The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am reminded of the Flintstones with some pterodactyl flying with a passenger cabin on his back, and then remarking dryly to the camera, "it's a living."

If we can love what we do to earn a living, this is the greatest thing on earth.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
I hope William does become a pilot for the air ambulance. Since he is not the first in line to the throne, he faces perhaps 30 or more years of planting trees or unveiling plaques and trying to look fascinated by the inscription. At 65 Charles still faces perhaps 10 or more years of waiting in the wings and even through the Queen is delegating more duties to him, he still has to wait his turn. And with the life longevity experienced by the royals, William faces an equally long period before he becomes king. I've read about how William isn't too excited about becoming king. Having a real career might really help him feel like he is doing something meaningful. He apparently enjoyed his time in the military. Maybe flying again is the best thing for him to do.
The Queen is a wise woman. She knows what her life has been like for 60+ years as Queen. She has seen what Charles' life has been for his entire adult life. Perhaps she feels that William and Catherine will soon become the heirs, and she wishes them to have as much freedom and peace as they can before that happens.

Most parents (grandparents) wish for their children to have better lives than they have had. My grandpa didn't want his kids to be tied to the farm. William's future is certainly decided for him, but perhaps his Granny wants him to enjoy a degree of freedom that she and his father never had. The Monarchy isn't going to fail if William cuts a few less ribbons over the next decade. His grandmother probably wants him to be happy. As long as he lives a dignified life with a sense of obligation and respect for his future subjects, why shouldn't he live a full life until his time comes?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-01-2014, 02:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Richard Kay strike again! Amazing the number of people who believe what he writes.

And he always manages to have a dig at Charles.
Hmm, I think that the 'War of the Wales's' was his "proving ground" and since he is really the 'last man standing' he has some devoted followers who lack the impartiality required to consider he may be wrong or just plain guessing and still believe anything he writes on principle.

His person animous toward Charles is so thoroughly intrenched that I believe he is unaware of how much it skews his writing and thus his credibility outside of his 'fan base'. Let's face it, any time most of us read a DM article we refer to the author before we give it our own personal credibily rating.

Richard Kay is certainly taken a lot less seriously now than he was in his heyday. Most of us are aware that "inside" sources usually have an axe to grind and so now we have William Wobbling about his wife, his job, his future, etc.

I believe that with the lull in any news of great import or inside scandal, Kay is now sizing up Prince William as a subject, and surprisingly, he has discovered, and shared with us, the knowledge that he has a temper like his father and is ambivelent about whether he wants to be a man of the people, a 'Prince' or a 'Mate'.

I await the further character anyalysis with bated breath. Will William still be Diana's perfect possum or will he have become Charles petulant progeny? Find out in next week's thrilling installment . . . . .
Old 06-01-2014, 04:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
The Queen is a wise woman. She knows what her life has been like for 60+ years as Queen. She has seen what Charles' life has been for his entire adult life. Perhaps she feels that William and Catherine will soon become the heirs, and she wishes them to have as much freedom and peace as they can before that happens.

Most parents (grandparents) wish for their children to have better lives than they have had. My grandpa didn't want his kids to be tied to the farm. William's future is certainly decided for him, but perhaps his Granny wants him to enjoy a degree of freedom that she and his father never had. The Monarchy isn't going to fail if William cuts a few less ribbons over the next decade. His grandmother probably wants him to be happy. As long as he lives a dignified life with a sense of obligation and respect for his future subjects, why shouldn't he live a full life until his time comes?

An excellent post - this makes a lot of sense. I'm sure Charles wishes the same for William & Kate too.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Serene Highness

I have thought for a long time now that William's attitude towards a life as a full time royal has been affected by the events of his young life, mostly the way his mother was treated by The Firm and the press. If he is weary of being a full time royal who can blame him........He does seem like a caring husband and father and maybe now that he has a son he is more then weary for he would not want what happened to him to happen to his son. Just my impression, yet is someday he got so fed up and frustrated that he just said to Harry, here the crown is yours....I am done! I would not blame him in the least after all regardless of how much money, power, position or titles he has, nothing there is worth the feeling of helplessness when it comes to protecting his family. The media is relentless in tracking him and his family down like hunted animals, the media in Denmark has done just that lately and now some are really going to suffer what their actions have done to people. Things are getting to a point of out of control with the media and it might be affecting his decisions on what to do with his future.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Courtier

If he intended to give it all up he would not allowed for all his children to have titles.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Serene Highness

In the unlikely event that William gave up his right to accede to the throne, legally he couldn't do the same for Prince George [who remains the next in line to the throne after him].

Prince Henry would only ever accede if both William and George are removed from the scene... {in some terrorist outrage for example}.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

If he gave it up then he would simply be forcing George into the position that much earlier as he can't have George removed from the line of succession until George is 18 and able to officially ask the parliament to do so in his own right.

As for titles - no - Cambridge it William's title and is inheritable. The title of HRH Prince/Princess for his children would have to be readdressed as there were specific LPs issued to give them that styling so those LPs would have to be withdrawn to remove the HRH from any subsequent children but George still qualifies under the 1917 LPs.

In 1936 it was determined that as Edward VIII qualified for HRH Prince under the 1917 LPs he was still a Prince after the abdication. The reason for then giving him a Dukedom was to stop him standing for parliament, if he so desire - as a commoner, and a prince is only a commoner he would have been eligible but as a Duke he would have to sit in the House of Lords (I don't know if he ever took his seat as Duke of Windsor - but he had taken it as Duke of Cornwall so maybe he didn't see the need to take it again).
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I think after his abdication he spent very little time in the UK. At least that's always the impression I have gotten.

LaRae
Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
In the unlikely event that William gave up his right to accede to the throne, legally he couldn't do the same for Prince George [who remains the next in line to the throne after him].

Prince Henry would only ever accede if both William and George are removed from the scene... {in some terrorist outrage for example}.
Your so right, I hadn't thought about George being in line after him, heh, could William as the father of George(the heir) after him, say that he has chosen for George and that he doesn't want any of his children to have the crown...does he have that right? I can see William's frustrations with the media and somehow, even though he smiles nice yesterday, I bet he is boiling mad at them and very angry. A person can only take so much torment from anyone(and he has been tormented by the press his entire life).....when is it enough for him? I mean after all, he did not ask for this in his life, it was chosen the day he was born.....I just feel for him and he probably won't give up the throne, yet I don't see him being very happy with it..........really a sad way to live a life.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If he gave it up then he would simply be forcing George into the position that much earlier as he can't have George removed from the line of succession until George is 18 and able to officially ask the parliament to do so in his own right.

As for titles - no - Cambridge it William's title and is inheritable. The title of HRH Prince/Princess for his children would have to be readdressed as there were specific LPs issued to give them that styling so those LPs would have to be withdrawn to remove the HRH from any subsequent children but George still qualifies under the 1917 LPs.

In 1936 it was determined that as Edward VIII qualified for HRH Prince under the 1917 LPs he was still a Prince after the abdication. The reason for then giving him a Dukedom was to stop him standing for parliament, if he so desire - as a commoner, and a prince is only a commoner he would have been eligible but as a Duke he would have to sit in the House of Lords (I don't know if he ever took his seat as Duke of Windsor - but he had taken it as Duke of Cornwall so maybe he didn't see the need to take it again).
What are LPs? And being Georg's father he has no rights as to his son's future, it is already in place the day he was born, I can understand that is what happened to William because his father/mother would never have a thought like that for him, yet William is different.......he has suffered the press all his life and it's made him angry(remember how is mother was hounded by the press and I bet in some way he feels they are still responsible for her death at day)He grew up with that and something like that is sure to effect his thinking about the press/media.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Courtier

William has accepted the Order of the Garter and the Thistle. He has carried out investitures. He has taken a land management course to prepare himself running the Duchy of Cornwall. This is not a man who is about to give it all up. He may be reluctant but he is dutiful.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Gentry

William has never seemed reluctant to me, I just got the feeling he did not want to step on the Queen's and Charles toes. I also think the Queen and Charles have decided that there is no need to rush him since he is 2nd in line to the throne.

I do think he was a problem with the press and though he tries, he has difficulty letting go of the past(dont blame him). I do think he will have to find a way to work with them though.
Media also have to be honest with themselves and stop with this whole " we don't understand why he shuts the media out" nonsense. Some of them were there during the Diana days, they know what happened and they should understand why he is over protective of Catherine & George.
I also think some of the media wish for the good old days aka the Diana days. They want to have direct access to the cambridge and their friends. They want the scandals and the front page exclusives which are hard to come by these days.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post
William has never seemed reluctant to me, I just got the feeling he did not want to step on the Quuen's and Charles toes. I also think the Queen and Charles have decided that there is no need to rush him since he is 2nd in line to the throne.

I do think he was a problem with the press and though he tries, he has defficulty letting go of the past(dont blame him). I do think he will have to find a way to work with them though.
Media also have to be honest with themselves and stop with this whole " we don't understand why he shuts the media out" nonsense. Most of them were there during the Diana days, they know what happened and they should understand why he is over protective of Catherine & George.
I also think some of the media wish for the good old days aka the Diana days. They want to have direct access to the cambridge and their friends. They want the scandals and the front page exclusives which are hard to come by these days.
I agree with you except most of the royal correspondents today were not around in the Diana days and I think they get fed up being linked to the journos of that time.

As for whether William should be full time, Ive thought a lot about this and my view is the media keep comparing his "lack of duty" with that of the Queen. They forget that she had no choice as her father died, but she and the DoE were expecting another 10-15 years together raising a family iwhilst in the naval service and I think they regret that.

She then asked Charles to leave the navy to support her Jubilee and then didnt give him anything to do. He had to make his own royal life.

As someone said earlier, she is a wise woman and has learnt from her own experience. She wont make the same mistake again.

It is the media who want the Cambridges out there because they sell papers, especially Catherine. HMQ and DoE dont want to take a rest, or a back seat, or slow down. If they wanted to, they would have done. We need to be careful not to believe verbatim what the media write. They resent Williams secrecy (as they see it) and their editors are putting pressure on. Im expecting a backlash from the media because of these issues.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think William is at a point in his life where there are many options to consider and he's not going to make a decision rashly and he's going to take every option he has into deep consideration and talk about them with those that can provide wisdom and insight into the choices (The Queen, Charles, his family etc).

Its not that he does not want the royal life but its a question of when is the best time to step into that spotlight. It might be to their advantage to live primarily at Anmer Hall while working for the air ambulance service especially if the Cambridges are planning to expand their family. It may be that as the heir to the heir, they know stepping into the prime spotlight of the Firm, it is possible that their activities will cast shadows on other things the Firm is presenting because that's how the media works. It follows who is the most "popular" as that is what sells. Working with the air ambulance in Norfolk would provide the sense of doing something worthwhile for William while also being close enough that his duties for the Firm and the Cambridges charities are still within grasp. He, also, may be considering working with the air ambulance service as a volunteer.

Things can change in the blink of an eye and I think all of the Firm realizes this. Especially The Queen as she suddenly was thrust into the role of monarch far earlier than was expected. William has gradually been learning the ropes so to speak should it be necessary to step into those roles tomorrow but he also realizes just where he is on the totem pole of the Firm and with that position, he has options to take various other paths until he is absolutely needed in a royal full time role.

Those working for the Firm are not marionettes or chess pieces played out on the chessboard of the monarchy but real people (albeit people with an expected destiny) with real hopes, dreams and ambitions to find their niche in life just as anyone of us do.

Wobbling is a good thing. Rash decisions or just going along with the opinion of what others think could or would perhaps create feelings of unhappiness and unfulfillment in the future.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
What are LPs? And being Georg's father he has no rights as to his son's future, it is already in place the day he was born, I can understand that is what happened to William because his father/mother would never have a thought like that for him, yet William is different.......he has suffered the press all his life and it's made him angry(remember how is mother was hounded by the press and I bet in some way he feels they are still responsible for her death at day)He grew up with that and something like that is sure to effect his thinking about the press/media.
LPs are Letters Patent that are issued as an "official decree". When William married Kate, The Queen issued letters patent decreeing that William had been created The Duke of Cambridge.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

There are so several options on the table for the Cambridge's. We all are waiting to see what they will do. Whatever William decides to do career wise, there will have to be a healthy balance with career and royal life. The way I see it, they can't go back to dong very little engagements due to working around military life or what have you. It's jut time for them to step up to the plate.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Serene Highness

As you said, the media want the Cambridge's out there because it all boils down to one thing only it seems, MONEY. The more papers the royals are in(W/C) the more money they make......ugly!
I feel for William, I was there when he was born and read/watched/witnessed the whole darn fairy tale marriage fall to pieces from day one. I still have books, newspapers articles, all type of stuff about Diana, Charles, and the family. This is about the time I really got into the royals of the world was when I saw a picture of Diana with the sun behind her showing her legs before she even married Charles(I was also then disgusted with the media).
I saw how the media affected William and his brother, and I honestly do believe that even some of Harry's wild behavior at times was his way of dealing with the pressure he was under when growing up without his mother(both boys clearly loved their mother deeply), and all the media did to Diana and her boys has made them partly what/why/how they treat the media today..........I clearly blame the media for their attitude towards them and any backlash that the media does just might turn the royals really against the media. You can only want so much from a person in their position, you can't be there with them 24/7, they do and need a private life. If the media doesn't back down there will be serious trouble ahead for the media and the royals, bounderies must be set in stone for the future most surely.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
As you said, the media want the Cambridge's out there because it all boils down to one thing only it seems, MONEY. The more papers the royals are in(W/C) the more money they make......ugly!
I feel for William, I was there when he was born and read/watched/witnessed the whole darn fairy tale marriage fall to pieces from day one. I still have books, newspapers articles, all type of stuff about Diana, Charles, and the family. This is about the time I really got into the royals of the world was when I saw a picture of Diana with the sun behind her showing her legs before she even married Charles(I was also then disgusted with the media).
I saw how the media affected William and his brother, and I honestly do believe that even some of Harry's wild behavior at times was his way of dealing with the pressure he was under when growing up without his mother(both boys clearly loved their mother deeply), and all the media did to Diana and her boys has made them partly what/why/how they treat the media today..........I clearly blame the media for their attitude towards them and any backlash that the media does just might turn the royals really against the media. You can only want so much from a person in their position, you can't be there with them 24/7, they do and need a private life. If the media doesn't back down there will be serious trouble ahead for the media and the royals, bounderies must be set in stone for the future most surely.

Especially now that its going to affect children...which probably makes william especially on edge...

I do think alot of the problem with the media and maybe his "court" is they assume things and don't know for a fact. I think the only person who will know his definite plans will be kate,

I can see why its hard now for him to makes decisions...it doesn't just affect him, it affects his wife, his son and his future children...just imagine the pressure he puts on himself to make the right decision for him and his family.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
You can only want so much from a person in their position, you can't be there with them 24/7, they do and need a private life. If the media doesn't back down there will be serious trouble ahead for the media and the royals, bounderies must be set in stone for the future most surely.
I agree with you. W&K are miles away from 24/7 attention though, George hasn't been seen in the UK at all apart from the day he left the hospital. 24/7 is one extreme, their current life in the UK almost the other extreme, for themselves & George. They need to find a balance, and I agree here with Dman:
Quote:
The way I see it, they can't go back to dong very little engagements due to working around military life or what have you. It's jut time for them to step up to the plate.

Closed Thread