Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think this is going to end well...

Me neither.

Does William want to be King?

I sometimes think that Harry is more interested in Royal duties than William.

In short, no. Never has, never will.

I think he will be well pleased with his immediate future and that it keeps the media at bay will be an added bonus. It also allows him a further two and a half years to make a decision as to what he wants to do until his grandmother dies.

I think it will just make the media attention worse - which is what he's always been looking to avoid.

I think he will be at this post for years to come - I'm willing to bet money it will be a lot longer than 2 1/2 years.

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

William and Catherine's roles and activities are approved by the Queen and POW, especially since the POW foots the bills for most their expenses.
As for the Cambridges PR, the POW's PR is responsible for them.

William will not have a defined role until he becomes POW.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Does William want to be King?

I sometimes think that Harry is more interested in Royal duties than William.

Considering that William does more royal duties than Harry, I don't see how Harry's more interested.

Last edited:
Last edited:
We shall see how all of this will go down. As long as William and Catherine keep up a good balance of arranging their official engagements and charity engagements around his Air Ambulance job, things will be okay.

I don't see this job lasting more than 2 1/2 years. Although I do see another baby within that time.

Last edited:
It's a real shame, if he'd gone straight from Wales to Norfolk with this job I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that he had a "sham" year out doing barely anything just adds insult to injury. If they want a "normal" life the answer is simple, both William and Catherine know what they're in for if they keep avoiding it they're just not going to be successful.

It's a real shame, if he'd gone straight from Wales to Norfolk with this job I wouldn't have minded. But the fact that he had a "sham" year out doing barely anything just adds insult to injury. If they want a "normal" life the answer is simple, both William and Catherine know what they're in for if they keep avoiding it they're just not going to be successful.

exactly avoiding. Avoiding what? Seems like he has no interest in his future role, I no longer have any interest in these two. I said in my post with Catherine, l will no longer take any interest in these two. Do what they want

I think it will just make the media attention worse - which is what he's always been looking to avoid.

I think he will be at this post for years to come - I'm willing to bet money it will be a lot longer than 2 1/2 years.

It depends on how long the old people will live/be able to do their duty.

When the DoE dies, the pressure will mount on William. When the Queen dies, 'normal life' is over anyway.

Both scenarios can happen today or tomorrow. I don't think this arrangement will last longer than 2 1/2 years.

How is William avoiding his future duties? He spent 9 years in the military including stints in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. Sounds like great prep for a future head of the armed forces. He has visited 5 different realm countries including the 3 biggest plus 2 more commonwealth countries. He did a land management course for prep for being Duke of Cornwall. He attended the Diplomatic reception, performed several investitures including 2 in Australia and NZ and represented the Queen and UK at D-Day and the start of WWI commemorations . Plus while he was being "lazy" he has done over 125 engagements since last September. Not to mention helping to take care of his son who was quite difficult for the first 5 months.

William's jobs as Duke of Cornwall and King are in the future. He cant start them early nor can he push the present job holders out of the way. So until the future becomes the now, he is going to use his skill as a pilot ( something he has based on his own hard work and merit not just because he was born) to help out people at a critical point in their lives. At the same time still doing royal duties.

This new post for William could be extended to 5 years, if he wants it.

I think for now, they want a quiet life in the country, where they can raise their son, and a 2nd, or 3rd baby. I think once the 2 years are up, William will extend it again anyway. Both his parents were full-time royals when he was growing up, and maybe he saw how there was no time to work on mending a troubled marriage.

Hopefully people will find a bright side to look on but as things stand, William's overweening sense of entitlement leaches into every facet of his public life, as does his more frequent lapses into ennui. He wants to be "normal"? Well guess what, the majority of "normal" people of his age do not get a first gap year let alone a second "transitional" year, to procrastinate about a future that is pretty well fixed. They have to work all week, often putting in long hours to pay their mortgages, health insurance, raise their kids, pay school fee, save for their future, anything but nothing.

Ordinary couples may both work and often in jobs that no longer challenge them or that they downright hate. Those feelings are irrelevant because they get on the train Monday morning and go to work, all day, and then have the fun of walking back to the station at the end of the day to take another long trip on the train. And they will do that all year round Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. They even call it the daily grind.

How is William avoiding his future duties? He spent 9 years in the military including stints in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF. Sounds like great prep for a future head of the armed forces. He has visited 5 different realm countries including the 3 biggest plus 2 more commonwealth countries. He did a land management course for prep for being Duke of Cornwall. He attended the Diplomatic reception, performed several investitures including 2 in Australia and NZ and represented the Queen and UK at D-Day and the start of WWI commemorations . Plus while he was being "lazy" he has done over 125 engagements since last September. Not to mention helping to take care of his son who was quite difficult for the first 5 months.

William's jobs as Duke of Cornwall and King are in the future. He cant start them early nor can he push the present job holders out of the way. So until the future becomes the now, he is going to use his skill as a pilot ( something he has based on his own hard work and merit not just because he was born) to help out people at a critical point in their lives. At the same time still doing royal duties.

Exactly...thanks for posting. People are acting like he hasn't put any effort into his future role, and like he's done absolutely nothing since leaving the military.

On top of his job, he'll still be taking on his charities and representing the Queen. So he's not avoiding his future role.

William's new job will be helping the public and isn't that what the royals are supposedly all about? Isn't their purpose to serve the people? I know some would rather he take up a post somewhere, but I applaud him for putting his own life on the line and doing something that can make a difference.

Last edited:
I have a question: was Charles "trained" in order to be the heir? And shouldn't William prepare for Charles role? I don't know how many years it might take but I thouhgt that maybe Charles had to study some politics, economies etc... I don't know much about it so I'm wondering!

Exactly...thanks for posting. People are acting like he hasn't put any effort into his future role, and like he's done absolutely nothing since leaving the military.

On top of his job, he'll still be taking on his charities and representing the Queen. So he's not avoiding his future role.

William's new job will be helping the public and isn't that what the royals are supposedly all about? Isn't their purpose to serve the people? I know some would rather he take up a post somewhere, but I applaud him for putting his own life on the line and doing something that can make a difference.

Both excellent posts!!

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

I have a question: was Charles "trained" in order to be the heir? And shouldn't William prepare for Charles role? I don't know how many years it might take but I thouhgt that maybe Charles had to study some politics, economies etc... I don't know much about it so I'm wondering!

Charles went to Cambridge and then did time with the RAF and Royal Navy. He commanded his own ship before he left to help the Queen with her silver jubilee. Plus he runs a large duchy and a large charity that he built from the ground up.

The people in parliament and Downing Street run the country not the monarch. She isn't doing the country's budget or deciding what the UK is doing in Gaza.

William is being prepared for his father's current role. The course at Cambridge was the most public way but William has been attending the biannual meeting of the Duchy of Cornwall advisors and officers with his father for quite some years now. The Time magazine article on Charles last year for his 65th, describes Charles teaching William how to do an investiture while they were at Birkhall even getting a sword sent up from London for knighting practice.

I think it is an ill-advised move. It makes look like being royal is essentially "I have nothing to do" and while waiting for a future role the Duke starts an interim career at the Air Ambulance Service.

My advise would have been: make the royal family smaller, say thank you to the Kents and the Gloucesters and re-schedule and re-distribute the whole agenda over William, Harry, Anne, Andrew, Edward and their spouses.

I think this will be the last job William will have outside of royal duties and I think he will end it to fully help his aging grandparents afterwards.

Charles went to Cambridge and then did time with the RAF and Royal Navy. He commanded his own ship before he left to help the Queen with her silver jubilee. Plus he runs a large duchy and a large charity that he built from the ground up.

The people in parliament and Downing Street run the country not the monarch. She isn't doing the country's budget or deciding what the UK is doing in Gaza.

William is being prepared for his father's current role. The course at Cambridge was the most public way but William has been attending the biannual meeting of the Duchy of Cornwall advisors and officers with his father for quite some years now. The Time magazine article on Charles last year for his 65th, describes Charles teaching William how to do an investiture while they were at Birkhall even getting a sword sent up from London for knighting practice.

Thank you!:flowers:

The Times wrote about William in one of its Leading Articles today. I think this extract puts forward an interesting and realistic take on yesterday's announcement

Quote:
The enduring appeal of the British monarchy is that it has understood the wisdom of Giuseppe di Lampedusa’s famous line from The Leopard: “If we want things to stay as they are, then things will have to change.” The younger royals, in particular, show every sign of understanding that the monarchy proceeds by adaptation.

After a period in which affection for the monarchy has been based either on devoted service (the Queen) or on work for charity( the Prince of Wales), the Duke of Cambridge is subtly reinventing the occupation by going back to work................

The longevity of the Queen has meant that Prince Charles has been the king-in-waiting for a very long time. The Duke of Cambridge himself may well have decades in front of him before he takes the throne. It is to his credit that he wishes to do paid work and, in the process, he will slowly be transforming the idea of monarchy.

The lives of kings, queens and princes were once wholly remote from the people. In this more transparent age that is less true and the Duke of Cambridge has made a clever decision.

End

The Times:After a period in which affection for the monarchy has been based either on devoted service (the Queen) or on work for charity( the Prince of Wales), the Duke of Cambridge is subtly reinventing the occupation by going back to work................

The longevity of the Queen has meant that Prince Charles has been the king-in-waiting for a very long time. The Duke of Cambridge himself may well have decades in front of him before he takes the throne. It is to his credit that he wishes to do paid work and, in the process, he will slowly be transforming the idea of monarchy.

The lives of kings, queens and princes were once wholly remote from the people. In this more transparent age that is less true and the Duke of Cambridge has made a clever decision.

I think William has taken a page from the Continental Royals. The only difference is William's job is more a working man's job, rather than in finance or working for the Diplomatic Corps at the UN. I think what William is doing is a good thing and I hope he stays with it right through being King, especially if it satisfies him, and interests him. Those two aspects alone are worth gold to a person's sense of fulfillment. :flowers:

Last edited:
The Times wrote about William in one of its Leading Articles today. I think this extract puts forward an interesting and realistic take on yesterday's announcement

Quote:
The enduring appeal of the British monarchy is that it has understood the wisdom of Giuseppe di Lampedusa’s famous line from The Leopard: “If we want things to stay as they are, then things will have to change.” The younger royals, in particular, show every sign of understanding that the monarchy proceeds by adaptation.

After a period in which affection for the monarchy has been based either on devoted service (the Queen) or on work for charity( the Prince of Wales), the Duke of Cambridge is subtly reinventing the occupation by going back to work................

End

This is quite insightful and, I will add, I think that William disagrees with Charles's wish to streamline the working royals to Charles's immediate family and prefers that the royals be an "ensemble" with Anne, Andrew, Edward and the York girls involved.

Quote:

End

Decades!? They are really optimistic. Charles is 66 this year, not everyone reaches Queen-Mum age.

Politicans are on board as well

Prince could become an East Anglian Air ambulance pilot - News - Norwich Advertiser
News of the talks with the service have been welcomed by leading local figures. Waveney MP Peter Aldous said: “Prince William is a very skilled helicopter pilot and anything that raises the profile of the air ambulance and the work they do is good news.”

Health minister Norman Lamb, MP for North Norfolk, said: “I would massively welcome it. It would bring enormous focus to the fantastic work of the air ambulance. It is of incredible value to our region, particularly given its rural nature and the coastline. I think this would be a brilliant thing for him to do.”

Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman said: “The EAAA is a great local medical charity. With a young family and increasingly important Royal duties, this is a great way for the prince to put his pilot training to work for the good of the community in a flexible way outside full-time military service. We would be lucky to have him.”

Decades!? They are really optimistic. Charles is 66 this year, not everyone reaches Queen-Mum age.

Very true and it's one of the reasons why I really don't think William will be doing this job for too long. 2 years in, the Cambridge's will have to fully dedicate themselves to the Firm. I think this job is it.

The decades comment by an earlier poster was referring to William becoming King which could be decades away.

When he becomes the heir apparent is probably a much closer event. I wonder what happens when Philip passes, if the Queen starts to go downhill after that. She has been pretty healthy for the most part. I know she has some knee issues.

This is quite insightful and, I will add, I think that William disagrees with Charles's wish to streamline the working royals to Charles's immediate family and prefers that the royals be an "ensemble" with Anne, Andrew, Edward and the York girls involved.

The intended streamline effectively only meant the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and their families. When posters hail William for following a continental example, then streamline the royal family to the core royals is very continental too.

The neighbours at the other side of the sea (Netherlands) even modernized the Royal House Act to regulate that only children of a King and of a Heir are Princes (Princesses) of the Netherlands, Princes (Princesses) of Orange-Nassau. The new King of Spain went furtherer, now even siblings of a King (Infanta Doña Margarita, Infanta Doña Pilar, Inanta Doña Elena, Infanta Doña Cristina) are sidelined. In Norway even the brother of the future Crown Princess (Prince Sverre Magnus) is no longer a HRH. When King Charles starts streamlining the Royal Family, I can not see a future King William restore it back to an overcrowded balcony at Buckingham Palace...

Note that even without intervention of King Charles, the present Earl of Ulster and the present Earl of St Andrews will become "normal" Dukes instead of royal Dukes, like their fathers and grandfathers, they already are no Princes and no HRH.

The intended streamline effectively only meant the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and their families. When posters hail William for following a continental example, then streamline the royal family to the core royals is very continental too.

The neighbours at the other side of the sea (Netherlands) even modernized the Royal House Act to regulate that only children of a King and of a Heir are Princes (Princesses) of the Netherlands, Princes (Princesses) of Orange-Nassau. The new King of Spain went furtherer, now even siblings of a King (Infanta Doña Margarita, Infanta Doña Pilar, Inanta Doña Elena, Infanta Doña Cristina) are sidelined. In Norway even the brother of the future Crown Princess (Prince Sverre Magnus) is no longer a HRH. When King Charles starts streamlining the Royal Family, I can not see a future King William restore it back to an overcrowded balcony at Buckingham Palace...

Note that even without intervention of King Charles, the present Earl of Ulster and the present Earl of St Andrews will become "normal" Dukes instead of royal Dukes, like their fathers and grandfathers, they already are no Princes and no HRH.

I think a streamlined monarchy is for the best. Right now, the working royal family is too large, IMO.

I think a streamlined monarchy is for the best. Right now, the working royal family is too large, IMO.

Keep in mind though that:

• The UK is a much bigger country in terms of population (64 million) than the Netherlands (17 million) or even Spain (46 million).
  • In addition to their regular schedule in the UK, members of the British Royal Family also occasionally have to attend events in other Commonwealth realms (Canada, Australia, NZ, Jamaica, etc.) .
I respectfully submit that the workload of the BRF is much heavier compared to its continental counterparts and a larger number of "working royals" makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom