The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1681  
Old 08-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,380
Story is behind a paywall. Maybe someone can provide more details.

Quote:
PRINCE WILLIAM is to devote himself to championing the cause of young people who suffer bullying or mental illness. He has asked his aides to help him establish what he sees as his defining role until he becomes king.

The prince, who began work as an air ambulance helicopter pilot last month, will continue with his royal duties but believes he should focus on helping young people when he leaves the job in about two years’ time.

He will scale down his emergency work as Prince Charles takes more royal duties from the Queen, with William in a supporting role.
Prince flies to aid of troubled youths | The Sunday Times
__________________

  #1682  
Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Somewhere in time, Canada
Posts: 20
The British People are going to someday have a king that knows the people. In working directly with the people many ordinary people will be coming in contact with him during these times that he is working and that makes a positive impression on the ordinary people. There is no better way for the monarchy to survive then to have a king who understands and works for and with the people. IMO I see William as being a very wise young man who really thinks things through not just for today but for the future of the kingdom, you could not ask more a this young man.
__________________

  #1683  
Old 08-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I guess you could call both Will and Harry the get down and get dirty type of guys. They're definitely not figurehead kind of guys but guys that like to know the ins and outs of things and experience it for themselves. Perhaps they learned "practice what you preach" from their dad eh?
doubt it. Id say they got the "get down and dirty" gene from Mama....

and I do not believe he will be managing the Duchy but rather living well from it's income.
  #1684  
Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Queen Camilla's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,861
William meets very few people in his job.

If he worked as a royal rather than a private person, he would encounter more people from more walks of life.
  #1685  
Old 08-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William meets very few people in his job.

If he worked as a royal rather than a private person, he would encounter more people from more walks of life.
Well. Here he actually MEET the people on a level that he doesn't as a royal. Yes, he encounters more people as a royal (although, in his line of work he encounters his fair share) but as a royal you say a few words and are nice but you don't get to know the people. In his job he works alongside "normal folks" and will here the talk around the lunch-table etc which is a kind of "watching in it's natural habitat" he doesn't get when visiting something in his royal role. This is probably the same reason he has slept on streets with the homeless, worked 2 weeks in a castle or something like that etc. I think he likes to immerse himself in enviorments outside his royal bubble.
  #1686  
Old 08-09-2015, 02:40 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Well. Here he actually MEET the people on a level that he doesn't as a royal. Yes, he encounters more people as a royal (although, in his line of work he encounters his fair share) but as a royal you say a few words and are nice but you don't get to know the people. In his job he works alongside "normal folks" and will here the talk around the lunch-table etc which is a kind of "watching in it's natural habitat" he doesn't get when visiting something in his royal role. This is probably the same reason he has slept on streets with the homeless, worked 2 weeks in a castle or something like that etc. I think he likes to immerse himself in enviorments outside his royal bubble.
That statement is putting it all neatly into perspective. Day to day interactions with the people he works with and comes into contact with as William the man and not HRH The Duke of Cambridge. Even those among us that will most likely never see or meet William in person can get the feeling that this is a man that sees the world basically as we do at ground level and not a lofty view from an ivory tower. It just seems to make him more approachable.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
  #1687  
Old 08-09-2015, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,380
Diana Award ‏@DianaAward
Check out the @thesundaytimes story on the Duke's future role helping young victims of bullying & what @Ttall said!

https://twitter.com/DianaAward/statu...91173408645120
  #1688  
Old 08-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Diana Award ‏@DianaAward
Check out the @thesundaytimes story on the Duke's future role helping young victims of bullying & what @Ttall said!

https://twitter.com/DianaAward/statu...91173408645120
I think bullying is a cause that both William and Kate share a passion for. Beatbullying was one of the charites selected by the couple for donations to be made to in lieu of gifts at the time of their wedding. That organization has been shut down from what I've seen so I'm happy to see William finding another way to bring attention to this cause.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
  #1689  
Old 08-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,380
More from the Sunday Times article

Quote:
Prince William will soon be expected to scale up his royal duties as his father, Prince Charles, 66, begins helping out his ageing mother Queen Elizabeth II more actively in her royal duties.

In preparation for his future role, Prince William, 33, has asked his aides to help him establish how he can champion the cause of young people who suffer bullying or mental illness, 'The Sunday Times' reported.

The prince, who began work as an air ambulance helicopter pilot last month, will continue with his royal duties but believes he should focus on helping young people when he leaves the job in about two years' time.

"He has spent a lot of time over the past couple of years, away from the public eye, visiting young people who are struggling to cope.

"When he spends time with them, he finds that, partly based on his own experiences, he is able to connect deeply with them," the newspaper quoted a royal aide as saying.

William has expressed particular interest in helping those suffering from depression, breakdowns, cyber-bullying and homophobic bullying, and is said to be concerned about the number of young gay men committing suicide.

It is thought he is also keen to help young people struggling with loss and grief.

The prince has asked The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, the charitable vehicle he shares with his wife and brother, to identify charities and campaigns that could benefit from his support.

His memory of losing his mother, Princess Diana, in a car crash in 1997, when he was 15, is understood to have influenced his decision.
Prince William to help troubled youth | Zee News
  #1690  
Old 08-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 2,952
Thank you for the articles everyone. I agree that William has the opportunity to actually engage with his fellow citizens who are not courtiers, staff or protection officers on a daily basis with his former SAR and now EAAA roles. Otherwise his encounters are quite different when people are on their best behavior meeting HRH the Duke of Cambridge and following a scripted scenario.

Reminds me of when the late Queen Juliana mentioned that every place she visited on her public engagements "Smelled of new paint." Wanting to have a more true to life encounter with the patronages she supported she began making private visits to the places to engage with the public in a different way. IMO this is what William and Harry would like to do before their roles require them to perform the typical royal duties on a full time basis.
  #1691  
Old 08-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
I'm so happy that William will bring more attention to bullying. Having been bullied, I know the feelings of shame, and at times, helplessness that goes along with the experience, and sadly, many schools ignore the reports of the incidents, or don't label them as 'bullying'. Hopefully, His Highness, along with his wife can help establish more anti-bullying programs, as well as those that help the victims.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #1692  
Old 08-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,416
I suspected that William's new job in the Air Ambulance will be short and his royal roles and duties are on its way to increasing. I'm looking forward to seeing what lies ahead.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #1693  
Old 08-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,380
The BRF always have one eye on the future. Preparations are always ongoing because members can't be caught off-guard.

The secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall said William is briefed and kept up to date because they never know when the succession is going to happen.

William expanding the charitable efforts of the Royal Foundation is part of this preparation.
  #1694  
Old 08-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The BRF always have one eye on the future. Preparations are always ongoing because members can't be caught off-guard.

The secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall said William is briefed and kept up to date because they never know when the succession is going to happen.

William expanding the charitable efforts of the Royal Foundation is part of this preparation.
That's pretty much how I'm looking at this particular bit of news. He is expanding his charity work, while still keeping his current job. No reason he can't do both at this point. I'm sure when it'll be necessary, he will become a full-time Royal. I don't see the need to rush it at this point.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #1695  
Old 08-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The BRF always have one eye on the future. Preparations are always ongoing because members can't be caught off-guard.

The secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall said William is briefed and kept up to date because they never know when the succession is going to happen.

William expanding the charitable efforts of the Royal Foundation is part of this preparation.
I agree. This shows that they are covering all forseeable futures. He could well be third in line for another 10 years or it could change tomorrow. It would make no sense to have him on pause until then but it makes all sense to have a well grounded royal side as well in case that is needed very soon. I think they have their bases covered.
  #1696  
Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,416
It's good to be prepared and I think this news is great.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #1697  
Old 08-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'm so happy that William will bring more attention to bullying. Having been bullied, I know the feelings of shame, and at times, helplessness that goes along with the experience, and sadly, many schools ignore the reports of the incidents, or don't label them as 'bullying'. Hopefully, His Highness, along with his wife can help establish more anti-bullying programs, as well as those that help the victims.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I am sorry to hear of your experience's Daria S. How are you doing now,?
  #1698  
Old 08-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'm so happy that William will bring more attention to bullying. Having been bullied, I know the feelings of shame, and at times, helplessness that goes along with the experience, and sadly, many schools ignore the reports of the incidents, or don't label them as 'bullying'. Hopefully, His Highness, along with his wife can help establish more anti-bullying programs, as well as those that help the victims.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

As do I. Factor in I was the first Visually Impaired/Legally Blind Student at my High School, among other Medical Issues, along w/the Principal and more than a few Teachers being as Jon Stewart would say...Douchebags, and that's being extremely polite I might add, about how the other kids took advantage of my limited vision... It is both amazing that I didn't have a complete Mental Breakdown *and/or* end up in a Wheelchair thanks to how many times I had "assisted" trips down the stairs and into lockers.

I always say I did not Graduate High School. I Survived it!!

I also firmly believe one thing. If we really want to make a change in fighting this issue, we need to call it what it is. Bullying is just an excuse word/label AFAIC. I was never bullied. I was Emotionally, Mentally and Physically Abused. Even now I hear people say, "Oh, that's just a normal part of growing up." when this issue comes up. I truly believe if we call it what it is, abuse, then we will finally make headway towards the end of what goes on our schools and Society.

Hopefully William taking on this issue will do just that. The other kids he went to school w/had to have great "delight" in using the details they saw in the papers from The War of the Waleses to make William's life, at the very least, miserable. Add on Diana's tragic death and...

This one issue is one he has intimate knowledge of and can make a very real difference in. I only hope William can, because he is sadly fighting an uphill battle due to how entrenched, in my words, kids abusing kids being a normal part of childhood and school still is in so many people's minds.

I wish William all the luck in the World on this one. We've lost too many due to what having to deal day in and day out w/the sheer Hell school is for them. This has to end!!



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
  #1699  
Old 08-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
As do I. Factor in I was the first Visually Impaired/Legally Blind Student at my High School, among other Medical Issues, along w/the Principal and more than a few Teachers being as Jon Stewart would say...Douchebags, and that's being extremely polite I might add, about how the other kids took advantage of my limited vision... It is both amazing that I didn't have a complete Mental Breakdown *and/or* end up in a Wheelchair thanks to how many times I had "assisted" trips down the stairs and into lockers.

I always say I did not Graduate High School. I Survived it!!

I also firmly believe one thing. If we really want to make a change in fighting this issue, we need to call it what it is. Bullying is just an excuse word/label AFAIC. I was never bullied. I was Emotionally, Mentally and Physically Abused. Even now I hear people say, "Oh, that's just a normal part of growing up." when this issue comes up. I truly believe if we call it what it is, abuse, then we will finally make headway towards the end of what goes on our schools and Society.

Hopefully William taking on this issue will do just that. The other kids he went to school w/had to have great "delight" in using the details they saw in the papers from The War of the Waleses to make William's life, at the very least, miserable. Add on Diana's tragic death and...

This one issue is one he has intimate knowledge of and can make a very real difference in. I only hope William can, because he is sadly fighting an uphill battle due to how entrenched, in my words, kids abusing kids being a normal part of childhood and school still is in so many people's minds.

I wish William all the luck in the World on this one. We've lost too many due to what having to deal day in and day out w/the sheer Hell school is for them. This has to end!!



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree! I myself was bullied (although not physically) and am dealing with mental illness so them taking up such issues touches me very deeply. Britain and the Royal family has had a policy of "keep calm and carry on" and that's all well and good, but I have been very moved by William talking about how poignant it is to talk! Talk about traumas! Talk about loss! etc.
  #1700  
Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,416
I believe Catherine dealt with being bullied in school.
__________________

__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grahamm grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdulah ii king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament photo picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess eugenie eveningwear princess ingrid alexandra princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania revolution royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises