement concerning the issue, he will touch many hearts, and then it truly won't matter one bit how the idea came about.

Closed Thread