Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I'm seeing is same excuses made over and over again for William.

Can I ask what excuses? Who has made them? Has it ever been said by a credible source such as BP, CH, KP or any source that would actually have the information that it is William, himself, that doesn't want to work full time for the Firm and hence, excuses must be made?

I still stand by the opinion that the Cambridges are not working as full time royals because a) there isn't a need for them to be, b) because the Queen doesn't think now is the time for them to go full time and c) the funds just aren't there to provide for two more full time royals.

Yes, in May 2012, William during the Katie Couric interview said "I really enjoy my time in the Air Force, and I’d love to continue it, but the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”

I am increasingly of the opinion that William and Kate won't step up as full-time royals until Charles is the King, or Regent, and William thus the heir apparent, or as good as.

I suspect that that is the opinion of the Way Ahead Group.

That could mean another 10 - 15 years before William and Kate have to take on the sort of role that Charles and Camilla currently do. They will be in their mid-late 40s by then of course.

Harry, will be even longer - not until he has left the army - and he has indicated that will be at the end of a full career - so in another 25 - 30 years.

I do not believe W&K and Harry too, especially when he gets married, will not be put to work until in their forties.

It would IMO be foolish not to use them when they are in their thirties.
W&K and Harry appeal to the young, they have the glamour factor and they have the positive association with Diana. They are a PR-man's wet dream.
Right now the BRF can afford the luxury of allowing W&K to find their footing, build up a work-routine and first and foremost have their children and being with their children for the first crucial years.

But in five years time I believe W&K will be out and about working as full time royals and they ought to be.
That applies for Harry as well. He will have to work half-time as a military officer, because he is simply too good with people to have him take too much of a backseat.

I'm thinking it will be two and a half years before the Cambridge's become full-time royals. I just think they will go on to help The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh very soon.

I agree with Iluvbertie's submission that William and Kate won't become full time Royals until the Queen dies/loses her faculties and Charles becomes King/Regent. William is unique in that he is now an early-middle-aged heir to the late-middle-aged heir. William's equals in status in the other Royal Houses are little children. He is only in this situation because his grandmother married young and bore children young and became monarch so young and vowed to reign for life and has lived so long. IMO he is ill-prepared to step into the heir's shoes at a moment's notice. He could become heir and then monarch all within a very short space of time considering how quickly medical conditions such as strokes can afflict ostensibly healthy and fit people, but he doesn't seem well prepared for that eventuality, and his wife most certainly doesn't.

A couple of posters have mentioned The Way Ahead Group. According to Robert Hardman in his book "Our Queen" (published 2011' pg 273), this has been discontinued.

IMO he is ill-prepared to step into the heir's shoes at a moment's notice. He could become heir and then monarch all within a very short space of time considering how quickly medical conditions such as strokes can afflict ostensibly healthy and fit people, but he doesn't seem well prepared for that eventuality, and his wife most certainly doesn't.

I agree 100% and William's statement says it all:

And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.” It screams RELUCTANCY all over.

I have a feeling that those who decide who goes full time and who doesn't are perfectly fine with the Cambridges being in the background for the present (and possibly the foreseeable future). There's nothing wrong with that. Her Majesty, and her advisors know better than we do when it comes to what works and what doesn't. And if William is indeed reluctant, and is being catered to, then again, there must be a good reason for that as well. In any case, is it really our problem? I don't think so. I certainly wish that I had a family who supported my choices the way William's family supports his. He has the chance to be with his wife and children, and have a career (albeit a temporary one) that he enjoys. It doesn't fit with the agenda others seem to have for him, but that doesn't trouble anyone who remotely matters in such situations, such as the Queen, who is the head of the Firm. We also need to keep in mind that when one is reluctant to do something, and is pushed, the results may not be satisfactory either. Over the course of the years that I've been on this forum, I've read comments about William looking like he'd rather be anywhere else when he's doing royal duties. Personally, I don't see that, but if it is indeed true, won't it be better to just let him be for a while? Certainly would beat having a bunch of papers write article about a 'surly Duke'.

I agree... it is the Queen who decides...

We are all told that the Queen decides... and perhaps she has decided it is just best to give in to William.

I'll do ILuvBertie one better; even when Charles is King/Regent, we still won't see Will and Kate working full time for the firm. And when Will is King, he'll try and cut as much of those public appearances out as possible.

when Will is King, he'll try and cut as much of those public appearances out as possible.

I really think that is unlikely.. His Grandmother, and Father will have imbued in him a sense of duty that will enable him to see the risks [both to himself, his dynasty and his country] of such a selfish strategy..

I agree 100% and William's statement says it all:

And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.” It screams RELUCTANCY all over.

Considering the time frame of when he made this statement, I would be more likely to credit it to frustration rather than being reluctant. The interview was in May 2012 and along with his duties with SAR, it was the year of the Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics. He must have felt he was being bombarded from all angles with requests for him to attend this and promote that while still working full time with SAR. I can remember times that year when he would get off duty in Wales and head directly to London for some kind of engagement.

2012 was an exceptionally busy year for the BRF. I think they were all a bit harried when it was finally over and they could breathe.

I really think that is unlikely.. His Grandmother, and Father will have imbued in him a sense of duty that will enable him to see the risks [both to himself, his dynasty and his country] of such a selfish strategy..

I agree. I find it hard to understand why people are so anxious and angry about how the BRF manages its personnel. And it certainly wouldn't be good for Charles and Camilla to have William and Catherine out and about too much. I'm sure that C&C are not remotely jealous of the younger couple, but now is the time for C&C to have attention focused on them so that they can be 'beloved' when they/he take the throne.

Considering the time frame of when he made this statement, I would be more likely to credit it to frustration rather than being reluctant. The interview was in May 2012 and along with his duties with SAR, it was the year of the Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics. He must have felt he was being bombarded from all angles with requests for him to attend this and promote that while still working full time with SAR. I can remember times that year when he would get off duty in Wales and head directly to London for some kind of engagement.

2012 was an exceptionally busy year for the BRF. I think they were all a bit harried when it was finally over and they could breathe.

Also don't forget that at beginning of 2012 he was in the Falklands for the beginning of the year. The year before he asked to go to NZ after the Christchurch earthquake to represent the Queen weeks before the wedding and he had to go back to the RAF as soon he got back.

The Queen missed out on the early years of Charles and Anne. Charles left the Navy for the Silver Jubilee and was a busy PoW for his kids early years. Maybe both the Queen and Charles, are giving William the opportunity to enjoy his kids before the royal life becomes his job until he dies?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

We are all told that the Queen decides... and perhaps she has decided it is just best to give in to William.

I'll do ILuvBertie one better; even when Charles is King/Regent, we still won't see Will and Kate working full time for the firm. And when Will is King, he'll try and cut as much of those public appearances out as possible.

I think this is just a tad harsh. No one knows what kind of man William will be when he becomes the Heir Apparent. Let's be honest; what we think about certain things in our 30s may very well be very different from what we think when we reach our 40s and 50s. However, I highly doubt that William will shirk his duties once his father becomes king, or once he himself is on the throne. He was taught to understand what his life entails, and if he chooses to disregard it after he's crowned, he'll be throwing away a rather revered institution. Underneath it all, I think William has deep respect for his station in life. He just wants to make sure he lives it on his terms, which is fine, at least for now.

I think this is just a tad harsh. No one knows what kind of man William will be when he becomes the Heir Apparent. Let's be honest; what we think about certain things in our 30s may very well be very different from what we think when we reach our 40s and 50s. However, I highly doubt that William will shirk his duties once his father becomes king, or once he himself is on the throne. He was taught to understand what his life entails, and if he chooses to disregard it after he's crowned, he'll be throwing away a rather revered institution. Underneath it all, I think William has deep respect for his station in life. He just wants to make sure he lives it on his terms, which is fine, at least for now.

I think it's important to remember he is also his mother's son; it's not just his paternal grandparents and father who have influenced his life and attitudes.

It isn't just 'his terms' on which he has to live his life once he is King but also on the terms of the people over whom he will be King. If he doesn't meet their standards and satisfy them he will lose it all.

The Queen missed out on the early years of Charles and Anne.

She chose to miss a large part of Charles' early years by leaving him in London while she went to Malta or elsewhere e.g. she returned from Malta and went straight to Sandringham one time - where was her son - in London. Most mothers wouldn't have left their child in the first place but would have insisted that he went with her to spend time with both parents in Malta but not The Queen - left him in the UK. Then when returning after a couple of months of not seeing her son rather than go and see him left him for a few more days before he was taken to her at Sandringham.

I am not talking about after she became Queen but beforehand.

I think it's important to remember he is also his mother's son; it's not just his paternal grandparents and father who have influenced his life and attitudes.

You're absolutely correct; from his mother he learned how to be a kind, and compassionate human being, who cares about others, and wants to help as much as possible. I'm sure he also saw that his mother had flaws, and learned from those as well. Now, what does his mother's influence have to do with him putting on hold becoming a full-time royal? Perhaps he remembers how stressful it was for his mother during her early years? I bet that influenced him to take step back from his public life, and concentrate on raising a family, and oh yeah, following his heart, and doing some good. Yes, I can see how that kind of influence can be a problem.

You're absolutely correct; from his mother he learned how to be a kind, and compassionate human being, who cares about others, and wants to help as much as possible. I'm sure he also saw that his mother had flaws, and learned from those as well. Now, what does his mother's influence have to do with him putting on hold becoming a full-time royal? Perhaps he remembers how stressful it was for his mother during her early years? I bet that influenced him to take step back from his public life, and concentrate on raising a family, and oh yeah, following his heart, and doing some good. Yes, I can see how that kind of influence can be a problem.

Those were not the characteristics that I had in mind. I was thinking more of her sense of self-importance and her determination to do things her way, regardless of whether or not her way was a good or smart way. And his mother's influence is just as relevant as the influence of his father and paternal grandmother.

Last edited:
Those were not the characteristics that I had in mind. I was thinking more of her sense of self-importance and her determination to do things her way, regardless of whether or not her way was a good or smart way. And his mother's influence is just as relevant as the influence of his father and paternal grandmother.

From watching William's life closely since I joined TRF, one thing I'd never describe William as is having is a sense of self importance. I would say that, from what I've seen, he strives to be just another guy in the crowd and doesn't put emphasis on his stature in life in social situations. He has his likes and dislikes and, at times, can be quite stubborn about something once his mind is made up but to me, that's an asset and leans more towards a leadership role than being unsure of himself.

We all learn from those closest to us and the characteristics we inherit can be used both in positive and negative ways and that is by experience and growth.

Both of William and Harry's parents had somewhat damaged childhoods. And then history repeated itself, and William and Harry had damaged childhoods.

A man who will someday have to be in a position to ignore, neglect, or disappoint his own children- in favor of royal duty- should certainly be allowed to establish his family as securely as he can before his position prevents it.

His father and his grandparents are doing the right thing by allowing and encouraging William to have some "real" life.

Who is this hurting?

From watching William's life closely since I joined TRF, one thing I'd never describe William as is having is a sense of self importance. I would say that, from what I've seen, he strives to be just another guy in the crowd and doesn't put emphasis on his stature in life in social situations. He has his likes and dislikes and, at times, can be quite stubborn about something once his mind is made up but to me, that's an asset and leans more towards a leadership role than being unsure of himself.

We all learn from those closest to us and the characteristics we inherit can be used both in positive and negative ways and that is by experience and growth.

Based on my observations of William, I have formed a different opinion, but it is not my wish to launch into a totally off-topic debate about his personal qualities. I raised Diana because I wanted to point out that it is not just his father and paternal grandmother who have influenced him. The woman who thought the "Panorama" interview was a good idea at the time also had a huge influence on him for the first 15 years of his life. He has learned from and been influenced by both parents and their families, and I don't think it is safe to make any assumptions about the extent of his sense of duty and how he intends to approach his Royal duties.

Based on my observations of William, I have formed a different opinion, but it is not my wish to launch into a totally off-topic debate about his personal qualities. I raised Diana because I wanted to point out that it is not just his father and paternal grandmother who have influenced him. The woman who thought the "Panorama" interview was a good idea at the time also had a huge influence on him for the first 15 years of his life. He has learned from and been influenced by both parents and their families, and I don't think it is safe to make any assumptions about the extent of his sense of duty and how he intends to approach his Royal duties.

Oh I definitely agree with you on the point that Diana had just as much influence as anyone else William grew up with. If I had to think of a characteristic that would fit Diana, it would be impetuous. I think Harry's got that. :D

We don't know William personally or interact with him so its not surprising that different people see different things in him. All we can do is sit back, drink a cup of tea and watch what happens next.

Oh I definitely agree with you on the point that Diana had just as much influence as anyone else William grew up with. If I had to think of a characteristic that would fit Diana, it would be impetuous. I think Harry's got that. :D

We don't know William personally or interact with him so its not surprising that different people see different things in him. All we can do is sit back, drink a cup of tea and watch what happens next.

Precisely! :flowers:

OK, I can see what you're saying. I don't happen to agree, but I'm glad that you clarified what you had in mind. Now, I will say that so far, William hasn't repeated his mother's mistakes. He's very careful when he's talking to the press, and I doubt he'd go and air his dirty laundry without any regard for his immediate and extended family. Being stubborn is not always a bad thing. William knows what he wants, and doesn't want to settle for anything less. And why should he? I think anyone in his position would not want to be restricted while having an opportunity to just live, and have a career of choice. I bet that many people on this forum if put in his position would probably do the same thing.

You're absolutely correct. I don't see William as someone who thinks he's better than others. He certainly realizes how lucky he is, but he doesn't use that knowledge to make others feel inferior. He tries to get on equal footing when interacting with those that he meets. The best example is the fact that he doesn't encourage people to use his title. He wants to be known as 'William'. More than likely, it would mean more to him if people recognized what he does, rather than what he is due to his birth. Also, this is a man who is very self-aware, and that shows in how he carries himself. I know that some will interpret that as being 'pompous', but like you, I see that as being a good leader. He needs good leadership skills for his future role, and I think he's definitely gaining those. He carried out a few investitures. There's no mistaking that he's a king-in-training. He looks like he's been doing that all his life.

This is very true as well. All we can do is make inferences based on what we see and read. I will also agree on the fact that William is anything but impetuous or impulsive. In fact, he strikes me as someone who is overly cautious, and wants to make sure that he's making the right choice before taking any action. I'm sure he learned that from watching his mother act on instinct or emotion.

Yes, exactly. I've been singing this song on here for months now.:flowers:

A man who will someday have to be in a position to ignore, neglect, or disappoint his own children- in favor of royal duty- should certainly be allowed to establish his family as securely as he can before his position prevents it.

His father and his grandparents are doing the right thing by allowing and encouraging William to have some "real" life.

Yes, exactly. I've been singing this song on here for months now.:flowers:

I have a feeling that some will choose to ignore whatever doesn't coincide with what they think the agenda for this man should be.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom