Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the complaining is being fueled by the media who need the Cambridges to sell papers. We saw all the media stories when Harry dated Cressie about her being from nobility and implying conflicts between her and the duchess.
It was my impression. That POW is the one limiting the Cambridges public appearances because the media was so focused on the glamour and not their actions

I agree with this sentiment with one addition.... not only their actions, but the actions and appearances of other members of the Royal Family. I don't think it is any coincidence, that neither William nor Kate have had any appearances while Harry was in Brazil and Chile. Unfortunately the reality is if Kate has an appearance in a new dress, shamefully that can pull focus from other more important works. I think her appearances are being limited very judiciously.

It totally makes sense for William, Harry and Kate not undermine each other. Harry wasn't out and about for WK's tour and they weren't for his. Too bad the DM had 3 Cressie and Glastonbury stories instead more Harry stories.

Hmm I don't know what is going on and I do think WnK should do more, but I think it would be a good idea to keep Kate locked up (so to speak) when another member of the family is doing actual important work. It's no her fault but whenever she is seen the attention is going to be on her and what she wears her hair her weight is she pregnant with triplets etc. The media is just that shallow and juvenile, they want to play with their new Ken and Barbie and draw them up to sell headlines. It is curious to me that Kate rarely changes her hair and recycles clothes, like she is purposely trying to be the anti Diana and is purposely trying to bore photographers.

Hmm I don't know what is going on and I do think WnK should do more, but I think it would be a good idea to keep Kate locked up (so to speak) when another member of the family is doing actual important work. It's no her fault but whenever she is seen the attention is going to be on her and what she wears her hair her weight is she pregnant with triplets etc. The media is just that shallow and juvenile, they want to play with their new Ken and Barbie and draw them up to sell headlines. It is curious to me that Kate rarely changes her hair and recycles clothes, like she is purposely trying to be the anti Diana and is purposely trying to bore photographers.

Lol, no, Catherine can't be locked up. Despite the attention her hair and wardrobe get, Catherine is third lady of the land and must carry on and do her official duties.

Nobody can control what the media writes and focus on but it's up to everyone else to focus on what's real and important. The attention of the royal ladies wardrobe is nothing new. The late Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, The Queen, Princess Anne, Princess of Wales, Duchess of York and Countess of Wessex have all gone through this. The attention to what the ladies are wearing even go back further. Now it's happening to Catherine and it's going to happen to Harry's future wife and other royal ladies down the road. It's just the reality of what royals have to deal with. The most important thing is that their work as senior royals make a difference no matter what.

It is curious to me that Kate rarely changes her hair and recycles clothes, like she is purposely trying to be the anti Diana and is purposely trying to bore photographers.

Interesting idea.

Last edited:
I've been saying something along those lines for a couple years now. I think there has been very much a deliberate attempt to not draw attention or as little as possible considering who she is.

LaRae

:):)You have the best insight into William and Harry, depression can wreck havoc on a person's life and he has such a heavy responsibility just being born into that family let alone anyone looking out for him emotionally and mentally. He has a deep connection to his mother and I have seen pictures of him with his son and the look was so sad, like he was thinking of her at that moment(just assuming that). None of us are in his shoes and we have passed very harsh judgements on him for not working, I say, walk in his shoes(been told that my entire life when judging another) and see the pressure he is under, it's not all fun and games, servants, cars, palaces and money for him. He was born to this, so it's not his fault as we can't chose our parents.

Thank you. I know many won't agree, but I think it is obvious from his body language. He does not seem to be in a good place right now. :sad:

Interesting idea.

I think she's just a boring individual. She hasn't grown or experienced life beyond a tight little circle. She really should take the advice of professional dressers. If she does not, the public is going to lose interest in her, in my opinion.

So you know her personally then? You must do to be able to decide she's a "boring individual".

I think the issue for Kate is not that people are or will lose interest, it's actually that they're too interested. Every time she sets foot out of the house there are several DM articles often with 1,000+ comments, just to cite one media source.

The day after an appearance there's almost always a picture of her on the front page of most of the British papers. As an example, after attending Wimbledon today, Kate is on the front pages of tomorrow's editions of: The Times, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror and the Daily Star (the front pages are on Twitter the night before the day of print).

If she was so "boring" none of that would happen.

I think she's just a boring individual. She hasn't grown or experienced life beyond a tight little circle. She really should take the advice of professional dressers. If she does not, the public is going to lose interest in her, in my opinion.

so because she doesn't have a professional dresser, you feel she is a boring individual? I think her greatest wish would be for people to stop focusing on her clothes and stop pointing cameras in her face 24/7. I think she has intentionally made her working wardrobe conservative and appropriate.. i.e. boring - hoping to steer focus to the issues.

I have a suggestion. Before you reject the boring label out of hand, think about it. In context, I thought it was a snarky comment on the forums.
But, out of context, and given the fact that the press leaps all over every Kate photo op, while largely ignoring the other royals as they go about their work, I do think that the strategy is to head for the dull side.
IMO, you will never see Kate in a Maxima moment where she pushes buttons and fashion boundaries. NOT GOING THERE.
And we are off topic. Sorry mods!

Last edited:
The forum used to be interesting - its now full of people who's only interest is either clothes or making detrimental statements about women who have married into Royal families but are not noble.

Its not just Catherine and the BRF, but Mette-Marit, Camilla, Mary, Maxima (in the beginning) and now Sofia.

Most of what has been said on here today is just plain nasty.

The forum used to be interesting - its now full of people who's only interest is either clothes or making detrimental statements about women who have married into Royal families but are not noble.

Its not just Catherine and the BRF, but Mette-Marit, Camilla, Mary, Maxima (in the beginning) and now Sofia.

I agree 100%. It is beginning to remind me of the forums I left before coming here!

It's becoming like Royal Dish, and that's terrible.

I agree - people used to try to make a point without hurling rotten fruit (most often). So, Cepe, when you figure out what the new, well mannered royal forum is, please let me know.
My guess would be that views are up - as is advert revenue. Mods, please correct me if I am wrong.
One of the Mods on another contentious thread noted that there were not a lot of complaints raised. So - that little red/black explanation point above and to the right of a post is there for YOU to use when you think people are not being respectful or are spreading pure speculation. If we don't act - the mods will let it go on - that seems to be the message.
And never be afraid to figure out some creative way to dampen the napalm bombing that has become so popular. While remaining respectful. It actually can be quite entertaining. IMHO :p
And I am totally off topic.

So you know her personally then? You must do to be able to decide she's a "boring individual".

I think the issue for Kate is not that people are or will lose interest, it's actually that they're too interested. Every time she sets foot out of the house there are several DM articles often with 1,000+ comments, just to cite one media source.

The day after an appearance there's almost always a picture of her on the front page of most of the British papers. As an example, after attending Wimbledon today, Kate is on the front pages of tomorrow's editions of: The Times, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror and the Daily Star (the front pages are on Twitter the night before the day of print).

If she was so "boring" none of that would happen.

If we all had to know the Royals personally in order to have an opinion and make a comment, the royal message boards would fall silent.

No, I do not *personally* know her, but I've kept up with her since she first appeared on the scene skiing with William. I think that she is a shadow of the person now that she was then. Why, I have no clue. Her dresses are not custom made and so often hems are uneven, sleeves are too short, stitching is messy. The waistline on a lot of her dresses don't seem to hit her properly.

Her hair which could be a marvelous asset to her simply hangs about her face. She is lovely when she pulls it back in a ponytail or bun. She could be so adventurous with that head of hair.

She seems pleasant enough on her engagements, but she just seems frightened or insecure. I wish she could be more charismatic. She seemed to be more charismatic in her university years. And the number of her engagements is rather low. What does she do on her off time?

She does get a lot of attention in the media. She's new and young and attractive. But I've noticed a lot of criticism in comments by readers and even some media stories are tiliting toward back-handed compliments.

This is not good for the monarchy. I hope she gets herself sorted out.

so because she doesn't have a professional dresser, you feel she is a boring individual? I think her greatest wish would be for people to stop focusing on her clothes and stop pointing cameras in her face 24/7. I think she has intentionally made her working wardrobe conservative and appropriate.. i.e. boring - hoping to steer focus to the issues.

The post I quoted made reference to how Kate rarely changes her hairstyle and recycles her clothes, perhaps in an attempt to bore the media. I said, well, maybe she just really is boring.

I think a good conservative working wardrobe is a tailored suit. I'd love to see her move into that style of dressing and away from the housewife dresses.

Boring? I don't think so. When she is out and about on engagements, her role is not to be entertaining the media and the public but to actually be focused on where she is and what she is there for. The media coverage and the public's interest in her hair, wardrobe etc are the backdrop for what she is doing.

I'm sure that if she really wanted to, she could work at playing dog and pony show for the media and change her hairstyle every week or do wonders for fashion houses by wearing something new and haute coutoure at every drop of the hat or even take up making gaffes like our beloved Duke of Edinburgh does. It is her role that she is playing to though. She knows she is part of a team. She knows what happens when one becomes an icon in the eyes of the world and she definitely knows she has enough confidence in herself that what the media and public think don't really matter when it comes to fulfilling her role of wife, mother and supportive member of the British Royal Family.

Oh geesh... I think I have describe the Anti Di. that expression is starting to really grow on me. :D

Waitadoggone minute! Uh... this is the what's next for William thread. How did it derail into a Kate conversation?

Last edited:
I think she looks very comfortable with the media and dealing with the public.

Her clothing is often off the rack so we do see some items that don't fit so well on her long torso...I don't know why she doesn't get them tailored.

I really do think she downplays her image most of the time because she wants to avoid the craziness that went on with Diana...who would want to live with that?? I am sure William wants to avoid that as well.

LaRae

...She does get a lot of attention in the media. She's new and young and attractive.
The reason she is on the front pages today is not about her, but her facial reactions to Andy Murray losing, which made good pix. Just using her for another story. She was not on the front pages for her charity the day before.

She is, as specified by the palace, not a full time royal and neither is her husband. She will never take on full time duties before him, IMO.

People might not like it (please if anyone doesnt - could you just start thread which says "reasons why I dont like D&D of Cambridge" - it would make things easier for the rest of us).

But, hey, thats the way it goes.

It isnt about HER - its about HIM. She follows his life. If he decides not to be full time then neither will she. She will make a home for him and have another couple of kids. I like that idea.

They will not become full time until either the Queen or (possibly) the DoE dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I mean she is the anti Diana. She doesn't seem to be here to be fawned over and admired by the faceless masses. She is part of a 2 pronged team, her and William and her and the royal family. She doesn't want to be the star and why should she. The only thing talked about is what she wears.
I think both William and Kate are boring people and that's how they like it. I respect them for not putting in a show for the mob. They are around to represent the country, not entertain them.

Also unlike Diana, Kate had a stable family life and has brought William into her family closeness.

(snip)
She seems pleasant enough on her engagements, but she just seems frightened or insecure. I wish she could be more charismatic. She seemed to be more charismatic in her university years. And the number of her engagements is rather low. What does she do on her off time?
(snip)
I'm guessing you don't have children or your children are so old that you don't remember how much time and energy it takes to take care of a one-year old boy. (by the way, I think having a child is "experiencing life.")

This thread is about William's future. It is obvious to me that William and Catherine are spending their "off time" concentrating on their family. There is no need for William or Catherine to make more public appearances. The Queen is active and seems to be in good health. The royal family has survived for the last 10 years without William or Catherine being full-time and I don't see any reason why that has to change in the foreseeable future.

I'm guessing you don't have children or your children are so old that you don't remember how much time and energy it takes to take care of a one-year old boy. (by the way, I think having a child is "experiencing life.")

This thread is about William's future. It is obvious to me that William and Catherine are spending their "off time" concentrating on their family. There is no need for William or Catherine to make more public appearances. The Queen is active and seems to be in good health. The royal family has survived for the last 10 years without William or Catherine being full-time and I don't see any reason why that has to change in the foreseeable future.

Because then people won't have their pretty Ken and Princess Barbie to play with and look at and talk about how pretty they are.

Your guess is wrong. ;)

In any event, the queen is an elderly woman and is cutting back. The Prince of Wales and his wife are pensioner age. I would think this is the perfect time for William and his brother to be stepping into the Firm to help out. William has three homes by virtue of his royal position: a cottage at Balmoral, an apartment at Kensington Palace, and Anmer Hall. If he has the perks, he should be seen pulling his weight.

I think that in the absence on any communication whatsoever about what lies in the immediate future for this couple. I say couple because the shape of their future will ultimately depend on William and the choices he makes.

There was a bit of a lull after he resigned (somewhat surprisingly) from the the RAF. Everyone waited for some word as to his future. Then came the announcement that he was taking what is essentially a gap year and once again there was a kind of lull.

There were expectations that following on the heels of a fantastic tour of New Zealand and Australia they would just continue on the same, only in the UK. That didn't happen again there was another lull.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere the tabloids were all trumpeting the news that William would return to his first love, flying helicopters and, more interestingly, for a civilian rescue service. But there is nothing but deafening silence from any royal quarters.

So, with an papers and magazines to sell and no William and Catherine news of any kind, any and every single thing about both William and Catherine is now considered news, liberally sprinkled with speculation and ladled out with a liberal sprinkling of spice.

Everyone has ideas as to what is expected of the heir but William is the heir's heir and there isn't an SOP for that, basically everyone is just thinking out loud.

The issue of William considering his options in terms of public service or pondering his future etc has became something of a problem for me, especially in light of the fact that no other country with a monarchy seems to have the same problem as we do.
As I've indicated on another thread (or possibly more including this one, I can't remember), William's status is lower than that of, say, the Princess of Asturias and the Princess of Orange and in my view, until he is elevated to Prince of Wales, I have come to realise that he shouldn't be in the public eye at all.

Logically or more likely illogically speaking, either the Queen should abdicate immediately in order for William to take on a proper, full-time, public role as Prince of Wales, or he should take up a full-time job flying helicopters or being governor general of one of the other nations of the realm, or a spy for M15 or something with some bones to it.

Obviously, as we all know only too well, Her Majesty will never abdicate (and no one is allowed even to suggest that she does) and very nice for her too to have a proper constitutional role, but she must realise that her stoical insistence on remaining on the throne has it's apparent consequences for her heirs. I wonders what advice she might be giving William on his apparent deliberations or what options she suggests he might take.

As I've indicated on another thread (or possibly more including this one, I can't remember), William's status is lower than that of, say, the Princess of Asturias and the Princess of Orange and in my view, until he is elevated to Prince of Wales, I have come to realise that he shouldn't be in the public eye at all.

I disagree with that. Everyone knows that William is the next King after Charles' (short) reign, no matter how he is styled.

He (and his wife) needs to be in the public eye with a proper agenda and not give the impression that he is workshy or without a clue about what he wants to do.

I agree with Marg, communication re Willams future is desastrous.

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

William is doing what was said last year - he is focusing on various projects and royal duties. Until the next announcement, we don't know and all of this hiding in Norfolk to fly is speculative.

While the Queen and the DoE are old, they are not slowing down. They were busy up in Scotland. No one can make them slow down but themselves. Even if something happened to the Queen and a regency is needed that isn't something William would do.

As for the PoW, he maybe a pensioner but he also a workaholic. That a good and bad thing. Maybe with George becoming a toddler, it will help Charles mellow and relax with his own grand kid for a bit instead of trying to save the planet for him all the time.

Look at this week for WK, medical conference, engagement for K, Nat History Museum visit for WKG, Wimbledon, Thistle service for W, Tour de France launch with Harry.

It was pretty busy with both private and public events.

William and Kate have time right now when there lives are still somewhat their own. That can change at anytime. Why not spend it how they want. Whatever decisions made will be with the consultation of the Queen and PoW.

Last edited:
I think the idea is for them to focus on their royal duties and charitable causes.

The side job that William probably take on I think would be something that's going to prepare him for his future Kingship. One of the many options is working at the Commonwealth Office. The official Commonwealth tours seems to be passing on to the younger royals, so it's possible that William could work in that field and expand his role within the Commonwealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom