The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

William does more royal duties than needed to live at KP.

90 engagements and counting this year

Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Do Will and Kate pay commercial rent on KP?
No - because they do do royal duties on occasions and the intention is that they will only increase the number that they do in the years ahead.

Diana's situation was that she was going to stop all engagements but then expected a rent-free home - which once pointed out to her wasn't on, even though she had William and Harry living there for a few weeks each year by then (remember they were at boarding school for 40 weeks or so a year and then spent 6 weeks with Charles - not at KP at all and 6 weeks with Diana often on overseas holidays so probably were spending about 2 - 3 weeks a year with her there), she returned to doing some engagements to allow her to have the rent-free apartment.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Majesty

I think it's time Papa has a word with his eldest. Rightly or wrongly he is being perceived as workshy with an overwhelming sense of "entitlement" that is doing his image no good at all.

Perhaps the royal spin doctors need to get ahead of the game for a change.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the idea is for them to continue increasing their official duties and not decrease them. They are able to do more now than ever before. Their official tours are longer, they can attend the Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps and it seems like they will start participating in State Visits (fingers are crossed for that). They should keep this up and not try to retreat from it.

There's nothing wrong with William having a side job but I don't think it should get in the way of what they really suppose to be doing. It was hard to balance this stuff before.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
If Catherine was to carry the same number of engagements as Princess Anne, the media would be complaining what a horrible mother she was.
Much of this is being promoted by the media who want 24/7 access to the Duke and Duchess to sell their papers and magazines.

If the Queen or Prince Charles feel that either should be doing more, they will let them know.
The Cambridge's have gotten the nod for them to do more. William is now carrying out Investitures, they are now conducting more official oversea visits, they are attending State Events like the Reception for the Diplomatic Corps and Catherine may be embarking on her first official solo trip and she attending Royal Garden Parties. Charles is passing down some of his work. There is a need for them to do more.

Doing more doesn't mean taking on the same workload of Princess Anne. The amount of work she do is something that took years to build and a great deal of responsibility handed down to her.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No - because they do do royal duties on occasions and the intention is that they will only increase the number that they do in the years ahead.

Diana's situation was that she was going to stop all engagements but then expected a rent-free home - which once pointed out to her wasn't on, even though she had William and Harry living there for a few weeks each year by then (remember they were at boarding school for 40 weeks or so a year and then spent 6 weeks with Charles - not at KP at all and 6 weeks with Diana often on overseas holidays so probably were spending about 2 - 3 weeks a year with her there), she returned to doing some engagements to allow her to have the rent-free apartment.
Thank you for the information IluvBertie. I hadn't realized all that was involved in Diana remaining at KP
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

George has been left overnight post Australia- when they went to Strathearn area of Scotland. W&K came up the day before and stayed at Glen Eagle. The nanny is there to take care of George when the Cambridges are working which can be during the day or at night. Central London is very expensive to live there. So she would have to live several hours away from KP and commute in and out.

What happens when baby 2 eventually comes, is it going to share with a toddler George since Nott Cottage is 2 bedrooms? Apt 1A would have to get redone eventually for either the Cambridges or Prince Harry. Plus the Cambridges don't actually own the Balmoral cottage or Amner Hall. The Queen has just given the use of both places.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Hey, maybe Will gets a separate space everywhere because he's really insufferable.

P.S. That's a joke. Don't flip out.
And I was in mid-flip before I read your P.S. OUCH!!! Hard landing.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Nott Cottage is 2 bedrooms. So that would be one for WK and one for George. Where does the nanny stay on the sofa?

I love how a man who willing risked his life by flying a helicopter in dangerous conditions in Snowdonia is called work shy. So if he takes a full time job helping people as the air ambulance pilot that isn't okay but he should become a professional plaque unveiler/tree planter instead?

Good point. William is not work shy, I do not understand why people can say something so stupid.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I find that some of them will only believe he worked if there is an accompanying photo. Don't think that RAF is going to permit a photographer to be there recording every rescue. "And here is your souvenir photo highlighting when you were plucked off the mountain top. BTW that will be _____________ number of pounds to cover the cost."
Old 07-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Serene Highness

I might suggest that W/K are "working" on having a second child. For some people, this is not just a side-event. Catherine was very sick in early pregnancy, and possibly it is anticipated that she will need support when she conceives again. William was with her a lot during those first horrid months. Some people do not conceive easily. Perhaps William is taking it easy to reduce stress for this reason. Possibly they want to have another child soon so the Queen will still be with them for that event.
I see nothing wrong with an easy-going time for them. Lots of dads would just love to have more time with their firstborn, even while anticipating the nextborn.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I find that some of them will only believe he worked if there is an accompanying photo. Don't think that RAF is going to permit a photographer to be there recording every rescue. "And here is your souvenir photo highlighting when you were plucked off the mountain top. BTW that will be _____________ number of pounds to cover the cost."
There is a tv series that aired on BBC Wales called Helicopter Rescue if I recall correctly. The 2nd season was based at RAF Anglesey and it showed Ft Lt Will Wales as he was referred to by his coworkers. One episode showed William's Sea King finding a injured person in a quarry. The most scary scene was another Sea King that had to hover couple of feet from a rock face at night during winter while they picked up a injured climber with the winch. It wasn't some joyride at the govt's tab for the crew.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Even if that happened it would be criticized as PR.
Kate needs to do more duties and calling her work shy at least could be backed up with her history. But William worked his way through the military and has been a rescue pilot for years, all that while still carrying out some royal duties.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There is a tv series that aired on BBC Wales called Helicopter Rescue if I recall correctly. The 2nd season was based at RAF Anglesey and it showed Ft Lt Will Wales as he was referred to by his coworkers. One episode showed William's Sea King finding a injured person in a quarry. The most scary scene was another Sea King that had to hover couple of feet from a rock face at night during winter while they picked up a injured climber with the winch. It wasn't some joyride at the govt's tab for the crew.

Thanks Skippyboo. Is the show still on the air?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

This post made me laugh

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/Wtz5E

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-16-2014, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thanks Skippyboo. Is the show still on the air?
You might be able to find short clips out there on the Internet. I watched it thru the BBC's website but I had to download software from the web to change my IP address from a US one to a UK one since the BBC video player is restricted to the UK.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
This post made me laugh

I just can't waaaaaiiittttt to be kiiiiinnnnnng - Imgur

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
That is a good one.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Courtier

While you been complaining about William doing no engagements he has been very busy doing engagements.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
While you been complaining about William doing no engagements he has been very busy doing engagements.
It doesn't count, he was without Kate
Old 07-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
How or where Charles lived prior to his marriage does not set in stone how William or Harry are suppose to live. Times have changed. Children do not live at home until they marry. When Charles married Diana he was the heir to the throne and both were expected to be full-time royals. William is in line for the throne, but won't be the heir for some time. For that reason, William was allowed to have more of a military career than Charles.

How William and Catherine spend their time, perform their royal duties and where they live are strongly influenced/directed by the Queen and Charles as well as the royal couriers.

As for William getting a house instead of Princess Anne & her family, the Queen owned the house and it is her decision as to who lives there.
Excellent post!

Closed Thread