The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Take a look at the new monarch in Europe - all with actual heirs that are young children. They have no experience at all. No one considers that an issue.

William is not the heir and is gaining experience all the time. This is all planned and agreed. He will probably work from Sandringham forat least 3 yrs, barring a major incident.
My exact thought.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
My exact thought.

I don't think you can compare a 12 year old and a 32 year old
one might be an heir and the other an heir to the heir but I still hope William is getting some behind the scene training.
I think they are counting on the Queen living as long as her mother and Charles doing the same so don't see the need to have William ready to rule. And I believe they will live long life's because they have the best of medical care etc.
But things can happened so I'm hoping he's getting prepared for it in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 02-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

He has handled overseas tours on his own; he is patron or president of a number of charities; he knows how to speak in public and he also has had private conversations with ministers, including Heads of State.

He is reliable and responsible and has had a career in the military.

The gap in his knowledge (we must assume) is access to government papers/matters of state and he wont get near those until he is the heir.

Of course he has experience and knowledge. The BRF know what they are doing - and HMQ isd leading the way with William's "training"

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
He has handled overseas tours on his own; he is patron or president of a number of charities; he knows how to speak in public and he also has had private conversations with ministers, including Heads of State.

He is reliable and responsible and has had a career in the military.

The gap in his knowledge (we must assume) is access to government papers/matters of state and he wont get near those until he is the heir.

Of course he has experience and knowledge. The BRF know what they are doing - and HMQ isd leading the way with William's "training"

Your right of course he has done all these things but I'm not too sure that HMQ is doing training with him.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen had him over to Windsor Castle every Sunday while he was at Eton to actually 'train' him. Do you really think that she stopped having those discussion with him when he left school?

He is a Counsellor of State, when called upon, so would also need to know how to run a Privy Council Meeting, talk to the ministers and other privy counsellors, meet and formalise the incoming and outgoing High Commissioners and Ambassadors and even sign legislation.

We know he has carried out investitures.

I have no reason to assume that he isn't seeing at least some of the official communications between the monarch and the government, as Charles has been doing for decades - particularly if they relate to his interests or upcoming events such as his upcoming visit to China.

He may not want the job - and his body language when on official duties still says he doesn't want to do the things he has to do - but he is being trained by his grandmother.

She would be failing massively in her most important duty - training her heirs - if she wasn't training both William and Charles. They need to know how to sign their names to legislation, pin medals and decorations on people, make inane small talk to 1000s of people, and be diplomatic to visiting officials.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:34 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think it's been proved true the Queen had him over every Sunday

Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

I think William will be prepared enough for his future role, even if it came today. How prepared was the Queen when she suddenly came to the throne? ow prepared are other types of head of state when they get the "top job"? Even if he isn't, there would be plenty of courtiers, advisers, ministers etc to help him, guide whim through what he needs to do in the first days, weeks, months etc.
One of the good thing about having a monarchy is the fact that the heirs have years of observation, hands on experience in preparation and training.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think William will be prepared enough for his future role, even if it came today. How prepared was the Queen when she suddenly came to the throne? ow prepared are other types of head of state when they get the "top job"? Even if he isn't, there would be plenty of courtiers, advisers, ministers etc to help him, guide whim through what he needs to do in the first days, weeks, months etc.
One of the good thing about having a monarchy is the fact that the heirs have years of observation, hands on experience in preparation and training.
I agree. Plus William will have "training" that is predecessors hadn't. He will have seen things, helped people, flown and been concentrated in hard situations. He will also have a much closer relationship to the heir after him because of their family planning. All this is things that he can take use of in his future role.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Believe it or not, William is being trained in his senior royal role. His wife, Catherine is also going through her training. They get to go through an apprenticeship, something The Queen didn't have early on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I don't think it's been proved true the Queen had him over every Sunday

The private movements and meetings of the royal family are never publicised so it will never be "proved". But I can bet my last cent on the fact that William has been actively trained by his grandmother and father over the years.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The private movements and meetings of the royal family are never publicised so it will never be "proved". But I can bet my last cent on the fact that William has been actively trained by his grandmother and father over the years.
I've read it in several places that William would walk over from Eton on Sundays for tea with his grandmother. We also didn't know until quite recently too that Kate takes George to BP to use the pool and that they get together with Charles and Camilla for Sunday dinners too. Sometimes these little blips come out and we gain insight into the private side of the family but not that often.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-20-2015, 07:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

It is all private so will never know unless he speaks himself how much and by whom "training "he has had.
I hope he feels confident and ready for whenever

Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It is all private so will never know unless he speaks himself how much and by whom "training "he has had.
I hope he feels confident and ready for whenever

This is such a non-issue, IMO. There is no doubt that William (and Charles) would have been trained by the Queen, at the appropriate time. She is not answerable to any of us as to how much she, or others, have trained her successors. I can be certain of one thing, they will be a lot better trained (and educated) than the Queen herself was for the job.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
This is such a non-issue, IMO. There is no doubt that William (and Charles) would have been trained by the Queen, at the appropriate time. She is not answerable to any of us as to how much she, or others, have trained her successors. I can be certain of one thing, they will be a lot better trained (and educated) than the Queen herself was for the job.
I agree. He's 3rd in line and has already done overseas tours, investures, meatings with dignitaries (including the president of the US), about to do a tour in China (wich both Philip and Charles has managed to screw up), he has been sitting in on meatings with his father since he was younger (as seen on the CC), taken a 10 weeks course in agriculture, has a degree in Geography (which actually will help him in his job), probably has had private teaching from his grandmother (or at least his father), has learnt by growing up, has been in hospitals and with homeless people since a kid thanks to his mother.... etc etc. How many countries have 3 generations of well trained/prepared heirs plus a kid. They are set for YEARS to come!! So give him a break!
Old 02-21-2015, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I've read it in several places that William would walk over from Eton on Sundays for tea with his grandmother. We also didn't know until quite recently too that Kate takes George to BP to use the pool and that they get together with Charles and Camilla for Sunday dinners too. Sometimes these little blips come out and we gain insight into the private side of the family but not that often.
A very sweet picture. Catherine is doing well. On another thread it was mentioned that it is reported Catherine wants 'at least three children'. It will be a joyous household full of growing children and the full round of doting in-laws. i think we are in for a treat over the years. It appears Catherine is creating a solid home-life. Nice to see and envision. What modern monarchy does best imo.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I agree. He's 3rd in line and has already done overseas tours, investures, meatings with dignitaries (including the president of the US), about to do a tour in China (wich both Philip and Charles has managed to screw up), he has been sitting in on meatings with his father since he was younger (as seen on the CC), taken a 10 weeks course in agriculture, has a degree in Geography (which actually will help him in his job), probably has had private teaching from his grandmother (or at least his father), has learnt by growing up, has been in hospitals and with homeless people since a kid thanks to his mother.... etc etc. How many countries have 3 generations of well trained/prepared heirs plus a kid. They are set for YEARS to come!! So give him a break!
If the 3rd in line is this well trained he is indeed a prodigy - considering he is not yet two years old.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If the 3rd in line is this well trained he is indeed a prodigy - considering he is not yet two years old.
Well, George does have a "Daddy's Little Co-Pilot" t-shirt so that would make George William's wing man.

I liked the comment Lady Nimue made about establishing a healthy, warm home life. As advocates for young children, what better way to do it than by example?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Haha, whoopsie
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Serene Highness

I don't think the issue with William is a training one, I think it's that his heart isn't in being royal let alone King. The upper middle class life of his in laws is what he wants and where he sees his family's future IMO. I've always felt that he won't rock the boat while the Queen and possibly his father are alive but I would not be at all surprised if he takes himself out of the game completely once they are dead.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I don't think the issue with William is a training one, I think it's that his heart isn't in being royal let alone King. The upper middle class life of his in laws is what he wants and where he sees his family's future IMO. I've always felt that he won't rock the boat while the Queen and possibly his father are alive but I would not be at all surprised if he takes himself out of the game completely once they are dead.
I don't think he will. He seems very loyal to his loved ones. He would never do it.. Before, for the sake of Harry not having to take it on and now for Georges sake. I think he rather would be unhappy than put the burden on someone else. That is his own version of duty.

Closed Thread