The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Majesty

The funny thing is that, in relation to William's future plans, there is absolutely no "real" news in the public domain, just speculation, and debate on the speculation!

He certainly appears to have stepped up the number of public engagements he is carrying out. Might this indicate that he increasing his focus on his royal role and ramping up the work he is doing, or could these have been engagements planned a while ago?

We have absolutely no idea as to whether he genuinely proposes to spend the majority of his time flying, or this is just something certain sections of the press have decided to run with, irrespective of whether it is true or not. Personally, I would find it odd if he did spent a material amount of time flying now, as to me, the retirement from the SARS role was all about transitioning to a more royal role.

There seems to be a level of resentment in certain sections of the media of the Cambridge couple acquiring Anmer. To me this is completely unjustified, as it belongs to his grandmother and he is perfectly entitled to having it.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Yes, Anne does a lot of engagements (she did 560 in 2012 and 454 in 2013) , but I'm pretty sure she didn't start out doing that many. I imagine it was a gradual thing.

It's strange that William is called lazy and workshy. It's like people forget that he had a full-time job for years. I just don't see how one year invalidates his many years of service.

So far this year, he's done 91 engagements (Kate 66 and Harry 55). People may think he's not doing enough, but right now his numbers are not that far off from Camilla's (who's done 141).

I'm curious to know what type of numbers people think the Cambridge's should do. Should they replicate the numbers Charles put up? Do 300 or so like Andrew and Edward, or are the 200's that Camilla and Sophie do okay?
Good post!!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

What?!?! He's 50 behind Camilla! Wonder how long it will take him to catch up with the 67 year old Camilla. He's looking like a real lightweight.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
What?!?! He's 50 behind Camilla! Wonder how long it will take him to catch up with the 67 year old Camilla. He's looking like a real lightweight.
Only if she stops, and she isnt.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This will happen if and when HM and the "Firm" deem this statement to be true. It really isn't solely up to William to decide. I have yet to see any indication from BP, CH or KP that being a full time working royal is even in the cards at all yet.
I have seen evidence that there's a need for the Cambridge's to do more and be more involved within the "Firm."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I have seen evidence that there's a need for the Cambridge's to do more and be more involved within the "Firm."
What evidence have you seen?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Only if she stops, and she isnt.
Cams has been married to Charles for 10 years and will be the next "princess consort" (her words not mine) and to date she has done about 150 engagements?

This puts her in like what, 8th place overall

She must be the most irrelevant Princess of Wales in history.

If C&C were as popular as they should be there would be no need for the BRF to have to put the grandchildren front and centre....
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
What evidence have you seen?
I've seen William & Catherine starting to take part in State Events like attending the Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps at Buckingham Palace, William has taken on role of carrying out Investitures on behalf of The Queen. William representing The Queen during the South Korean State Visit late last year and he and Catherine may start attending the actual State Banquets. Their official oversea tours are longer and Catherine is about to embark on her first solo trip to Malta on The Queen's behalf.

The Cambridge's are allowed to do more now because they are no longer held up by a full-time military life. They could have hired a new part-time nanny for Prince George but they've now hired a full-time nanny, they have an Equerry and they've moved their official court from St. James's Palace to Kensington Palace. They have setup their life and court to be able to take on more duties.

It makes no sense whatsoever to now retreat and take on a full-time job that would cause them decrease their official duties, charitable ventures and participation in royal events. William himself have expressed that his full-time job was causing him to neglect his royal life and it wasn't easy to balance things out properly.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Someone made a comparison between 67 yr old Camilla and 32 yr old William. Her annual figures are around 250 a yr. William did 62 in 2013 but he was f/t SAR pilot up to September. This yr he has done 95 so far.

its comparing apples and oranges

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

What does age have to do with anything? How many engagements did the Queen do at 67?

People go on about William as if there is some sort of precedent for someone in his position but there isn't.

There is a major precedent for the role of Princess of Wales.

Between members of "team Harry" and "team Camilla" William can seem to catch a break
Old 07-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Courtier

The Royal Forums 1900:

Oh that George is so lazy when will become a full time royal?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The reason I mentioned Camilla, is because someone compared Anne to William and stated that as 11th in line, she does more than him. I just thought it was relevant to point out that the heir's wife also does less than Anne. In fact, Camilla does less than all the other senior members - annually she does around 250 or so.

I have nothing against Camilla, I think she's doing an excellent job and will make a great Queen consort. It just confuses me when the Cambridge's are called out for being lazy and not pulling their weight. I mean, if William's numbers are "embarrassingly low", than shouldn't the same apply to Camilla?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
The Royal Forums 1900:

And that Princess May has only knitted 36 pairs of socks at this point in the year. Trust me this will be the end of the monarchy if this lazy pair ever become king and queen.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
The reason I mentioned Camilla's number is because someone compared Anne to William and stated that as 11th in line, she does more than him. I just thought it was relevant to point out that Camilla also does less than Anne. In fact, she does less than all the other senior members.

I have nothing against Camilla, I think she's doing an excellent job and will make a great Queen consort. It just confuses me when the Cambridge's are called out for being lazy and not pulling their weight. I mean, if William's numbers are "embarrassingly low", than shouldn't the same apply to Camilla?
Agree with everything!!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
The Royal Forums 1900:

LOL!!!! Good one!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Courtier

Well, everyone agrees that the Royals who work the most - The Prince of Wales and The Princess Royal - have had decades to build the robust schedule they have, so I think it's fair to give time for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to build up their number of engagements.

The same goes for The Duchess of Cornwall, who has been a senior Royal for only nine years, and her main role is to support her husband. And I pretty much doubt she's the most irrelevant Princess of Wales in History. The previous one kept her charities only to live in a Palace without paying rent.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Well, everyone agrees that the Royals who work the most - The Prince of Wales and The Princess Royal - have had decades to build the robust schedule they have, so I think it's fair to give time for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to build up their number of engagements.

The same goes for The Duchess of Cornwall, who has been a senior Royal for only nine years, and her main role is to support her husband. And I pretty much doubt she's the most irrelevant Princess of Wales in History. The previous one kept her charities only to live in a Palace without paying rent.
The previous Princess of Wales did not carry on official duties to live rent free. She decided to focus on a select few because she couldn't devote a great deal of time on the great amount of patronages she had.

It took years for Charles and Anne to gain the amount of work they do and a great deal of responsibility was handed down to them as well. They took on more roles when they Queen Mother gave them some of her roles and when she and Princess Margaret died, they took on more to pick up where they left off.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The previous Princess of Wales did not carry on official duties to live rent free. She decided to focus on a select few because she couldn't devote a great deal of time on the great amount of patronages she had.
Well, I do think quality is better than quantity, so I see no reason to call the present Princess of Wales - or whatever title she uses - irrelevant.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Well, I do think quality is better than quantity, so I see no reason to call the present Princess of Wales - or whatever title she uses - irrelevant.
I never called Camilla irrelevant. She's very much relevant as she's the second lady of the land and the future Princess Consort/Queen.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I never called Camilla irrelevant. She's very much relevant as she's the second lady of the land and the future Princess Consort/Queen.
And I wasn't talking about you.

Closed Thread