The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I do not think this is going to end well...
Me neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Does William want to be King?

I sometimes think that Harry is more interested in Royal duties than William.
In short, no. Never has, never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I think he will be well pleased with his immediate future and that it keeps the media at bay will be an added bonus. It also allows him a further two and a half years to make a decision as to what he wants to do until his grandmother dies.
I think it will just make the media attention worse - which is what he's always been looking to avoid.

I think he will be at this post for years to come - I'm willing to bet money it will be a lot longer than 2 1/2 years.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Aristocracy

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

William and Catherine's roles and activities are approved by the Queen and POW, especially since the POW foots the bills for most their expenses.
As for the Cambridges PR, the POW's PR is responsible for them.

William will not have a defined role until he becomes POW.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Does William want to be King?

I sometimes think that Harry is more interested in Royal duties than William.
Considering that William does more royal duties than Harry, I don't see how Harry's more interested.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Me neither.

In short, no. Never has, never will.

I think it will just make the media attention worse - which is what he's always been looking to avoid.

I think he will be at this post for years to come - I'm willing to bet money it will be a lot longer than 2 1/2 years.
Geez Gracie, you leave me nothing to post!! You took words right out of my mouth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-rest-us.html
Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

We shall see how all of this will go down. As long as William and Catherine keep up a good balance of arranging their official engagements and charity engagements around his Air Ambulance job, things will be okay.

I don't see this job lasting more than 2 1/2 years. Although I do see another baby within that time.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-08-2014, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's a real shame, if he'd gone straight from Wales to Norfolk with this job I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that he had a "sham" year out doing barely anything just adds insult to injury. If they want a "normal" life the answer is simple, both William and Catherine know what they're in for if they keep avoiding it they're just not going to be successful.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's a real shame, if he'd gone straight from Wales to Norfolk with this job I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that he had a "sham" year out doing barely anything just adds insult to injury. If they want a "normal" life the answer is simple, both William and Catherine know what they're in for if they keep avoiding it they're just not going to be successful.

exactly avoiding. Avoiding what? Seems like he has no interest in his future role, I no longer have any interest in these two. I said in my post with Catherine, l will no longer take any interest in these two. Do what they want
Old 08-08-2014, 06:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

It depends on how long the old people will live/be able to do their duty.

When the DoE dies, the pressure will mount on William. When the Queen dies, 'normal life' is over anyway.

Both scenarios can happen today or tomorrow. I don't think this arrangement will last longer than 2 1/2 years.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Heir Apparent

How is William avoiding his future duties? He spent 9 years in the military including stints in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. Sounds like great prep for a future head of the armed forces. He has visited 5 different realm countries including the 3 biggest plus 2 more commonwealth countries. He did a land management course for prep for being Duke of Cornwall. He attended the Diplomatic reception, performed several investitures including 2 in Australia and NZ and represented the Queen and UK at D-Day and the start of WWI commemorations . Plus while he was being "lazy" he has done over 125 engagements since last September. Not to mention helping to take care of his son who was quite difficult for the first 5 months.

William's jobs as Duke of Cornwall and King are in the future. He cant start them early nor can he push the present job holders out of the way. So until the future becomes the now, he is going to use his skill as a pilot ( something he has based on his own hard work and merit not just because he was born) to help out people at a critical point in their lives. At the same time still doing royal duties.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Courtier

This new post for William could be extended to 5 years, if he wants it.

I think for now, they want a quiet life in the country, where they can raise their son, and a 2nd, or 3rd baby. I think once the 2 years are up, William will extend it again anyway. Both his parents were full-time royals when he was growing up, and maybe he saw how there was no time to work on mending a troubled marriage.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Hopefully people will find a bright side to look on but as things stand, William's overweening sense of entitlement leaches into every facet of his public life, as does his more frequent lapses into ennui. He wants to be "normal"? Well guess what, the majority of "normal" people of his age do not get a first gap year let alone a second "transitional" year, to procrastinate about a future that is pretty well fixed. They have to work all week, often putting in long hours to pay their mortgages, health insurance, raise their kids, pay school fee, save for their future, anything but nothing.

Ordinary couples may both work and often in jobs that no longer challenge them or that they downright hate. Those feelings are irrelevant because they get on the train Monday morning and go to work, all day, and then have the fun of walking back to the station at the end of the day to take another long trip on the train. And they will do that all year round Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. They even call it the daily grind.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
How is William avoiding his future duties? He spent 9 years in the military including stints in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. Sounds like great prep for a future head of the armed forces. He has visited 5 different realm countries including the 3 biggest plus 2 more commonwealth countries. He did a land management course for prep for being Duke of Cornwall. He attended the Diplomatic reception, performed several investitures including 2 in Australia and NZ and represented the Queen and UK at D-Day and the start of WWI commemorations . Plus while he was being "lazy" he has done over 125 engagements since last September. Not to mention helping to take care of his son who was quite difficult for the first 5 months.

William's jobs as Duke of Cornwall and King are in the future. He cant start them early nor can he push the present job holders out of the way. So until the future becomes the now, he is going to use his skill as a pilot ( something he has based on his own hard work and merit not just because he was born) to help out people at a critical point in their lives. At the same time still doing royal duties.

Exactly...thanks for posting. People are acting like he hasn't put any effort into his future role, and like he's done absolutely nothing since leaving the military.

On top of his job, he'll still be taking on his charities and representing the Queen. So he's not avoiding his future role.

William's new job will be helping the public and isn't that what the royals are supposedly all about? Isn't their purpose to serve the people? I know some would rather he take up a post somewhere, but I applaud him for putting his own life on the line and doing something that can make a difference.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I have a question: was Charles "trained" in order to be the heir? And shouldn't William prepare for Charles role? I don't know how many years it might take but I thouhgt that maybe Charles had to study some politics, economies etc... I don't know much about it so I'm wondering!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Exactly...thanks for posting. People are acting like he hasn't put any effort into his future role, and like he's done absolutely nothing since leaving the military.

On top of his job, he'll still be taking on his charities and representing the Queen. So he's not avoiding his future role.

William's new job will be helping the public and isn't that what the royals are supposedly all about? Isn't their purpose to serve the people? I know some would rather he take up a post somewhere, but I applaud him for putting his own life on the line and doing something that can make a difference.
Both excellent posts!!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I have a question: was Charles "trained" in order to be the heir? And shouldn't William prepare for Charles role? I don't know how many years it might take but I thouhgt that maybe Charles had to study some politics, economies etc... I don't know much about it so I'm wondering!
Charles went to Cambridge and then did time with the RAF and Royal Navy. He commanded his own ship before he left to help the Queen with her silver jubilee. Plus he runs a large duchy and a large charity that he built from the ground up.

The people in parliament and Downing Street run the country not the monarch. She isn't doing the country's budget or deciding what the UK is doing in Gaza.

William is being prepared for his father's current role. The course at Cambridge was the most public way but William has been attending the biannual meeting of the Duchy of Cornwall advisors and officers with his father for quite some years now. The Time magazine article on Charles last year for his 65th, describes Charles teaching William how to do an investiture while they were at Birkhall even getting a sword sent up from London for knighting practice.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it is an ill-advised move. It makes look like being royal is essentially "I have nothing to do" and while waiting for a future role the Duke starts an interim career at the Air Ambulance Service.

My advise would have been: make the royal family smaller, say thank you to the Kents and the Gloucesters and re-schedule and re-distribute the whole agenda over William, Harry, Anne, Andrew, Edward and their spouses.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think this will be the last job William will have outside of royal duties and I think he will end it to fully help his aging grandparents afterwards.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Charles went to Cambridge and then did time with the RAF and Royal Navy. He commanded his own ship before he left to help the Queen with her silver jubilee. Plus he runs a large duchy and a large charity that he built from the ground up.

The people in parliament and Downing Street run the country not the monarch. She isn't doing the country's budget or deciding what the UK is doing in Gaza.

William is being prepared for his father's current role. The course at Cambridge was the most public way but William has been attending the biannual meeting of the Duchy of Cornwall advisors and officers with his father for quite some years now. The Time magazine article on Charles last year for his 65th, describes Charles teaching William how to do an investiture while they were at Birkhall even getting a sword sent up from London for knighting practice.

Thank you!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

The Times wrote about William in one of its Leading Articles today. I think this extract puts forward an interesting and realistic take on yesterday's announcement

Quote:
The enduring appeal of the British monarchy is that it has understood the wisdom of Giuseppe di Lampedusa’s famous line from The Leopard: “If we want things to stay as they are, then things will have to change.” The younger royals, in particular, show every sign of understanding that the monarchy proceeds by adaptation.

After a period in which affection for the monarchy has been based either on devoted service (the Queen) or on work for charity( the Prince of Wales), the Duke of Cambridge is subtly reinventing the occupation by going back to work................

The longevity of the Queen has meant that Prince Charles has been the king-in-waiting for a very long time. The Duke of Cambridge himself may well have decades in front of him before he takes the throne. It is to his credit that he wishes to do paid work and, in the process, he will slowly be transforming the idea of monarchy.

The lives of kings, queens and princes were once wholly remote from the people. In this more transparent age that is less true and the Duke of Cambridge has made a clever decision.

End

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you cepe

Closed Thread