The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that the last several posts have been very good at summarizing the unique situation that is found in the British line of succession. IMO the public sometimes forget that William has yet to become THE heir-to-the-throne. His position does permit him some flexibility and he does have the support/approval of HM, the DoE, and the PoW to work for the people of the UK. To some people the idea of going to a familiar setting and performing a routine task is comforting and grounds them. I believe that William is one of these people.

As for William's attitude toward his future roles in the British monarchy, I'm always reminded of an answer attributed to CP Victoria of Sweden. She was apparently asked if she looked forward to becoming the Queen of Sweden. She reminded the questioner that in order for this to occur her father would have died and she was not looking forward to that happening. William will walk in two funerals before he ascends to the throne. I can understand why he doesn't overtly show much excitement when speaking of his future royal role.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand what William is suppose to say to please some people. He isn't the next King. With the longevity of his paternal grandparents and the excellent health of his father, it may be 20 years until he is King.

He used the same kind of language with Katie Couric during in 2012. He is balancing the pilot side with the Royal side. Now three years later there is a family side too. As he said there will be a point when the demands on the Royal side will increase. But it isn't today. Maybe it's tomorrow or three years from now. So why not do something that he is good at thru his own skill and hard work (not an accident of birth) that's helps people who need help at a critical juncture. If he didn't have his family's support, he wouldn't be doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 07-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

(I modified my post)

I knew that I was going to be unpopular with my opinion but i don't mind since that was to be expected when Ssmeone posts something disaproving about Cambridges here... but i ca't help feeling unconfortable when i watch what he says on his future (not just this interview but in general)... i always have the feeling of uncertainy and reluctancy... something i dont get with other young royals...

It is endearing to read "he doesn't want hi grandmother to die etc" because of course he doesn't. Nobody does and that is not the point.
When the queen dies, (yes inevitably) he will be the direct heir. That means that he won't have his father to act as a buffer bteween him and the monarch but he will have to do what Charles has been doing for so many years: he will have to step up, to increase royal duties and to leave the flying behind. That also means that despite having a family he will have to accomplish his egagments (like every other royal member does).
IMo he is not remotely ready for the role of the prince of Wales. William must see and accepts this, because he can't avoid it in the long run.

When I look ant other young royal heirs (yes I know they are direct heis, thank you, I am fully aware of this) I see a clear path on front of them, I can picture them as Kings (or Queen in case of Victoria). And I am afraid the only thing I see if I think of William is a blank path. I don't know why, maybe I am crazy and you all are right but that is what I see.. I really hope to be surprised once William become Prince of Wales, bacause I reallt want to be surprised and stand corrected. That is all. So forgive me if I don't have an idyllic vision about him. It is just a different opinion from yours.
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

William's been preparing for the role of heir his entire life. When the time comes, he'll handle it well.

His biggest challenge right now is not overshadowing his father and he's handling it well.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

The path is more clear for other royals because they are the direct heirs. It cannot be stressed enough. Victoria's path is similar to Charles because they are both heirs. Its no good to just lump William in with Victoria, Fred and Haakon.

We have absolutely no idea what changes will come when Charles does become king. Charles will probably make changes as will parliament. After 70 years of the Queen there will have to be changes.

In the meantime though, I think William should do something constructive and rewarding such as flying an air ambulance. Its a commendable form of public service.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

They said back in their engagement interview they wanted a big family...so they may surprise us in the end.

LaRae
Old 07-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
(I modified my post)

I knew that I was going to be unpopular with my opinion but i don't mind since that was to be expected when Ssmeone posts something disaproving about Cambridges here... but i ca't help feeling unconfortable when i watch what he says on his future (not just this interview but in general)... i always have the feeling of uncertainy and reluctancy... something i dont get with other young royals...

It is endearing to read "he doesn't want hi grandmother to die etc" because of course he doesn't. Nobody does and that is not the point.
When the queen dies, (yes inevitably) he will be the direct heir. That means that he won't have his father to act as a buffer bteween him and the monarch but he will have to do what Charles has been doing for so many years: he will have to step up, to increase royal duties and to leave the flying behind. That also means that despite having a family he will have to accomplish his egagments (like every other royal member does).
IMo he is not remotely ready for the role of the prince of Wales. William must see and accepts this, because he can't avoid it in the long run.

When I look ant other young royal heirs (yes I know they are direct heis, thank you, I am fully aware of this) I see a clear path on front of them, I can picture them as Kings (or Queen in case of Victoria). And I am afraid the only thing I see if I think of William is a blank path. I don't know why, maybe I am crazy and you all are right but that is what I see.. I really hope to be surprised once William become Prince of Wales, bacause I reallt want to be surprised and stand corrected. That is all. So forgive me if I don't have an idyllic vision about him. It is just a different opinion from yours.
I agree about not seeing a clear path for William at the moment. He seems to "flounder" around from one thing to another. Avoiding the inevitable, which is full time royal life. Not that I can blame him, he's had his whole life to watch his grandmother and father work tirelessly for their country. I also do not see a clear role for Catherine, except for a few engagements her and there, until William becomes the heir, I don't think we will see as much of her and we would all like. Although, I will say that the engagements and visits they have been on (Australia in particular), both William and Catherine have done a fabulous job representing the monarchy.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I think they'll go for the third child. I've always been sure about it. Just don't so soon as it was with Charlotte after George. I think in the next 2/3 years...
Old 07-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I for one think it's good that we don't see Catherine that much until she's the PoW. She can focus on her family and that is the number one priority for them to have a successful marriage and in turn will help William to be the best PoW and then King as he can possibly become.

LaRae
Old 07-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I agree about not seeing a clear path for William at the moment. He seems to "flounder" around from one thing to another. Avoiding the inevitable, which is full time royal life. Not that I can blame him, he's had his whole life to watch his grandmother and father work tirelessly for their country. I also do not see a clear role for Catherine, except for a few engagements her and there, until William becomes the heir, I don't think we will see as much of her and we would all like. Although, I will say that the engagements and visits they have been on (Australia in particular), both William and Catherine have done a fabulous job representing the monarchy.
Thank you for the support!

I agree with everything you said.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

That's like saying Harry is putting off the inevitable by not being a full-time royal now. Unless Harry plans on giving up all his titles his destiny is to be a working royal during his father's reign.

Maybe both William and Harry will live in Africa and Beatrice will be Queen. Must be what people want.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

When did the title Prince of Wales come with a role? It is just a title. It doesn't come with defined responsibilities. As Prince of Wales can spent your time enjoying show girls, drinking and going to house parties like Edward VII did or you can start up a charity with your Navy pension like Charles did. It entirely up to the individual.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry won't be King. William will be. I think that is a slight difference. And yes,with being "prince of wales" I meant that William must come to the realization he will be the heir...
Old 07-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would hope Catherine's official royal role is more clarified, because although she has done very well with her list of charities and supporting William, I think she's capable of doing so much more as a senior royal. Just the very thought of Her Majesty sending her to Malta to represent her and the "Firm" tells me that The Queen is thinking the same. We all know that Catherine role will increase once she's Princess of Wales, but she can do more as Duchess of Cambridge as well.

I liked that William was asked in the interview "what is he trying to become?" because I think everyone has been wondering what kind of path is he trying to carve

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Difference in roles but not destiny. Harry must be just avoiding the inevitable by playing around in Africa because unless he plans on giving everything up his destiny is to be a full-time royal just like William.

If William needs to be Charles understudy lets make Harry William's understudy. Harry may be needed in a regency role if something ever happens to William
Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I can quite see how people will interpret William's career choices as floundering or avoiding the inevitable or being reluctant as an her to the throne. William admits himself that he juggles the two sides to his life (in the interview he refers to his royal duties as "the other part/side of my life" or something along those lines) and of-course we are used to royals being royal 24/7, so to speak.
But the way I see it is that William has taken an opportunity which seems very rare for royalty in his position and grabbed a chance at a job doing something he enjoys, is good at and will be of benefit to people "while he waits for the inevitable".

Of-course, a way could have been found for him to be a full-time royal had it been practical, necessary or he had insisted on it, but the country is no worse the wear for him doing this job for as long as he is able to.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I see that Harry is broughted up once in a while... Ah he must be very feared, even though he is now away, not bothering anyone...

Anyway, if William doesn't act first, I see no way while Harry should... after all, once George reaches an appropriate age Harry won't be as much of a trouble and finallythe demands will be for the King and heir instead of the what? 5th in line to the throne...
Old 07-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duke of Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Harry won't be King. William will be. I think that is a slight difference. And yes,with being "prince of wales" I meant that William must come to the realization he will be the heir...

William probably came to that realization as a small child. The only people who don't understand their future roles are George and Charlotte.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I would hope Catherine's official royal role is more clarified, because although she has done very well with her list of charities and supporting William, I think she's capable of doing so much more as a senior royal. Just the very thought of Her Majesty sending her to Malta to represent her and the "Firm" tells me that The Queen is thinking the same. We all know that Catherine role will increase once she's Princess of Wales, but she can do more as Duchess of Cambridge as well.

I liked that William was asked in the interview "what is he trying to become?" because I think everyone has been wondering what kind of path is he trying to carve
I think Kate should be given the leeway to define her role just like Camilla is given the time. Camilla likes taking a back-seat role to Charles and being his support. As it stands we are told Camilla doesn't even 'want' to be Queen.

Lets give Kate the same options.

My goodness are William and Kate that popular that people want to see then leading the British Monarchy in 2015?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William probably came to that realization as a small child. The only people who don't understand their future roles in George and Charlotte.

Hope you are right.... The future will tell all what we need to know