The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher
at this point, he's being raised as a normal, upper-class child
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue
What does this mean in your eyes? Why is upper-class not royal?

From the moment of his birth, William and Catherine made it clear they were going to do things differently. For example, they didn't notify the Queen or Prince Charles until several hours after his birth. They didn't hire a nanny in the first few months, instead they relied on Catherine's family for help.

William and Catherine have also made it clear they don't want people to address them as "HRH," or bow or curtsey. I'm not sure at what age Charles became "sir," but I am willing to bet money that George will never be known as HRH or "sir" if his parents have anything to say about it.

I'm not criticizing William and Catherine, I support their decisions, but George is not going to be brought up the way Charles, or even William, was. I think that is for the best because the world has changed a lot in the last 30-60 years, but George's modern upbringing will impact the way he will perceive his royal role.

The concept of monarchy is based on the belief that the royal family have, based on their heritage, a duty to represent the UK and, in return, receive a certain amount of deference. I think William agrees that he owes a duty to the people of the UK, but I don't think he believes that he is owed any deference from his fellow Britons (although he would welcome it from the paparazzi).

We don't know how that will influence George but it will certainly impact him. I suspect the monarchy will change drastically with William but, of course, there is no way to foresee the future. William may intend to make major changes but then not do so when the time comes, or the reverse: he doesn't intend to make major changes but will forced to do so based on circumstances.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

US Royal Watcher - Everything you say does not convince me that George is not being raised royal. Being called 'sir' is an anachronism, it's Medieval, and way past it's time. I also see nothing alarming about the fact that George bonded to his mother and extended family rather than a nanny in his first few months.

As best as I can make out, from everything you say, the BRF will be relaxed and modern, like the Danish royal family. A very good thing imo. I say that as an American, with American sensibilities. I can't speak for those under monarchial rule, of course.

Anyway, I think I see William dispassionately. I think his mother never intended for William not to be king. William will be king and will be king with all the sense of privilege and entitlement his class engenders, as will George. Just a hunch.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
US Royal Watcher - Everything you say does not convince me that George is not being raised royal. Being called 'sir' is an anachronism, it's Medieval, and way past it's time. I also see nothing alarming about the fact that George bonded to his mother and extended family rather than a nanny in his first few months.
This reminds me of the time right before his wedding, William asked (and received permission from the governments involved) to go to Australia and New Zealand following the awful catastrophes that hit down under. Meeting with the families that had been affected, he said "Just call me William". To me, it wasn't that he didn't want to be known by HRH or sir but to emphasize the fact that they were the ones of importance and concern at that time. He was sensitive to the people he was with. It was the same in his military role. He was one of many doing a job and he didn't want to be deferred to. There are times when protocol dictates that the deference be in place and I really don't think he'd mess with that.

With George's birth and the amount of global interest in every little detail of how they live their lives, the image that has come across is of a very hands on and closely linked family unit with grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles and sleepless nights and teething. Kate has aimed her focus on her charities to be those that benefit home, children and families. Her support and concern on these matters are so much more believable I think because she, herself, has the hands on home life and tries to set the example of what a happy family life can be.

When I think about it, perhaps with being able to identify and connect with a royal family is all good. Better to be able to feel that one's royal family is approachable rather than see them up in the clouds on pedestals and untouchable.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

As best as I can make out, from everything you say, the BRF will be relaxed and modern, like the Danish royal family. A very good thing imo. I say that as an American, with American sensibilities. I can't speak for those under monarchial rule, of course.

Anyway, I think I see William dispassionately. I think his mother never intended for William not to be king. William will be king and will be king with all the sense of privilege and entitlement his class engenders, as will George. Just a hunch.
I'm not saying that the way George is being brought up is alarming, I'm saying it is different. The world is changing and George is being brought up differently than his father and his grandfather. I don't think it is a bad thing but it will change the future of the monarchy.

I'm not sure I understand your final paragraph about Diana's intent. I agree that Diana was a monarchist and wanted William to be king but that doesn't mean that William wants to be. Even if he does, it doesn't mean he will be.

A lot of things are going to change in the next 20 or so years. There is a question about how much money the government will allow the monarch to spend. Yes, I know the monarch's income in from the Duchy of Lancaster, but that can change--all it takes is new legislation. I think that some of the palaces and estates currently used by the Queen and her extended family will become unavailable as the cost to maintain them increases.

Will George and his sibling(s) be able to follow their own dreams regarding a profession? William is being allowed to do so now but we don't know how that will continue. In the U.S., there is an age limit so by the time Charles ascends, William may be on the brink of retirement anyway.

On the other hand, George will be younger than William when he becomes the heir apparent. How will the public react if George decides he doesn't want to go into the military? What if he really wants to be a doctor or go into the clergy? There is a lot we don't know. What if the public hates the person George wants to marry? What if George is gay? What if George doesn't want to get married and have children?

More importantly, there is a question about how the media and the public will allow royals to live their lives. Will George be left alone when he goes to school or will some the families of other students sell stories about him to the tabloids? Will the media start an unrelenting stream of criticism of William and his family?

All of that will affect William and George's decision. Personally, I think I am looking at it dispassionately and I don't see any evidence that William has any great longing to be a "royal." I do see evidence that he wants to live a "normal" life. I think he has a strong sense of duty, but I think he would be happier if he were in the same position as his cousins, wealthy but not facing the same demands and expectations.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RE_DailyMail: Shortly before departing for Japan and China, William completed and passed his Air Transport Pilot's Licence exams it can be revealed.

@RE_DailyMail: The Duke sat 14 written exams on a range of aviation topics including the Principles of Flight, Navigation, Flight Planning and Air Law.

@RE_DailyMail: After he returns from his tour he will start working for East Anglian Air Ambulance and be formally employed by Bond Air Services.

@RE_DailyMail: He will required to complete further mandatory training, involving aircraft training, in-flight skills testing and further written exams.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
@RE_DailyMail: Shortly before departing for Japan and China, William completed and passed his Air Transport Pilot's Licence exams it can be revealed.

@RE_DailyMail: The Duke sat 14 written exams on a range of aviation topics including the Principles of Flight, Navigation, Flight Planning and Air Law.

@RE_DailyMail: After he returns from his tour he will start working for East Anglian Air Ambulance and be formally employed by Bond Air Services.

@RE_DailyMail: He will required to complete further mandatory training, involving aircraft training, in-flight skills testing and further written exams.
This might help assuage the fears of all those complaining about the lack of public engagements by Prince William.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William closer to job as an air ambulance helicopter pilot after passing 14 'rigorous' exams - and plans to work 'as close to full time as possible' | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Prince William closer to job as an air ambulance helicopter pilot after passing 14 'rigorous' exams - and plans to work 'as close to full time as possible'

• Prince William plans to work as air ambulance helicopter pilot in summer
  • He passed 14 'rigorous' exams on navigation, flight planning and air law
  • Royal must complete ground school training before starting in the summer
  • This will involve simulated training and in-flight skill testing in bad weather
  • He will work for East Anglian Air Ambulance covering Cambridge
By Jenny Awford for MailOnline
Published: 03:56 EST, 26 February 2015 | Updated: 04:13 EST, 26 February 2015

Prince William is planning to start work as an air ambulance helicopter pilot in the summer after passing a 'rigorous' set of exams.
The Duke of Cambridge hopes to work 'as close to full time as possible' flying both day and night shifts after completing mandatory ground school training, which is expected to take a few months.
He had been studying for his air transport pilot licence exams since last September and passed all 14 exams required to work as a civilian helicopter pilot, Kensington Palace revealed.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Nice to hear. Exactly as I thought. He has been studying hard to get it out of the way before the tour!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Nobility

When is he likely to start picking up his royal engagements?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
When is he likely to start picking up his royal engagements?
Actually he's doing one as we speak. He's representing the Queen and the UK on a tour of China and Japan.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I bother to read the royal.gov pages because they do get updated. And sometimes they even contain real info. From: http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo...arycareer.aspx

"After completing a mandatory period of training in autumn and winter 2014, The Duke will start work with the Air Ambulance, based at Cambridge and Norwich Airports and flying both day and night shifts, in spring 2015. The Duke will start as a co-pilot but, after a period of training, will be qualified to fly as a helicopter commander.

This job will be the Duke's primary occupation, but his roster will take into account the duties and responsibilities he will continue to undertake on behalf of The Queen, both in the United Kingdom and overseas. The Duke will also continue his work with his patronages and with the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry."
Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Royal Highness

Nice article
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Far-East.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-18-2015, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Joe Little ‏@MajestyMagazine
Interestingly, the Queen was joined by Prince William today at Buckingham Palace when she received the Ambassadors of Nicaragua and Austria.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Royal training: the Duke of Cambridge accompanied the Queen today at her audiences with two ambassadors at Buckingham Palace.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
A taste of his future -- Prince William was with the Queen this morning when she had audiences with the Ambassadors of Nicaragua and Austria
Old 03-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

It was the first time the Duke of Cambridge had accompanied his grandmother at the regular royal duty.

Aides confirmed it was part of his training as a future King and said William, 32, had been keen for some time to observe her performing this particular duty-

Queen gives Prince William training with foreign ambassadors | Royal | News | Daily Express

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth II Attends Private Audiences - Pictures - Zimbio

Sometimes people have a hard time believing that William have to step up and learn the ropes for his future role. I'm glad we got a chance to see his training on this kind of level.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Let me just said one thing: It was about time!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Let me just said one thing: It was about time!
So true, Marty91charmed. I like fact that the Queen has trained the Prince of Wales, and now his son. It's her duty to make sure they know and become familiar with their future roles.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
So true, Marty91charmed. I like fact that the Queen has trained the Prince of Wales, and now his son. It's her duty to make sure they know and become familiar with their future roles.
I hope this will only be the start and won't be a mere inconclusive moment.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

As the bulk of HMQ's work these days is receiving ambassadors, Privy Council and receptions at BP and red boxes (William won't see those or be involved), I wouldn't expect William to be doing this particular part of the job any time soon.

I assume he is "learning" it as a Counsellor of State and as HMQ rarely leaves the country, he isn't likely to be needed in that capacity. The only other reason would be a serious illness. And that doesnt look likely either. Which is a good thing.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

William has been eligible Counsellor of State since age 21 so he probably has seen a state paper in the previous 11 years. While there has not been trips recently, the Queen did go to Australia, US and Canada in that time span.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William has been eligible Counsellor of State since age 21 so he probably has seen a state paper in the previous 11 years. While there has not been trips recently, the Queen did go to Australia, US and Canada in that time span.

I was considering the present and future, not the past when HMQ was more active. Today is the first time he has been involved in this type of mtg.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread