The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

The people who don't like William just don't like him. Its not about being an air ambulance pilot, its about looking to find fault for the sake of it.

Its always the same people who criticised his military career, criticise his wife, criticise his living arrangements etc.

Does anyone noticed that the people who want William to be a "full-time" royal are also the people who slate him and Kate when they do public engagements.

Many of them are from the Harry fan club who have never come to grips with the fact their favourite royal won't be king.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Not seeing the logic in this but if this how you feel...
It was in reply to posts that William & Kate are part time so not to overshadow Charles & Camilla which led me to... and others took the posts out of context.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
If we can discuss what will happen to William if the Queen/Charles dies while he is working as a medievac pilot isn't that speculating about the Queen's, Philip's or Charles' death. It is only logical to think about the pilot doing the flying.
My problem isn't with acknowledging the dangers of his job. My problems is how it's being said. I find the stuff about 'St. William' and how his death will hurt Charles and Camilla's reputation to be gross. YMMV.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

William & Kate being part time because Charles is jealous.

The reason for William's decision to join the medievac is so not to overshadow Charles and Camilla.

William and Kate need to keep a low profile so Charles can build up his popularity.

And the next attack on C&C will be....
Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

William and Kate are the most popular royal couple by a mile

I don't think its a stretch to believe the Firm thinks having W&K as the standard bearers of the BRF is the best thing in the short term.

The BRF is the only European royal family that the 2nd in line to the throne is more popular than the heir

Is it really inconceivable the Firm wants the focus on Charles and Camilla as they will be the next king and queen?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

The focus is already on Charles & Camilla and they perform a great deal of engagements and now attend the State Opening of Parliament. There's room for Charles & Camilla and the Cambridge's on the royal stage. Very evident during the WWI events, Diamond Jubliee, royal tours, etc.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

If the firm wanted to focus on Charles and Camilla rather than share the 'glory',

Charles & Camilla would have been in Belgium rather than W&K.

Charles & Camilla would have attended more Commonwealth games.

Charles & Camilla would have placed the poppies at the Tower.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

It wouldn't have mattered what royal role W&K did to commemorate WWI. Had they been in Scotland the Daily Mail would have still made them their focus and front page.

W&K are the head liners as far as the media and press are concerned. Others hardly rate a mention.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness

William is the one who is hesitant about increasing his royal duties.

It is his decision not to become a full time royal and it has nothing to do with lack of money or Charles & Camilla or his presumed popularity over his father.

His own word to Katie Couric in May 2012.
“But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”
Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
William and Kate are the most popular royal couple by a mile

I don't think its a stretch to believe the Firm thinks having W&K as the standard bearers of the BRF is the best thing in the short term.

The BRF is the only European royal family that the 2nd in line to the throne is more popular than the heir

Is it really inconceivable the Firm wants the focus on Charles and Camilla as they will be the next king and queen?
In a recent poll, William was the most popular royal but this was published at the same time that another poll said more people preferred Charles to be king than William.

It is a mistake to think that popularity means people want William to be king now. I dontbelieve they do.

I dont think Charles is jealous. He loves both his boys. More speculation mainly by posters who dont like him. The line of succession will not change. William wants to contribute directly to society. Hehas found a way to do that. Good for him.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I do think William really wants to fly an air ambulance and perform public service but I agree with Jane Barr that this is a decision the Firm fully backs because it removes the spotlight from W&K and hopefully onto C&C

Quote:
I realise this is a blog but Jane's opinion is she thinks the Firm doesn't want W&K having all the spotlight and sucking all the oxygen out of the BRF so its a win win for everyone. William can pursue a job he loves and refocuses the attention back on Charles and Camilla

From Berkshire to Buckingham
Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
In a recent poll, William was the most popular royal but this was published at the same time that said more people preferred Charles to be king than William.

It is a mistake to think that popularity means people want William to be king now. I dontbelieve they do.

I dont think Charles is jealous. He loves both his boys. More speculation mainly by posters who dont like him. The line of succession will not change. William wants to contribute directly to society. Hehas found a way to do that. Good for him.
So you think the Firm has no issues or reservations that the heir is overshadowed by his son?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think when it comes to those working for the "firm", there isn't any competition of who gets more glory, does the more worthier engagements or even who is spotlighted the most. The main concern I think for the royals representing the Crown and the Queen (along with the Queen herself) is to present a united front and work as a team to serve the people.

Its the media that puts slants on their activities and inserts certain "innuendos" that serve to put jealousies, slights, and sometimes even has Camilla hitting the booze while the Queen lies dying.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So you think the Firm has no issues or reservations that the heir is overshadowed by his son?
No I don't. the only place I see this written about is in US press and bloggers. Not written about here, not even by the DM. I think the entire BRF know that if there is a choice of a picture to be published and its Catherine vs Charles, then it will be Catherine; she even would be published ahead of the Queen. But that doesnt change anything. They continue to do their work as they always have.

EDIT. Just read Osipi's post above this one. The last comment comes from a US magazine. Nothing like that iswritten in the UK. Its made up nonsense

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
No I don't. the only place I see this written about is in US press and bloggers. Not written about here, not even by the DM. I think the entire BRF know that if there is a choice of a picture to be published and its Catherine vs Charles, then it will be Catherine; she even would be published ahead of the Queen. But that doesnt change anything. They continue to do their work as they always have.

EDIT. Just read Osipi's post above this one. The last comment comes from a US magazine. Nothing like that iswritten in the UK. Its made up nonsense
A picture of Duchess of Cambridge is much better than no picture at all. The royal families are no novices when it comes to PR.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think when it comes to those working for the "firm", there isn't any competition of who gets more glory, does the more worthier engagements or even who is spotlighted the most. The main concern I think for the royals representing the Crown and the Queen (along with the Queen herself) is to present a united front and work as a team to serve the people.

Its the media that puts slants on their activities and inserts certain "innuendos" that serve to put jealousies, slights, and sometimes even has Camilla hitting the booze while the Queen lies dying.
Right, the royals have never competed with one another. They simply focus on doing the work. I think it's hard for some people to fully understand that.

I remember when Catherine married William, there were people saying The Queen wouldn't want to be overshadowed by the young and beautiful Catherine during her Diamond Jubliee celebrations. Who was the first person The Queen put at her side during the start of her Jubilee tour of the country? Catherine. No one is worried or jealous of the Cambridge's popularity and coverage they get. The royals will tell you that themselves.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Will could die in a helicopter crash on his way to a royal function - royals ride them all the time. Or in his bed one night at the age of 95.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Majesty

All this nonsens about skipping one place in the line of succession will never happen. Let us face it, Prince William is a man in his thirties, already balding and not the most charismatic type of guy. In some 15-16 years a young, dashing and handsome Prince George will attract all attention as the world's most eligible bachelor and when he finally meets a partner, William and Catherine will undoubtedly fall behind in media attention and popularity. Following the same logic William should then skip the throne for the more popular George and his glamorous wife?

This will never happen.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Will could die in a helicopter crash on his way to a royal function - royals ride them all the time. Or in his bed one night at the age of 95.
As I said: Williams mother had no dangerous job and she died in a car crash. Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau had no dangerous job and he died in an avalanche. King Albert I of the Belgians had no dangerous job and he died because of a fall from a mountain. Crown Prince Gustaf of Sweden (the father of the present King) had no dangerous job and he died in a plane crash. Princess Grace of Monaco had no dangerous job and she died in a car crash.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William is the one who is hesitant about increasing his royal duties.

It is his decision not to become a full time royal and it has nothing to do with lack of money or Charles & Camilla or his presumed popularity over his father.

His own word to Katie Couric in May 2012.
“But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”
I've always agreed that Will is a reluctant royal; seems clear to me that he has no intention of living life as his grandmother had.

Cepe made a good point that the Queen lives in an Edwardian court and nobody born in 1982 is going to live that way.

So he will reinvent the role, or at least he will try to. Whether he does so successfully or not is anyone's guess.

My guess, and this is a guess, if Will had his way he'd be a private person most days of the week and then don a crown and scepter and perform some kingly duties. A part-timer for life, if you will. Can this be accomplished?

To have people accepted as royalty requires a certain suspension of disbelief. Nobody really believes in Divine Right anymore, but you sort of still have to employ that suspension of disbelief and accept it a little bit. That comment about never lifting the veil of mystery was a brilliant comment, at least at the time it was made. If Will is seen as too "normal" then what of this veil of mystery, this "suspension of disbelief?" I don't know if it will work - maybe it will - and neither does anybody else.