Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might suggest that W/K are "working" on having a second child. For some people, this is not just a side-event. Catherine was very sick in early pregnancy, and possibly it is anticipated that she will need support when she conceives again. William was with her a lot during those first horrid months. Some people do not conceive easily. Perhaps William is taking it easy to reduce stress for this reason. Possibly they want to have another child soon so the Queen will still be with them for that event.
I see nothing wrong with an easy-going time for them. Lots of dads would just love to have more time with their firstborn, even while anticipating the nextborn.

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

I find that some of them will only believe he worked if there is an accompanying photo. Don't think that RAF is going to permit a photographer to be there recording every rescue. "And here is your souvenir photo highlighting when you were plucked off the mountain top. BTW that will be _____________ number of pounds to cover the cost."

There is a tv series that aired on BBC Wales called Helicopter Rescue if I recall correctly. The 2nd season was based at RAF Anglesey and it showed Ft Lt Will Wales as he was referred to by his coworkers. One episode showed William's Sea King finding a injured person in a quarry. The most scary scene was another Sea King that had to hover couple of feet from a rock face at night during winter while they picked up a injured climber with the winch. It wasn't some joyride at the govt's tab for the crew.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I find that some of them will only believe he worked if there is an accompanying photo. Don't think that RAF is going to permit a photographer to be there recording every rescue. "And here is your souvenir photo highlighting when you were plucked off the mountain top. BTW that will be _____________ number of pounds to cover the cost."

Even if that happened it would be criticized as PR.
Kate needs to do more duties and calling her work shy at least could be backed up with her history. But William worked his way through the military and has been a rescue pilot for years, all that while still carrying out some royal duties.

There is a tv series that aired on BBC Wales called Helicopter Rescue if I recall correctly. The 2nd season was based at RAF Anglesey and it showed Ft Lt Will Wales as he was referred to by his coworkers. One episode showed William's Sea King finding a injured person in a quarry. The most scary scene was another Sea King that had to hover couple of feet from a rock face at night during winter while they picked up a injured climber with the winch. It wasn't some joyride at the govt's tab for the crew.

Thanks Skippyboo. Is the show still on the air?

Thanks Skippyboo. Is the show still on the air?

You might be able to find short clips out there on the Internet. I watched it thru the BBC's website but I had to download software from the web to change my IP address from a US one to a UK one since the BBC video player is restricted to the UK.

While you been complaining about William doing no engagements he has been very busy doing engagements. :lol:

How or where Charles lived prior to his marriage does not set in stone how William or Harry are suppose to live. Times have changed. Children do not live at home until they marry. When Charles married Diana he was the heir to the throne and both were expected to be full-time royals. William is in line for the throne, but won't be the heir for some time. For that reason, William was allowed to have more of a military career than Charles.

How William and Catherine spend their time, perform their royal duties and where they live are strongly influenced/directed by the Queen and Charles as well as the royal couriers.

As for William getting a house instead of Princess Anne & her family, the Queen owned the house and it is her decision as to who lives there.
Excellent post!

I wanted to point out 2 quick things.

1. We don't have access to William's schedule so we don't know what he does on a daily basis but I suspect it's more than people imagine.

2. Once William and Catherine become full time royals that's it, that's their life forever after. The only way they get to retire is by dying. Since William could live another 65-70 years maybe we should allow him to have his "retirement" time now to enjoy his family and his life in the way most of us will be able to do once we hit retirement age.

The Cambridges and Harry's staff is at Kensington Palace so it is their place of business too and probably the reason Harry moved to KP.

Charles does not actually own any homes personally. Highgrove and the house in Wales are own by the Duchy of Cornwall, Birkhall is part of the Queen's Balmoral estate.

William did the same thing as Charles did. He stayed with his parent until he got married and then moved out. Harry moved into a staff apartment at KP and then Nott Cottage. You know who used to live at Nott Cottage - Marion Crawford who was the teacher for Princess Elizabeth and Margaret . It isn't some lavish palace.

You're absolutely right, well explained.

The Queen is very supportive of all her children and grandchildren, even towards Sarah Ferguson. She will support William and Catherine in their decisions, she will give advice, but not tell them what to do. Yes, she told William what kind of uniform he should choose for the wedding, but this was because he was made to Colonel of the Irish Guard.
William and Catherine will do much more in the years to come, be patient.

Everyone always talks about HMQ and her commitment to duty. No one ever mentions that she missed so much of her children's childhood. People talk about her taking on the role of monarch at a young age, but no one ever mentions that perhaps the impact on her husband and her children affecting her outlook because of the issues it raised.

The position she was in could not be avoided - but on a personal, family, wife level, perhaps there was a great cost.

And perhaps this is impacting on her decision re William and Catherine. There is no dynastic pressure on them so perhaps she wants them to have what she didn't have.

People are so quick to use her life as the example they should follow. Maybe they should stop and think that it wasn't what she wanted. And she wants William and Catherine to build on their marriage and be with their children because they have time.

Everyone always talks about HMQ and her commitment to duty. No one ever mentions that she missed so much of her children's childhood. People talk about her taking on the role of monarch at a young age, but no one ever mentions that perhaps the impact on her husband and her children affecting her outlook because of the issues it raised.

The position she was in could not be avoided - but on a personal, family, wife level, perhaps there was a great cost.

And perhaps this is impacting on her decision re William and Catherine. There is no dynastic pressure on them so perhaps she wants them to have what she didn't have.

People are so quick to use her life as the example they should follow. Maybe they should stop and think that it wasn't what she wanted. And she wants William and Catherine to build on their marriage and be with their children because they have time.

Funny, but I see other Royals managing the balance between duties and family just fine, ie M&F, M-M&H, F&L, D&V just to name a few. The women worked hard prior to having their children then took more time with their children over work. I would not be among the nay sayers if this had been the case for Catherine. William on the other hand has worked and is continuing to balance the two.
You are right the Queen did sacrifice and lessons have been learnt and W&C have been given a chance to be a family, but they are in their 30's and should set an example that privilege doesn't equate to sitting around doing nothing!
Being involved in their charities is great, people expect a certain amount of philanthropy from BRF, but doing nothing.........

Funny, but I see other Royals managing the balance between duties and family just fine, ie M&F, M-M&H, F&L, D&V just to name a few. The women worked hard prior to having their children then took more time with their children over work. I would not be among the nay sayers if this had been the case for Catherine. William on the other hand has worked and is continuing to balance the two.
You are right the Queen did sacrifice and lessons have been learnt and W&C have been given a chance to be a family, but they are in their 30's and should set an example that privilege doesn't equate to sitting around doing nothing!
Being involved in their charities is great, people expect a certain amount of philanthropy from BRF, but doing nothing.........
I believe that I should point out that with exception of Felipe and Letizia all of the couples you've cited are not the monarchs. Their positions which require them to represent the nation are not at the same level as the sovereign. As heir-to-the-heir, William has served as a SAR pilot, taken on new duties and represented the nation overseas with 3 tours. His father as the UK's CP does engagements very similar to the couples you mentioned above. When his reign begins, then we'll see the Cambridges taking on similar duties. These couples like the Cambridges were also in their early 30's when their children were very young. HM and the DoE began their tenure as monarch and consort when she was 25. Also during the Queen's early reign long distance travel was still being done by ship which required HM and the DoE to be gone for a longer period of time. :)

I believe that I should point out that with exception of Felipe and Letizia all of the couples you've cited are not the monarchs. Their positions which require them to represent the nation are not at the same level as the sovereign. As heir-to-the-heir, William has served as a SAR pilot, taken on new duties and represented the nation overseas with 3 tours. His father as the UK's CP does engagements very similar to the couples you mentioned above. When his reign begins, then we'll see the Cambridges taking on similar duties. These couples like the Cambridges were also in their early 30's when their children were very young. HM and the DoE began their tenure as monarch and consort when she was 25. Also during the Queen's early reign long distance travel was still being done by ship which required HM and the DoE to be gone for a longer period of time. :)

What's that got to do with how much work Catherine does/has done? And if I read my post I don't doubt the work Wills does/has done. My observation is that you can work and have a family life without it being at the level QE has had to do during her time. Also, heir-to-the-heir or heir what is the justification at 30years old to not work?!
I don't care about residence, property or how much is spent on properties, I don't care if they have staff or helicopters, cars, boats or whatever! What I do have a problem with is this justification that they are entitled to not work! QE could keep going for another 10-20 years (God willing) and only then Wills becomes heir. With the logic of the arguments I am reading, he and his wife only need to start putting in more work at this juncture!!
Excuse me if I have a problem with the future monarch of the Commonwealth and his wife not proving they can work like the people they purport to represent. Not much of an example.

William has worked, if he could I'm sure he'd still be working. Why is it so difficult for people to grasp that William is not lazy just because he put more emphasis on the RAF than his royal work; IMO his piloting career is more important. I don't know how long he hasn't been doing that job but it hasn't been long enough to start criticizing him for not being a hard worker.
William could do more, Kate definitely could do more but their age comes second to precedence. They are not the CPs!!!! They are not Charles, Frederik and Mary, Letizia and Felipe! He is the heirs heir and is probably taking into consideration that his father has been sitting around waiting to be King for decade after decade. There is no desperate need to push him into the full time job when he could have decades of waiting just like his dad. Let him be a productive member of society and save some lives.

I think it's good that William & Catherine are starting to do more royal duties by participating in official events and William conducting Investitures on The Queen's behalf. They're now able to conduct longer official royal tours and they may start attending State Visits soon. I don't think they should go on on to do something that will make them decrease their official duties. There's nothing wrong with William taking on another job but it shouldn't get in the way of the main focus.

What's that got to do with how much work Catherine does/has done? And if I read my post I don't doubt the work Wills does/has done. My observation is that you can work and have a family life without it being at the level QE has had to do during her time. Also, heir-to-the-heir or heir what is the justification at 30years old to not work?!
I don't care about residence, property or how much is spent on properties, I don't care if they have staff or helicopters, cars, boats or whatever! What I do have a problem with is this justification that they are entitled to not work! QE could keep going for another 10-20 years (God willing) and only then Wills becomes heir. With the logic of the arguments I am reading, he and his wife only need to start putting in more work at this juncture!!
Excuse me if I have a problem with the future monarch of the Commonwealth and his wife not proving they can work like the people they purport to represent. Not much of an example.
"What is the justification at 30 years old not to work" I wish I could answer your questions, but if you have the opportunity to read through the threads here you will see evidence of the Cambridges which would include the Duchess working. The threads also contain video and photos of the couple at their various engagements. About the only work engagements that would not have photo/video would be the Duke's SAR work with his team members and the couple's private visits to their foundation meetings and charities. I am aware that other royal families choose to invite the press to meetings with various groups but other families do not. British royals appear to fall into the latter category.

Now perhaps your concern truly is that the Cambridges are not working often enough to meet your level of expectation. That would likely to be a discussion that would involve not only this couple but the most senior royals (HM, DoE, and the PoW) whom I and others here believe "call the shots." IF HM was not satisfied with the amount of engagements being performed by the couple then I do believe that she would require them to do more. It appears to me and others that she is satisfied with that for the time being.

Last edited:
William has worked, if he could I'm sure he'd still be working. Why is it so difficult for people to grasp that William is not lazy just because he put more emphasis on the RAF than his royal work; IMO his piloting career is more important. I don't know how long he hasn't been doing that job but it hasn't been long enough to start criticizing him for not being a hard worker.
William could do more, Kate definitely could do more but their age comes second to precedence. They are not the CPs!!!! They are not Charles, Frederik and Mary, Letizia and Felipe! He is the heirs heir and is probably taking into consideration that his father has been sitting around waiting to be King for decade after decade. There is no desperate need to push him into the full time job when he could have decades of waiting just like his dad. Let him be a productive member of society and save some lives.
Excellent response.

Although their roles/situation are different, I'm wondering whether there was a similar debate about Andrew after he left the armed forces. Did he immediately step up to being a full-time Royal? I can't recall how soon he took on some of the duties/patronages/he holds.

Although their roles/situation are different, I'm wondering whether there was a similar debate about Andrew after he left the armed forces. Did he immediately step up to being a full-time Royal? I can't recall how soon he took on some of the duties/patronages/he holds.
Prince Andrew was in completely different situation.
He retired from the active service in 2001. In 2002 Queen-Mother and princess Margaret died and royal family including prince Andrew inherited many patronages.
Offcource no one discussed his duties on forums.

While I believe that Andrew would have begun full-time duties at some point, I sometimes wonder if this began earlier than expected. Perhaps the BRF thought that he'd remain in the Royal Navy for a longer career. Also the Wessexes were added on in the early 2000's when their professional careers ended and they began royal duties.

Prince Andrew was in completely different situation.
He retired from the active service in 2001. In 2002 Queen-Mother and princess Margaret died and royal family including prince Andrew inherited many patronages.
Offcource no one discussed his duties on forums.

Yes I did state their situations were different, but I think there is some validity in considering what public opinion was towards Andrew at the time when he left the navy( obviously there were no forums!!). Was he immediately a full- time royal and was this an easy transition?

1. You don't they're not working.

2. Comparing W&K to other 30 year olds is ridiculous.

3. Comparing W&K to the couples you cited is like comparing apples to orangutans, for several reasons: their families are not the same size, the international status of their families is not the same, their position relative to the throne is not the same, etc etc etc.

Why does it seem to me that people feel like if there are no pictures of William and Katherine attending a meeting or function they aren't working? For all we know they spend 8 hours a day dealing with paperwork and correspondence relating to their various charities. Just because we don't see every aspect of every day doesn't mean the Duke and Duchess are sitting on their bums eating bon-bons.

1. You don't they're not working.

2. Comparing W&K to other 30 year olds is ridiculous.

3. Comparing W&K to the couples you cited is like comparing apples to orangutans, for several reasons: their families are not the same size, the international status of their families is not the same, their position relative to the throne is not the same, etc etc etc.
Comparing anyone who is a member of a hereditary royal family with the rest of the population is a far stretch IMHO. The very concept of a hereditary monarchy is so vastly different than any other "profession." You don't ascend to your role until the person ahead of your dies or chooses to abdicate. You could achieve your final goal at any age from 5 to 75 though the younger ones would have a regent. There was more than one child/teen monarch in the 20th century ie: former Kings Simeon, Michael and the late King Hussein.

Those closest to the throne are limited in what roles they can play while waiting. Military service and royal duties are the norm though a few heirs have started their own foundations ie: Prince's Trust or served in another capacity King W-A's work with water issues around the globe while he was Prince of Orange. Working for a private enterprise is typically not permitted.

The senior members of royal families are often senior citizens and choosing to work past typical retirement age. The younger ones have to stay in their place until the senior members choose to make a change. :)

Why does it seem to me that people feel like if there are no pictures of William and Katherine attending a meeting or function they aren't working? For all we know they spend 8 hours a day dealing with paperwork and correspondence relating to their various charities. Just because we don't see every aspect of every day doesn't mean the Duke and Duchess are sitting on their bums eating bon-bons.

Honestly the only royal family where I see regularly released photos of members attending meetings is the Spanish royal family. IMHO this doesn't mean that they are the only royals who meet with foundations or others though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom