The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Who are we? Only the reason she continues to hold the exalted position she occupies. Without our acquiescence she would merely be a wealthy old woman.
Fair point, but it is clear that we are happy for her to hold the exalted position she holds.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Aristocracy

And the alternative is ..... William and Kate take his inheritance and retire to the countryside. Nether seem to "need" the limelight or to be the center of attention.
They appear to be people who would happily chuck it and become private citizens. William has been raised to one day become King and I feel that he will do his duty because duty is a big deal to his family - but if given a choice. I don't see either son rushing to put on the Crown.

As for the "older" members. They are your elderly relatives who either live with you or live on the street because they do not have the means to support themselves. Appearing across Britain is their way of "paying back" to the Queen for supporting them - with a home, maintenance, etc. As the sons of the King and eventually the Brothers of the King they did not have "real" jobs (other than serving in the military). You may notice that none of their children lead such a life.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William & Kate should do more royal duties.

The elder members of the family who do not receive as many benefits as W&K should not be doing more than William & Kate.

It will be William who is King then George so William & Kate need to 'step up to plate' now and not wait until promoted to POW to start working.

The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester's son will never be king but the Gloucesters carry more of the work load than W&K.

The 78 year old Duke of Kent is working for the firm while excuses are made for the 30 year olds.

William and Kate need to start contributing to the firm that pays for their upkeep.

If you take the cost of their KP home,their security cost, clothing budget etc divided by the number of duties performed, they do not give a good return for the money.
As usual you forget to point out that Camilla who has been Princess of Wales for ten years also carries out fewer engagements than the Duke of Gloucester.

If you want to call out the Queen's grandchildren thats fine but lets have all the facts, Camilla will no doubt go done in history as the least ambitious PoW.

William is only two spots below Camilla in engagements according to the CC, now you tell me who isn't pulling their weight.??
Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

No one has a gun to the head of the older royals such as Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandria and Duke & Duchess of Gloucester to do engagements. They do because they want to. They could easily tell the Queen that they are going to retire from public life if they want to.

William is doing exactly what they said he would be doing this transitional year- working with Royal Foundation, Cambridge Course plus major tour and we are getting into the busy summer royal time. It is not like he is backpacking through Europe.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Rudolph and Skippyboo - those are great points, but let's not slide off topic and chase Ca,milla or the Gloucesters. We tend to do that. :)
I hold firmly to the belief that the Queen is quite approving of the current contribution of the Windsors and I don't think Charles is far behind her on the topic. And frankly, their opinion matters more than ours on this matter.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Rudolph and Skippyboo - those are great points, but let's not slide off topic and chase Ca,milla or the Gloucesters. We tend to do that. :)
I hold firmly to the belief that the Queen is quite approving of the current contribution of the Windsors and I don't think Charles is far behind her on the topic. And frankly, their opinion matters more than ours on this matter.
I really think your so right about the Queen approving of what PW is doing, after all even though she is is grandmother, the buck stops with her......her final word is what is going to matter the most.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not sure what to make of this - but apparently the Cambridges have appointed an equerry to their household. This occurred earlier this year,

This should be another sign of an increasing yet inevitable focus on royal duties for the couple. But then again............

He is Captain Florian Graham-Watson, an officer from the Irish Guards.

Contrary to what is usual practise, the appointment was never announced in the court circular and only emerged this week when he was mentioned among the Duke and Duchess’s entourage for their engagements in France. He was not mentioned when, according to other sources, he went with them on the NZ/Aus tour

Equerries are appointed from the Armed services to help manage the affairs of members of the Royal Family both privately and in the planning and execution of day-to-day engagements. They dont usually stay for a long period of time - it is part of their training.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I'm not sure what to make of this - but apparently the Cambridges have appointed an equerry to their household. This occurred earlier this year,

This should be another sign of an increasing yet inevitable focus on royal duties for the couple. But then again............

He is Captain Florian Graham-Watson, an officer from the Irish Guards.

Contrary to what is usual practise, the appointment was never announced in the court circular and only emerged this week when he was mentioned among the Duke and Duchess’s entourage for their engagements in France. He was not mentioned when, according to other sources, he went with them on the NZ/Aus tour

Equerries are appointed from the Armed services to help manage the affairs of members of the Royal Family both privately and in the planning and execution of day-to-day engagements. They dont usually stay for a long period of time - it is part of their training.

Which is probably why it wasn't announced. Maybe this is considered an internship type of role for him..to go into a higher position either for them or someone else afterwards.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
As usual you forget to point out that Camilla who has been Princess of Wales for ten years also carries out fewer engagements than the Duke of Gloucester.

If you want to call out the Queen's grandchildren thats fine but lets have all the facts, Camilla will no doubt go done in history as the least ambitious PoW.

William is only two spots below Camilla in engagements according to the CC, now you tell me who isn't pulling their weight.??
Camilla became Princess of Wales in 2005, that will make it 9 years.

Last year Camilla carried out more engagements that the Duke of Gloucester.

Thus far, this year Camilla has nearly 100 & William around 60.

William is expected to inherit the throne & should work for it.
William should be working more than the elderly and senior citizens of the family.

Camilla is nearly 67 vs William who will be 32 in 2 weeks.

Camilla working part time is acceptable for a 67 year old.

William doesn't even work part time only occasionally.

This is unacceptable for a young man.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know that William has much say in it. That is up to the Queen's people and the Queen to determine who will do these engagements.

LaRae
Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
[/B]

Which is probably why it wasn't announced. Maybe this is considered an internship type of role for him..to go into a higher position either for them or someone else afterwards.
It is normally announced, even if it is only for a few weeks or months.

In 2000 The Queen Mother was changing some people in her household almost daily and certainly weekly and they were announced in the CC.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Camilla became Princess of Wales in 2005, that will make it 9 years.

Last year Camilla carried out more engagements that the Duke of Gloucester.

Thus far, this year Camilla has nearly 100 & William around 60.

William is expected to inherit the throne & should work for it.
William should be working more than the elderly and senior citizens of the family.

Camilla is nearly 67 vs William who will be 32 in 2 weeks.

Camilla working part time is acceptable for a 67 year old.

William doesn't even work part time only occasionally.

This is unacceptable for a young man.
Maybe that young man is doing what his grandmother wants him to do....I believe that QE has learned some lessons on how to treat new members of her family since the days of Diana. Maybe she wants him and his family to have more time together as a family before they become full time royals. After all she came to the throne at a very young age with small children and didn't have that time. And doesn't the Queen have final say, after all the buck stops with her as the saying goes. And we the public have no say in her decisions at all.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Royal Highness

Actually William is not a young man but a man who should be in his prime working years.

Also, his mother was not mistreated nor overworked. (Check out O'Donovan's stats.)

IMO, if the Queen/DOE weren't pushing, William would have stayed in Wales.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Actually William is not a young man but a man who should be in his prime working years.

Also, his mother was not mistreated nor overworked. (Check out O'Donovan's stats.)

IMO, if the Queen/DOE weren't pushing, William would have stayed in Wales.
Yes William is a young man with a family now, being young is in the mind of who is deciding he is young, to me, he is still young. Middle age doesn't start till say 50's.
I never said that Diana was overworked, and yes she was mistreated by the Firm.......her husband clearly did not love nor support her, heavens all the papers during their marriage showed/stated that fact. The firm threw her in and it was sink or swim with no instructions, she almost sank and somehow got the guts to swim and she out swam Charles by oceans(my opinion as all of us are allowed here). Being mistreated can be done in many ways such as emotional, mental and verbal mistreatment.

Maybe William would have stayed in Wales, we really don't know for we weren't in on that conversation so we can only assume that. He was clearly happy there, he found a place at that time where he felt he was doing something more then shaking hands all the time, he worked and saved lives along with all the men at that station, he found friendships and was treated as an equal(seeing him make his own tea, lunch is being treated as an equal, he didn't have servants with him doing his bidding). There is alot to be said for someone who wants to do that type of job, in helping others...I would hope it makes them feel they are doing something worthwhile in life instead of just sitting on their hands doing nothing all day. Bottom line is, it's the Queen's, DoE and Prince Charles who will advise him on how to proceed with his life to a degree. After all he does know who he is and what is expected of him.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

I totally disagree with your comments about Diana but will not respond as it will be OT.

Princess Alexandra stepped down as patron of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and on May 8th it was announced that Prince Charles was now the new patron.

IMO, it appeared as if the 'firm' asked who wanted the Cystic Fibrosis Trust with everyone looking at W&K and expecting them to volunteer and when neither of them volunteered Charles volunteered.

This could have been an opportunity for William or Kate to pick up another charity but instead Prince Charles was named the new patron.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I totally disagree with your comments about Diana but will not respond as it will be OT.

Princess Alexandra stepped down as patron of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and on May 8th it was announced that Prince Charles was now the new patron.

IMO, it appeared as if the 'firm' asked who wanted the Cystic Fibrosis Trust with everyone looking at W&K and expecting them to volunteer and when neither of them volunteered Charles volunteered.

This could have been an opportunity for William or Kate to pick up another charity but instead Prince Charles was named the new patron.
I think when it comes to W&K's charities, I don't think we're going to be seeing them pick up charities "on the spot" or just step in when someone steps down. William, Harry and Kate have their own Royal Foundation and I think anything that they will add on as far as charities will be within the mission statement of the Foundation. To be honest, I don't think William and Kate turned it down though. If it had happened that they were asked by the Firm to take it on, I would bet my last doughnut that they would have accepted.

We have to remember too that the "Firm" isn't like ordinary employment. Its not a competition to climb the corporate ladder nor is it to gain the most attention and spotlights and who "works" harder. This is a family that represents the monarchy and its Queen. The engagements, appearances and duties are just one way the monarchy serves its people and recognizes the service to the country that people have given.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Heir Apparent

There is no proof that it was offered to William or Kate or that it was opened for volunteers. Maybe Princess Alexandria asked Charles to take it over and he agreed. William took over the Fields in Trust patronage from his grandfather. That was one of Philip's first charity roles after he married. He also took over British Scuba from his father who took over from his grandfather.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Aristocracy

Many of us were spoiled with all the media coverage of Diana and many would prefer to see William or Catherine more in the media spotlight that of Charles or Camilla.

But we are not the ones who makes the decisions as to when and where the Cambridges appear.

Furthermore, it was my understanding that Charles was not happy with the more entertainment type of media coverage of the Cambridges. He wanted more serious activities which is why he took over his sons' PR/media.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Whatever happened to the plan that Wills was to take a position with either the Home or Foreign Office (I can't remember which). Has that fallen by the wayside? Anyone know?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Whatever happened to the plan that Wills was to take a position with either the Home or Foreign Office (I can't remember which). Has that fallen by the wayside? Anyone know?
It is still in the "possible" pile along with air ambulance pilot, charity worker, farmer, and full time royal.

I'm not expecting an announcement until the 12 month "transition" is over in September

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread