The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

It wasn't the RAF uniform but the black bow one of the Irish Guards that he wanted to wear and did wear for the drive back to Clarence House.

Look at today- William and Harry played polo today. But they didn't just play to play. The played to raise funds for their charities.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Exactly. People seem to think that William rules in the RF and everyone just falls into line with what he wants. But, I just don't see how they can think that. I mean, let's remember HM told Charles and Diana to separate and then to divorce. She can put her foot down.
She can put her foot down and occasionally does, but we have conflicting information on that subject. HM is reputed to bury her head in the sand on some things and not interfere or intervene until it becomes unavoidable. Though she ultimately told Charles and Diana to divorce, it took a jolly long time for her to get sufficiently motivated to interfere in their private lives and a lot of damage had been done by that stage.

We don't know what aspects of William's life she is advising him about as his grandmother but ultimately allowing him to make his own decision, and what aspects she is dictating to him about as Queen. And I also tend to think that a large and loud and determined grandson might be able to get his own way with a very elderly grandmother when he really makes up his mind about something.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I am certain that there are times she takes his thoughts/opinions into consideration since he will one day be the king, however Charles is the heir, he's the one helping run the show. The Queen seems anything but a elderly grandmother. She seems very much in control.

Personally I think the Queen wants to avoid putting William and Kate into a situation like Diana was tossed into...I think she wants them to have time to gradually come into their 'jobs' and strengthen their marriage along the way not to mention giving them time to have children without that workload we saw the Wales's take on.

LaRae
Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
She can put her foot down and occasionally does, but we have conflicting information on that subject. HM is reputed to bury her head in the sand on some things and not interfere or intervene until it becomes unavoidable. Though she ultimately told Charles and Diana to divorce, it took a jolly long time for her to get sufficiently motivated to interfere in their private lives and a lot of damage had been done by that stage.

We don't know what aspects of William's life she is advising him about as his grandmother but ultimately allowing him to make his own decision, and what aspects she is dictating to him about as Queen. And I also tend to think that a large and loud and determined grandson might be able to get his own way with a very elderly grandmother when he really makes up his mind about something.
"As I learned from growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother."

I love that quote.

I'm sure there is give and take between the Queen and her grandson and they both listen to each other but I would surmise that in matters concerning the monarchy and the Firm, The Queen's decision is one William would honor and respect and follow. I think that William would also be the same with his father.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I am certain that there are times she takes his thoughts/opinions into consideration since he will one day be the king, however Charles is the heir, he's the one helping run the show. The Queen seems anything but a elderly grandmother. She seems very much in control.

Personally I think the Queen wants to avoid putting William and Kate into a situation like Diana was tossed into...I think she wants them to have time to gradually come into their 'jobs' and strengthen their marriage along the way not to mention giving them time to have children without that workload we saw the Wales's take on.

LaRae

If that's the case, then she needs to say it publically. The press have put out very negative stories about William and Catherine over the past 2 days. Royal watchers might know that the content has been 99.9% rubbish but most people would take it at face value.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

I wanna say if as you say William became or was to strident or insistent with his grandmother about his wishes Phillip would step in at some point and theirs no arguing with that force of nature.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

The headlines have been bad for the Cambridges but royal headlines are always misleading.

I don't think this will have any long term impact because in the big picture, other royals less popular than W&K have endured much worse.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Royal Highness

William did not attend Ascot but he always finds time to play polo or to attend a sports related event. He also didn't attend any of the garden parties.

His royal duties seem to center around him and not the family.

If the stories are true about him only working parttime as a royal so that he can fly again then why did they spend £4 million on a KP apartment?
Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Sine when is attending Royal Ascot a royal duty?

The Queen spent £4 million on KP as it came from the Sovereign Grant
Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

When he and Harry play polo they are raising money for charities that they support. Look at their shirts.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William did not attend Ascot but he always finds time to play polo or to attend a sports related event. He also didn't attend any of the garden parties.

His royal duties seem to center around him and not the family.

If the stories are true about him only working parttime as a royal so that he can fly again then why did they spend £4 million on a KP apartment?
His polo is to support his charities. Ascot is not a royal event except for HMQ and DoE. When he attends football matches he does so as the PResident of the FA and rugby as President (or Patron) of Welsh Rugby Union.

Attendance at RGP's is at the invitation of the Queen.

If he takes up the position with the Air Ambulance that means he is using his skills (some people who complained about the waste of his training) for a charity.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
If that's the case, then she needs to say it publically. The press have put out very negative stories about William and Catherine over the past 2 days. Royal watchers might know that the content has been 99.9% rubbish but most people would take it at face value.

Really ....I generally thought the Queen did not say such things or even acknowledge these sorts of stories. You can't win with the media.

Quite frankly it's really not a concern to anyone but the Queen. If her grandson is shirking his duties she will address it.

LaRae
Old 06-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

if she said something "informally" such as she's very proud of what he was doing or was quoted as saying that, it would help a lot.

assuming of course all these rumours are true

Old 06-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
What William and Katherine do in terms of royal appearances and duties are decided by either Claridge House or Buckingham Palace. They have input, but the extend of their duties are controlled by the Queen and POW. If the Queen decides they must do 60+ hours a week, then she will let them know.
Personally, I think the Queen and Prince Charles want William and Kate to enjoy being parents will performing their royal duties. Something neither of them were able to do.
So true. So many people don't understand this and as a result feel the Cambridges aren't doing enough. If they have a complaint, complain to HM and the POW.

Reading some of the posts it seems that whatever Kate and William do they're going to have someone bashing them. And since when did the Daily Mail become a "news source". Rumour source is more like it.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Aristocracy

There are some who say the queen was too slow in forcing Charles and Diana to divorce, she could of saved the RF lots of embarrassment by acting sooner. There is more negative press regarding 30'somethings who don't have proper full time work and just coast through life waiting for the day when they become the heir to a throne. If Charles and the Queen are any indication, then W&C have a very long wait. So provide a good example to other people of their generation and stop leaching off the parents, get a job! This is not about showing the world they can recycle clothes, fly economy or take their own photos, this is about showing the world They Are Not Afraid To Work Hard!! This says I may have money & a title BUT are not afraid to do a hard days work.

A question: When, at what age, is it acceptable for W&C to work full time/more than they do now?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Its not so much their age but position in the family. William is the Queen's grandchild, not her son.

The more royal engagements they undertake, the more money it costs for travel and additional staff and there is believe it or not only so much money to go around.

Charles is funding 5 senior royals from his income and the Queen funds the rest.

I think W&K and Harry will gradually take on more but not much because adding more people to the payroll without some retiring isn't an option.

Charles would have to either cut back or the money just isnt there

Quote:
But the heir to the throne may struggle to foot the growing bill if Prince William, Kate, and Prince Harry end up taking on much more royal work as the Queen and Prince Philip slow down.
Charles's principal private secretary William Nye conceded that his boss would have to look carefully at how much he could continue to fund the activities of the three younger royals in addition to his and Camilla's duties if the balance of work changed.
That may come to a head if William decides in September to quit his job as an RAF search and rescue helicopter pilot and become a fulltime working royal. "Whatever the Duke of Cambridge's plans, the Prince of Wales would have to look carefully at how he continues to fund the official activities of the staff and support for the five senior members of the Royal Family whom he is paying for," said Mr Nye.
Prince Charles paid £1m a year to support Prince William and Harry in official duties | Royal | News | Daily Express

Charles private secretary says as much here
Old 06-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Also I mean- isn't being a full time air ambulance pilot a full time job that involves hard work? I don't see why William taking a new full time job has people crying work-shy.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see the need for Harry to leave the army for full time royal life. Andrew stayed in the navy for many years as the second son of the monarch so even when Charles becomes King. Harry could still remain in the military.

If William and Kate do around 200 engagements year that would be 400 so around what Anne and Charles do a year number wise. I don't think they would have to increase their staff. If they do 2 foreign tours a year, if one is to a realm country that would be paid for by the country.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen had more working royals at her disposal than Charles will have so Andrew was spared and I'm quoting directly Charles's private secretary and he says the money just isn't there if the balance of work shifts.

When William is needed full-time it will be for Harry as well. Harry will be expected to shoulder almost as big a role as his brother.

Flying an air ambulance and continuing royal engagements as he has been doing is perfectly acceptable for a modern royal.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

You lose the Queen and Philip, they are replaced by Charles and Camilla. William and Kate take over as Prince and Princess of Wales. You still have Charles's siblings. The Duke of Gloucester is slightly older than Charles. The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandria will be the first of the cousins to stop royal duties so there isn't a huge hole right away for Harry to fill.

Harry isn't going to be as important as William is. He is going to be like Andrew and get pushed down as George and his future siblings get older. In the early years of the Queen's reign, Margaret was heavily involved but as Charles and Anne became adults she wasn't.

Closed Thread