The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Well done 😛 We should mail some Lion King DVDs to KP to get Cheeks watching it 20 times in a row 😋

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Haha, imagine the awkwardness if he went around humming that song! :P

Old 02-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I agree. I think the future of the monarchy depends a great deal on George and his siblings and cousins. If William's children see the value in the monarchy, William assume the throne for their sake. I doubt if he'll serve his whole life. I think he'll abdicate when he turns a certain age (say 70).

However, if George and the other royal children of his generation find that the drawbacks (no privacy, unrelenting criticism, and lack of choice of profession) outweigh the benefits, I think the monarchy will end with William.
I think so too. Diana's death was the death-knell of Will wanting to be king or royal, IMO.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think so too. Diana's death was the death-knell of Will wanting to be king or royal, IMO.
But he was a teenager. People change. As he enters his 40's and 50's, one never knows how differently he will feel about it all. My hunch is he will mellow into it.

I agree that there was a time when he seemed averse to his life's destiny, but that seems to have changed over the years. Looks like he's gotten over stuff. Part of that may be that the BRF (the Queen, and also Charles) see things differently now. William will be able to have a life of work he likes (flying helicopters) along with a regular family life. Might be making a difference for him. Pure speculation, of course. I have no real idea about anything to do with him.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
But he was a teenager. People change. As he enters his 40's and 50's, one never knows how differently he will feel about it all. My hunch is he will mellow into it.

I agree that there was a time when he seemed averse to his life's destiny, but that seems to have changed over the years. Looks like he's gotten over stuff. Part of that may be that the BRF (the Queen, and also Charles) see things differently now. William will be able to have a life of work he likes (flying helicopters) along with a regular family life. Might be making a difference for him. Pure speculation, of course. I have no real idea about anything to do with him.
I think, in his teens and early 20s he had much in his life to sort out and come to terms with. But he seems more at ease and comfortable nowdays and I think he has come more to terms with not being able to choose his life. And he actually seem to come more to terms with the privacy thing as well. I have high hopes.

And as you say. All this is pure speculation
Old 02-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyLily View Post
I think William has the potential to be a very successful monarch and would be more likely to steer the institution towards a model similar to the other royal houses of Europe.
I don't understand what you and a few others here mean with the other European moddel? I agree that the family is too big, but neither Charles or William will downsize the monarchy. That problem will resolve itself, and the family will already be smaller when William becomes king.

The British royal family is doing more for charity than the others combined, and the monarchy works very well.

I dread the day the Queen dies, but I think both Charles and William will be successfull monarchs.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Aristocracy

The downsized royal family does not mean those who already do good work will be fired just that there job will be given to the new Senior members and when they have big events the balcony does not look like it is going to collapse at any moment. Charles,Camilla, William, Catherine, and Henry will be the new familt.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofMontpelier View Post
The downsized royal family does not mean those who already do good work will be fired just that there job will be given to the new Senior members and when they have big events the balcony does not look like it is going to collapse at any moment. Charles,Camilla, William, Catherine, and Henry will be the new familt.
If William and Catherine do have a 'large' family, of 3 to 4 children, and in time Harry has at least 2 (the going number for a family), that is 6 members of the next generation (with spouses, 12), to support grandfather, father and then brother/cousin. Seems big enough, bigger even than now. Plus there will still be Anne and Edward and Sophie doing work from the older generation, and Harry and his wife.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
That's a good one. He won't upset his gran or Dad - but will overthrow the current nature of the government.
We are governed by an elected government not the royal family, it's my personal opinion and only time will tell what happens in the future. Also what I said about William I include his children in. George isn't even being brought up royal, his upbringing is replicating that of his mother and I can see why this would concern Prince Charles if those reports are true. William might be reluctant but his children are going to grow up with practically no clue of what being royal is at this rate and he seems very happy with that.

P.S. Can't see Harry being that bothered about taking up the reins either if it fell to him. I think trying to compare him and William to Kings from nearly 100 years ago in terms of duty to the monarchy etc is way off the mark. It's a different world we live in now.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
We are governed by an elected government not the royal family, it's my personal opinion and only time will tell what happens in the future. Also what I said about William I include his children in. George isn't even being brought up royal, his upbringing is replicating that of his mother and I can see why this would concern Prince Charles if those reports are true. William might be reluctant but his children are going to grow up with practically no clue of what being royal is at this rate and he seems very happy with that.

P.S. Can't see Harry being that bothered about taking up the reins either if it fell to him. I think trying to compare him and William to Kings from nearly 100 years ago in terms of duty to the monarchy etc is way off the mark. It's a different world we live in now.
I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that the monarchy will become smaller and much less formal under William's reign, if he takes the throne at all.

William definitely prefers the non-royal lifestyle to that of his father and grandmother. George is still very young and the situation may change after Charles ascends the throne but, at this point, he is being raised as a normal, upper-class child.

That doesn't mean George won't be drawn to the more traditional royal lifestyle when he gets older. Children have a way of surprising their parents and forming their own ideas and preferences.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

He's 33 now and still does not want to be royal.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
If so, welcome to the club, William. Many/most of us have to assume a role in life that we would not have chosen.

My husband would certainly have preferred a simple life as an artist to the one which fell to him: managing his father's estates, caring for his elderly mother, making sure his older brother and sister were able to live in a comfortable fashion, supervising his nieces' and nephews' financial lives, all while being a wonderful husband and father in addition to his responsibilities to his (other than family) financial clients. He bears his burden with a stiff upper lip, and a clear conscience, and I share his burden in the same fashion.

Unless you are a weasely wastrel, that's what you do in life: live up to your solemn duties and responsibilities.

And yes, Charles was brought up to be very royal, and he was unhappy until he was nearly 60 years old. And while he was always royal, he was not always noble.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

We all have our own opinions - and most of us want to hold onto them because, frankly, we think we are right.

We will find out how motivated Wills actually is when his Dad dies. I hope that's not for a while. All else is speculation and not worth a rise in blood pressure IMO. If fame/expectations are his demons, he is in good company, and he seems to be coping in a functional way.

I'm just happy that he seems so happy at an age well before his father found peace. It's the same thing I'd wish for anyone, and all of you.

Carry on.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I really do not understand how people come to think William does not want to be royal and does not want to preform his duties. I have seen nothing to indicate this.

LaRae
Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Unless you are a weasely wastrel, that's what you do in life: live up to your solemn duties and responsibilities.
There are duties & responsibilities, and there are duties & responsibilities.

In my opinion the British monarchy, and the monarch's role, could be trimmed back into something quite different from the current model, and I think Diana Spencer's son is just the person to do it.

Of course if it were pared down to bare bones, without the distracting shiny baubles and fancy clothes, maybe the people would decide they don't want it anymore.

Time will tell.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I really do not understand how people come to think William does not want to be royal and does not want to preform his duties. I have seen nothing to indicate this.

LaRae
I don't either. I think people read too many tabloids and take them too seriously. That and they have ridiculously high expectations for a man who is not even the heir.

I think William is not adverse to being King. I think he sees it as his duty, not one he would have choose but one he do to the very best of his ability. Every step he is taking right now is, in a sense, bidding his time until he is heir. He doesn't have a clearly defined role and is doing his best to fill his time with meaningful occupations and charity work. I think he will do well when the time comes because he has a deep sense of duty and commitment and a love and respect for the people he represents.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
How do you know that?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
I don't understand it either. William has embraced his royal role more in recent years and George will grow up to understand his future responsibilities as well. His mother and father will prepare him and his sibling very well.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that the monarchy will become smaller and much less formal under William's reign, if he takes the throne at all.
I have a hunch it won't. I think it will be about the same.

Quote:
at this point, he is being raised as a normal, upper-class child.
I'm curious: what does that mean in your eyes? Why is upper-class not royal?

Quote:
That doesn't mean George won't be drawn to the more traditional royal lifestyle when he gets older. Children have a way of surprising their parents and forming their own ideas and preferences.
Here it is again: what distinguishes a royal lifestyle from, say, an upper-class lifestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
George isn't even being brought up royal, his upbringing is replicating that of his mother and I can see why this would concern Prince Charles if those reports are true. William might be reluctant but his children are going to grow up with practically no clue of what being royal is at this rate and he seems very happy with that.
I need help with this: George lives in a palace and on an estate belonging to the Queen. He has gone on tour and watched as flocks of people applauded and bowed to his parents (and to him). He will one day soon be standing on a balcony with people in tiaras, watching crowds cheering his family. How does all that constitute being 'upper-class' but not 'royal'?

Because of his mother, we can assume that George will be brought up in a warm and happy home. filled with doting extended family. How is that 'not royal'? In fact the Queen had that kind of mothering and it seems to have done her good. Why not George?

Plus I don't think Charles is concerned, but that's an opinion. If I were to speculate, my guess would be that Charles is very pleased with Catherine and by extension, the Middletons. It's more a hope because it's pure guessing on my part. I have nothing to go on to think differently, so why do?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Well done 😛 We should mail some Lion King DVDs to KP to get Cheeks watching it 20 times in a row 😋

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Funny you shuould mention it. Shuld you go to youtube, I just saw a vid on Charles with the Lion King Music. I just cant wait to be king....
Old 02-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I think William is not adverse to being King. I think he sees it as his duty, not one he would have choose but one he do to the very best of his ability. Every step he is taking right now is, in a sense, bidding his time until he is heir. He doesn't have a clearly defined role and is doing his best to fill his time with meaningful occupations and charity work. I think he will do well when the time comes because he has a deep sense of duty and commitment and a love and respect for the people he represents.
I totally agree with this post. All the interviews I've seen Prince William do on TV leads me to believe he will do his best and not shirk his Royal duty. And as someone else pointed out, at this stage he is still the Heir's Heir. I see nothing wrong with him working with the air ambulance, and also doing Royal duties while he is still Duke of Cambridge. Once he is Prince of Wales, then I would expect things to change. And as to some earlier posts, not on this thread, that say Kate is not up to the job, I say from what I've seen she does very well. She always looks interested and alert while on walkabout. And George is being brought up in a very happy stable family.

Closed Thread