Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: If at some point PoW becomes Regent, does he control the Sovereign's Grant and William take over DoC income? or how does that work.

Richard Palmer, the author of the Express article is being contradictory. He is criticising William for not being afull time royal and then states that there isnt enough money for them to be full time.

Catherine and William are a money spinner for the press thru sale of papers or online clicks.

Self interest at play here.

I want that announcement pdq

The aging Queen and DoE doesn't want to slow down and I think they find it insulting for people to suggest that to them or to suggest others to take over for them

It all make me think that there's some interesting things going on behind the scenes. If there isn't a better balance to his new job and royal duties, then it's going to be a strain on William & Catherine once again, some heavy criticism will come their way and their palace PR team are going to have one headache after another. They shouldn't be retreating from their royal duties but increasing them.

I thought the whole idea was to focus on royal duties and charitable roles and conservation work.

Question: If at some point PoW becomes Regent, does he control the Sovereign's Grant and William take over DoC income? or how does that work.

I would imagine that as regent, he would oversee the Sovereign's Grant but as Duke of Cornwall still, he would still remain in charge of that. A regent acts in the interest of the monarch.

I would also imagine that Charles would (as regent) use, to his advantage, the Way Ahead Group that meets twice yearly. Although it is not official, I think many of the issues concerning the Windsor family are discussed and decisions made during these meetings. I think these meetings are a big part of deciding the future of the royal family.

With this in mind, I really don't expect to hear much about anything changing for William in any way until after the committee meets this summer at Balmoral.

This link cannot be classified as gospel truths nor actually is the committee itself but it does give some insight into perhaps on how the Firm works in the background.

User:Hemlock Martinis/Way Ahead Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Until there is an official announcement, we aren't going to know what William's plans are. He doesn't have to do the air ambulance full time, he could do 15 shifts a month plus royal duties.

Until there is an official announcement, we aren't going to know what William's plans are. He doesn't have to do the air ambulance full time, he could do 15 shifts a month plus royal duties.

Very true, an official announcement on their plans would clear up and hopefully present a better balance than they had before.

Very true, an official announcement on their plans would clear up and hopefully present a better balance than they had before.

I don't expect we'll really hear anything official until the end of the summer break. This "transitional" year is up in September correct?

The excuse about lack of funds is just that an excuse by William supporters.

It is William's own words that show he is reluctant to commit to full time royal duties.

In his May 2012 interview with Katie Couric his said he had not yet decided whether to extend his service as a search-and-rescue pilot for another year, but admitted that it was becoming harder to balance with the demands of being second in line to the throne.

“It’s a really difficult one because I really enjoy my time in the Air Force, and I’d love to continue it,” he said. “But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”

Airman Prince William could become part-time helicopter instructor - Telegraph

The house and the honors were given to him as a future full time royal and not as a reluctant part time royal who has to be bribed to do his duty. If he wanted to stay as a part time or occasional royal then he should have stayed at Clarence House.

There was enough room for William, Kate & George and a nanny at Clarence House. William had a 3 room suite, Harry had a 3 room suite & there were several guest bedrooms on the same floor. Also St. James' Palace has more than enough room. Charles had remodeled it for W&H so that there were IIRC about 14 extra bedrooms for their friends.

Apartment 1A is too large for just a family home. Prince Charles was a full time royal but lived in a 3 room apartment at BP until he was married. Charles uses Clarence House not just as a residence but for meetings and conducting official business as POW and as a member of the royal family meeting visiting dignitaries. When he lived in KP's Apartment 8&9, they too were used for meetings and not just for a family residence.

Last edited:
The house and the honors were given to him as a future full time royal and not as a reluctant part time royal who has to be bribed to do his duty. If he wanted to stay as a part time or occasional royal then he should have stayed at Clarence House.

There was enough room for William, Kate & George and a nanny at Clarence House. William had a 3 room suite, Harry had a 3 room suite & there were several guest bedrooms on the same floor. Also St. James' Palace has more than enough room. Charles had remodeled it for W&H so that there were IIRC about 14 extra bedrooms for their friends.

Apartment 1A is too large for just a family home. Prince Charles was a full time royal but lived in a 3 room apartment at BP until he was married. Charles uses Clarence House not just as a residence but for meetings and conducting official business as POW and as a member of the royal family meeting visiting dignitaries. When he lived in KP's Apartment 8&9, they too were used for meetings and not just for a family residence.

I respectfully have to disagree with you on a few points. It was never stated by Buckingham Palace, Clarence House or William's own staff that any residences were being given to William with the expectations of him going into doing full time royal duties for the Firm. Even if he has admitted that should his life be different, he would really rather be doing something else such as staying the military flying for SAR, there is no question in my mind that he is resolved to do what is expected of him and do it to the best of his ability. He is not being bribed to do anything. It is not up to William to decide how much he does, where he does it and just at what level will he be working with the Firm. He is just a lower cog in the wheels of the family "Firm" or "business" as one is wont to say right now and whatever role that is announced that he will be playing when the transitional year is up, I'd be my last dab of sour cream that it will not be his decision only but one that has been approved by HM, The Queen, her heir The Prince of Wales and those involved with the Firm's decision that is called the Way Ahead Group.

Personally I think its the press and the royal watchers that are clamoring for William to be what they deem a full time working royal and believe that if he's not in the focus of a camera quite constantly, then he is shirking his duty, being lazy and whatever else has been thrown at him.

As to the suitability of Apartment 1A being too large for a family home? Then it most definitely had to be way too large as a residence for a single, elderly woman. Princess Margaret was the sole resident of the apartment (she was divorced and her children grown and on their own) and resided there until her death in 2002. I'm sure Clarence House is big enough to hold quite a few families if it had to be so. As children grow and marry and start their own family, they normally do move away from mommy and daddy's house and I would have thought it quite weird if William and his family and then Harry and his family all lived cozily ever after at Clarence House. But that's just me. :) Maybe Princess Margaret's children and grandchildren should have resided with her in Apartment 1A? Its surely big enough?

Just a few thoughts of mine.

Correction: From 2000–2002, Viscount Linley, his wife and baby son lived in Kensington Palace with his mother, Princess Margaret, in her declining years.

Last edited:
William's own words from over 2 years ago stated he was being pressured to increase his royal duties.

But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”

Clearly he is the one who is making the decisions and refusing to do commit to his destiny of life as a full time WORKING royal.

William's own words from over 2 years ago stated he was being pressured to increase his royal duties.

But the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”

Clearly he is the one who is making the decisions and refusing to do commit to his destiny of life as a full time WORKING royal.

My point simply was that its not his decision to make. ;)

I would think that if it came to the point where he, himself, decided "oh I'm not going to do this", granny would put her foot down and tell him to shape up or ship out.

That statement also was made when he was committed full time to his RAF duties. He couldn't easily back off from those either.

Last edited:
It appears that the powers that be assumed they needed to get their ducks in a row after the last couple of years of DoE's hospital stays. William resigned from RAF; started work on a home; started preparing for PoW duties and full time engagements, etc. The Press got all hipped up thinking they would have W&C pics, pics, pics and now DoE is almost as spry as ever (also Duke of Kent) and all the plans have had to change. The reporters are not happy about any of the new plans...no more W&C pics...
Ah, don't think so. While the DoE has had a couple of health scares he is generally in rude health. However, HM is in very good health and the only way William can be PoW is if HM dies and Charles ascends the throne and barring accidents or an undiagnosed heart condition or such, I can't see us burying her any time soon.

As to William, well unfortunately he is still "finding his way" and hopefully, when he gets there someone will tell us.

In that latest article Richard seems pretty sure he is going to the air ambulance thing...I am sure his love for flying isn't the only thing involved in that decision...I think kate will probably get pregnant soon as well...and if she is bothered by press camping out in kensington gardens..then it is a good idea to be in norfolk...lets be honest they don't have that much time left to be able do what they really want...its probably really winding down...if he can get 2 more years out of the flying he'll be lucky...but who knows whats going to happen in the future.

If someone dies during his stint in being a pilot again...he'll probably quit his job...I imagine that's a given to all of them. I think if either Philip or the Queen dies...then he's going to do what he has to do..

Most of his life is mapped out for him...this is really like his last chance to do something he is passionate about...before doing something that he was born into..

Lets be honest no matter what he does people will find a reason to complain..they always do...

I remember the Prince of Wales remarking [and i paraphrase], that the most difficult thing about being royal is other peoples expectations of what one ahould do.. EVERYONE has an opinion !!!

Never has this been truer than in this case... The Duke is 'damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't'.

To me at the age of 32 he should know what to do. And IMO it doesn0t make sense to take a "transitional year" and then to work as a pilot again....

^^^Yes, it seems like a round-robin. I have an idea that he would not be allowed to continue to do dangerous work (which any first responder position is). Is he working that desk job, or is he just twirling? Is Harry working the desk job they made for him?

I have my doubts about successful adulthood for either of those young men.

Agree but I see Harry's way far more straight and lesse unsure (even if I know he's not the heir). I have the feeling that William doesn't know what to do and also doesn't want to be a full royal

I have my doubts about successful adulthood for either of those young men.

??? What form do you think failure will take? Neither of them seem like failures to me- or even likely failures.

I look forward to reading your prognostications of DOOM...and what form you think it will take. Crack addiction, alcoholism, sex addiction ???

The military have a process for promotion which includes spending time at a desk job which focuses on organisatinal skills etc.

The military also gives time to any personnel who want to do something which helps promote the armed forces. Good examples are sports (olympic games, national rugby,) physical challenges like climbing everest or rowing the atlantic; and also doing charitable works for the military.

So what Harry is doing covers all of that and regardless ofbeing a prince, would get military support. So before you talk about failure, posters need to get their facts straight.

william apparently wants to carryout public service duties in a way which utilizes the military training he was given. That doesnt look like failure to me.

The press and the household say there is t funding for more royal duties so unless someone givesit up, william isnt going to do that.

Thats the way it is.

Yeah, I don't see why William is a failure because he wants to work as an air ambulance pilot. He may not be shaking hands and cutting ribbons (or doing traditional royal duties), but he's serving his country/the public. I don't understand why it's seen as a negative thing.

I do think that William and Kate should up their engagements, but I don't think they have to match the numbers that Charles or the Queen are doing. Not only is there not enough funding for it, but William is not the heir, so there is no need for him to go full-time right now.

I think everyone knows that William & Catherine may not carry out the same number of engagements as The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales or Princess Anne because the work they do is pretty much what they've taken on over a great period of time and a great deal of other official duties were handed down to them. Since The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret's died, they've become even more busy.

I think William & Catherine should be doing is upping their engagements, get involved with a couple of more charities and I really would like to see William get more involved with his passion for conservation. Whatever job he take on the side would be great but I really don't think the focus should be taken off of their royal duties.

When they had their military life in the SAR, there were many times they weren't doing any official engagements for about a month or two. They would schedule the time to do about two or three engagements and then they disappeared for a long period of time again. So when William mentioned that his job in the SAR really got in the way of his royal duties and other commitments, you could really see why. Doing these side jobs part-time instead of full-time would probably make the difference.

There are a lot of options on the table for William to take. I think it would be an ease on them if there were a much better balance to his side job and his official royal job. I really don't think it's going to be good for them PR wise to be seen retreating from their official duties. Especially know they have a full-time nanny and an equerry. Everyone knows they have the time to take on more duties than before.

Last edited:
I look forward to reading your prognostications of DOOM...and what form you think it will take. Crack addiction, alcoholism, sex addiction ???

I'll assume this was addressed to me. Alcoholism (which has already reared it's ugly head)...one can still function and be an alcoholic. Same goes for sex addiction. Harry sure does seem to exhibit a predeliction to one or both. Not sure about William; he could be just bored or frustrated.

The job is going to as interesting as you make it. Yes, there are certain protocols to follow in performing royal duties but there's no rule book to go along with it. It takes time and dedication to carve out your official role and make it interesting. There's more to royal duties than just showing up to cut some ribbons and unveiling some plaques. William is very passionate about conservation so I think there are lots of stuff from him to explore there.

I think it's the height of arrogance (not to mention stupid) to make some of the judgements being made here about Harry and William based on what the media tells us. None of us knows them personally and I would say 99.9 percent of us here don't travel in his social circles either.

LaRae

I can fully understand William's apparent reluctance to become a full time royal - why should he welcome the prospect? It doesn't therefore follow that he will shirk his duties or fail in his role - in fact when we see him out performing engagements, all the evidence is to the contrary. I guess he is still holding on to the last vestiges of a "normal" life. I think I'd be exactly the same were I in his shoes.

This is not my focus but I am wondering why having a job should be a deterrent to also doing royal duties? As best as I can make out, Charles pretty much has a full time job with his businesses and foundations. He is the individual who runs and oversees their running - CEO type role. He does full time royal duties - or what is perceived as full time. So how is that different from William having a job that he loves to do?

Might this all just be tabloids like the DM making mischief? Trying to 'smoke out' the Cambridges for more photo-ops which means more pictures on front pages which means more sales/more money?

I've read someone here mention that perhaps William and Kate will approach their charity work in a different way. It does seem that 'royal work' is being equated with 'charity work'. I'm trying to figure this out, because with the other royals I am interested in this doesn't seem to be an issue. Not sure why - it may just be looked at differently.

I also have to agree with others who have said that if what William and Kate are doing was not in line with how the Monarch (and Prince Charles) want things to go it would go differently. That seems reasonable to me. So I would guess all is well, no?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom