Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I think the future of the monarchy depends a great deal on George and his siblings and cousins. If William's children see the value in the monarchy, William assume the throne for their sake. I doubt if he'll serve his whole life. I think he'll abdicate when he turns a certain age (say 70).

However, if George and the other royal children of his generation find that the drawbacks (no privacy, unrelenting criticism, and lack of choice of profession) outweigh the benefits, I think the monarchy will end with William.

I think so too. Diana's death was the death-knell of Will wanting to be king or royal, IMO.

I think so too. Diana's death was the death-knell of Will wanting to be king or royal, IMO.

But he was a teenager. :ermm: People change. As he enters his 40's and 50's, one never knows how differently he will feel about it all. My hunch is he will mellow into it.

I agree that there was a time when he seemed averse to his life's destiny, but that seems to have changed over the years. Looks like he's gotten over stuff. Part of that may be that the BRF (the Queen, and also Charles) see things differently now. William will be able to have a life of work he likes (flying helicopters) along with a regular family life. Might be making a difference for him. Pure speculation, of course. I have no real idea about anything to do with him.

But he was a teenager. :ermm: People change. As he enters his 40's and 50's, one never knows how differently he will feel about it all. My hunch is he will mellow into it.

I agree that there was a time when he seemed averse to his life's destiny, but that seems to have changed over the years. Looks like he's gotten over stuff. Part of that may be that the BRF (the Queen, and also Charles) see things differently now. William will be able to have a life of work he likes (flying helicopters) along with a regular family life. Might be making a difference for him. Pure speculation, of course. I have no real idea about anything to do with him.
I think, in his teens and early 20s he had much in his life to sort out and come to terms with. But he seems more at ease and comfortable nowdays and I think he has come more to terms with not being able to choose his life. And he actually seem to come more to terms with the privacy thing as well. I have high hopes.

And as you say. All this is pure speculation

I think William has the potential to be a very successful monarch and would be more likely to steer the institution towards a model similar to the other royal houses of Europe.

I don't understand what you and a few others here mean with the other European moddel? I agree that the family is too big, but neither Charles or William will downsize the monarchy. That problem will resolve itself, and the family will already be smaller when William becomes king.

The British royal family is doing more for charity than the others combined, and the monarchy works very well.

I dread the day the Queen dies, but I think both Charles and William will be successfull monarchs.

The downsized royal family does not mean those who already do good work will be fired just that there job will be given to the new Senior members and when they have big events the balcony does not look like it is going to collapse at any moment. Charles,Camilla, William, Catherine, and Henry will be the new familt.

The downsized royal family does not mean those who already do good work will be fired just that there job will be given to the new Senior members and when they have big events the balcony does not look like it is going to collapse at any moment. Charles,Camilla, William, Catherine, and Henry will be the new familt.

If William and Catherine do have a 'large' family, of 3 to 4 children, and in time Harry has at least 2 (the going number for a family), that is 6 members of the next generation (with spouses, 12), to support grandfather, father and then brother/cousin. Seems big enough, bigger even than now. :flowers: Plus there will still be Anne and Edward and Sophie doing work from the older generation, and Harry and his wife.

That's a good one. He won't upset his gran or Dad - but will overthrow the current nature of the government. :lol::ROFLMAO::lol::ROFLMAO::lol::ROFLMAO:

We are governed by an elected government not the royal family, it's my personal opinion and only time will tell what happens in the future. Also what I said about William I include his children in. George isn't even being brought up royal, his upbringing is replicating that of his mother and I can see why this would concern Prince Charles if those reports are true. William might be reluctant but his children are going to grow up with practically no clue of what being royal is at this rate and he seems very happy with that.

P.S. Can't see Harry being that bothered about taking up the reins either if it fell to him. I think trying to compare him and William to Kings from nearly 100 years ago in terms of duty to the monarchy etc is way off the mark. It's a different world we live in now.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are governed by an elected government not the royal family, it's my personal opinion and only time will tell what happens in the future. Also what I said about William I include his children in. George isn't even being brought up royal, his upbringing is replicating that of his mother and I can see why this would concern Prince Charles if those reports are true. William might be reluctant but his children are going to grow up with practically no clue of what being royal is at this rate and he seems very happy with that.

P.S. Can't see Harry being that bothered about taking up the reins either if it fell to him. I think trying to compare him and William to Kings from nearly 100 years ago in terms of duty to the monarchy etc is way off the mark. It's a different world we live in now.

I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that the monarchy will become smaller and much less formal under William's reign, if he takes the throne at all.

William definitely prefers the non-royal lifestyle to that of his father and grandmother. George is still very young and the situation may change after Charles ascends the throne but, at this point, he is being raised as a normal, upper-class child.

That doesn't mean George won't be drawn to the more traditional royal lifestyle when he gets older. Children have a way of surprising their parents and forming their own ideas and preferences.

He's 33 now and still does not want to be royal.

He's 33 now and still does not want to be royal.

If so, welcome to the club, William. Many/most of us have to assume a role in life that we would not have chosen.

My husband would certainly have preferred a simple life as an artist to the one which fell to him: managing his father's estates, caring for his elderly mother, making sure his older brother and sister were able to live in a comfortable fashion, supervising his nieces' and nephews' financial lives, all while being a wonderful husband and father in addition to his responsibilities to his (other than family) financial clients. He bears his burden with a stiff upper lip, and a clear conscience, and I share his burden in the same fashion.

Unless you are a weasely wastrel, that's what you do in life: live up to your solemn duties and responsibilities.

And yes, Charles was brought up to be very royal, and he was unhappy until he was nearly 60 years old. And while he was always royal, he was not always noble.

We all have our own opinions - and most of us want to hold onto them because, frankly, we think we are right.

We will find out how motivated Wills actually is when his Dad dies. I hope that's not for a while. All else is speculation and not worth a rise in blood pressure IMO. If fame/expectations are his demons, he is in good company, and he seems to be coping in a functional way.

I'm just happy that he seems so happy at an age well before his father found peace. It's the same thing I'd wish for anyone, and all of you.

Carry on. :whistling:

I really do not understand how people come to think William does not want to be royal and does not want to preform his duties. I have seen nothing to indicate this.

LaRae

Unless you are a weasely wastrel, that's what you do in life: live up to your solemn duties and responsibilities.

There are duties & responsibilities, and there are duties & responsibilities.

In my opinion the British monarchy, and the monarch's role, could be trimmed back into something quite different from the current model, and I think Diana Spencer's son is just the person to do it.

Of course if it were pared down to bare bones, without the distracting shiny baubles and fancy clothes, maybe the people would decide they don't want it anymore.

Time will tell.

I really do not understand how people come to think William does not want to be royal and does not want to preform his duties. I have seen nothing to indicate this.

LaRae

I don't either. I think people read too many tabloids and take them too seriously. That and they have ridiculously high expectations for a man who is not even the heir.

I think William is not adverse to being King. I think he sees it as his duty, not one he would have choose but one he do to the very best of his ability. Every step he is taking right now is, in a sense, bidding his time until he is heir. He doesn't have a clearly defined role and is doing his best to fill his time with meaningful occupations and charity work. I think he will do well when the time comes because he has a deep sense of duty and commitment and a love and respect for the people he represents.

LaRae

I don't understand it either. William has embraced his royal role more in recent years and George will grow up to understand his future responsibilities as well. His mother and father will prepare him and his sibling very well.

I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that the monarchy will become smaller and much less formal under William's reign, if he takes the throne at all.

I have a hunch it won't. :flowers: I think it will be about the same.

at this point, he is being raised as a normal, upper-class child.

I'm curious: what does that mean in your eyes? Why is upper-class not royal?

That doesn't mean George won't be drawn to the more traditional royal lifestyle when he gets older. Children have a way of surprising their parents and forming their own ideas and preferences.

Here it is again: what distinguishes a royal lifestyle from, say, an upper-class lifestyle?

George isn't even being brought up royal, his upbringing is replicating that of his mother and I can see why this would concern Prince Charles if those reports are true. William might be reluctant but his children are going to grow up with practically no clue of what being royal is at this rate and he seems very happy with that.

I need help with this: George lives in a palace and on an estate belonging to the Queen. He has gone on tour and watched as flocks of people applauded and bowed to his parents (and to him). He will one day soon be standing on a balcony with people in tiaras, watching crowds cheering his family. How does all that constitute being 'upper-class' but not 'royal'?

Because of his mother, we can assume that George will be brought up in a warm and happy home. filled with doting extended family. How is that 'not royal'? In fact the Queen had that kind of mothering and it seems to have done her good. Why not George?

Plus I don't think Charles is concerned, but that's an opinion. If I were to speculate, my guess would be that Charles is very pleased with Catherine and by extension, the Middletons. It's more a hope because it's pure guessing on my part. I have nothing to go on to think differently, so why do?

Well done ? We should mail some Lion King DVDs to KP to get Cheeks watching it 20 times in a row ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Funny you shuould mention it. Shuld you go to youtube, I just saw a vid on Charles with the Lion King Music. I just cant wait to be king....

I think William is not adverse to being King. I think he sees it as his duty, not one he would have choose but one he do to the very best of his ability. Every step he is taking right now is, in a sense, bidding his time until he is heir. He doesn't have a clearly defined role and is doing his best to fill his time with meaningful occupations and charity work. I think he will do well when the time comes because he has a deep sense of duty and commitment and a love and respect for the people he represents.

I totally agree with this post. All the interviews I've seen Prince William do on TV leads me to believe he will do his best and not shirk his Royal duty. And as someone else pointed out, at this stage he is still the Heir's Heir. I see nothing wrong with him working with the air ambulance, and also doing Royal duties while he is still Duke of Cambridge. Once he is Prince of Wales, then I would expect things to change. And as to some earlier posts, not on this thread, that say Kate is not up to the job, I say from what I've seen she does very well. She always looks interested and alert while on walkabout. And George is being brought up in a very happy stable family.

US Royal Watcher said:
at this point, he's being raised as a normal, upper-class child
Lady Nimue said:
What does this mean in your eyes? Why is upper-class not royal?

From the moment of his birth, William and Catherine made it clear they were going to do things differently. For example, they didn't notify the Queen or Prince Charles until several hours after his birth. They didn't hire a nanny in the first few months, instead they relied on Catherine's family for help.

William and Catherine have also made it clear they don't want people to address them as "HRH," or bow or curtsey. I'm not sure at what age Charles became "sir," but I am willing to bet money that George will never be known as HRH or "sir" if his parents have anything to say about it.

I'm not criticizing William and Catherine, I support their decisions, but George is not going to be brought up the way Charles, or even William, was. I think that is for the best because the world has changed a lot in the last 30-60 years, but George's modern upbringing will impact the way he will perceive his royal role.

The concept of monarchy is based on the belief that the royal family have, based on their heritage, a duty to represent the UK and, in return, receive a certain amount of deference. I think William agrees that he owes a duty to the people of the UK, but I don't think he believes that he is owed any deference from his fellow Britons (although he would welcome it from the paparazzi).

We don't know how that will influence George but it will certainly impact him. I suspect the monarchy will change drastically with William but, of course, there is no way to foresee the future. William may intend to make major changes but then not do so when the time comes, or the reverse: he doesn't intend to make major changes but will forced to do so based on circumstances.

:previous: US Royal Watcher - Everything you say does not convince me that George is not being raised royal. Being called 'sir' is an anachronism, it's Medieval, and way past it's time. I also see nothing alarming about the fact that George bonded to his mother and extended family rather than a nanny in his first few months.

As best as I can make out, from everything you say, the BRF will be relaxed and modern, like the Danish royal family. A very good thing imo. I say that as an American, with American sensibilities. I can't speak for those under monarchial rule, of course.

Anyway, I think I see William dispassionately. I think his mother never intended for William not to be king. William will be king and will be king with all the sense of privilege and entitlement his class engenders, as will George. Just a hunch. ;)

:previous: US Royal Watcher - Everything you say does not convince me that George is not being raised royal. Being called 'sir' is an anachronism, it's Medieval, and way past it's time. I also see nothing alarming about the fact that George bonded to his mother and extended family rather than a nanny in his first few months.

This reminds me of the time right before his wedding, William asked (and received permission from the governments involved) to go to Australia and New Zealand following the awful catastrophes that hit down under. Meeting with the families that had been affected, he said "Just call me William". To me, it wasn't that he didn't want to be known by HRH or sir but to emphasize the fact that they were the ones of importance and concern at that time. He was sensitive to the people he was with. It was the same in his military role. He was one of many doing a job and he didn't want to be deferred to. There are times when protocol dictates that the deference be in place and I really don't think he'd mess with that.

With George's birth and the amount of global interest in every little detail of how they live their lives, the image that has come across is of a very hands on and closely linked family unit with grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles and sleepless nights and teething. Kate has aimed her focus on her charities to be those that benefit home, children and families. Her support and concern on these matters are so much more believable I think because she, herself, has the hands on home life and tries to set the example of what a happy family life can be.

When I think about it, perhaps with being able to identify and connect with a royal family is all good. Better to be able to feel that one's royal family is approachable rather than see them up in the clouds on pedestals and untouchable.

As best as I can make out, from everything you say, the BRF will be relaxed and modern, like the Danish royal family. A very good thing imo. I say that as an American, with American sensibilities. I can't speak for those under monarchial rule, of course.

Anyway, I think I see William dispassionately. I think his mother never intended for William not to be king. William will be king and will be king with all the sense of privilege and entitlement his class engenders, as will George. Just a hunch. ;)

I'm not saying that the way George is being brought up is alarming, I'm saying it is different. The world is changing and George is being brought up differently than his father and his grandfather. I don't think it is a bad thing but it will change the future of the monarchy.

I'm not sure I understand your final paragraph about Diana's intent. I agree that Diana was a monarchist and wanted William to be king but that doesn't mean that William wants to be. Even if he does, it doesn't mean he will be.

A lot of things are going to change in the next 20 or so years. There is a question about how much money the government will allow the monarch to spend. Yes, I know the monarch's income in from the Duchy of Lancaster, but that can change--all it takes is new legislation. I think that some of the palaces and estates currently used by the Queen and her extended family will become unavailable as the cost to maintain them increases.

Will George and his sibling(s) be able to follow their own dreams regarding a profession? William is being allowed to do so now but we don't know how that will continue. In the U.S., there is an age limit so by the time Charles ascends, William may be on the brink of retirement anyway.

On the other hand, George will be younger than William when he becomes the heir apparent. How will the public react if George decides he doesn't want to go into the military? What if he really wants to be a doctor or go into the clergy? There is a lot we don't know. What if the public hates the person George wants to marry? What if George is gay? What if George doesn't want to get married and have children?

More importantly, there is a question about how the media and the public will allow royals to live their lives. Will George be left alone when he goes to school or will some the families of other students sell stories about him to the tabloids? Will the media start an unrelenting stream of criticism of William and his family?

All of that will affect William and George's decision. Personally, I think I am looking at it dispassionately and I don't see any evidence that William has any great longing to be a "royal." I do see evidence that he wants to live a "normal" life. I think he has a strong sense of duty, but I think he would be happier if he were in the same position as his cousins, wealthy but not facing the same demands and expectations.

Last edited:
@RE_DailyMail: Shortly before departing for Japan and China, William completed and passed his Air Transport Pilot's Licence exams it can be revealed.

@RE_DailyMail: The Duke sat 14 written exams on a range of aviation topics including the Principles of Flight, Navigation, Flight Planning and Air Law.

@RE_DailyMail: After he returns from his tour he will start working for East Anglian Air Ambulance and be formally employed by Bond Air Services.

@RE_DailyMail: He will required to complete further mandatory training, involving aircraft training, in-flight skills testing and further written exams.

@RE_DailyMail: Shortly before departing for Japan and China, William completed and passed his Air Transport Pilot's Licence exams it can be revealed.

@RE_DailyMail: The Duke sat 14 written exams on a range of aviation topics including the Principles of Flight, Navigation, Flight Planning and Air Law.

@RE_DailyMail: After he returns from his tour he will start working for East Anglian Air Ambulance and be formally employed by Bond Air Services.

@RE_DailyMail: He will required to complete further mandatory training, involving aircraft training, in-flight skills testing and further written exams.

This might help assuage the fears of all those complaining about the lack of public engagements by Prince William.

Prince William closer to job as an air ambulance helicopter pilot after passing 14 'rigorous' exams - and plans to work 'as close to full time as possible' | Daily Mail Online
Prince William closer to job as an air ambulance helicopter pilot after passing 14 'rigorous' exams - and plans to work 'as close to full time as possible'

• Prince William plans to work as air ambulance helicopter pilot in summer
  • He passed 14 'rigorous' exams on navigation, flight planning and air law
  • Royal must complete ground school training before starting in the summer
  • This will involve simulated training and in-flight skill testing in bad weather
  • He will work for East Anglian Air Ambulance covering Cambridge
By Jenny Awford for MailOnline
Published: 03:56 EST, 26 February 2015 | Updated: 04:13 EST, 26 February 2015

Prince William is planning to start work as an air ambulance helicopter pilot in the summer after passing a 'rigorous' set of exams.
The Duke of Cambridge hopes to work 'as close to full time as possible' flying both day and night shifts after completing mandatory ground school training, which is expected to take a few months.
He had been studying for his air transport pilot licence exams since last September and passed all 14 exams required to work as a civilian helicopter pilot, Kensington Palace revealed.

Nice to hear. Exactly as I thought. He has been studying hard to get it out of the way before the tour!

When is he likely to start picking up his royal engagements?

Actually he's doing one as we speak. He's representing the Queen and the UK on a tour of China and Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom