The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Only time will tell...

Old 02-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

William won't likely be flying for too long.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Also within the BRF things were up in the air. The Dukes of Edinburgh and Kent were sick, no one really knew how serious it was and William could very well have been needed sooner rather than later. It was touch and go for awhile and although William's passion is flying he couldn't commit 100 percent until he got the go ahead from the Queen.

So I don't think William is indecisive at all. He recognised that he needed to be flexible and even now his schedule with EAAA will take into account royal engagements he undertakes on behalf of the Queen and Government. Travelling to China and Japan later this month at the request of HM's government is an example.
I agree that the illnesses did play a role in William's "transitional year." If two of HM's best supporters were no longer available to carry out royal duties, I believe that William would have been called up to be a full time royal.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree that the illnesses did play a role in William's "transitional year." If two of HM's best supporters were no longer available to carry out royal duties, I believe that William would have been called up to be a full time royal.
Exactly. I think it was more an on-call year holding the future open than it was a "William must take a year to decide what to do"-year.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sebastian and his ridiculous articles.

Bafta stars put out over Prince WIlliam who wasn't there | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
The 32-year-old Prince attended last year’s jamboree when he presented the Bafta Fellowship Award to Dame Helen Mirren, who played his grandmother in The Queen. Like a preening actor, he posed for ‘selfies’ with admiring fans and high-fived rapper Tinie Tempah.

William returned from a luxurious two-week break in the Caribbean four days before the Baftas. He and Prince George were staying with the Duchess of Cambridge’s parents, Mike and Carole Middleton, in Mustique and he is known to be loath to disrupt his holidays with his in-laws, to whom he is very close.

When William finished his six-week tour of duty as an RAF helicopter pilot in the Falklands in 2012, for example, he chose to fly to the Alps immediately for a skiing holiday with the Middletons.

He did not return for the memorial service marking the 10th anniversary of the deaths of the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret, which was attended by most royals.

The Prince has not carried out a single engagement this year. He is currently three-quarters of the way through the 14 exams he must take to gain his Air Transport Pilot’s Licence, which he needs before he can take up his job as an Air Ambulance pilot in Norfolk.

A Kensington Palace spokesman tells me: ‘Sadly, the Duke was not able to attend this year due to prior commitments.’

If anyone knows what those ‘commitments’ were, please do get in touch.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:48 AM
Majesty

I think the fact William was in Mustique (or just came back) closed to the BAFTAS awards made his absence more noticed... About the engagements: well, it's true! It's February and he has not carried one none of them!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Why is it ridiculous? I think it's pretty accurate.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Why is it ridiculous? I think it's pretty accurate.

I agree it's really just stating the facts
If he had come back earlier and did this engagement there would be nothing to complain about.
These are the sort of things that he should be careful about IMO as it's not a good look

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Majesty

Just more of William wanting to have his cake and eat it too. Yes, his absence from the memorial service for his aunt and grandmother didn't go unnoticed. But come on guys . . . he was on holiday!

BAFTA's? Same deal.

He seems to come across as one "Entitled" man who, as alway, does what he wants to do when he wants to do it. He seems to have entirely missed the basic concept of noblesse oblige.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd love to see the list of stars who 'pulled out' of the Baftas because William wasn't sitting in the audience, especially given the fact he was never scheduled to attend.

William as President of the Baftas is involved with the charitable side of things. The Prince William Scholarships in Film, Television and Games and the Baftas Give Something Back campaign are two examples.

William has been President of the Baftas since 2010 and and I think he has only attended one awards show and that was to present Helen Miren with a lifetime achievement award.

Its a bit rich for the Sebastian Shakespeare to criticise William this year when Jan Moir bashed him for attending the event last year. The Mail Online should really make up its mind
Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

William also attended the Baftas in 2010 when he was named as President. He is also head of The FA but he doesn't attend the FA Cup finals every year. Just like the Queen who is Patron of Wimbledon but only has been to the tournament a couple of times.

He going on a tour to Japan & China at the end of the month. He probably going to be stuck in briefing meetings with Miguel and David Manning for the next 2 weeks.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William also attended the Baftas in 2010 when he was named as President. He is also head of The FA but he doesn't attend the FA Cup finals every year. Just like the Queen who is Patron of Wimbledon but only has been to the tournament a couple of times.

He going on a tour to Japan & China at the end of the month. He probably going to be stuck in briefing meetings with Miguel and David Manning for the next 2 weeks.

Exactly + 1/3 of 14 exams + flying exams. I don't begrudge him a vacation, an he is not expected to be at the BAFTAs. Like that would have helped "William goes on vacation and his only engagement so far this year is a gala with the rich and famous"....
Old 02-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Nobility

With his flying job he is likely to undertake even fewer royal duties than last year.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
With his flying job he is likely to undertake even fewer royal duties than last year.
Is there a problem with that?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Is there a problem with that?

Only for us who like to see him 💐

Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Only for us who like to see him 💐

True. As long as people don't call him lazy for it!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
They will, a lot of people did on this forum when he was at RAF
Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I am sure they will, despite understanding that he has a full time job.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Think the idea is for William to find a balance in his new job and carrying out official engagements. It may be the case that we'll start seeing Catherine on official duties a bit more than William. I don't think his job really starts until the summer anyway.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Think the idea is for William to find a balance in his new job and carrying out official engagements. It may be the case that we'll start seeing Catherine on official duties a bit more than William. I don't think his job really starts until the summer anyway.
> I agree with your broader point about finding a balance between some public duties and a full time job in East Anglia

> I don't think you will see much of Catherine until early 2016 at the earliest as she will be on maternity leave

> Whilst William's job may not start until the summer (date not publicly announced), I am sure he will be kept busy with exams and, in the neaer term, preparations for his trip to Japan and China.

Closed Thread