The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #921  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The Times:After a period in which affection for the monarchy has been based either on devoted service (the Queen) or on work for charity( the Prince of Wales), the Duke of Cambridge is subtly reinventing the occupation by going back to work................

..........

The longevity of the Queen has meant that Prince Charles has been the king-in-waiting for a very long time. The Duke of Cambridge himself may well have decades in front of him before he takes the throne. It is to his credit that he wishes to do paid work and, in the process, he will slowly be transforming the idea of monarchy.

The lives of kings, queens and princes were once wholly remote from the people. In this more transparent age that is less true and the Duke of Cambridge has made a clever decision.
I think William has taken a page from the Continental Royals. The only difference is William's job is more a working man's job, rather than in finance or working for the Diplomatic Corps at the UN. I think what William is doing is a good thing and I hope he stays with it right through being King, especially if it satisfies him, and interests him. Those two aspects alone are worth gold to a person's sense of fulfillment.
__________________

  #922  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Miss Hathaway's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In the South, United States
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The Times wrote about William in one of its Leading Articles today. I think this extract puts forward an interesting and realistic take on yesterday's announcement

Quote:
The enduring appeal of the British monarchy is that it has understood the wisdom of Giuseppe di Lampedusa’s famous line from The Leopard: “If we want things to stay as they are, then things will have to change.” The younger royals, in particular, show every sign of understanding that the monarchy proceeds by adaptation.

After a period in which affection for the monarchy has been based either on devoted service (the Queen) or on work for charity( the Prince of Wales), the Duke of Cambridge is subtly reinventing the occupation by going back to work................

..........

The longevity of the Queen has meant that Prince Charles has been the king-in-waiting for a very long time. The Duke of Cambridge himself may well have decades in front of him before he takes the throne. It is to his credit that he wishes to do paid work and, in the process, he will slowly be transforming the idea of monarchy.

The lives of kings, queens and princes were once wholly remote from the people. In this more transparent age that is less true and the Duke of Cambridge has made a clever decision.

End
This is quite insightful and, I will add, I think that William disagrees with Charles's wish to streamline the working royals to Charles's immediate family and prefers that the royals be an "ensemble" with Anne, Andrew, Edward and the York girls involved.
__________________

  #923  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The Times wrote about William in one of its Leading Articles today. I think this extract puts forward an interesting and realistic take on yesterday's announcement

Quote:
The enduring appeal of the British monarchy is that it has understood the wisdom of Giuseppe di Lampedusa’s famous line from The Leopard: “If we want things to stay as they are, then things will have to change.” The younger royals, in particular, show every sign of understanding that the monarchy proceeds by adaptation.

After a period in which affection for the monarchy has been based either on devoted service (the Queen) or on work for charity( the Prince of Wales), the Duke of Cambridge is subtly reinventing the occupation by going back to work................

..........

The longevity of the Queen has meant that Prince Charles has been the king-in-waiting for a very long time. The Duke of Cambridge himself may well have decades in front of him before he takes the throne. It is to his credit that he wishes to do paid work and, in the process, he will slowly be transforming the idea of monarchy.

The lives of kings, queens and princes were once wholly remote from the people. In this more transparent age that is less true and the Duke of Cambridge has made a clever decision.

End
Decades!? They are really optimistic. Charles is 66 this year, not everyone reaches Queen-Mum age.
  #924  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,667
Politicans are on board as well

Prince could become an East Anglian Air ambulance pilot - News - Norwich Advertiser
Quote:
News of the talks with the service have been welcomed by leading local figures. Waveney MP Peter Aldous said: “Prince William is a very skilled helicopter pilot and anything that raises the profile of the air ambulance and the work they do is good news.”

Health minister Norman Lamb, MP for North Norfolk, said: “I would massively welcome it. It would bring enormous focus to the fantastic work of the air ambulance. It is of incredible value to our region, particularly given its rural nature and the coastline. I think this would be a brilliant thing for him to do.”

Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman said: “The EAAA is a great local medical charity. With a young family and increasingly important Royal duties, this is a great way for the prince to put his pilot training to work for the good of the community in a flexible way outside full-time military service. We would be lucky to have him.”
  #925  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Miss Hathaway's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In the South, United States
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Despite the cries from those who think William is stealing a job away from another pilot, William's involvement is quite a PR coup for this work as the article states.
  #926  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Decades!? They are really optimistic. Charles is 66 this year, not everyone reaches Queen-Mum age.
Very true and it's one of the reasons why I really don't think William will be doing this job for too long. 2 years in, the Cambridge's will have to fully dedicate themselves to the Firm. I think this job is it.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #927  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,490
The decades comment by an earlier poster was referring to William becoming King which could be decades away.

When he becomes the heir apparent is probably a much closer event. I wonder what happens when Philip passes, if the Queen starts to go downhill after that. She has been pretty healthy for the most part. I know she has some knee issues.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #928  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 6,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hathaway View Post
This is quite insightful and, I will add, I think that William disagrees with Charles's wish to streamline the working royals to Charles's immediate family and prefers that the royals be an "ensemble" with Anne, Andrew, Edward and the York girls involved.
The intended streamline effectively only meant the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and their families. When posters hail William for following a continental example, then streamline the royal family to the core royals is very continental too.

The neighbours at the other side of the sea (Netherlands) even modernized the Royal House Act to regulate that only children of a King and of a Heir are Princes (Princesses) of the Netherlands, Princes (Princesses) of Orange-Nassau. The new King of Spain went furtherer, now even siblings of a King (Infanta Doņa Margarita, Infanta Doņa Pilar, Inanta Doņa Elena, Infanta Doņa Cristina) are sidelined. In Norway even the brother of the future Crown Princess (Prince Sverre Magnus) is no longer a HRH. When King Charles starts streamlining the Royal Family, I can not see a future King William restore it back to an overcrowded balcony at Buckingham Palace...

Note that even without intervention of King Charles, the present Earl of Ulster and the present Earl of St Andrews will become "normal" Dukes instead of royal Dukes, like their fathers and grandfathers, they already are no Princes and no HRH.
  #929  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The intended streamline effectively only meant the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and their families. When posters hail William for following a continental example, then streamline the royal family to the core royals is very continental too.

The neighbours at the other side of the sea (Netherlands) even modernized the Royal House Act to regulate that only children of a King and of a Heir are Princes (Princesses) of the Netherlands, Princes (Princesses) of Orange-Nassau. The new King of Spain went furtherer, now even siblings of a King (Infanta Doņa Margarita, Infanta Doņa Pilar, Inanta Doņa Elena, Infanta Doņa Cristina) are sidelined. In Norway even the brother of the future Crown Princess (Prince Sverre Magnus) is no longer a HRH. When King Charles starts streamlining the Royal Family, I can not see a future King William restore it back to an overcrowded balcony at Buckingham Palace...

Note that even without intervention of King Charles, the present Earl of Ulster and the present Earl of St Andrews will become "normal" Dukes instead of royal Dukes, like their fathers and grandfathers, they already are no Princes and no HRH.
I think a streamlined monarchy is for the best. Right now, the working royal family is too large, IMO.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #930  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think a streamlined monarchy is for the best. Right now, the working royal family is too large, IMO.

Keep in mind though that:

  • The UK is a much bigger country in terms of population (64 million) than the Netherlands (17 million) or even Spain (46 million).
  • In addition to their regular schedule in the UK, members of the British Royal Family also occasionally have to attend events in other Commonwealth realms (Canada, Australia, NZ, Jamaica, etc.) .
I respectfully submit that the workload of the BRF is much heavier compared to its continental counterparts and a larger number of "working royals" makes sense.
  #931  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 6,067
Well, despite the size of the kingdom Prince William apparently is boring himself to death, with no royal role and decides to take away someone else's job... Turn it to the left, turn it to the right: if the Prince was not steering in that helicopter, someone else would have had that job.
  #932  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Nice Nofret's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Well, despite the size of the kingdom Prince William apparently is boring himself to death, with no royal role and decides to take away someone else's job... Turn it to the left, turn it to the right: if the Prince was not steering in that helicopter, someone else would have had that job.

mhh, yes - on that note - everybody who has money and for that doesn't have to work for a living, is 'stealing' s.o. elses job? I wonder....

On the other hand, if they do NOT work - they are called 'Parasites'.

Sounds like the perfekt catch 22 to me
  #933  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Miss Hathaway's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In the South, United States
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Well, despite the size of the kingdom Prince William apparently is boring himself to death, with no royal role and decides to take away someone else's job... Turn it to the left, turn it to the right: if the Prince was not steering in that helicopter, someone else would have had that job.

There's no other pilot who can bring the kind of publicity to this service that William can.
  #934  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 6,067
What about that agricultural management course the Duke did? Why did he not take up a role in the management of the vast properties and assets of hus future Duchy of Cornwall? Anyone would have understand it, like in any other "family business" when that path was chosen.

It seems in 2012 the Prince of Wales has employed 148,3 FTU in staffing, all funded by the revenues from the Duchy of Cornwall. He easily could have created one (unpaid) function for his son. The Reign of Queen Elizabeth II is in its last phase, let us face it. Sooner or later the present Duke of Cornwall will become the new King. His son is in his Thirties. I really do not get it that the future Duke of Cornwall is not already prepared for his future duties.
  #935  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
I wonder if Will's schedule will be "on call" or on a 3-day on and off like firemen, etc. operate. I went to the EAAA's website and he's top of the news, of course. If William had all that military training (although he was never in the first seat of a helicopter), he now needs 6 months' more training? An experienced pilot can get the "feel" of a new bird in about 2 weeks. Perhaps he is required to take medical training.

Could this mean there is trouble in Paradise...a forced (and/or disguised) marital separation? Does William feel he has to take on a dangerous job to be relevant? What's with this guy????
  #936  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,537
I've read its 5 days on 3 days off and also four days on and 3 days off. So its shift days and not "on call"
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #937  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I wonder if Will's schedule will be "on call" or on a 3-day on and off like firemen, etc. operate. I went to the EAAA's website and he's top of the news, of course. If William had all that military training (although he was never in the first seat of a helicopter), he now needs 6 months' more training? An experienced pilot can get the "feel" of a new bird in about 2 weeks. Perhaps he is required to take medical training.

Could this mean there is trouble in Paradise...a forced (and/or disguised) marital separation? Does William feel he has to take on a dangerous job to be relevant? What's with this guy????
Other royals ie then PoO W-A have performed similar services for medical teams Doctors Without Borders. They have the specialized training and can offer their services. IMO it's a good way for him to give to the nation even if it doesn't include cutting ribbons. Of course cutting ribbons can be a dangerous and relevant task too.

As for marital separation, many service members are apart for days, weeks, months at a time and manage to stay together. HM and the DoE survived their times apart during his naval career.
  #938  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,490
He will actually be home more than when he was in the RAF. With the new job, it's a 8hr shift. For SAR, it was 24 hrs and on call the next day.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #939  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
Thanks for the info.
  #940  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
mhh, yes - on that note - everybody who has money and for that doesn't have to work for a living, is 'stealing' s.o. elses job? I wonder....

On the other hand, if they do NOT work - they are called 'Parasites'.

Sounds like the perfekt catch 22 to me
Too true this theory that he us taking someone else's job is quite juvenile. If we follow that then everyone who gets a job should be criticized for taking it from someone else less fortunate.
__________________

__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit brunei royal family catherine middleton style contact form coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit eveningwear current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll fashion wedding dress game greece iran kate middleton king abdullah ii king willem-alexander member introduction mexico monarchy natural disasters new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week politics power prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary and the women deliver conference princess mary fashion princess victoria hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion september 2016 spencers state visit state visit to denmark stewart succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiaras


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises