Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I do not understand why William resigned his commision in the RAF. There were no obvious external pressures for him to do so and, having done so, he seems to be at somewhat of a lose end

For all any of us know there could be a grand plan but if there is, then the BRF PR and Information Office is obviously not attaining it's objectives because, for all intents and purposes, it looks as if William is basically sitting on his duff complaining about the media. Rudderless! Directionless! Cast adrift without compass on an ocean of royal possibilities! Tossed by the winds, this way, that way![sic] (B5).

When he metaphorically washes up on shore I'll be sure to take an interest but just this moment his public persona is about as interesting as watching the paint dry.

For all any of us know there could be a grand plan but if there is, then the BRF PR and Information Office is obviously not attaining it's objectives because, for all intents and purposes, it looks as if William is basically sitting on his duff complaining about the media. Rudderless! Directionless! Cast adrift without compass on an ocean of royal possibilities! Tossed by the winds, this way, that way![sic]

Or it could simply be that they're not telling the media or anyone what the long range plans are. They have to know that the public is clamoring for more, More, MORE Will and Kate but as they are still in the position of being grandchildren and heir to the heir, they're trying to keep the information at a minimum. That's my guess anyways.

To be honest I do not understand why William resigned his commision in the RAF. There were no obvious external pressures for him to do so and, having done so, he seems to be at somewhat of a lose end

For all any of us know there could be a grand plan but if there is, then the BRF PR and Information Office is obviously not attaining it's objectives because, for all intents and purposes, it looks as if William is basically sitting on his duff complaining about the media. Rudderless! Directionless! Cast adrift without compass on an ocean of royal possibilities! Tossed by the winds, this way, that way![sic] (B5).

When he metaphorically washes up on shore I'll be sure to take an interest but just this moment his public persona is about as interesting as watching the paint dry.

I like William a lot, but I agree entirely. He should have stayed in the RAF, maintained a low-ish profile and enjoyed a relatively normal-ish life as we are always lead to believe he wants. Instead, he is knocking about in the media spotlight with ex-footballers!
If there is a grand plan, then it's not a very good one because as we all know, PR in Great Britain is always spin and rubbish and like the preverbal swan - serene above the water and flapping about aimlessly underneath the surface.

It is not necessarily William's fault, because he is more constrained by his position than he would like and is is being ill-advised. Let us not forget, William's profile is technically higher than it ought to be - he is in the same position, royally speaking, as Prince Christian of Denmark or Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway......and lower in terms of position than the Princess of Orange or the Princess of Asturias. Put into that context, he should hardly be in the media spotlight at all.

It's obvious that there was internal, not external, pressure for William.

The situation a year ago was very different from today situation. Last year health of prince Filip caused fears. He was in hospital several times. The queen too spent one night in hospital. It's obvious that Filip's death would affect the queen very negatively including her ability to carry out functions of the monarch. Therefore a year ago the Firm prepared for the worst scenario.
In that situation William wasn't allowed to sign new three-year contract. Transition year would allow William to replace Charles at any moment.
But now the situation has changed. The queen and prince Filip are fit and active, they don't need any extra help.
Therefore prince William (and The Firm's advisers) looks for a suitable role in this new situation.

It's obvious that there was internal, not external, pressure for William.

The situation a year ago was very different from today situation. Last year health of prince Filip caused fears. He was in hospital several times. The queen too spent one night in hospital. It's obvious that Filip's death would affect the queen very negatively including her ability to carry out functions of the monarch. Therefore a year ago the Firm prepared for the worst scenario.
In that situation William wasn't allowed to sign new three-year contract. Transition year would allow William to replace Charles at any moment.
But now the situation has changed. The queen and prince Filip are fit and active, they don't need any extra help.
Therefore prince William (and The Firm's advisers) looks for a suitable role in this new situation.

I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying here, but if what you say is true about fears for QE2 and DoE's health, then I still do not understand why William could not have signed a further three years. If someone died in that time then William would then have had to break his contract.
William shouldn't have had to live in suspended animation for year just in case Philip had a turn, took a tumble or died.

I think idea is to not wait until somebody is sick and then change plans to help out more. The idea is do be seen helping his aging grandparents now.

Since his exit from his full-time job in the SAR, William has taken on the job of conducting Investitures on behalf of the Queen. He and Catherine are able devote more time and energy into their engagements and charities.They are also able to extend the time of their official tours. It appears they are starting to attend State events like the reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps and will possibly start participating in State Visits for the first time. They weren't able to do a lot of that stuff when he was focused on his military career. It would look very bad to start backing away from the progress they've made so far.

I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying here, but if what you say is true about fears for QE2 and DoE's health, then I still do not understand why William could not have signed a further three years. If someone died in that time then William would then have had to break his contract.
William shouldn't have had to live in suspended animation for year just in case Philip had a turn, took a tumble or died.
Jacknch - I agree with you. I'm less convinced that they family has a firm plan though. I think they are still reacting to circumstances, somewhat. No doubt their own longevity has taught them fate will out.
I do think that the Queen and the POW are firm supporters of the plan to slowly nurture the professional growth of the Cambridges while allowing them a lot of time and space for family time. I think there are general goals around which the pennants flutter.
I've always thought both the Queen and Charles understood what was lost and gained then the Queen took the throne so early in Charles's life. Given the generational plenitude the Commonwealth now enjoys, there is an opportunity to indulge the FAMILY part of the "Country, Church, Family" message the monarchy believes is the strength of the UK.
It's not so much, to me, that William CANNOT give all immediately to the Country, it's that the family chooses that he NEED NOT, just now. Family first, for now.
And there are advantages. Limiting the exposure of the Cambridge family helps them build time and stability in their marriage and increases the likelihood that they will remain together and raise a terrific child/children.
I always thought it quaint that Diana was so concerned that Camilla was the third person in her marriage - when to me it was clear that the real third party was the press. I don't want to drag us off topic, but the press never adds stability to a marriage.
Likewise, if William and Catherine can feel valued in their roles, they will be less likely to concern themselves with what the press/public think. And William clearly feels the value of being connected to relatively normal people in relatively normal work situations. It is how he prefers to function. The Queen felt the same value in making a normal contribution in her war job and at the end of WWII. Who's to say that was unimportant in the formation of her formidable and effective personality. So why not allow William the same growth opportunities?
I do think there are broad developmental plans and limits.
But I would just ask- how many grandparent do you know that deny trusted grandchildren the opportunities they themselves cherished when young. The Queen is driven by and speaks often of her duty to her country. But I never remember her describing how fun it is to lift yet another velvet cloth or pull a velvet curtain. Pride in her country - I am sure she feels that.
But when pride is your driving emotion over 6 decades, you need a deep measure of humility to temper a public personality. I think William is being allowed to nurture his own humility.
We can only imagine - but this is what runs through my head on the subject.

The problem that William seems to be having now is finding a full time role for himself, he seems undecided between a flying career and royal duties. This, along with taking a transitional year out, gives his critics reason to see him as workshy. Harry, however, seems to have the perfect balance between military, royal and charitable duties.

AdmirerUS;1681097 ... I've always thought both the Queen and Charles understood what was lost [I said:
and gained[/I] then the Queen took the throne so early in Charles's life. Given the generational plenitude the Commonwealth now enjoys, there is an opportunity to indulge the FAMILY part of the "Country, Church, Family" message the monarchy believes is the strength of the UK.
It's not so much, to me, that William CANNOT give all immediately to the Country, it's that the family chooses that he NEED NOT, just now. Family first, for now.
And there are advantages. Limiting the exposure of the Cambridge family helps them build time and stability in their marriage and increases the likelihood that they will remain together and raise a terrific child/children.

(Sorry about weird BBM- don't know why that happened)

Oh, well-said, AdmirerUS! I've always thought the Queen to be a wise woman, and a wise woman learns from her mistakes. Let the Cambridges live their lives for a bit more before they get on the stage for good. They will be better for it, and their lives of service will, too.

... Harry, however, seems to have the perfect balance between military, royal and charitable duties.

Yes, but he has no family life. Finding a suitable mate has eluded him, so he has all the time he needs for everything else.

The problem that William seems to be having now is finding a full time role for himself, he seems undecided between a flying career and royal duties. This, along with taking a transitional year out, gives his critics reason to see him as workshy. Harry, however, seems to have the perfect balance between military, royal and charitable duties.

Except his love life gets front page coverage and his charity work doesn't...and sadly it will prob always be that way because people want to read more about his antics then his good work.

I dont think William should have to please the public...the only people he should think about pleasing is his family...and in that includes his grandma, the queen....so if she's ok with whatever he chooses why can't the public be...that's right...people just like to complain... even when he does go full time people will complain...its gonna end up being like white noise...I don't think thats ever going to stop.

I disagree. William does need to please the public and the press enough to build up goodwill which at the moment, he is very slowly loosing. The press has the power to either make or break you. It wasn't that many years ago that Catherine was miss do-nothing waitie Katie. They need to be very careful. Most people who are married with children, also have full-time jobs and maintain a good family life...and they do it without servants and nannies.

I disagree. William does need to please the public and the press enough to build up goodwill which at the moment, he is very slowly loosing. The press has the power to either make or break you. It wasn't that many years ago that Catherine was miss do-nothing waitie Katie. They need to be very careful. Most people who are married with children, also have full-time jobs and maintain a good family life...and they do it without servants and nannies.
and without the press

Perhaps after marriage, a better move would have been to have kept a low profile like they did in Wales but until William becomes Duke of Cornwall/PoW. They could have moved straight from Wales to Norfolk, and lived mainly private lives like they did previously.

Here is what I think. Royalty serves the people. I am sure BP has ways of verifying what British people expect. Apparently the people want William and Kate to work more on behalf of the Crown. So they should work more. Maybe it is only the press who want them to work more. If that is the case, the Cambridges may keep calm and carry on pursuing whatever activities they fancy.
On the other hand, my personal opinion is that the Cambridges are acting as if they were either clueless or they want to do what they want to do. They should hire a more competent PR to try to enhance the public opinion on them to prove this is not the case and stop sending contradictory messages or maybe give up being in the line of the throne and try to figure out what is their true calling in life.

The public expects different things from Harry, so it's easier for him to find that perfect balance. I hear very few people demanding that he go full-time, while it's something that is thrown at William quite often.

It wasn't too long ago that William was doing the same thing as Harry - balancing military work and royal duties. Yet, people complained that he wasn't doing enough. Harry can do less than 100 engagements a year and it's considered fine, but that doesn't fly for William.

Last edited:
Good point soapstar. Also it appears too often it is forgotten that HM and the DoE have four children and three in-laws who are also working as full time royals on their behalf. As far as I can tell, they seem satisfied with having their own children/in-laws representing them.

I agree with much of cmbruno's point. Today the Queen and Duke are on yet another royal engagements after several very busy weeks and we have barely seen William & Kate in the past two. At the same time, the news is reporting major spends on Kensington Palace /helicopter for the Cambridges so it is understandable the public "want value for their money" and put simply this means seeing William & Kate out and about. Resentment will continue to build unless they are seen to be pulling their weight. It may be the case they are doing private visits but then their PR is letting them down. The mixed messages about William pondering over his future, whether or not all the stories are true, is also unhelpful.

^^^My understanding is that the helicopter lease is for the use of the BRF not just the Cambridges. The newspaper headlines gave a false impression as one of the first royals to use it was Princess Beatrice.

With Harry on tour this week in South America, the Cambridges were always going to keep a low profile. Harry did the same with the Cambridges in Australia and NZ.

Kate is back on 1st, William the 3rd and all 3 together on the 5th for the Tour de France kickoff in Yorkshire.

Right. Plus the Kent and Gloucestershire cousins.

Prince Philip had to give up his naval career permanently when Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II. Also, she had the burdens of state in addition to doing normal royal duties. When the Prince Charles was three years old and his little sister was even younger, their parents immediately started going on long tours abroad. Then in the next generation, Charles and Diana had a high public profile almost as soon as they were married and the cameras were invited into their home for interviews as well as camera calls. This created an insatiable demand for photos and information about the family. It's my feeling that all this contributed to the failure of the Wales marriage in addition to whatever personal problems the couple had. William and Catherine seem to be attempting to reverse this trend, with the apparent blessing of William's father and grand-parents. William seems to love his work as a helicopter pilot, and Catherine likes privacy when they're not on public duty. When they are doing Royal duties, they seem to give 100% while they're there. Therefore, I have no problem whatsoever with seeing them less often than we saw the last Royal generation, because it probably means they'll be a happier and more stable couple down the road than William's parents were. I think that they're likely doing what's best for the long-term, even though we'd like to see more of them now.

Good point soapstar. Also it appears too often it is forgotten that HM and the DoE have four ,eand three in-laws who are also working as full time royals on their behalf. As far as I can tell, they seem satisfied with having their own children/in-laws representing them.

Then in the next generation, Charles and Diana had a high public profile almost as soon as they were married and the cameras were invited into their home for interviews as well as camera calls. This created an insatiable demand for photos and information about the family. It's my feeling that all this contributed to the failure of the Wales marriage in addition to whatever personal problems the couple had. William and Catherine seem to be attempting to reverse this trend, with the apparent blessing of William's father and grand-parents. William seems to love his work as a helicopter pilot, and Catherine likes privacy when they're not on public duty. When they are doing Royal duties, they seem to give 100% while they're there. Therefore, I have no problem whatsoever with seeing them less often than we saw the last Royal generation, because it probably means they'll be a happier and more stable couple down the road than William's parents were. I think that they're likely doing what's best for the long-term, even though we'd like to see more of them now.

I agree with this. My understanding is that the beginning of the 'celebrity' around the BRF - outside of Princess Margaret - began with a documentary the Queen allowed in the late 60's. Rather than being a quaint insight and homey sharing that was accepted politely by the public, it opened up a keen appetite for more such intimate revelations. Charles, when he married, unwittingly wetted that appetite with additional documentaries. They had created a monster - that along with the rise of tabloid journalism a la Rupert Murdock - created a perfect 'monster media' storm. It's possible that the public has now an expectation that such access is a 'right'.

I do have older friends I discuss royalty with and it is their opinion that the Queen, Charles and William (in particular - who lived through that kind of relentless exposure) are attempting to roll back the access that was present in the 80's and 90's.

As one friend has pointed out - and as I have observed - it does not appear possible for Kate (for example) to have a 'normal' public outing, akin to what Sophie of Wessex is able to do. Why that is might be an interesting discussion but it is clear that a line has been drawn and no matter the hectoring of the tabloids trying to smoke them out, the BRF has returned to a more private way of living their lives. I think the spin that the public is 'entitled' to 'value for their money' - meaning in-person displays attended by a phalanx of media - is an idea planted by the tabloids.

The royalty of other countries are far more discreet in their private lives. I think the BRF is trying to get back to a time when that was the case for them, too.

Last edited:
On the other hand, my personal opinion is that the Cambridges are acting as if they were either clueless or they want to do what they want to do. They should hire a more competent PR to try to enhance the public opinion on them to prove this is not the case and stop sending contradictory messages or maybe give up being in the line of the throne and try to figure out what is their true calling in life.

Let's put things into perspective here. William is the most popular royal in the UK. Hard as it seems to believe, very recent polling shows that he is even more popular than the Queen who herself enjoys a job approval rating of 90%+.

William and Kate have to get this right and should always be sensitive to public opinion, but the public have great affection for and confidence in Prince William especially. There is no crisis here.

The problem is that you can't go back. The BRF opened the can but they can't just close it. The best way to deal with it would be for William and Kate to actually do more official engagements as the alternative will be more and more demands for them to appear and increasingly dissatisfied public and the press writing negative stories as they don't have positive ones to write.

If the public turns on them they will be finished.

Polls can change very quickly though - note that the YouGov poll shows an almost 40% increase in support for Camilla being called Queen Consort when Charles ascends the throne inside 6 months after virtually no movement for 9 years.

Polls sample a very small percentage of the population and as reliable as a person believes them to be they have also been known to be wrong - particularly when it is possible to have two polls on the same thing coming up with different results on the same day.

Modern polling is incredibly accurate nowadays. Even with the small sample the margin of error is only +/- 3%.

There can be occasional outliers with polling, but this is not the first poll to show William as the most popular RF member. This has been the case over several years. The fact that William remains more popular than the Queen despite her Jubilee, jumping out of the helicopter at the Olympics, triumphant state visit to Ireland, being voted the greatest living Briton etc. etc., shows that his popularity is remarkably solid.

Most polls from 2002 until Williams engagement in 2010 showed that The Queen despite her age was the most popular member of the royal family. Most of these polls were performed during the golden jubilee and 80th birthday celebrations. In recent years, polls have shown that The Queen and William are the most popular members of the royal family, but the important thing is that HM, Charles and William have approval ratings that politicians can only dream of.

I apologize for the mistakes here, but I'm dyslexic, I write even worse in Norwegian.

The Queen is most admired person in Britain says poll | Royal Central

Another poll 27 july 2013 / ComRes survey for the Sunday Telegraph found. 26 percent said the Queen was the member of the Royal family the most admired, making her the most popular royal, 19 per cent said the Duke of Cambridge, 17 per cent said Prince Harry and 12 per cent the Duchess of Cambridge.

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

The masses are too hard to please and maintain their satisfaction, especially when all the media cares about is clothes romance and looking pretty. I have a few documentaries on my ipod to pass the drudgery at work and I was surprised by how shallow they are. William and Kate in Canada and South Asia focused mostly on her clothes then her clothes a little bit of hair and then some more on her clothes. It's quite sad really. I think William wants a life of more substance and for him that is flying. If there were ever two royals who were never going to have a warm relationship with the media and pander to them it was going to be William and Harry. Not only with what happened to their mom but what happened to Kate in France.
I don't know how i really feel about William continuing to fly. I keep finding myself feeling sorry for him and his father that they are both now stuck in this waiting game and having to find some kind of role that they can do. There are certain people who feel if William isn't a full time royal he is lazy despite the fact that he is doing an actual job.

Last edited:
I think all the complaining is being fueled by the media who need the Cambridges to sell papers. We saw all the media stories when Harry dated Cressie about her being from nobility and implying conflicts between her and the duchess.
It was my impression. That POW is the one limiting the Cambridges public appearances because the media was so focused on the glamour and not their actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom