Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the word 'frequently', not 'constantly'. The holiay image has been controversially linked to both for years, and the holidays you mentioned are the holidays we know about. Same goes for the 'behind the scenes' work that many people claim the couple do - but what you don't see, you don't know.

As the Queen herself said, "I have to be seen to be believed."

Whatever happened about the reports that William would be working with the foreign office? Or was that just a rumor?

According to the royal correspondents, William have several options to consider. I just hope whatever he do on the side, it won't effect his and Catherine's royal duties and engagements. I think retreating from their official duties would be a misstep.

Well I hope that Catherine solo trip to Malta is also a sign that if William is taking up a full time job. That she will making more appearances. I honestly think it will be Catherine that will be doing the majority of the Cambridges duties. :flowers:

Well I hope that Catherine solo trip to Malta is also a sign that if William is taking up a full time job. That she will making more appearances. I honestly think it will be Catherine that will be doing the majority of the Cambridges duties. :flowers:

If he take a full-time job (which I think should be part-time) I think Catherine should up her official duties. When he was working in the SAR, they were both missing from official engagements for months at a time.

I think one thing we have to keep in mind is that no matter what is announced that William will be doing, it will be with the blessing of the Queen and the Firm.

:previous: I'm not convinced the Queen has that much power over the young ones. I think it is more influence and less power. The young ones are more willful IMO. I think the fact that William has decided to go back to flying instead of full time royal duties as previously planned proves it.

Diana did her first solo overseas visit in 1982 just over a year after the wedding. It was very straight forward as it was Princess Grace's funeral. She was only 21. I think Kate has more than enough experience to do this visit.

:previous: I'm not convinced the Queen has that much power over the young ones. I think it is more influence and less power. The young ones are more willful IMO. I think the fact that William has decided to go back to flying instead of full time royal duties as previously planned proves it.

How do you know what was previously planned? They never said William was going to go full time. It was always transition year to a job in public service. Until William becomes Duke of Cornwall, he is financially on tied to the purse strings of his dad and to a lesser extent his grandma so they do have influence on what he does.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The young ones can be as willful as they like but, they are totally aware that Grandma is The Queen. Any official duties they carry out they do so with her approval and I can't see them staging a revolution in the family. The Monarchy is not a democracy within itself. It is, in fact, run by a despot. A benevolent despot but a despot none the less.

HM rules and, if the young ones start yanking her chain she is more than able to give them an instant reality check. What she says goes and Charles, Ann and Andrew will ensure their children toe the line. A word where necessary would find them all but on home detention. If HM says she "wishes" so and so to stand down from any royal engagements then that's it. They're effectively grounded. Worse, she could charge them market rent for their homes . . . ouch!

I believe William is going through a very difficult transition, far harder than he had anticipated. Having resigned his commission in the RAF he now finds himself adrift. We have heard all sorts of gossip about him joining the Air Ambulance or such like and nothing has come to public notice as yet. That he misses flying is a given but, it was also his choice to resign without a clear alternative career path.

I was surprised he did it especially since I remember an interview with Prince Charles where he commented on the fact that there was no job description for being the Prince of Wales. He had to make it up as he went and, he had to make it matter. Being the heir's heir is an even more ambiguous situation and William appears to be utterly directionless. That is not to say he is but thats how it looks.

:previous: I see your point about the "rent free" situation. That would indeed be an "ouch" moment, and as you say, one option the Queen could take. However, she does need them. At least Henry and Will . They are the future of the monarchy and as such, she will have to compromise I think (must be an interesting negotiation table). Add to that, they need to meet government/public expectations regarding their work as royals (as they too are financial supporters).

I do agree with you about Williams appearance of being at a loose end. He took a year off and still seems to at a loss somehow. About a year ago all the talk was about William embracing full time work as a royal after resigning from his job. That plan was never denied so I, along with many, expected it to happen. Was that not the reason why their city dwelling was renovated? Were they not to be based there because of work? But now it appears that they may be based in their country home...

But you are right. These homes would not happen unless the queen (and to some extent the tax payer) was financially supporting them and as such they must tow the line to a great extent.

I think this would frustrate William. He is not altogether free to make choices he really wants. I wonder would he ever consider giving it all away to have a free life?

:previous:

Why would he accept his titles and allow, the Queen to make all his children HRH during her reign. He has accepted the Garter and Thistle. He has done a course at Cambridge to prepare for becoming Duke of Cornwall. This is not someone who is about to give it up.

His admiration and loyalty for his grandmother is too strong to give it up. William is only second in line to the throne. He has a lifetime of duties ahead of him. He is just trying to find a role for himself. If it air ambulance then good for him. Why should he dedicate all his time to royal duties now? When he has all that to do as heir and King.

. . . . . . He is not altogether free to make choices he really wants. I wonder would he ever consider giving it all away to have a free life?
He's had his whole life to prepare for his future and still seems to not being reconciled to his destiny and, while he could "give it all away", he cannot "give it all away" for his son!

About a year ago all the talk was about William embracing full time work as a royal after resigning from his job. That plan was never denied so I, along with many, expected it to happen.

But it was denied in a way, by the announcement that was released from the Prince of Wales website, which stated in part:

"The Duke will work closely over the next twelve months with the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. He will expand his work in the field of conservation, particularly in respect of endangered species.

"The Duke will continue to work with his charities on issues relating to children and young people, veterans and serving members of the Armed Forces. The Duke is currently considering a number of options for public service, a further announcement on which will follow in due course."

It was never announced by anyone in an official capacity that William would be taking up a full-time position as a Royal.

...I believe William is going through a very difficult transition, far harder than he had anticipated...
I agree with all of this, especially the fact that there is no job description for the Prince of Wales let alone one for his son.
I think I am going to just sit tight and wait to see why happens next and embrace whatever William does next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever side job he take on, I just hope there will be a better balance between the job and official royal duties on his and Catherine's part.

But it was denied in a way, by the announcement that was released from the Prince of Wales website, which stated in part:

"The Duke will work closely over the next twelve months with the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. He will expand his work in the field of conservation, particularly in respect of endangered species.

"The Duke will continue to work with his charities on issues relating to children and young people, veterans and serving members of the Armed Forces. The Duke is currently considering a number of options for public service, a further announcement on which will follow in due course."

It was never announced by anyone in an official capacity that William would be taking up a full-time position as a Royal.

And I think the official statement is a true representation of what he has done. Only the press and those that read into this he would be a full time royal are disappointed. Essentially - he hasn't lived up to their inflated projections.

There were never statements about a gap year nor bring a full time royal - both - were fabrications and conclusions from the press. If ... if William actually were to take on rescue helicopter service that may have been something on his radar all along (one of the options of public service) ...just not disclosed at that time.

HM rules and, if the young ones start yanking her chain she is more than able to give them an instant reality check. What she says goes and Charles, Ann and Andrew will ensure their children toe the line. A word where necessary would find them all but on home detention. If HM says she "wishes" so and so to stand down from any royal engagements then that's it. They're effectively grounded. Worse, she could charge them market rent for their homes . . . ouch!

A note here:

The Queen can charge commercial rent for somewhere like Anmer Hall as she owns that but she can't do so for KP as she doesn't own that. Only houses on the Sandringham or Balmoral estates would be down to the Queen to decide if rent has to be paid.

In the 1990s the government of the day made it clear that a non-working royal, other than a very old royal who had worked all their lives, had to pay commercial rent. This was when Diana announced that she was stepping down from her charities. Within days of that announcement she was told that she would have to pay the commercial rent so back to work she went. The same thing with the Michael's of Kent - they pay commercial rent because they don't do royal duties while the Gloucester's next door don't pay commercial rent because they work for the nation.

Do Will and Kate pay commercial rent on KP?

Last edited by a moderator:
William does more royal duties than needed to live at KP.

90 engagements and counting this year

Do Will and Kate pay commercial rent on KP?

No - because they do do royal duties on occasions and the intention is that they will only increase the number that they do in the years ahead.

Diana's situation was that she was going to stop all engagements but then expected a rent-free home - which once pointed out to her wasn't on, even though she had William and Harry living there for a few weeks each year by then (remember they were at boarding school for 40 weeks or so a year and then spent 6 weeks with Charles - not at KP at all and 6 weeks with Diana often on overseas holidays so probably were spending about 2 - 3 weeks a year with her there), she returned to doing some engagements to allow her to have the rent-free apartment.

:previous: I think it's time Papa has a word with his eldest. Rightly or wrongly he is being perceived as workshy with an overwhelming sense of "entitlement" that is doing his image no good at all.

Perhaps the royal spin doctors need to get ahead of the game for a change.

I think the idea is for them to continue increasing their official duties and not decrease them. They are able to do more now than ever before. Their official tours are longer, they can attend the Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps and it seems like they will start participating in State Visits (fingers are crossed for that). They should keep this up and not try to retreat from it.

There's nothing wrong with William having a side job but I don't think it should get in the way of what they really suppose to be doing. It was hard to balance this stuff before.

If Catherine was to carry the same number of engagements as Princess Anne, the media would be complaining what a horrible mother she was.
Much of this is being promoted by the media who want 24/7 access to the Duke and Duchess to sell their papers and magazines.

If the Queen or Prince Charles feel that either should be doing more, they will let them know.

The Cambridge's have gotten the nod for them to do more. William is now carrying out Investitures, they are now conducting more official oversea visits, they are attending State Events like the Reception for the Diplomatic Corps and Catherine may be embarking on her first official solo trip and she attending Royal Garden Parties. Charles is passing down some of his work. There is a need for them to do more.

Doing more doesn't mean taking on the same workload of Princess Anne. The amount of work she do is something that took years to build and a great deal of responsibility handed down to her.

Last edited:
No - because they do do royal duties on occasions and the intention is that they will only increase the number that they do in the years ahead.

Diana's situation was that she was going to stop all engagements but then expected a rent-free home - which once pointed out to her wasn't on, even though she had William and Harry living there for a few weeks each year by then (remember they were at boarding school for 40 weeks or so a year and then spent 6 weeks with Charles - not at KP at all and 6 weeks with Diana often on overseas holidays so probably were spending about 2 - 3 weeks a year with her there), she returned to doing some engagements to allow her to have the rent-free apartment.
Thank you for the information IluvBertie. I hadn't realized all that was involved in Diana remaining at KP

George has been left overnight post Australia- when they went to Strathearn area of Scotland. W&K came up the day before and stayed at Glen Eagle. The nanny is there to take care of George when the Cambridges are working which can be during the day or at night. Central London is very expensive to live there. So she would have to live several hours away from KP and commute in and out.

What happens when baby 2 eventually comes, is it going to share with a toddler George since Nott Cottage is 2 bedrooms? Apt 1A would have to get redone eventually for either the Cambridges or Prince Harry. Plus the Cambridges don't actually own the Balmoral cottage or Amner Hall. The Queen has just given the use of both places.

Hey, maybe Will gets a separate space everywhere because he's really insufferable. :p

P.S. That's a joke. Don't flip out.

And I was in mid-flip before I read your P.S. :p OUCH!!! Hard landing.

Nott Cottage is 2 bedrooms. So that would be one for WK and one for George. Where does the nanny stay on the sofa?

I love how a man who willing risked his life by flying a helicopter in dangerous conditions in Snowdonia is called work shy. So if he takes a full time job helping people as the air ambulance pilot that isn't okay but he should become a professional plaque unveiler/tree planter instead?

Good point. William is not work shy, I do not understand why people can say something so stupid.

I find that some of them will only believe he worked if there is an accompanying photo. Don't think that RAF is going to permit a photographer to be there recording every rescue. "And here is your souvenir photo highlighting when you were plucked off the mountain top. BTW that will be _____________ number of pounds to cover the cost."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom