The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
there's having a different opinion and then there's libel.
If you had bothered to read my post C.A.R.E.F.U.L.L.Y... you might have detected the sarcasm....

Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
If you had bothered to read my post C.A.R.E.F.U.L.L.Y... you might have detected the sarcasm....
I don't think PetticoatLane was directing this at you.

Sometimes people go to far in their assessment of someone's personality and character as if they feel they actually know that person. Its easy to do especially for us that follow the lives, activities, fashion and even facial expressions from day to day as we do here. Posters here could form the opinion of me that since I am here and posting daily and my posts are at all times of the day and night that I sit on my butt at the computer all day and have no life. Well... they'd be kind of right but that's besides the point.

Its too easy to see what might not really be there.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Very well said. Posters and pundits keep talking about him helping out his grandparents but they are not, and do not want to slow down. And they shouldnt blame him for that.

Charles is a workaholic and will also keep going till he drops.

The media want William and Catherine full time cos it sells papers/clicks online.
So they are not impartial.

Let him fly, and do it full time. If the Queen isnt going to abdicate or slow down then let him work at something else full time. This bits and pieces life style doesnt help anyone.
We actually don't know that he's looking into the EAAA as a full time job. My bet is on he does it part time as a volunteer when he's at Anmer Hall.

As far as Charles being a workaholic, I think you hit the nail on the head. He is constantly in motion and from what I read, he takes walks to relax.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
My word, my post was quite obviously not aimed at you. If it had been, I'd have quoted you. No need to get worked up.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

And my post was not directed at you, PetticoatLane.. but at those who make speculative accusations about people with whom they have no direct relationship.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Why not name names. That way the person in question can respond if they want to. I assumed you meant Kitty Atlanta.

(stands back while sky falls on head)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

I did indeed mean Kitty Atlanta, and apologise if i was unclear...
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Majesty

We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion/debate/whine/moan/critique/pondering session on what's next for the Duke of Cambridge. Will he fly or will he not? Stay tuned for the next exciting post brought to you by The Royal Forums.

― John Lennon
Old 06-27-2014, 01:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Ain't that the truth.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 AM
Majesty

I think that if the Queen wanted Prince William to be doing Full Time Royal Duties, that's exactly what he'd be doing. The same with his Duchess.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 AM
Majesty

To be honest I do not understand why William resigned his commision in the RAF. There were no obvious external pressures for him to do so and, having done so, he seems to be at somewhat of a lose end

For all any of us know there could be a grand plan but if there is, then the BRF PR and Information Office is obviously not attaining it's objectives because, for all intents and purposes, it looks as if William is basically sitting on his duff complaining about the media. Rudderless! Directionless! Cast adrift without compass on an ocean of royal possibilities! Tossed by the winds, this way, that way![sic] (B5).

When he metaphorically washes up on shore I'll be sure to take an interest but just this moment his public persona is about as interesting as watching the paint dry.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
For all any of us know there could be a grand plan but if there is, then the BRF PR and Information Office is obviously not attaining it's objectives because, for all intents and purposes, it looks as if William is basically sitting on his duff complaining about the media. Rudderless! Directionless! Cast adrift without compass on an ocean of royal possibilities! Tossed by the winds, this way, that way![sic]
Or it could simply be that they're not telling the media or anyone what the long range plans are. They have to know that the public is clamoring for more, More, MORE Will and Kate but as they are still in the position of being grandchildren and heir to the heir, they're trying to keep the information at a minimum. That's my guess anyways.
― John Lennon
Old 06-27-2014, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
To be honest I do not understand why William resigned his commision in the RAF. There were no obvious external pressures for him to do so and, having done so, he seems to be at somewhat of a lose end

For all any of us know there could be a grand plan but if there is, then the BRF PR and Information Office is obviously not attaining it's objectives because, for all intents and purposes, it looks as if William is basically sitting on his duff complaining about the media. Rudderless! Directionless! Cast adrift without compass on an ocean of royal possibilities! Tossed by the winds, this way, that way![sic] (B5).

When he metaphorically washes up on shore I'll be sure to take an interest but just this moment his public persona is about as interesting as watching the paint dry.
I like William a lot, but I agree entirely. He should have stayed in the RAF, maintained a low-ish profile and enjoyed a relatively normal-ish life as we are always lead to believe he wants. Instead, he is knocking about in the media spotlight with ex-footballers!
If there is a grand plan, then it's not a very good one because as we all know, PR in Great Britain is always spin and rubbish and like the preverbal swan - serene above the water and flapping about aimlessly underneath the surface.

It is not necessarily William's fault, because he is more constrained by his position than he would like and is is being ill-advised. Let us not forget, William's profile is technically higher than it ought to be - he is in the same position, royally speaking, as Prince Christian of Denmark or Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway......and lower in terms of position than the Princess of Orange or the Princess of Asturias. Put into that context, he should hardly be in the media spotlight at all.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

It's obvious that there was internal, not external, pressure for William.

The situation a year ago was very different from today situation. Last year health of prince Filip caused fears. He was in hospital several times. The queen too spent one night in hospital. It's obvious that Filip's death would affect the queen very negatively including her ability to carry out functions of the monarch. Therefore a year ago the Firm prepared for the worst scenario.
In that situation William wasn't allowed to sign new three-year contract. Transition year would allow William to replace Charles at any moment.
But now the situation has changed. The queen and prince Filip are fit and active, they don't need any extra help.
Therefore prince William (and The Firm's advisers) looks for a suitable role in this new situation.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
It's obvious that there was internal, not external, pressure for William.

The situation a year ago was very different from today situation. Last year health of prince Filip caused fears. He was in hospital several times. The queen too spent one night in hospital. It's obvious that Filip's death would affect the queen very negatively including her ability to carry out functions of the monarch. Therefore a year ago the Firm prepared for the worst scenario.
In that situation William wasn't allowed to sign new three-year contract. Transition year would allow William to replace Charles at any moment.
But now the situation has changed. The queen and prince Filip are fit and active, they don't need any extra help.
Therefore prince William (and The Firm's advisers) looks for a suitable role in this new situation.
I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying here, but if what you say is true about fears for QE2 and DoE's health, then I still do not understand why William could not have signed a further three years. If someone died in that time then William would then have had to break his contract.
William shouldn't have had to live in suspended animation for year just in case Philip had a turn, took a tumble or died.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think idea is to not wait until somebody is sick and then change plans to help out more. The idea is do be seen helping his aging grandparents now.

Since his exit from his full-time job in the SAR, William has taken on the job of conducting Investitures on behalf of the Queen. He and Catherine are able devote more time and energy into their engagements and charities.They are also able to extend the time of their official tours. It appears they are starting to attend State events like the reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps and will possibly start participating in State Visits for the first time. They weren't able to do a lot of that stuff when he was focused on his military career. It would look very bad to start backing away from the progress they've made so far.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying here, but if what you say is true about fears for QE2 and DoE's health, then I still do not understand why William could not have signed a further three years. If someone died in that time then William would then have had to break his contract.
William shouldn't have had to live in suspended animation for year just in case Philip had a turn, took a tumble or died.
Jacknch - I agree with you. I'm less convinced that they family has a firm plan though. I think they are still reacting to circumstances, somewhat. No doubt their own longevity has taught them fate will out.
I do think that the Queen and the POW are firm supporters of the plan to slowly nurture the professional growth of the Cambridges while allowing them a lot of time and space for family time. I think there are general goals around which the pennants flutter.
I've always thought both the Queen and Charles understood what was lost and gained then the Queen took the throne so early in Charles's life. Given the generational plenitude the Commonwealth now enjoys, there is an opportunity to indulge the FAMILY part of the "Country, Church, Family" message the monarchy believes is the strength of the UK.
It's not so much, to me, that William CANNOT give all immediately to the Country, it's that the family chooses that he NEED NOT, just now. Family first, for now.
And there are advantages. Limiting the exposure of the Cambridge family helps them build time and stability in their marriage and increases the likelihood that they will remain together and raise a terrific child/children.
I always thought it quaint that Diana was so concerned that Camilla was the third person in her marriage - when to me it was clear that the real third party was the press. I don't want to drag us off topic, but the press never adds stability to a marriage.
Likewise, if William and Catherine can feel valued in their roles, they will be less likely to concern themselves with what the press/public think. And William clearly feels the value of being connected to relatively normal people in relatively normal work situations. It is how he prefers to function. The Queen felt the same value in making a normal contribution in her war job and at the end of WWII. Who's to say that was unimportant in the formation of her formidable and effective personality. So why not allow William the same growth opportunities?
I do think there are broad developmental plans and limits.
But I would just ask- how many grandparent do you know that deny trusted grandchildren the opportunities they themselves cherished when young. The Queen is driven by and speaks often of her duty to her country. But I never remember her describing how fun it is to lift yet another velvet cloth or pull a velvet curtain. Pride in her country - I am sure she feels that.
But when pride is your driving emotion over 6 decades, you need a deep measure of humility to temper a public personality. I think William is being allowed to nurture his own humility.
We can only imagine - but this is what runs through my head on the subject.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Nobility

The problem that William seems to be having now is finding a full time role for himself, he seems undecided between a flying career and royal duties. This, along with taking a transitional year out, gives his critics reason to see him as workshy. Harry, however, seems to have the perfect balance between military, royal and charitable duties.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS;1681097
I've always thought both the Queen and Charles understood what was lost [I
and gained[/I] then the Queen took the throne so early in Charles's life. Given the generational plenitude the Commonwealth now enjoys, there is an opportunity to indulge the FAMILY part of the "Country, Church, Family" message the monarchy believes is the strength of the UK.
It's not so much, to me, that William CANNOT give all immediately to the Country, it's that the family chooses that he NEED NOT, just now. Family first, for now.
And there are advantages. Limiting the exposure of the Cambridge family helps them build time and stability in their marriage and increases the likelihood that they will remain together and raise a terrific child/children.
(Sorry about weird BBM- don't know why that happened)

Oh, well-said, AdmirerUS! I've always thought the Queen to be a wise woman, and a wise woman learns from her mistakes. Let the Cambridges live their lives for a bit more before they get on the stage for good. They will be better for it, and their lives of service will, too.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
... Harry, however, seems to have the perfect balance between military, royal and charitable duties.
Yes, but he has no family life. Finding a suitable mate has eluded him, so he has all the time he needs for everything else.

Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread