The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

This is a sad little sentence from Vernon Bogdanor's article

"But although she will be 88 in April, the Queen can never, unlike the rest of us, look forward to being relieved of her burden."

If you or someone you know is of retirement age, it's obvious how much most people look forward to retirement. HM has been working for 60+ years. Despite the 'perks' of her job, there must be many a day when she wishes she didn't have to put on elegant clothes and shake hands with strangers and be told about things she has no real interest in.

No wonder she has been sympathetic to William's desire to have a real life before he picks up that burden.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting post. HMQ's work pattern has really changed in recent yrs in that c.2/3rds of her engagements take place at either BP or Windsor. She is also cutting back travelling in the UK

Now as we all know, this isnt the only things she does as there are all the Red Boxes and correspondence to deal with.

She is an astute woman who is managing her workload and her priorities as she gets older.

That's one of the reasons I don't get concerned about William's workload - she is managing that too IMO

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

This quote tells us all we need to know about the BRF. William just like everyone else takes his marching orders from the Queen

The Queen is still boss: reports that Palace reshuffle will mean Charles becomes king in all but name are wide of the mark - News - London Evening Standard
Quote:
What is happening, albeit subtly, is a monarchy in transition. But when it comes to the final decision, it will be the Queen that signs off the changes not Charles. She is still “The Boss.”
Old 12-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Nobility

It seems clear now that William won't become a full time royal until his father's succession, but will he be able to cope with the sudden leap in demand from him doing 100-150 engagements a year to 500-600 that the current heir to the throne does?
Old 12-07-2014, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Nobody can answer that question until it happens.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It seems clear now that William won't become a full time royal until his father's succession, but will he be able to cope with the sudden leap in demand from him doing 100-150 engagements a year to 500-600 that the current heir to the throne does?
I think he and Catherine will transition to full time royal duties before Charles's reign. Engagements increase over time. You just don't leap to doing 500 to 600 a year. With The Queen approaching 90 and Prince Philip going into his mid to late 90's, William & Catherine will likely start making the transition over to full time royal duties sooner.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2015, 07:18 AM
Nobility

Any news on when William starts his new job? Will this affect his ability to do overseas tours this year?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

He is going to China next month. No news on his job though.... They said that he needed to pass all his exams before starting sometime in March/April
Old 01-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

AFAIK he's currently taking his flight exams.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think William even finished his agricultural course. If he had, it would have been announced. If I missed the announcement that he finished, please cite source. He seems to be able to weedle out of every task he says he's going to take. I'm sure this tentative March/April schooling for rescue training will be lost with the new baby. I think he's full of hot air.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not sure why the BRF would need to announce that he completed an extension course. They share the news when the family members complete their secondary and/or university degrees, but the agricultural course...I don't see the need.

He'll be in China/Japan during late Feb. and early March so January would have been reserved for completing the practical exams.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

What tasks has William said he's going to do that he has not completed?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Threads like this are troll bait. We know what is next for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, we know what they'll be doing the next few years so I don't see the need for something like this.

Can I start a 'what now for Prince Harry thread: future duties and roles' or is that prohibited because he's a lad?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Threads like this are troll bait. We know what is next for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, we know what they'll be doing the next few years so I don't see the need for something like this.

Can I start a 'what now for Prince Harry thread: future duties and roles' or is that prohibited because he's a lad?
I can see such a thread opening up for Harry if/when its announced that Harry will be leaving the military.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think William will do his new job for two years, and then he and Catherine will start the transition over to full-time royal duties.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I can see such a thread opening up for Harry if/when its announced that Harry will be leaving the military.
I agree. For now I do believe that the best place for Harry is to continue with his military career and his part-time royal duties.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, yes but this thread was started during William's transition year when his plans were up in the air. Now that a decision is made I don't see the need for this specific thread.

Its only the Cambridges that get this treatment. We can ask 'what now' for every royal. What now for Camilla?

Don't the charity and current events threads cover everything for the Cambridges?
Old 01-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

It is worth remembering that William's situation in terms of future duties, roles and responsibilities is very different from Harry's. William has not had the same freedom to continue his career in the way that he may have wanted to. I have no doubt that had he been able to, he would have continued his career in the RAF.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree Jacknch. The "spares" typically have more flexibility in their career choices than the heirs.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

What now for any other royal except the younger ones is pretty pointless.

Feel free to start one for Henry, would be interesting.

The reason this was started in Williams transition year was exactly because everything was up in the air so everything was an option, we didn't know what his plans were. Still don't frankly.