The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Courtier

Maybe it is just me, but what is the big deal what or how he said it?

Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
Maybe it is just me, but what is the big deal what or how he said it?
There's no problem, there's no gap year.

But "people hear what they want to hear".

Some people here are convinced that the Duke of Cambridge is just wasting time and will not work for the next year, and they'll not change their minds.

But, despite his so-called gap year, His Royal Highness has attended an engagement today:

Buckingham Palace football match: Duke of Cambridge warns not to break windows - Telegraph

Old 10-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Courtier

It is always the same people who choose to look at things from a negative viewpoint. Mostly avowed republicans. You can see them coming a mile off. No sense arguing with them. Ignore works best for that kind.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Courtier

Some of you think he will be doing NOTHING for a year. That is a load of rubbish he his doing something today. Don't you think this things require a lot of planning in advanced. And on top of all that William has only just moved into his offical residence. Not his fault it took longer than expected.

William just done 7 years as an RAF rescue pilot apparently that is not real work to some on this forum.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I beg to differ with you..This press release is not making things quite clear..
In fact it is a VERY VERY VAGUE job description of the centre-most royal, who is at the prime of his age, charm and popularity..
And then what is this..considering a number of options..Please..you dont quit an existing job (unless you hate it) and then start considering options. These options should have been considered and very clear and specific plans made before quitting..
A further announcement on which will follow in due course..THAT SHOULD HAVE COME WITH THE ONE ABOUT QUITTING.. People dont have patience to wait..
And atleast for me..that phrase clearly fits the definition of a gap year..
Exactly. Internally they will have known for long time that William would quit the Air Force (by the way, I dont think anyone on this forum doesnt consider the RAF work as 'work', completely missing the point).

To me it looks like they are just buying time, a 'gap year in disguise'.

There might be people on this board who look at things from a negative viewpoint and they will have their reasons - that are as valid as the reasons those have who believe every message the palace tries to sell to the public. Its a matter of opinion, not of wrong or right.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

The point is that the press release said that William will continue to do what he has been doing. Which was fine because he was also a full-time SAR pilot.

The work in the military has stopped with no indication of what will fill that space/time - because he is considering his options. Come on, it's not as if he has suddenly been made redundant from his SAR job and needs time to think! As a previous poster said, he has had time.

And frankly, conservation of the African Rhino does not rate at the top of the list for most of the public. Worthy, but he needs to take on more stuff at home or in the Commonwealth.

I like this couple and if I knew them as a friend I would be having an eye-ball conversation about not taking the mickey and showing their face on a more regular basis. Catherine will be given more time because of George, but not that much.

Its hard, some of you will say its unfair, but that is how I see it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Courtier

Exactly..this is what I meant in my post # 92. But then people started calling me all sorts of names..
Anyways what I was saying is the transition should have been handled much better PR-wise..And the planning should have been done much better, well in advance.
One thing is William should take up some appealing causes which the middle-class people can identify with. And I dont think conservation in Africa is that appealing for normal middle-class people.
But if you ask me to suggest one, I frankly cant. Unemployed youth is the best, but Charles has taken that. Maybe Will should work full-time for that..
Charities for children are usually for female royals..not much appealing for William..

Maybe we should start a discussion on which causes William should take up a prime mission in his life..and what will become his identity..
We have to remember that this is the prime time..The goodwill he gets now will be with him forever, even during bad times.. It will always get him some respite and respect evn if everything goes against him. Just like his father got..
Old 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Nobility

Do the Royals, at least in their early years, take up charities based on their "worthiness", or do they take up charities that are closest to their hearts, like we do?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

There isn't anything wrong with William spending time on conservation. A larger number of commonwealth countries are in Africa where these animals are being killed in a growing rate for their horn or tusk to be used as medicine which doesn't work. The money from this illegal activity is being used to fund crime and terrorism. The preservation of these animals can help the economies of these countries by providing tourism income. William can bring the worlds attention to causes that aren't chic and popular . There is also three generations of British royals involved in wildlife conservation so he grew up with an appreciation for the natural world.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

He wont be allowed to spend an extended time in Africa, it is not safe enough for him and George. Kenya in particular is exceedingly dangerous with white farmers and conservation workers being murdered.

what he needs to do is increase his current workload while he considers his options. Many of you see all this from a distance and with knowledge and interest in royalty. That doesnt apply to the vast majority of the British public who consider that they fund him( and I dont need to be told about royal financing cos I know how it works) and think he should apply himself to British interests full time.

this is in addition to the rubbish written by some aspects of the press saying that he should lessen the workload of DoE and HMQ. No chance, cos he couldnt make them do it. But that story is alive and kicking - and that is unfair.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

He doesn't have to go to Africa to help wildlife conservation. What he can do is bring people and groups together, raise public awareness and raise money.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'm all for conservation, but particularly so in conserving nature and the environment on British soil! Coastal erosion is a huge problem in some places as well as flooding - there won't be much land left to reign over at this rate!
I'm happy for William to do anything worthwhile in the overseas territories and realms, especially the smaller, often forgotten places.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm all for conservation, but particularly so in conserving nature and the environment on British soil! Coastal erosion is a huge problem in some places as well as flooding - there won't be much land left to reign over at this rate!
I'm happy for William to do anything worthwhile in the overseas territories and realms, especially the smaller, often forgotten places.
Brilliant idea re coastal erosion, and you should write to him about it -seriously, it is so important. I think that it is the loss of habitat which really matters, cos we cant afford to prop up all of our coasts. I really am excited by your idea.

skippyboo, your ideais fine but thats 1 day a month probably.

Ps, re coastal erosion habitat, this impacts on the entire of GB and NI, plus potential to assist other countries.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Coastal erosion is a great idea. I'd like to see him take up his father's work in sustainable farming, but I've read that Will does not have a green thumb, although Charles tried to encourage it throughout his childhood. Thanks, Katie Nicholl....

Cepe, I completely agree with your commentary that when one is in the public eye and one's role really rests upon perception rather than reality, one must concentrate very hard on the perception. Unfair, yes. But life is not fair.

The problem I see with Will's non-gap year (notice how I did NOT refer to it as a GAP YEAR) is that it will appear to the general public that he is doing

(1) easy, interesting things
(2) things involving world travel (why work in a cold, slummy area of Britain when you can go to Kenya
(3) things he wants to do.

Now, again, I too am speaking from the perspective of the general public. Will is being allowed to pursue what few can do - his passions. Conservation, travel. I just saw photos of him involved in a football match at BP. No matter how important these things in fact are, no matter how much he might be doing behind the scenes, he needs to build up the perception that he is working. Frankly, the football game looked like fun. For most of us working means doing things one does not care to do, but one does.

It is what it is. No matter what the reality of Will's life is, the perception has to change. Princess Anne, for instance, has certainly built up the perception that she does hard work on the real world.

Even Will's mother built up that perception.....
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Courtier

It not a popularity contest. Charles image has improve (maybe not a ton but it better then 15 years ago) and more polling are showing that people's want him to be king when The Queen dies. The only reason some people's don't want Charles is because of the whole Diana/Camilla thing and they fail to overlook his personal work and duties. Prince Charles is more prepared then William is right now and he has been preparing his whole life to become king and he will make a fine king. Charles is probably the most prepared and ready to be King you could ask for. William is not there yet and he need some more practice which may not really start until he becomes Heir and first in line. No one resent William for getting more attention, where do you get your source? It not fair for Charles to be passed by his some as he has been preparing his whole life to be king and even William has said himself he want Charles to be king first.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess me View Post
In the 21st century monarchy it is a popularity contest. Take the popularity of the monarchy away and it will fold like a deck of cards.
You are talking talking institution as a whole, I am talking two individuals. Charles will be king whether peoples like it or not . You get what you get as IT IS NOT a Popularity Contest.

Edward VII (at the time was the prince of wales) was not very popular before he became king and peoples wanted his son George V (then the duke of york) to become king over Prince Edward and George was more popular but when Edward became king and became a very popular King. Charles image has improve and there more support for Charles then there were 15 years ago. He also in a age clash (where the young and the older person is more popular then the person in the middle)
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Aristocracy

William does a great deal of work with the homeless/umemployed youth in Centerpoint. I would like to see that continued and expanded if possible...as I know he will. He will also continue his support of the military and military families which I think is very important. As time goes on, I see him becoming more involved with the Church and its various charities.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Courtier

I have a question as an admitted "newbie" in the royal world: Are all charities, patronages, etc., "advertised" and made known to the public, or do some royals do "under the radar" charity work that is never advertised?? I ask because while I know and believe Princess Anne - QEII's daughter - does an enormous amount of work, it does not seem to get much press. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places LOL. Thank you ahead of time.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

You can go to the British Monarchy website www.royal.gov.uk . It has a page for future events where you can search by name, royal or location. However, not all events are on it especially stuff for the Wales. Who tend to announce stuff on her own website and Clarence House twitter feed. The BM website also has a searchable court circular which lists the events the various royals did. For example, tomorrow's court circular will have something similar to HRH The Duke of Cambridge, President of The FA attended a awards reception for FA volunteers at Buckingham Palace.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

The royals under a various range of work:

Patron of a charity; historically this has been a titular role (particularly for HMQ) but in more recent years has been for royals with an active interst, ie Princess Anne interest in Riding for the Disabled.
Patron of a particular area of interest, ie today William hosted the football at BP cos he is Patron of the Football Association(FA). These are the main areas and cover anything from Centrepoint for the Homeless, Wimbledon, WWF, Arts etc etc
Short term patronages, ie a year long patronage for a specific purpose
General engagements, ie opening of hospitals, theatres, gardens, launching ships etc etc
annual events, such as Remembrance services in November, Garter Ceremony, Royal Ascot, Holyrood Week, etc.

individual royals get involved in all of these but the annual events are important and led by HMQ and the majority of royals are involved.

Closed Thread