The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Aristocracy

In reading the bios of several leading landowners in Great Britain, many have earned college degrees in land management or agriculture fields.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness

I think its great for William to study about farming, the land and the management of estates. No, I don't think for your average farm such a qualification is necessary as its more likely that one would learn from doing and seeing from their parents/grandparents. However William is different, he joined the military and learnt about that which is another important part of his future role. Another person could have gone straight into working on a farm but William has a wide range of future roles he needs to meet.
Whats wrong with learning even more about something he will be responsible for in the future?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Aristocracy

In another thread people were complaining that as William doesn't have university degrees in economics, political science, business, etc, like other European royals that he'd lack the ability to be a proper King. Now that he's getting an intensive education about the Duchy he will be running someday, and doing it from a prestigious University with learned professors and other students, he's wasting his time and should be focusing on something else.

Some people would drive a saint to swear.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
In another thread people were complaining that as William doesn't have university degrees in economics, political science, business, etc, like other European royals that he'd lack the ability to be a proper King. Now that he's getting an intensive education about the Duchy he will be running someday, and doing it from a prestigious University with learned professors and other students, he's wasting his time and should be focusing on something else.

Some people would drive a saint to swear.
I'm no saint -

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
there is no way the Middletons will be involved in this. The management team that Charles has put in place are excellent and making so much money that Duchy Originals alone has just given £2.8m to the PoW's charities.

The royals will not muddle family and business.

The Middletons have their own business to run
Obviously not directly Cepe but families support one another through their private family times. I don't doubt Carole and Michael have wonderful discussions with William about his life and future. He knows he's loved by them and that he can trust them. Yes, I firmly believe the Middleton family will help him in an un-official way for the rest of their lives with wisdom and encouragement from their own life experiences. It's what families do. They have in my family.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 AM
Serene Highness

What a great surprise! And very positive! And if he learns something about his father's passion for organic food, that will be a good part of it. There is much to be learned about how to raise food organically, which Charles knows. Charles is somewhat scandalized that people "ridicule" him for his organic gardening. (I don't know Charles, of course, but he has sometimes had the totally quizzical look on his face when someone questions his interest in organics, as if to say, "they just don't get it, do they?")
Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Kate will be involved in all aspects of their lives...including this.

LaRae
Catherine is not a Middleton anymore, whilst that's one side of her family, IMO she should be more dutiful to William and the RF especially if it's involving business matters such as the Duchy of Cornwall. The Middletons run a party business, Charles and his team run the Duchy of Cornwall, there's a difference.

Well looks like they've found something for William to do, evidently not enough work going over the winter period so they've signed him up so he doesn't look lazy. Wonder if Catherine's engagements will increase in this ten week period?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think this was a good opportunity at a good time. Glad Williams is taking this step in his future. I think it will serve him well to take some classes and continue his education.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Catherine is not a Middleton anymore, whilst that's one side of her family, IMO she should be more dutiful to William and the RF especially if it's involving business matters such as the Duchy of Cornwall. The Middletons run a party business, Charles and his team run the Duchy of Cornwall, there's a difference.
Kate will always be a Middleton. The fact she's married William doesn't change that. She still has the same blood and familial ties, and her children are as much Middletons as they are Mountbatten-Windsors, it's just that she is now known by her husband's surname and her children will be known by their father's surname.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

It has always been a "given" that William would take over the land holdings of his father one day. My question is...why did he not study for this while at Uni? He would, IMO, be better off taking a course in how to manage people. He's not going to do any of the work himself, he'll just be managing. When one is in charge of large landholdings, one does not chuck hay. Charles has always "guided" things re: farming and I don't expect William to do any different.

Also, I think it sends a bad message that Kate and George are not going with him. What's with that??? Are there no short-term rentals in Cambridge? Fishy to me.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
It has always been a "given" that William would take over the land holdings of his father one day. My question is...why did he not study for this while at Uni? He would, IMO, be better off taking a course in how to manage people. He's not going to do any of the work himself, he'll just be managing. When one is in charge of large landholdings, one does not chuck hay. Charles has always "guided" things re: farming and I don't expect William to do any different.

Also, I think it sends a bad message that Kate and George are not going with him. What's with that??? Are there no short-term rentals in Cambridge? Fishy to me.
Perhaps he wanted to study Geography / History of Art when at University. I agree he will always have a professional team managing the Duchy's agricultural holdings, but what is wrong if William spent a few months getting a better understanding of managing farms? IMO, it will give him a better insight on how rural life is, and perhaps lend a perspective that politicians typically miss.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The families that I know that have had farming in the blood have passed the information down through the families with no need for university degrees - and yes I come from such a family by the way. My cousin, who is now running the property learnt from his father and his son is learning from him. None went to uni and the son, having just left school has no intention of wasting his time going to learn from a uni course that will teach him what he already knows. He has friends whose families are wanting or have had their sons go to uni to do these courses - verdict - waste of time as they don't actually teach anything that they didn't already know having grown up doing it from childhood. It is regarded by many people as a 'pretentious' qualification to keep the next generation out of the hair of dad for an extra few years and give them some growing up time between 18 and 21 and also the chance to find a wife but not to learn anything they don't actually know.
I don't think William is seeking to get "farming in the blood". His father has (as will William) successfully employed professionals to manage their estates. The royal men are not, nor are they purporting to be, full time farmers with "farming in the blood". This course will just help William get a better understanding of the issues involved in managing farms, and perhaps, a better understanding of countryside issues. This is a perspective that most politicians these days seem to miss, given that most of them are urban people, and I think will hold William in good tsead in time to come - quite like the PoW was able to at the time of the foot and mouth crisis in the country about 10 years ago.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It had been a while since you had brought up the issue of the apparently uneasy marriage of William and Catherine. Well done for spotting the opportunity!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

The course was designed specifically for him, specifically around what he needs to know to manage the Duchy. I'm sure the Cambridge professors in question know what skills he'll need and what he's trying to get out of the course and are best equipped to provide the right information. I'd be very surprised if management wasn't a big part of this course- that tends to be the case for executive education.

And a short term rental with all the necessary security would be a bit silly for a family of 3, since he can commute most days with very little trouble.

William and Kate have maintained a relationship for ten years, often with separation of more than a couple of days. Somehow I doubt this 10 week course signals something ominous.

But people will look for what they want to see, I suppose.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

The subject of Ag management has gained in importance as we look for ways to manage carbon emissions. Simply put, the closer to home one can source one's food the lower the carbon footprint of the food. Likewise, sourcing locally can foster smaller, organic farms that do not have the many controversial issues that large farms present. But taxation, regulation, etc. have to be aligned for small farmers as well as larger concerns for this to flourish.

Ag management has really come of age to include all models of agriculture from small to large. It is no longer something that most people can intuitively understand.

It has nothing to do with passion, but a lot to do with how to foster the future well being of the Nation. Food stability and the cost of food are the bedrock of any civilization. Understanding all the current economic, scientific, social, health, safety and technological issues of modern agriculture is great preparation for any heir to a throne. IMHO
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

The distance from London to Cornwall is not a problem for commuting at weekends which I imagine he will do. Many residents of the UK work/study away from home and return at weekends. Nothing fishy at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

HRHermione, seems we're in the same boat when it comes to looking for what we want to see.

When I worked for a large Swiss Bank, I was sent to what is the US equivalent of this "bespoke" course that William will attend. It was called an Executive MBA program. No one failed, no prior education requirements (not even a high school diploma). If you could pay, you could attend. We took, as part of the course, a trip to Japan...we did have fun touring around, though. On the whole, the course was useless and cost nearly $30,000 per student, 17 years ago. Now, people who don't even have a highschool education call themselves MBA's on their CVs, which is a lie.

Since this course is bespoke, will he be the only student? Seems he would with that descriptive. Point being that these courses are pure moneymakers for the Uni.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
HRHermione, Since this course is bespoke, will he be the only student? Seems he would with that descriptive. Point being that these courses are pure moneymakers for the Uni.
One of the tabs showed a photo of the home (castle?) that people who take the course can stay in. So people do take it in groups. Whether Wills will or not is a guess.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Since this course is bespoke, will he be the only student? Seems he would with that descriptive. Point being that these courses are pure moneymakers for the Uni.
Does it really matter if he is the only student or if he is in a class of 30, the only fact that matters is that he is making the effort to learn more about running one of the family firms.

Also why would anyone expect him to drag his wife and young baby with him for such a short course when he can probably commute to Cambridge daily for his lectures.

I'm pretty sure he is man enough to cope even if has to live in rented accommodation for those 10 weeks, I mean it's not as if he will really be on his own slumming it as he will have his own staff etc to look after him.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I'm absolutely floored that people are finding fault in William expanding his knowledge. I find it especially weird since people were complaining that William only had a geography degree. I just don't get it, why is getting an education a bad thing? I swear, there are some that will criticize everything that William (and Kate) do.

And I'm not understanding how Kate and George staying in London sends a bad message. Sounds like someone is looking for something that isn't there.

Closed Thread