The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to keep Kensington Palace as official residence-
Prince William and Kate Middleton to stay in Kensington Palace until Will becomes King | Royal | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Gentry

I was of the opinion that William should take on full time royal duties but I have changed my mind.
Should he increase his public duties? Yes. He has slowly taken more significant responsibilities but I think he should gradually increase his duties.

What I think would be a great idea is for him to take up a volunteer role with the air ambulance service. That way he has more a flexible schedule that allows for him to mainly focus on his royal duties ( that balance that Dman has been highlighting)

It is clear that he loves flying and I don't think that he should be "forced" to give that up when he is only 2nd in line and still has quite the wait ahead of him. He can spend 60-70% of his time on royal duties and 30-40% volunteering with the air ambulance service. Over time this would slowly evolve to full time duties

Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to keep Kensington Palace as official residence-
Prince William and Kate Middleton to stay in Kensington Palace until Will becomes King | Royal | News | Daily Express
This article states under a picture of Kensington Palace that "Charles and Camilla currently live in Kensington Palace".
Is this true? I thought their main London residence was Clarence House.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That's not true, the article even states further up that C&C live in Clarence house.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Aristocracy

It appears that the powers that be assumed they needed to get their ducks in a row after the last couple of years of DoE's hospital stays. William resigned from RAF; started work on a home; started preparing for PoW duties and full time engagements, etc. The Press got all hipped up thinking they would have W&C pics, pics, pics and now DoE is almost as spry as ever (also Duke of Kent) and all the plans have had to change. The reporters are not happy about any of the new plans...no more W&C pics...
Old 06-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Very true that the media would like to see more of the Cambridge's but I think many of them agree that William & Catherine should be stepping up to the plate and helping the aging Queen & Duke of Edinburgh in general. I happen to agree with some of them. This idea to leave their official home and move full-time to their country estate and reduce their number of official engagements will not go down so well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaSueSue View Post
It appears that the powers that be assumed they needed to get their ducks in a row after the last couple of years of DoE's hospital stays. William resigned from RAF; started work on a home; started preparing for PoW duties and full time engagements, etc. The Press got all hipped up thinking they would have W&C pics, pics, pics and now DoE is almost as spry as ever (also Duke of Kent) and all the plans have had to change. The reporters are not happy about any of the new plans...no more W&C pics...
^^ Exactly! Reporters are put out and now they are writing snarky articles. The Daily Express carried the quote from Charles private secretary stating the money just isn't there and yet Palmer et al are all in a tizzy over it.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Very true that the media would like to see more of the Cambridge's but I think many of them agree that William & Catherine should be stepping up to the plate and helping the aging Queen & Duke of Edinburgh in general. I happen to agree with some of them. This idea to leave their official home and move full-time to their country estate and reduce their number of official engagements will not go down so well.

Dman what does stepping up to the plate mean? You always say this and yet never acknowledge that its not up to William
Old 06-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
This article states under a picture of Kensington Palace that "Charles and Camilla currently live in Kensington Palace".
Is this true? I thought their main London residence was Clarence House.
Must be a misprint. Charles & Camilla live at Clarence House officially. Their other residences are Highgrove and Birkhall. Camilla also have her own residence from her previous marriage, Raymill House.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Dman what does stepping up to the plate mean? You always say this and yet never acknowledge that its not up to William
I mean that they should be doing more and not backing away from royal duties. The correct funds should be provided for the Cambridge's to carry out more official duties.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Aristocracy

Question: If at some point PoW becomes Regent, does he control the Sovereign's Grant and William take over DoC income? or how does that work.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer, the author of the Express article is being contradictory. He is criticising William for not being afull time royal and then states that there isnt enough money for them to be full time.

Catherine and William are a money spinner for the press thru sale of papers or online clicks.

Self interest at play here.

I want that announcement pdq

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Courtier

The aging Queen and DoE doesn't want to slow down and I think they find it insulting for people to suggest that to them or to suggest others to take over for them
Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

It all make me think that there's some interesting things going on behind the scenes. If there isn't a better balance to his new job and royal duties, then it's going to be a strain on William & Catherine once again, some heavy criticism will come their way and their palace PR team are going to have one headache after another. They shouldn't be retreating from their royal duties but increasing them.

I thought the whole idea was to focus on royal duties and charitable roles and conservation work.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaSueSue View Post
Question: If at some point PoW becomes Regent, does he control the Sovereign's Grant and William take over DoC income? or how does that work.
I would imagine that as regent, he would oversee the Sovereign's Grant but as Duke of Cornwall still, he would still remain in charge of that. A regent acts in the interest of the monarch.

I would also imagine that Charles would (as regent) use, to his advantage, the Way Ahead Group that meets twice yearly. Although it is not official, I think many of the issues concerning the Windsor family are discussed and decisions made during these meetings. I think these meetings are a big part of deciding the future of the royal family.

With this in mind, I really don't expect to hear much about anything changing for William in any way until after the committee meets this summer at Balmoral.

This link cannot be classified as gospel truths nor actually is the committee itself but it does give some insight into perhaps on how the Firm works in the background.

User:Hemlock Martinis/Way Ahead Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks Osipi for your reply...much as I thought.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Until there is an official announcement, we aren't going to know what William's plans are. He doesn't have to do the air ambulance full time, he could do 15 shifts a month plus royal duties.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Until there is an official announcement, we aren't going to know what William's plans are. He doesn't have to do the air ambulance full time, he could do 15 shifts a month plus royal duties.
Very true, an official announcement on their plans would clear up and hopefully present a better balance than they had before.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Very true, an official announcement on their plans would clear up and hopefully present a better balance than they had before.
I don't expect we'll really hear anything official until the end of the summer break. This "transitional" year is up in September correct?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 AM
Royal Highness

The excuse about lack of funds is just that an excuse by William supporters.

It is William's own words that show he is reluctant to commit to full time royal duties.

In his May 2012 interview with Katie Couric his said he had not yet decided whether to extend his service as a search-and-rescue pilot for another year, but admitted that it was becoming harder to balance with the demands of being second in line to the throne.

“It’s a really difficult one because I really enjoy my time in the Air Force, and I’d love to continue it,” he said. “But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”

Airman Prince William could become part-time helicopter instructor - Telegraph

The house and the honors were given to him as a future full time royal and not as a reluctant part time royal who has to be bribed to do his duty. If he wanted to stay as a part time or occasional royal then he should have stayed at Clarence House.

There was enough room for William, Kate & George and a nanny at Clarence House. William had a 3 room suite, Harry had a 3 room suite & there were several guest bedrooms on the same floor. Also St. James' Palace has more than enough room. Charles had remodeled it for W&H so that there were IIRC about 14 extra bedrooms for their friends.

Apartment 1A is too large for just a family home. Prince Charles was a full time royal but lived in a 3 room apartment at BP until he was married. Charles uses Clarence House not just as a residence but for meetings and conducting official business as POW and as a member of the royal family meeting visiting dignitaries. When he lived in KP's Apartment 8&9, they too were used for meetings and not just for a family residence.

Closed Thread