The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

I should imagine it will be a similar situation to when William and Catherine lived in Anglesey, shifts and work patterns will be based upon William's need to carry out royal duties. Remember that William did a good job of juggling these two elements of his life without any problems and I think East Anglia provided a better location to travel around the country as needed.
I think we will see Catherine carrying out more engagements in the Autumn and for a couple of years we may indeed see more of her than William.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah, the balance have to be there, because William has admitted that he ran into problems when he was in the SAR and the problems grew between his job and royal duties. I don't think this new job will be a longtime stint, perhaps three years, but it will leave Catherine doing more official duties.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I should imagine it will be a similar situation to when William and Catherine lived in Anglesey, shifts and work patterns will be based upon William's need to carry out royal duties. Remember that William did a good job of juggling these two elements of his life without any problems and I think East Anglia provided a better location to travel around the country as needed.
I think we will see Catherine carrying out more engagements in the Autumn and for a couple of years we may indeed see more of her than William.
You are right, the model will not be too dissimilar to when they were in Wales, except Anmer is much closer to London, the South East and the Midlands than Anglesey was. Engagements will probably be bunched around a few busy days.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

It's definitely much closer to London a hour train ride versus 4 to 5 hrs from Angelesy. Plus with modern technology, they can easily keep in touch with their KP staff

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

While seeing more of Kate would be good for the media interest and for the fact that she sells, it would be more logical to see more of William instead: he is the one that will probably become king, not Kate.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Let's see how much coverage his tour to China and Japan probably not as much if Kate was going.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Let's see how much coverage his tour to China and Japan probably not as much if Kate was going.

I think this is a very important tour for William and so I suspect it will get a good deal of media attention. It is a shame that Catherine is not going, but then it's nice when they do things individually from time to time.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The tour will get a good deal of media attention - more than any other country - because of diplomatic/political reasons (thanks to Charles & Philip annoying the Chinese in the past). With Kate, it would have been about fashion, but without her its about not slipping up and appeasement.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
While seeing more of Kate would be good for the media interest and for the fact that she sells, it would be more logical to see more of William instead: he is the one that will probably become king, not Kate.

William will be seen if he's got a good balance between jobs. Seeing Catherine a bit more isn't about the media interest, it's about seeing Catherine carrying out her official duties, as she is a senior member of the royal family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge isn't a senior member of the Royal Family. She will be once Prince Charles is king, because then she'll be married to the heir to the throne.

This from the official website:

"Since her marriage, Her Royal Highness has undertaken a number of engagements with her husband, on her own and with senior members of the Royal Family such as The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall."
Old 02-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge isn't a senior member of the Royal Family. She will be once Prince Charles is king, because then she'll be married to the heir to the throne.

This from the official website:

"Since her marriage, Her Royal Highness has undertaken a number of engagements with her husband, on her own and with senior members of the Royal Family such as The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall."
Catherine is a senior member of the royal family. She and William aren't full-time senior royals, but she is a senior royal. She is married to a senior member of the royal family and that makes her a senior royal.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm quite sure we had this discussion a few weeks ago over who is and who isn't a senior royal and we ended up going in circles. Whether senior, junior or somewhere in between, we may or we may not see more or less of Catherine whilst William is working with the Air Ambulance, so I think we will just have to wait and see.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Majesty

As I understand it, Catherine has more senior precedence when she's with William and lower precedence when he's not there. It seems to me that many people have the same expectations of Catherine that they would have of a Princess of Wales, which is unfair. We aren't going to see a lot of her, I don't think, until her children are older. Of course, if Her Majesty dies suddenly, everything will move forward a generation.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Never going to happen. Kate is not a worker and does as little as she can. If William does 20 engagements a year and Kate does more than him that will probably only be around 30 engagements.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Never going to happen. Kate is not a worker and does as little as she can. If William does 20 engagements a year and Kate does more than him that will probably only be around 30 engagements.
I meant in the context that Catherine will carry out some more engagements in the Autumn, (muriel had previously suggested we wouldn't see her until early 2016), following her time off with the new baby, not that she will start to do more duties in the Autumn.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
That is your opinion, incredibly unfair, and not one you have any proof to back up.

I think William will keep around the same number of engagements that he did last year. Kate's number of engagements will be less, as already pointed out, because she will be on maternity leave. After early March, I expect for her to go quiet and her engagements to be sparse. She has enough to deal with as she will have two children under 2 to look after, great that she has a nanny, and her husband will be starting a new job.

I'd love to hear more about William's conservation efforts. I know he is extremely busy right now, but I love hearing about his passion for the environment.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

William joins EAAA in the Spring and starts flying in Summer (I think that means he is in flight school)

BBC News - Prince William's East Anglian Air Ambulance pilot role to start in summer

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
William joins EAAA in the Spring and starts flying in Summer (I think that means he is in flight school)

BBC News - Prince William's East Anglian Air Ambulance pilot role to start in summer
Sounds logical. They always said his training would be until mid-spring. So him joining EAAA then but not starting actively makes sense since he will take 2 weeks paternity leave + his China tour. And I suppose they themselves have some testing..
Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Nobility

They both need to start doing a lot more than they are, or under the next monarch they will still be fairly inexperienced.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
They both need to start doing a lot more than they are, or under the next monarch they will still be fairly inexperienced.
Take a look at the new monarch in Europe - all with actual heirs that are young children. They have no experience at all. No one considers that an issue.

William is not the heir and is gaining experience all the time. This is all planned and agreed. He will probably work from Sandringham forat least 3 yrs, barring a major incident.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread