The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
In Chicago, the museums hold receptions, dinners and parties during the evening. They do not close the museum but start setting up while the museum is open and patrons are viewing the exhibits.
Same here in LA. We attend lovely soirees at the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena.

Quote:
They can hold an evening dinner party on the lawn. Dinner by candlelight in the KP gardens. Or have a behind the scene tour of KP in support of a charity. Or an evening tour of the KP State Apartments for charity. Or a dinner in the Orangery. Or a cocktail party on the long walk to the Orangery.
I'm in! Sounds lovely.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

yes, if they hire it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Aristocracy

we can continue to argue this point, but the level William, Catherine and Harry play in the family firm is not our call. No matter what we think, believe or want.
People at a higher grade level than us have made the decision and whether it was the Queen, Prince Charles, the Cambridges or their advisors, the decision was made and everything else is pure speculation.... much like the various gossip mags in the grocery check out lines. So unless you feel the need to write the Queen, Prince Charles or their advisors a letter stating that the Cambridges need to step it up, the royal family will continue along without seeking input from this board.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
BP and Windsor; SJP and Clarence House are all used by all members of the BRF for conferences, receptions, dinners, lunches, teas and even breakfasts.

They use the public rooms in those buildings. In the case of CH, its the ground floor rooms.

The Cambridges ve live in a private apartment. KP public access rooms are within the main building run by HRP. To use these rooms they would need to be hired, as they have been in the past by 100 Women HedgeFund Managers and other charities. It is not for W&K to use their imagination. They have NO say in the access or management of KP. All they can do is hire it.
Thank you for reminding all of us that while members of the BRF live at KP, BP, Windsor, and Clarence House not every part of the complexes are there for them to use whenever they want. They or the charity would have to rent the space in order to host an event there.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For all we know, W&K just may have events in the works to be held at KP in the future. These things are booked and planned months (or maybe even years) in advance but the public doesn't get wind of any of it until its close to event time.

That's an important thing I think we need to remember. Although we may not be seeing the Cambridges out and about a lot these days, it doesn't mean that they're not planning and scheduling things to come. All that background work *is* work but we just don't see it.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William and Kate appear to be home bodies. They would rather have a home cooked meal, give George a bath and put him to bed and watch Downton Abbey than hit the party circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I think that's part of what makes them so appealing to the general public. They give off a sense of 'normalcy' even though they're anything but.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

What cracks me up are all the Harry supporters who go on about what a hard worker Harry is and all he does, yet William does much more than Harry. William has more charities, William makes more public engagements and William did all of this while serving full-time in the RAF so frankly I scratch my head at the whole thing.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
What cracks me up are all the Harry supporters who go on about what a hard worker Harry is and all he does, yet William does much more than Harry. William has more charities, William makes more public engagements and William did all of this while serving full-time in the RAF so frankly I scratch my head at the whole thing.
I think this may also have to do with the fact that Harry is seen as more 'charismatic' than his elder brother, and that appeals to people. William is more on a serious note, though in my opinion, his interactions with the public are as enjoyable to watch as Harry's. Both men do a lot of good, and perhaps it's not fair to compare the two.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think this may also have to do with the fact that Harry is seen as more 'charismatic' than his elder brother, and that appeals to people. William is more on a serious note, though in my opinion, his interactions with the public are as enjoyable to watch as Harry's. Both men do a lot of good, and perhaps it's not fair to compare the two.
I couldn't agree more! Had William and Harry's roles been reversed so would the comments. Harry is indeed seen to be more charismatic as he has slightly more freedom to do what he likes. William on the other hand unfortunately has to act more formally or more restrained, more's the pity.

But it does all have to do with personality and I agree that he and Catherine seem to be home birds. I have a cousins who are twins - one got married and settled down into a cute, married bubble of loveliness and the other leads a racier life and refuses to get himself attached and settled down. I'm not saying it's exactly the same with W & H, but even siblings have different lives!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I agree with Iluvbertie's submission that William and Kate won't become full time Royals until the Queen dies/loses her faculties and Charles becomes King/Regent. William is unique in that he is now an early-middle-aged heir to the late-middle-aged heir. William's equals in status in the other Royal Houses are little children. He is only in this situation because his grandmother married young and bore children young and became monarch so young and vowed to reign for life and has lived so long. IMO he is ill-prepared to step into the heir's shoes at a moment's notice. He could become heir and then monarch all within a very short space of time considering how quickly medical conditions such as strokes can afflict ostensibly healthy and fit people, but he doesn't seem well prepared for that eventuality, and his wife most certainly doesn't.
You know, there is also always the possibility that the Queen outlives Charles. I know it doesn't seem likely, but it could happen. Charles could die younger than expected (I have heard of someone having a vision or dream of a future British monarch being assassinated on his coronation day).

Anyway, given the unpredictability of life, would William be prepared to be king if it happened within the next 5-10 years? I think it's a fair question to ask.

Based on what I've seen of William and Kate so far, I think they do a very good job on their public appearances when they do them, but they don't seem to have quite the sustained drive and commitment to a lot of causes that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh do. Yes, William and Kate are young and are starting their family, but by the time they are freer from family responsibilities, they will have 20-something fewer years of experience of daily public duties that the Queen and Prince Philip did at the same ages. Will this affect their public appearances? Will they be so used to 'the way they've always done things' at that point that they'll just commit to fewer causes?

I find the Queen and Prince Philip really remarkable, actually. I don't know how they get dressed up and put smiles on their faces and go out day after day for yet another tour or ribbon-cutting or investiture. I think William and Kate have a sense of duty, yet I can't see them putting out the same effort in their late 80s/early 90s. I think William and Kate will just be less public monarchs.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I think William and Kate will just be less public monarchs.
Is that an option? I'd never thought of that. Maybe that's exactly what the future will bring, a total meshing of personality (William) with a far more discreet monarchy. A future that we cannot imagine given the recent past decades but which in the future will seem as right as rain and the way 'it's always been'. Possible? Maybe.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Is that an option? I'd never thought of that. Maybe that's exactly what the future will bring, a total meshing of personality (William) with a far more discreet monarchy. A future that we cannot imagine given the recent past decades but which in the future will seem as right as rain and the way 'it's always been'. Possible? Maybe.
Perhaps this would be a wise move. The more I think about it, a less public monarchy (other than their engagements and occasions that they do normally as part of the royal family would help to dispel the idea that W&K are not the British version of Keeping Up With The Cambridges.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

I think it would be a great idea for a more "discrete" monarchy in the future and see no reason for it not to happen. This culture of having to know everything there possibly is to know about royals is waring and the frankly artificial idea that royals should be or act more normally has lead members of the family to act in odd ways when in public. For instance, feeling the need to be overly funny or jokey all the time and dumbing down on protocol to pretend to be more "normal" - it's ridiculous!
It has also lead to "deals" having to be made with the media so that a staged photo call can be done so long as the media stay away afterwards - the media never do!
I'm not saying the royals should all be like Princess Anne or the family instil strict protocols like in Japan or become completely standoffish, but it would be nice if they did genuinely informal things instead of stunts like drinking pints at a pub or trying strange food etc.
Dumbing down the monarchy will be its downfall and they need to reverse it!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think it would be a great idea for a more "discrete" monarchy in the future and see no reason for it not to happen. This culture of having to know everything there possibly is to know about royals is waring and the frankly artificial idea that royals should be or act more normally has lead members of the family to act in odd ways when in public. For instance, feeling the need to be overly funny or jokey all the time and dumbing down on protocol to pretend to be more "normal" - it's ridiculous!
It has also lead to "deals" having to be made with the media so that a staged photo call can be done so long as the media stay away afterwards - the media never do!
I'm not saying the royals should all be like Princess Anne or the family instil strict protocols like in Japan or become completely standoffish, but it would be nice if they did genuinely informal things instead of stunts like drinking pints at a pub or trying strange food etc.
Dumbing down the monarchy will be its downfall and they need to reverse it!
I think in general the entire world is being *Dumbing Down*, sorry if this is off topic, your comment there really caught my attention. There is way to much information today being sent out through social media and most of it from what I see is horrible, nasty, mean spirited and down right cruel. Society today wants to see, hear and know everything there is to know about anyone in the news.......that shows there is no boundaries anymore for anyone and the media doesn't even know the meaning of the word. Some things we just don't need to know for to much information spoils the picture.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

The 'dumbing down' started in 1969 and it can't be stopped.

The old days of the royals been seen and not spoken to have long gone.

The public have come to believe that as they pay for their lifestyle they have a right to know what they are doing AND an expectation that the will also work for the nation - something William and Kate don't seem to want to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if William is the last King - simply because he comes across as so reluctant whenever he is in public and Kate is even worse.

Charles will hold it together but William just doesn't want to do it - will do as little as possible as King and not encourage anyone else to show him up so I can see him doing nothing in public other than the State Opening each year and the weekly meetings with the PM and the monthly council meetings. He just comes across as so paranoid about being seen by the public AND the press that he will retreat without the excuse that Victoria had.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Heir Apparent

interesting jusgement of William.

I think that it is premature. We will know whether it is correct, to any degree, when he becomes the heir.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The 'dumbing down' started in 1969 and it can't be stopped.

The old days of the royals been seen and not spoken to have long gone.

The public have come to believe that as they pay for their lifestyle they have a right to know what they are doing AND an expectation that the will also work for the nation - something William and Kate don't seem to want to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if William is the last King - simply because he comes across as so reluctant whenever he is in public and Kate is even worse.

Charles will hold it together but William just doesn't want to do it - will do as little as possible as King and not encourage anyone else to show him up so I can see him doing nothing in public other than the State Opening each year and the weekly meetings with the PM and the monthly council meetings. He just comes across as so paranoid about being seen by the public AND the press that he will retreat without the excuse that Victoria had.
The dumbing down, IMO, was a direct response to the public's demands for it. Let us not forget the 1990s when HM and the BRF where considered far too remote and aloof from the public at large. The response was far more openness and approachability.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Just more republican angst. William can't be king before his time and he can't be heir before his time. If people want him front and centre maybe the Queen and Charles can stand aside. Monarchy evolves with the times. Young people certainly don't want a remote monarchy.

The biggest changes will come after the Queen passes. One will need a decompression chamber to handle the outcome. Charles got the ball rolling with this whole Princess Consort matter and not having Camilla as Queen is the biggest dumbing down we can have. I'm not worried about William, he will be fine. Its Charles and his meddling that concerns me. He's headed for a showdown with Parliament and we all know who will win that.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Just more republican angst. William can't be king before his time and he can't be heir before his time. If people want him front and centre maybe the Queen and Charles can stand aside. Monarchy evolves with the times. Young people certainly don't want a remote monarchy.

The biggest changes will come after the Queen passes. One will need a decompression chamber to handle the outcome. Charles got the ball rolling with this whole Princess Consort matter and not having Camilla as Queen is the biggest dumbing down we can have. I'm not worried about William, he will be fine. Its Charles and his meddling that concerns me. He's headed for a showdown with Parliament and we all know who will win that.
What might the showdown be about?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Because after 60 plus years of one monarch I think the government of the day will want to make big changes to the relationship it has with the sovereign and Charles will resist this.

I think Charles wants an old fashioned monarchy for lack of a better term and I think the Parliament will want to strip it of all but it's basic functions.

If there is a showdown and I think there will be Charles will come out on the short end of the stick.

Closed Thread