The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #901  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 AM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I do not think this is going to end well...
Me neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Does William want to be King?

I sometimes think that Harry is more interested in Royal duties than William.
In short, no. Never has, never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I think he will be well pleased with his immediate future and that it keeps the media at bay will be an added bonus. It also allows him a further two and a half years to make a decision as to what he wants to do until his grandmother dies.
I think it will just make the media attention worse - which is what he's always been looking to avoid.

I think he will be at this post for years to come - I'm willing to bet money it will be a lot longer than 2 1/2 years.
__________________

__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #902  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 185
The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

William and Catherine's roles and activities are approved by the Queen and POW, especially since the POW foots the bills for most their expenses.
As for the Cambridges PR, the POW's PR is responsible for them.

William will not have a defined role until he becomes POW.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
__________________

  #903  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Does William want to be King?

I sometimes think that Harry is more interested in Royal duties than William.
Considering that William does more royal duties than Harry, I don't see how Harry's more interested.
  #904  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 AM
AfricanAUSSIE's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Me neither.

In short, no. Never has, never will.

I think it will just make the media attention worse - which is what he's always been looking to avoid.

I think he will be at this post for years to come - I'm willing to bet money it will be a lot longer than 2 1/2 years.
Geez Gracie, you leave me nothing to post!! You took words right out of my mouth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-rest-us.html
  #905  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,452
We shall see how all of this will go down. As long as William and Catherine keep up a good balance of arranging their official engagements and charity engagements around his Air Ambulance job, things will be okay.

I don't see this job lasting more than 2 1/2 years. Although I do see another baby within that time.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #906  
Old 08-08-2014, 04:58 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
It's a real shame, if he'd gone straight from Wales to Norfolk with this job I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that he had a "sham" year out doing barely anything just adds insult to injury. If they want a "normal" life the answer is simple, both William and Catherine know what they're in for if they keep avoiding it they're just not going to be successful.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #907  
Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's a real shame, if he'd gone straight from Wales to Norfolk with this job I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that he had a "sham" year out doing barely anything just adds insult to injury. If they want a "normal" life the answer is simple, both William and Catherine know what they're in for if they keep avoiding it they're just not going to be successful.

exactly avoiding. Avoiding what? Seems like he has no interest in his future role, I no longer have any interest in these two. I said in my post with Catherine, l will no longer take any interest in these two. Do what they want
  #908  
Old 08-08-2014, 06:14 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think it will just make the media attention worse - which is what he's always been looking to avoid.

I think he will be at this post for years to come - I'm willing to bet money it will be a lot longer than 2 1/2 years.
It depends on how long the old people will live/be able to do their duty.

When the DoE dies, the pressure will mount on William. When the Queen dies, 'normal life' is over anyway.

Both scenarios can happen today or tomorrow. I don't think this arrangement will last longer than 2 1/2 years.
  #909  
Old 08-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,345
How is William avoiding his future duties? He spent 9 years in the military including stints in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. Sounds like great prep for a future head of the armed forces. He has visited 5 different realm countries including the 3 biggest plus 2 more commonwealth countries. He did a land management course for prep for being Duke of Cornwall. He attended the Diplomatic reception, performed several investitures including 2 in Australia and NZ and represented the Queen and UK at D-Day and the start of WWI commemorations . Plus while he was being "lazy" he has done over 125 engagements since last September. Not to mention helping to take care of his son who was quite difficult for the first 5 months.

William's jobs as Duke of Cornwall and King are in the future. He cant start them early nor can he push the present job holders out of the way. So until the future becomes the now, he is going to use his skill as a pilot ( something he has based on his own hard work and merit not just because he was born) to help out people at a critical point in their lives. At the same time still doing royal duties.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #910  
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LONDON, United Kingdom
Posts: 858
This new post for William could be extended to 5 years, if he wants it.

I think for now, they want a quiet life in the country, where they can raise their son, and a 2nd, or 3rd baby. I think once the 2 years are up, William will extend it again anyway. Both his parents were full-time royals when he was growing up, and maybe he saw how there was no time to work on mending a troubled marriage.
  #911  
Old 08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's a real shame, if he'd gone straight from Wales to Norfolk with this job I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that he had a "sham" year out doing barely anything just adds insult to injury. If they want a "normal" life the answer is simple, both William and Catherine know what they're in for if they keep avoiding it they're just not going to be successful.
Hopefully people will find a bright side to look on but as things stand, William's overweening sense of entitlement leaches into every facet of his public life, as does his more frequent lapses into ennui. He wants to be "normal"? Well guess what, the majority of "normal" people of his age do not get a first gap year let alone a second "transitional" year, to procrastinate about a future that is pretty well fixed. They have to work all week, often putting in long hours to pay their mortgages, health insurance, raise their kids, pay school fee, save for their future, anything but nothing.

Ordinary couples may both work and often in jobs that no longer challenge them or that they downright hate. Those feelings are irrelevant because they get on the train Monday morning and go to work, all day, and then have the fun of walking back to the station at the end of the day to take another long trip on the train. And they will do that all year round Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. They even call it the daily grind.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #912  
Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
How is William avoiding his future duties? He spent 9 years in the military including stints in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. Sounds like great prep for a future head of the armed forces. He has visited 5 different realm countries including the 3 biggest plus 2 more commonwealth countries. He did a land management course for prep for being Duke of Cornwall. He attended the Diplomatic reception, performed several investitures including 2 in Australia and NZ and represented the Queen and UK at D-Day and the start of WWI commemorations . Plus while he was being "lazy" he has done over 125 engagements since last September. Not to mention helping to take care of his son who was quite difficult for the first 5 months.

William's jobs as Duke of Cornwall and King are in the future. He cant start them early nor can he push the present job holders out of the way. So until the future becomes the now, he is going to use his skill as a pilot ( something he has based on his own hard work and merit not just because he was born) to help out people at a critical point in their lives. At the same time still doing royal duties.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Exactly...thanks for posting. People are acting like he hasn't put any effort into his future role, and like he's done absolutely nothing since leaving the military.

On top of his job, he'll still be taking on his charities and representing the Queen. So he's not avoiding his future role.

William's new job will be helping the public and isn't that what the royals are supposedly all about? Isn't their purpose to serve the people? I know some would rather he take up a post somewhere, but I applaud him for putting his own life on the line and doing something that can make a difference.
  #913  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,692
I have a question: was Charles "trained" in order to be the heir? And shouldn't William prepare for Charles role? I don't know how many years it might take but I thouhgt that maybe Charles had to study some politics, economies etc... I don't know much about it so I'm wondering!
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
  #914  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
How is William avoiding his future duties? He spent 9 years in the military including stints in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. Sounds like great prep for a future head of the armed forces. He has visited 5 different realm countries including the 3 biggest plus 2 more commonwealth countries. He did a land management course for prep for being Duke of Cornwall. He attended the Diplomatic reception, performed several investitures including 2 in Australia and NZ and represented the Queen and UK at D-Day and the start of WWI commemorations . Plus while he was being "lazy" he has done over 125 engagements since last September. Not to mention helping to take care of his son who was quite difficult for the first 5 months.

William's jobs as Duke of Cornwall and King are in the future. He cant start them early nor can he push the present job holders out of the way. So until the future becomes the now, he is going to use his skill as a pilot ( something he has based on his own hard work and merit not just because he was born) to help out people at a critical point in their lives. At the same time still doing royal duties.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Exactly...thanks for posting. People are acting like he hasn't put any effort into his future role, and like he's done absolutely nothing since leaving the military.

On top of his job, he'll still be taking on his charities and representing the Queen. So he's not avoiding his future role.

William's new job will be helping the public and isn't that what the royals are supposedly all about? Isn't their purpose to serve the people? I know some would rather he take up a post somewhere, but I applaud him for putting his own life on the line and doing something that can make a difference.
Both excellent posts!!
  #915  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,345
The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I have a question: was Charles "trained" in order to be the heir? And shouldn't William prepare for Charles role? I don't know how many years it might take but I thouhgt that maybe Charles had to study some politics, economies etc... I don't know much about it so I'm wondering!
Charles went to Cambridge and then did time with the RAF and Royal Navy. He commanded his own ship before he left to help the Queen with her silver jubilee. Plus he runs a large duchy and a large charity that he built from the ground up.

The people in parliament and Downing Street run the country not the monarch. She isn't doing the country's budget or deciding what the UK is doing in Gaza.

William is being prepared for his father's current role. The course at Cambridge was the most public way but William has been attending the biannual meeting of the Duchy of Cornwall advisors and officers with his father for quite some years now. The Time magazine article on Charles last year for his 65th, describes Charles teaching William how to do an investiture while they were at Birkhall even getting a sword sent up from London for knighting practice.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #916  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,925
I think it is an ill-advised move. It makes look like being royal is essentially "I have nothing to do" and while waiting for a future role the Duke starts an interim career at the Air Ambulance Service.

My advise would have been: make the royal family smaller, say thank you to the Kents and the Gloucesters and re-schedule and re-distribute the whole agenda over William, Harry, Anne, Andrew, Edward and their spouses.
  #917  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's a real shame, if he'd gone straight from Wales to Norfolk with this job I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that he had a "sham" year out doing barely anything just adds insult to injury. If they want a "normal" life the answer is simple, both William and Catherine know what they're in for if they keep avoiding it they're just not going to be successful.
I think this will be the last job William will have outside of royal duties and I think he will end it to fully help his aging grandparents afterwards.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #918  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Charles went to Cambridge and then did time with the RAF and Royal Navy. He commanded his own ship before he left to help the Queen with her silver jubilee. Plus he runs a large duchy and a large charity that he built from the ground up.

The people in parliament and Downing Street run the country not the monarch. She isn't doing the country's budget or deciding what the UK is doing in Gaza.

William is being prepared for his father's current role. The course at Cambridge was the most public way but William has been attending the biannual meeting of the Duchy of Cornwall advisors and officers with his father for quite some years now. The Time magazine article on Charles last year for his 65th, describes Charles teaching William how to do an investiture while they were at Birkhall even getting a sword sent up from London for knighting practice.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Thank you!
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
  #919  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 AM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,402
The Times wrote about William in one of its Leading Articles today. I think this extract puts forward an interesting and realistic take on yesterday's announcement

Quote:
The enduring appeal of the British monarchy is that it has understood the wisdom of Giuseppe di Lampedusa’s famous line from The Leopard: “If we want things to stay as they are, then things will have to change.” The younger royals, in particular, show every sign of understanding that the monarchy proceeds by adaptation.

After a period in which affection for the monarchy has been based either on devoted service (the Queen) or on work for charity( the Prince of Wales), the Duke of Cambridge is subtly reinventing the occupation by going back to work................

..........

The longevity of the Queen has meant that Prince Charles has been the king-in-waiting for a very long time. The Duke of Cambridge himself may well have decades in front of him before he takes the throne. It is to his credit that he wishes to do paid work and, in the process, he will slowly be transforming the idea of monarchy.

The lives of kings, queens and princes were once wholly remote from the people. In this more transparent age that is less true and the Duke of Cambridge has made a clever decision.

End
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #920  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,405
Thank you cepe
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail farah diba fashion and style fashion poll grand duke jean greece infanta elena jewels kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week power prince bernhard prince charles princess charlotte of cambridge princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima cocktail dresses queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises