The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Our expectations do not dictate the actions of Her Majesty or the actions she requires of those who serve her and her realm.

And I am tired of hearing about this particular demand. IMHO.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
According to Ilvebertie's number from 2013, William, Kate and Harry's numbers total only 167.

No one is asking for 500 per year from each. If full time 350-400 from William until he is POW; 250-300 for Kate.

No is asking for Harry to go full time, he can remain part time throughout his life. Harry can stay in the low 100s.

The staff is already there that is why there was an expectation of the Cambridges going full time.

Why do they need more clothes?
Camilla wears the same thing every few weeks. Charles wears the same clothes from 20 years ago. Princess Anne still wears the clothes from 40 years ago.
I wouldn't mind seeing W&K do around 200-250 engagements a year. I think that's a good number for part-time royals. I have to disagree about Harry though. I think he would need to up his engagements to more than just the low 100's.

Here's a question though. If Kate starts doing 250 a year, do you think Camilla should up her engagements too? She tends to do between 250-280, so I imagine it wouldn't look right to have Kate doing the same number of engagements as the next Queen consort.

Charles does wear some of the same suits and shoes that he wore 20 or so years ago, but its not like that's all he wears. He still purchases new shoes, shirts, etc. Not to mention his clothes are in no way cheap. He spends serious money on what he wears.

And I like Anne, but a lot of the stuff she wears looks like it was purchased 40 years ago.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Majesty

Yes, absolutely. If William, Harry, and Kate were middle-aged, short, and average looking, would there be all this clamoring for appearances????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The cult of youth at the expense of everyone else is very ugly and totally unappealing.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I just checked bertie's numbers. Camilla has done 175 engagements as of today, this puts her in ninth position in the CC. Sophie has done 100 more engagements and Charles has done over 200 more than his wife. Only 55 engagements separate Camilla and William.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Courtier

If Kate start doing 250 engagements, Camilla has to start doing more. 400-500 a year would be good like Anne and Charles does. It already looks bad imo that Sophie does more than the Princess of Wales
Old 10-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

The cult of youth and beauty is not a new thing. Part of Princess Diana's popularity was based on youth and beauty. When Prince George and his siblings get older, William, Kate and the younger royals will experience the same thing. People will be saying, why does Princess Beatrice have to give up her position for George's wife.

I agree about Camilla. If Kate and William have to up their engagements, then Camilla has to start doing more too.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
According to Ilvebertie's number from 2013, William, Kate and Harry's numbers total only 167.

No one is asking for 500 per year from each. If full time 350-400 from William until he is POW; 250-300 for Kate.

No is asking for Harry to go full time, he can remain part time throughout his life. Harry can stay in the low 100s.

The staff is already there that is why there was an expectation of the Cambridges going full time.

Why do they need more clothes?
Camilla wears the same thing every few weeks. Charles wears the same clothes from 20 years ago. Princess Anne still wears the clothes from 40 years ago.
William and Harry have been recycling suits for years. Kate recycles as well, but since this pregnancy is during different seasons, she is likely going to need different maternity wear during the late winter when she's in her third trimester. Last time her third trimester was during the late spring into summer.

As for George, well he's definitely going to be adding to his wardrobe every few months.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, absolutely. If William, Harry, and Kate were middle-aged, short, and average looking, would there be all this clamoring for appearances????
All three of them are now over 30 and therefore dangerously close to being middle aged. William is certainly past his prime in the looks department, and close examination of recent photos show that Harry is rapidly following. I consider that both of them are only average looking though Harry has the benefit of a sparkling personality, which his brother lacks. And once the middle-aged spread sets in, neither of them will be anywhere near as appealing.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
If Kate start doing 250 engagements, Camilla has to start doing more. 400-500 a year would be good like Anne and Charles does. It already looks bad imo that Sophie does more than the Princess of Wales
The previous Princess of Wales never performed 400 engagements and she was working for herself, her husband and the future of her children and her descendants. Except for 3 years, she consistently performed under 300 engagement per year, while her sister-in-law, Princess Anne was averaging 700 per year.

Camilla only works for herself and her husband.

To go by your own measurements to match Princess Anne, the previous Princess of Wales should have to been doing at least 800 engagement per year. She failed considerably short of expectation.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 AM
Courtier

If she has to do 800 engagements per year so be it. She should be doing more than Sophie does
Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 AM
Heir Apparent

If after almost ten years of marriage to the Prince of Wales, Camilla is allowed to be in ninth position in the CC behind all the Queen's children and spouses including her cousin the Duke of Gloucester I don't understand why all the hoopla over W&K.

William is only 55 behind Camilla. If he was full-time he would leave her in his dust.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You don't know what you're talking about but whatever.
Oh, now I understand. Anyone that disagrees with your point of view over William and Catherine must be treated to a wonderful display of abuse in the (vain) hope that they will shut up and agree with your point of view.

Might I remind you that this is a forum and not a dictator ship. If you believe I do not know what I am talking about, then by all means please elucidate. However, I am a little confused as you failed to finish your post. "but whatever" what?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The previous Princess of Wales never performed 400 engagements and she was working for herself, her husband and the future of her children and her descendants. Except for 3 years, she consistently performed under 300 engagement per year, while her sister-in-law, Princess Anne was averaging 700 per year.

Camilla only works for herself and her husband.

To go by your own measurements to match Princess Anne, the previous Princess of Wales should have to been doing at least 800 engagement per year. She failed considerably short of expectation.
Princess Anne has taken on a great deal of responsibility over the years. On top of her own work, The Queen & Duke of Edinbrugh and The Queen Mother would give Anne roles and pass down or recommend other charitable organizations. Anne takes on what interest her and the workload that she feels comfortable with. So no, the late Princess of Wales didnt fail short of expectations. She was a very hard working future Queen. Anne just have a much heavier workload. She even took on more duties once the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret died.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
If she has to do 800 engagements per year so be it. She should be doing more than Sophie does
You misread. The previous Princess of Wales should have been doing 800 engagements per year.

The previous POW ranked in 6-8 place during her prime years. (Andrew & Edward were still part time & Sophie had not joined.)
Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Princess Anne has taken on a great deal of responsibility over the years. On top of her own work, The Queen & Duke of Edinbrugh and The Queen Mother would give Anne roles and pass down or recommend other charitable organizations. Anne takes on what interest her and the workload that she feels comfortable with. So no, the late Princess of Wales didnt fail short of expectations. She was a very hard working future Queen. Anne just have a much heavier workload. She even took on more duties once the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret died.
That is my point. Princess Anne always worked more than the wife of the POW. Her numbers exceeded the previous Princess of Wales nearly 3 to 1.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

So if the previous POW ranked in 6-8th place and the current one ranks in 6-9th position, then what's the uproar about Kate's engagement count? Why should she be doing more than the next Queen consort?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate should be entitled to start a family and raise her children in the manner she and William see fit.
When Camilla married Charles she had no other obligations than becoming a working royal. Kate has a young family at home.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

It appears several people have misread some posts or skipped some and have misunderstood the responses.

We were not suggesting an increase in Catherine duties.

The discussion was about the Duchy of Cornwall not being able to handle William, Harry & Catherine going full time.

Skippyboo made the comment that the finances could not cover William, Catherine & Harry each doing 500 engagements a year and I responded suggesting:

If full time 350-400 from William until he is POW; 250-300 for Kate. Harry can remain part time throughout his life. Harry can stay in the low 100s.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:21 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe its just me but perhaps we're focusing on the fact that it is the numbers of engagements done that matter? Perhaps the Firm doesn't see it quite that way and prefers to match up certain royals with certain interests? Its my thought that the Firm would aim for quality over quantity.

Many times a royal too will spend the day doing various engagements. Stop off at a bookstore, go to a luncheon and a garden show in the afternoon. That's 3 in one day.
Even though the number of engagements for that royal jumped up 3, does it in any way lessen the contribution made by another royal that only had 1 engagement that day?

The numbers of the engagements do not tell the whole story about the involvement of the royals in the Firm. Its an indication, yes, but not the whole picture.

Just my observation is all.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Well said. the main reason given by the R Household for not publishing data on royal engagements is that it is turned into a league table/ competition which is wrong.

And that list does not reflect all the work done. A good example is HMQ. Travels less, does fewer engagements "out and about" but at the weekend has the largest red box of the week which holds more detailed papers, usually requiiring response/signature. We dont see any of that.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread