The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Let's remember he inherited millions of pounds from his mother, doesn't pay any rent for his homes, has his official expenses paid for either by The Queen or Charles and has his private expenses supplemented by Charles so donating 60,000 dollars isn't that big a deal as he has a much greater income from other sources.
I agree. And the positive press is very high for a relativly small price for them.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Just a pilot? That's like saying a woman who stays home to raise her children is just a housewife.

Sheesh people go educate yourselves on what it takes to be a helicopter pilot.

LaRae

Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I don't think William needs to carry out engagements, including attending garden parties, just because others in the family have, or it will be included in the Court Circular. In my view, it is just not a key step in him being groomed for his future role. To me, it is far more important he assists HM in investitures.
I have to agree. Assisting HM in her duties with the investitures, representing the UK on overseas visits (Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, U.S.) and starting to participate in incoming state visits are IMO more in line for the training he needs.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Just a pilot? That's like saying a woman who stays home to raise her children is just a housewife.

Sheesh people go educate yourselves on what it takes to be a helicopter pilot.

LaRae
I agree. Even being "just" a cashier or "just" a plumber is rude to say... And an ambulance pilot is rarely put as a job in the "just" category... People are really stretching themselves there finding faults!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Just a pilot? That's like saying a woman who stays home to raise her children is just a housewife. Sheesh people go educate yourselves on what it takes to be a helicopter pilot. LaRae
In fairness, I think all the poster meant was that as a pilot he was 'just a pilot' rather being both a pilot and a medic. That's what I read. Just trying to be helpful as it seems the phrase has taken on a life of it's own.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe so Nimue...

LaRae
Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
In fairness, I think all the poster meant was that as a pilot he was 'just a pilot' rather being both a pilot and a medic. That's what I read. Just trying to be helpful as it seems the phrase has taken on a life of it's own.
Yeah, I think it was a bit of that :P But still xD
Old 06-02-2015, 01:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
He is also trained as a bit of medic so that the pilots can help the medics and no places in the helicopter is tken by someone that's not "useful". Plus he will be trained in seeing very bloody accidents. Before he was rescuing people maybe stuck or in the water or such, mostly because of them being in inaccesible areas. Now he will do that as well but also be first responder in accidents were it's so critical that a normal ambulance is to slow. The EAAA said that even if you have worked as a rescue pilot before the level of gruesomeness you see as an ambulance pilot shocks most new pilots. So I think there is an amount of medical training on top of the new helicopter and the more formal thing of getting the civil licence. The 14 tests that has been talked about is only the written tests. On top of that is prectical training and flying tests.

Also.... "Just a pilot"... that's nice...

👏👏👏

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-02-2015, 03:18 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Being on scene where every second is critical (usually here they call for air evacuation in the most serious of cases) is a job where you almost have to have nerves of steel and I think is one of the most emotion draining experience one can come into. In Wales, there was also the element of rough terrain and nasty weather and I can imagine sometimes, even in East Anglia, there will be times when navigating a "hot landing" requires every ounce of stamina one has.

I'm sure William could have kept his salary if that is what he wanted to do but I think donating it back to support the service he is doing sends the message of how important the work these rescuers do. I think he's picked a very noble way of serving the people and the community around him. That's what neighbors do. Look after each other.

Even as a pilot, as mentioned, he would need to have some emergency medical training I bet. Here in WV, even if "just the driver", we are required to have at least the qualification of EMT-B. Emergency Medical Technicial - Basic
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-02-2015, 04:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am sure I remember reading somewhere that he was donating the salary to another charity not the air ambulance.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am sure I remember reading somewhere that he was donating the salary to another charity not the air ambulance.
Actually, you are absolutely correct. It was just clarified recently and I must have missed it.

"The palace has said that William will donate his annual salary – reported to be around $60,000 – to an undisclosed charity. He is splitting his training between Cambridge, Norwich and Staverton in Gloucestershire, the home base for Bond Air Services, the company that directly employs him."

Prince William: Returns to Work as Air Ambulance Pilot : People.com

I'm sure glad I have all you folks to keep me on my toes.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbahlina View Post
So, they just want to work in regular positions alongside everyone else. I hope they can share the comedy and experience the patience the regular working world experiences. One time I was waiting tables in a steakhouse, this guy takes a credit card all cut up and puts it in his food, that wasn't that way when it was served, complains and gets a free meal. I cannot share the rest because those jobs required confidentiality due to the jobs medical involvement, besides, when it is medical it is all medical, nothing is funny. So Duke William gets a view of the regular world he really isn't a part of, but his skill sets are, he has it easy from a social point of view because there isn't one. I don't know what Prince Henry is going to be doing, but when you work, whatever it is you do, it is all about the job. Working is like a hobby, the skill set the tool, the education is the entertainment, the job itself like the payment, the payment the sustaining result that provides basic necessity. So, Duke William is donating his 60 grand salary from being a medic. You gotta be really well off financially to just give that kind of money away like that. He must really love to learn and use what he learned like a need to do so. I can understand being a free medic, but, giving away 60 grand a year is not something I am able to fathom. It's great that he's doing that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
He isn't a medic. He is the helicopter pilot like he was in the RAF for Search and Rescue. It's just for a civilian air ambulance instead of the military which outsourced search and rescue. He already knows how to fly. He just had to pass tests to get a civilian license and now he is training on the specific helicopter he is going to use.

I believe my post is being bashed for saying William is "just the pilot". I didn't use the words just the pilot. The prior post said he was a medic. My response is he is a helicopter pilot. That is his primary job to fly the helicopter. He may have to help more with patient treatment with the air ambulance but it going to be the under the direction of a doctor or paramedic. William isn't going to putt the down the helicopter on the highway and jump out and start directing the treatment.

In the SAR with the RAF, it is the winchman who is the some medical first aid training to help the victim and once they are both on board. The winch operator helps with the first aid. The pilots don't help because their job is to get the helicopter to the hospital asap.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbahlina View Post
ooooh, ok, thanks for the fyi. He just drives a plane. Well, that's nice. It's such a well paid position, isn't it? My husband is a medic, now that is a seriously important job. Here the pilots of the medic aircraft are also medics, so the difference of one flying medic transport but not being a medic is odd. I read an article that Duke William saved someone out at sea, so I assumed he was a medic. Just a pilot, really, that's something I didn't know.
Skippyboo-I believe it is this post that has been the subject of discussion over the phrase "Just a pilot".
Old 06-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Majesty

We don't know and probably never will know exactly what William's level of medical training (if any) is. I think the most important thing to keep in mind here is that when the alarm is raised, its not a medic, a wincher or a pilot that goes out on the call. Its a team. A squad. They depend on each other to do what they do and get the job done.
― John Lennon
Old 06-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Gentry

Wow, just wow

I am a doctor and I can tell you that air ambulance pilots are not "just pilots" or " only flying the chopper" to their colleagues or the patients they transport. Different countries have different requirements for their pilots so I wont comment on William's level of medical training.
Just because he doesnt have the same level of medical training as the medics does not mean what he does is less important. Just like most medics dont need to know how to fly a chopper, doesnt make them " just medics".
Unless you have flown a helicopter with a dying patient on it, you have no idea what it entails.

I hate it when people belittle the role that other people play when saving patient lives. Its not just us doctors, we couldnt function without the paramedics, nurses, allied health, radiology or the pilots who get the patients to us within the "golden hour".

William loves flying and being able to do what you love while helping save a life is a priceless feeling.

So he will not be " just a pilot" or "just flying the chopper" , he, like the rest of his team will be saving lives.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Majesty

I'm trying to think of other members of the BRF-let alone heirs in the line of succession-who actively worked to literally save people's lives, besides those who were soldiers. I commend Prince William for the fine work he's doing. This is a very high calling IMO.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm trying to think of other members of the BRF-let along heirs in the line of succession-who actively worked to literally save people's lives, besides those who were soldiers. I commend Prince William for the fine work he's doing. This is a very high calling IMO.
Princess Alexandra undertook a nursing course at Great Ormond St. BUt gave it up when HMQ needed support with royal duties.

I agree with you re that this is great work and HighnessN has really put in in perspective.

Criticism of his decision seems so strange to me. He is serving the public and should be commended

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post
Wow, just wow

I am a doctor and I can tell you that air ambulance pilots are not "just pilots" or " only flying the chopper" to their colleagues or the patients they transport. Different countries have different requirements for their pilots so I wont comment on William's level of medical training.
Just because he doesnt have the same level of medical training as the medics does not mean what he does is less important. Just like most medics dont need to know how to fly a chopper, doesnt make them " just medics".
Unless you have flown a helicopter with a dying patient on it, you have no idea what it entails.

I hate it when people belittle the role that other people play when saving patient lives. Its not just us doctors, we couldnt function without the paramedics, nurses, allied health, radiology or the pilots who get the patients to us within the "golden hour".

William loves flying and being able to do what you love while helping save a life is a priceless feeling.

So he will not be " just a pilot" or "just flying the chopper" , he, like the rest of his team will be saving lives.
Thank you! Exactly!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Without the pilots, the doctors or nurses or medics aren't going to get to the patients, or get the patients out. The pilot's job is just as important as the doctors and paramedics, if not more so. Let's leave the pilots alone and let them fly, don't distract them with medical stuff. Horses for courses.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree that there are many other thing William can and is assisting The Queen with, but it's just strange and odd that he haven't participated in a garden party for many years. If Catherine, Harry, Charles and Camilla and other royal can attend, so can William. Perhaps he'll try attending this year, but I just find is all odd and odd that it's never been addressed.
I doubt there is any question about if he can attend but rather whether he should. I would assume the queen is very much involved in Prince William's training so if she does not consider it a high priority, any discussion here that he should attend is rather presumptious.

Closed Thread