Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When will Prince William will leave employment in emergency helicopters and will devote more to royal duties?

When will Prince William will leave employment in emergency helicopters and will devote more to royal duties?

I would imagine that would be determined on the need for him to take up more royal duties. It could be 6 months from now or 3 years from now. I'm sure William knows that he could be called into full time service to the Firm at any given time now.

He signed a two year contract with Bond Air Services which supplies the pilots to the air ambulance charity. So unless something major happens like the Queen dying, he is there for 2 years as a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

He signed a two year contract with Bond Air Services which supplies the pilots to the air ambulance charity. So unless something major happens like the Queen dying, he is there for 2 years as a minimum.

In that case, would he have some contract clauses, or would he be able to just leave the job?

Last edited:

Prince William signed the contract in 2014?

In that case, would he have some contract clauses, or would he be able to just leave the job?

There is no doubt a clause in his contract that takes the succession into account.

His contract already allows for royal engagements

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a clause. I mean.. I think it's kind of the only way to do it in this situation. Obviously he will have to work until they have a replacement but maybe shorter than others would have to.

I read on the net, people in the UK are not very happy with Prince William's work at the Royal House. Is true? It still continues to be popular?

I would be very surprised if there wasn't a clause. I mean.. I think it's kind of the only way to do it in this situation. Obviously he will have to work until they have a replacement but maybe shorter than others would have to.

Thanks... :flowers: I am sure they would have a replacement in any case.... There must be eager ambulance pilots who want to work for EAAA:whistling:

There is no doubt a clause in his contract that takes the succession into account.

His contract already allows for royal engagements

I'm sure that all of the heirs to the throne have a "get out of contract clause" when they enlist for military training or some civilian internship.

I read on the net, people in the UK are not very happy with Prince William's work at the Royal House. Is true? It still continues to be popular?

The most recent YouGov polls place William and Harry at the top of the "Who is your favorite royal family member?" QEII and Kate are next in the poll.

Both Will and Kate work very well together as a team and I don't think either one of them really needs or wants to grab the limelight but get on with what they're doing and their main focus is on what they're trying to support and bring attention to. Although it may seem like Kate is not overly fond of making public speeches, the ones that she has done were done pretty well.

Bullying has been an interest of both Will and Kate and since the organization that they picked for their wedding donations has closed, I'm happy to see that once again this is to be a cause that they'll be behind.

As far as Will as a child, preschool is usually the time a child transitions from their intimate "me" stage with their immediate family as the main influences to the "us" social strata of a group setting and interactions. Its at this age I believe that children should be guided to accept each person as they are and learn to respect them.

I think she finds it hard to inject her personality into her speeches. Making speeches isn't easy, but she'll only get better if she do more of them. I think the one she did at her old school (just before it was announced she was pregnant with George) was her best.

Do you mean the sick and crazy people who comment in the DM comment section? They complain about everything. And if you wonder what the British people mean about something? The DM comment section is not the right place for you to be.

No, it's not true. The big majority don't even care about it, and most people in the UK are very happy with William's work for the monarchy.

Yougov asked this questions in april.
Last year Prince William began training for a new job as an air ambulance pilot. Do you think he should continue working as a pilot, or should he concentrate full time upon his Royal duties?

He should concentrate full time upon his Royal duties? 10% agreed.

He should combine his Royal duties with his job as a pilot? 76% agreed.

Don't know? 14%.

The most recent YouGov polls place William and Harry at the top of the "Who is your favorite royal family member?" QEII and Kate are next in the poll.

Most polls in the 90s, and from 2002 until Williams engagement in 2010 showed that The Queen despite her age was the most popular member of the royal family. Most of these polls were performed during the golden jubilee and her 80th birthday celebrations. In recent years, polls have shown that either The Queen, William or Harry are the most popular members of the royal family. And the most important thing is that Her Majesty, Charles and William have approval ratings, who politicians could only dream of.

No, it's not true. The big majority don't even care about it, and most people in the UK are very happy with William's work for the monarchy.

Yougov asked this questions in april.
Last year Prince William began training for a new job as an air ambulance pilot. Do you think he should continue working as a pilot, or should he concentrate full time upon his Royal duties?

He should concentrate full time upon his Royal duties? 10% agreed.

He should combine his Royal duties with his job as a pilot? 76% agreed.

Don't know? 14%.

William's numbers almost parallel Harry's numbers. When Harry left the army almost 80 percent of people polled said he should get another job in addition to his royal stuff. Its clear the public's concept of what it is to be a royal is changing.

10 percent of people think William should only focus on 'royal duties'. Now I think we can safely assume that if the public doesn't think William should only be doing royal duties then Kate should be allowed to be a 'mum' in addition to being royal.

William said in his interview with the BBC 'What does being a full-time royal even mean nowadays' when asked about it. He knows the public expect 'modern' royals to have a life other than cutting ribbons and attending state banquets. Although this is very important and increasing will become the focus.

The newspapers obsess but William and Harry are way out in front on this.

Harry in NZ said he and William need 'regular' jobs to stay grounded. To keep in touch with the people they serve. It seems the public agrees.

Now no doubt the time will come in the reign of their father where both boys will be needed more. And the Queen and Charles have a firm grasp on what is important for William right now.

He's checking all the boxes. Duchy of Cornwall, got it covered. Oversees foreign tours, got it covered. Doing investitures, got it covered. Receiving ambassadors, got it covered. Holding done a job in addition to royal duties, got it covered.

Last edited:
William's numbers almost parallel Harry's numbers. When Harry left the army almost 80 percent of people polled said he should get another job in addition to his royal stuff. Its clear the public's concept of what it is to be a royal is changing.

10 percent of people think William should only focus on 'royal duties'. Now I think we can safely assume that if the public doesn't think William should only be doing royal duties then Kate should be allowed to be a 'mum' in addition to being royal.

William said in his interview with the BBC 'What does being a full-time royal even mean nowadays' when asked about it. He knows the public expect 'modern' royals to have a life other than cutting ribbons and attending state banquets. Although this is very important and increasing will become the focus.

The newspapers obsess but William and Harry are way out in front on this.

Harry in NZ said he and William need 'regular' jobs to stay grounded. To keep in touch with the people they serve. It seems the public agrees.

Now no doubt the time will come in the reign of their father where both boys will be needed more. And the Queen and Charles have a firm grasp on what is important for William right now.

He's checking all the boxes. Duchy of Cornwall, got it covered. Oversees foreign tours, got it covered. Doing investitures, got it covered. Receiving ambassadors, got it covered. Holding done a job in addition to royal duties, got it covered.
I agree. This way they will have "real work" in their portfolio. I think that is what's missing with alot of politicians (and teachers for that matter) , they never worked as anything else before so they are not really familiar with the world outside politics/teaching. This way William and Harry have a totally new understanding of working life than earlier royals. They might not know how it is to not be able to pay the bills. But they know how it is to take orders, to work, to sit on your coffebreak with your microwave food etc. I think that will be very valueble. And I also think it will be a good PR point in the future. Just like pulling the "The queen worked as a mechanic in the war"-card earns alot of points nowdays so will "King William used to fly rescue helicopters".

I think she finds it hard to inject her personality into her speeches. Making speeches isn't easy, but she'll only get better if she do more of them. I think the one she did at her old school (just before it was announced she was pregnant with George) was her best.

Oh I agree that public speaking isn't something that comes naturally to the majority of people and its something that is mastered over time with practice.

Right now, I bet Kate is a whole lot better at saying "No" than she used to be just from having a very curious little whirlwind of a toddler named George. :D

When Charles becomes King he will almost certainly be either nearing 70 or have passed that milestone. We don't know what Camilla's health and stamina will be like. The Kents may well be retired. Even though William did more or less dismiss the idea of he and Kate being full-time royals, I believe they and Harry probably will have to take on full-time royal duties out of necessity when Charles ascends the throne.

None of the other adult heirs to thrones have part time jobs in civilian or military occupations. Charles as Prince of Wales certainly wouldn't have time for one and hasn't since he left the navy (and his parent as monarch was much younger then than Charles is now.)

Well when Charles ascends the throne I think all three will be full-time. What William was referring to is the term 'full-time' comes with no requirements.

When we look just at the engagements totals in the CC this becomes clear. Charles and Camilla are both 'full-time' royals and yet Charles carries out well over twice the number of engagements. The point is you're just royal. You either work for the firm or you don't.

So according to the YouGov poll from April an overwhelming number of people think William should work as an air ambulance rescue pilot and carry out royal engagements.

When more is needed of them they'll be there.

Last edited:
I think within two years, the Cambridge's main focus will be on official royal duties. William has even said that he knows what's around the corner, and the doors of him having an outside job is closing.

I think within two years, the Cambridge's main focus will be on official royal duties. William has even said that he knows what's around the corner, and the doors of him having an outside job is closing.

It could be next week and it could be 5 years from now. No one really knows. The main thing is that none of it will come as a big surprise and the Cambridges will be prepared and ready to do whatever is required of them when the time does come.

It could be next week and it could be 5 years from now. No one really knows. The main thing is that none of it will come as a big surprise and the Cambridges will be prepared and ready to do whatever is required of them when the time does come.

Yeah, but he knows the outside job he's doing now will be a short occupation. With The Queen turning 90 and Prince Philip in his mid 90's, William and Catherine will step up their game well before Charles comes to the throne. That's just how it's got to be and they know it. His current job with the Air Ambulance is wonderful and honorable, but it won't be long before it all ends, and royal duties is the only focus.

People seem to forget that the Queen Mother lived to 102. There really is no way of knowing how long it will be before W&K are needed, the Queen could have another ten years.

:previous: The Queen Mother did not "work 'til she dropped". She gave up 99% well before.

:previous: The Queen Mother did not "work 'til she dropped". She gave up 99% well before.

It wasn't just the work factor either with the Queen Mum. She was there mostly as support for her family. I do believe that her mother was the Queen's private leaning post and foremost confidante right up until the end. They had a very concrete and stable family life and the Queen realizes that is exactly what Will and Kate need to build on with their children also.

I don't think the Cambridge's will wait until someone get sick and pass on. They will focus on royal duties in the need to help The Queen, who's entering her 90's, and Prince Philip, who's in his mid 90's.

Also, their family life will not be affected. The royals aren't on the royal stage 24/7. They will always have a private life, just like other members of the family have.

Last edited:
Is there enough money to support a huge jump in the numbers of the Cambridges say from 80 to 250 without Philip or Queen cutting their numbers back?

William air pilot contract is for two years so I don't see him leaving in those 2 years if Philip and Queen remain active like they are now.

I don't think the Cambridge's will wait until someone get sick and pass on. They will focus on royal duties in the need to help The Queen, who's entering her 90's, and Prince Philip, who's in his mid 90's.

Also, their family life will not be affected. The royals aren't on the royal stage 24/7. They will always have a private life, just like other members of the family have.

They don't have to wait until someone is sick, or on a deathbed. They have to wait for the Queen to decide that they need to become full-time royals. Her Majesty and Prince Philip show no signs of slowing down, so, we have a while yet. You don't think having more royal duties won't effect their family life? They'll see their children less, and that's not something to take lightly, especially when the children are under three. I can see more engagements once both children start school, but not before (more than likely not even then). Her Majesty seems to be fine with the current arrangement, and she knows more about this than any of us. Believe me, if she wasn't satisfied, and wanted change, it would happen. You make the Wueen, and her husband sound as if they're ready to fail, but I'm seeing two peoples let who are enjoying being active, doing engagements, rather than sitting at home, wrapped up in plaid blankets, watching the tele. I don't think we'll ever agree, but I respect your devotion to your views, and always willing to have a discussion. And Skippyboo, thank you for bringing up the piloting gig. My thoughts weren't as organized as I would have liked.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom