The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Royal Highness

A little insight in this issue from an interview Harry gave in New Zealand:

"This part of the role (royal duties) is fantastic but I and William, both of us feel as though we need to have a wage as well to work within normal people, to keep us sane, to keep us ticking along and also surely in the future from our point of view, if we want to make a big contribution, or a valid contribution and be taken seriously, then we need to work alongside other people."

Old 05-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post

"This part of the role (royal duties) is fantastic but I and William, both of us feel as though we need to have a wage as well to work within normal people, to keep us sane, to keep us ticking along and also surely in the future from our point of view, if we want to make a big contribution, or a valid contribution and be taken seriously, then we need to work alongside other people."
Thanks to him for clearing this up. They want to, feel they need to and will work in non-royal roles for a while. I completely agree with the logic.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

In an age of professional politicians who have no real life experience or connection to the people they claim to represent, I think its brilliant the future King of Canada and his family want to connect with their subjects and work alongside 'real people'.

Its no wonder they're so popular.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post

IMHO this is obviously something that both brothers believe is important to better understand the public they will be serving in the future.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

I totally get what Harry and William are doing. I just think there must be a good balance between work and royal duties. It's good that Harry is focusing on royal duties more, because his military career had completely taken over and his royal duties was very much lacking. Things are changing though. One must be seen helping The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
IMHO this is obviously something that both brothers believe is important to better understand the public they will be serving in the future.
I am thinking that this may be something that Diana brought to the table, so to speak. This connecting with "normal" people seemed to be important to her as a parent. Not trying to slight Charles or his parenting style/skills, I just think this concept was emphasized by her.

JMHO
Old 05-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I totally get what Harry and William are doing. I just think there must be a good balance between work and royal duties. It's good that Harry is focusing on royal duties more, because his military career had completely taken over and his royal duties was very much lacking. Things are changing though. One must be seen helping The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh.
I am not sure I agree that it is important to be seen to be helping the Queen and DoE. They are masters of their own schedules, and delegate as much or as little as they want to.

I think it is important for William, Catherine and Harry to identify their own "niches", and support causes in those areas, as they balance their royal duties with their other careers. For W&C, this has meant carrying out a number of engagements over a short period of time when they are in the London area, and then again a few weeks later when they are again in London.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

If this were to continue once William becomes Prince of Wales, he wouldn't be able to take on so many patronages/visits etc. which I think would not be a bad thing. Not because he is bad at it :) but rather I do think the British Royals as a whole perform so many engagements which could be cut down. Less tours/visits would be less expensive too.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am not sure I agree that it is important to be seen to be helping the Queen and DoE. They are masters of their own schedules, and delegate as much or as little as they want to.

I think it is important for William, Catherine and Harry to identify their own "niches", and support causes in those areas, as they balance their royal duties with their other careers. For W&C, this has meant carrying out a number of engagements over a short period of time when they are in the London area, and then again a few weeks later when they are again in London.
I just think with The Queen in her 90th year and Prince Philip approaching his mid 90's, the young royals have to make sure there is a very good and healthy balance to their outside jobs and royal duties. They can't neglect their royal duties by putting the majority of their focus on their outside jobs. William has publicly expressed that difficulty, and Harry has noticed the difficulty as well. Balance is key, but the windows for the extra jobs are getting smaller by the year.

The concept, which Harry has pointed out, is a very good and levelheaded idea.

Yes, It's important for them to carve out their own roles.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I've come to realize in my time here is that although there's a lot of yellow journalism and places like the Daily Mail where the norm in the comment section tends to lean towards the royals being "spongers" and "whiners" and a mass of other negative connotations, is that the Firm is a well run family business and their business is to support and serve the people. Nothing is left to chance and they very much look to the future and plan as such to keep the monarchy relevant and productive in today's world and they're doing it by example.

Its often been said that actions speak louder than words. To me, seeing the younger royals finding their own ways and means of supporting and serving the people such as Will's work with SAR and now as an air ambulance pilot, Harry's service in the armed forces and championing his wounded comrades and Kate not only wishing to be a hands on full time mother, but also championing various areas where the welfare of children needs attention and then all three of them joining together in a foundation that unites so many causes and so many people for the greater good. To me, these *are* royal duties and in the long run will not only keep the up and coming younger royals in touch with the people, but also keep the people in touch with the future of the monarchy and see that those that represent the Crown are much much more than ribbon cutters or troop inspectors or marionettes to hang gongs on and that they actively strive to serve.

For now, those that actively do the work that appears in the court circular have things in good order and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Charles had to establish what his role as The Prince of Wales was. Now its Will and Harry's time to find their own paths.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I've come to realize in my time here is that although there's a lot of yellow journalism and places like the Daily Mail where the norm in the comment section tends to lean towards the royals being "spongers" and "whiners" and a mass of other negative connotations, is that the Firm is a well run family business and their business is to support and serve the people. Nothing is left to chance and they very much look to the future and plan as such to keep the monarchy relevant and productive in today's world and they're doing it by example.

Its often been said that actions speak louder than words. To me, seeing the younger royals finding their own ways and means of supporting and serving the people such as Will's work with SAR and now as an air ambulance pilot, Harry's service in the armed forces and championing his wounded comrades and Kate not only wishing to be a hands on full time mother, but also championing various areas where the welfare of children needs attention and then all three of them joining together in a foundation that unites so many causes and so many people for the greater good. To me, these *are* royal duties and in the long run will not only keep the up and coming younger royals in touch with the people, but also keep the people in touch with the future of the monarchy and see that those that represent the Crown are much much more than ribbon cutters or troop inspectors or marionettes to hang gongs on and that they actively strive to serve.

For now, those that actively do the work that appears in the court circular have things in good order and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Charles had to establish what his role as The Prince of Wales was. Now its Will and Harry's time to find their own paths.
I could not agree more with you. The BRF appears to be a well run machine, and matters are thought through in some detail. Not all of this may be apparent to us, but that is part of a well thought through approach. What engagements and patronages taken on by whom have all been carefully considered. If W, C & H are seen less has been sanctioned by HM and the PoW. Similarly the decision to not offer on-going royal roles to the York girls would have been carefully considered.

I also agree that William, Catherine & Harry are starting to carve out roles for themselves, just as Prince Charles did c40 years ago.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's a beautiful thing to watch William & Catherine and Harry carve out their own royal roles.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I am thinking that this may be something that Diana brought to the table, so to speak. This connecting with "normal" people seemed to be important to her as a parent. Not trying to slight Charles or his parenting style/skills, I just think this concept was emphasized by her.

JMHO
Good point Excalibur and I agree that their late mother did try to introduce her sons to life outside the royal bubble.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

JMHO
very possibly - as she also had a front row seat at the time Charles was trying to carve his own identity as POW and saw the trouble he had at that time. Charles made his way... and now it is time for William and Harry to create their own respective roles.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

If part of your job (which you got by birth rather than a particular calling) is being scrutinized 24/7 and criticized for almost everything you do, and the press views all this criticism and scrutiny as a revenue generating proposition, you are not a sponger.
In fact, the taxes that people pay as they use you as news, or use your likeness, or sell the goods that you wear, probably more than cover your subsidy.
They could not pay me enough to sit and be a placeholder well into adulthood, waiting for my mother/dad to die so that I can take over. At the same time, you are completely redundant and open to all criticism. It's a crummy position.
JMO
Old 05-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
If part of your job (which you got by birth rather than a particular calling) is being scrutinized 24/7 and criticized for almost everything you do, and the press views all this criticism and scrutiny as a revenue generating proposition, you are not a sponger.
In fact, the taxes that people pay as they use you as news, or use your likeness, or sell the goods that you wear, probably more than cover your subsidy.
They could not pay me enough to sit and be a placeholder well into adulthood, waiting for my mother/dad to die so that I can take over. At the same time, you are completely redundant and open to all criticism. It's a crummy position.
JMO
Well, the world has changed and it make it seem being a popular senior royal is a crazy position to be in today. The media attention and criticism will come and go, but I think the best way to get through it all, is to work hard in carving out your royal role and just get on with things. William has moved on and is busy with his own family now. Harry is now on the path of doing the same. They're fine.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, the world has changed and it make it seem being a popular senior royal is a crazy position to be in today. The media attention and criticism will come and go, but I think the best way to get through it all, is to work hard in carving out your royal role and just get on with things. William has moved on and is busy with his own family now. Harry is now on the path of doing the same. They're fine.
I agree. Stuff they do now might seem a little PR-clumsy at the moment but in the long run will help. These things will be brought up as a positive argument in the future. Just as the queen driving an ambulance/being a mechanic is put forward as a very positive thing now, so will their work. Small dips in popularity doesn't matter in the long haul. When the queen was a young mother (I heard this from a blogcommentors grandmother) there was a lot of gossip and bad publicity over her not bringing up her kids, and leaving them when going to malta. But nowdays the picture is that over all the queen is an impressive person that managed to balance her role and family. William, Kate and Harry are still in the beginning of their "Big picture", so it's not fair to judge them as if the picture is done. After all, the BRF are renowned for their long term thinking.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy

The actions by Williams and Harry to have employment will have an impact on other members of the BRF, now and in the future. Princess Anne's children have jobs. The York sisters should be expected to have jobs as well as the Queen's other grandchildren, when they are older. Harry's children will probably be expected to work.
This is also part of the POW's goal of a leaner Royal Family.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:56 AM
Nobility

If the young HRHs are expected to have jobs, then the press should let them get on with it without blaming them for "cashing in on their status" or "taking away a job from someone else." The current Princess Royal's children are not themselves royal and were always expected to have to find their own way in life. The York Princesses are just that, princesses, who at the time of their births were assumed to have a royal future ahead of them. There is no historical blueprint in Britain for Royal Highnesses to have paying jobs outside of the military - and never for the women. William and Harry were military and now William at least will still be serving the public in his new role as an air ambulance pilot. Harry's choice of paid profession should prove very interesting and it may prove just as difficult for him as it was for his Uncle Edward and Aunt Sophie. Eugenie escaped to the US and rumors have it that Beatrice may do the same. Harry doesn't really have that option.

I know this is more a stream-of-consciousness than a statement, but I hope everyone can follow what I mean.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They set up smaller trusts, if any, for future monarchs.

That is what caused some of the money problems in 1936 - the fact that Edward VIII didn't have a trust fund set up by anyone and thus had no income after stepping down as King while George VI did have a trust fund established for him as the second son. Of course Edward did accumulate wealth as Duke of Cornwall but he wasn't the beneficiary of trust funds from his great-grandmother, grandfather or father. Whether the same thing will happen with George who knows but it is highly likely that a small fund might be established for him but not on the scale of what is established for other children, grand-children and great-grandchildren - simply because he will get the vast majority of the monarch's wealth in time.
That's bunk. Edward VIII had over 1 million pounds from the accumulated revenue of the Duchy of Cornwall and a smaller purse from the Duchy of Lancaster when he abdicated. In addition, ALL of George V's children had trust funds The Government refused to include the Duke and Duchess of Windsor on the Civil List, so George VI also had to fund them from his private funds. Edward VIII called daily in the first months of the King's reign asking for more money and to return to Britain. Finally the new King threatened to cut him off entirely if he didn't stop whining for more money. The King also had to pay at least a hundred thousand pounds to the Duke for Balmoral and Sandringham. I have less than zero sympathy for Edward VIII.

Closed Thread