The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
He can be as healthy and as happy as he likes, if one day something happens and this country decides it wants to become a republic then it may just happen. I'm not saying it will be, and I'm not saying I want it to happen. I'd be very upset without my Ascot fix of hats, but the point is we cannot predict the future.
It's easy to talk about what Charles might do because we know his personality, we know his views and we know how he's acted as a senior royal for 45 years. We know nothing about William.
Yeah, I know we don't know what the future holds but I do think William will be King at some point down the line.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

While it's very likely that William will be king one day, this thread is still a bit premature. We don't know enough about William yet, and however much he might be "two heart beats away" from the throne, it isn't likely he'll be king any time soon.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
While it's very likely that William will be king one day, this thread is still a bit premature. We don't know enough about William yet, and however much he might be "two heart beats away" from the throne, it isn't likely he'll be king any time soon.
And "two heartbeats away" in today's society could also mean that by the time William would have taken the throne, we could all be part of the United Federation of Planets. One never knows.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
And "two heartbeats away" in today's society could also mean that by the time William would have taken the throne, we could all be part of the United Federation of Planets. One never knows.
Give me space travel!

I'm still waiting on my answer as to what William is going to do to modernise the monarchy, don't think I'm going to get one.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Give me space travel!

I'm still waiting on my answer as to what William is going to do to modernise the monarchy, don't think I'm going to get one.
So true -
(1) he can only change what is in existence and we dont know what that will be (2) we haven't a clue what William thinks makes a good monarchy

This thread isnt going to tell us anything unless William does
Old 03-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalDaisy View Post
So true -
(1) he can only change what is in existence and we dont know what that will be (2) we haven't a clue what William thinks makes a good monarchy

This thread isnt going to tell us anything unless William does
The meat of the monarchy is in its traditions and its history. Drastically change either one of these and you have a monarchy that is a dinner plate with very little substance on it.

The way things can be modernized is in the the way certain things can be carried out. An example in point would be that many royal charities and patronages will be umbrella'd and perhaps even global (Harry's trek to the south pole is an example).
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

One possible, perhaps probable, change is that King William may update the traditional garb of Knights of the Order of the Garter. Even 20 +years from now, I doubt William will forget Kate and Harry's reaction to seeing William in his robes and feathered hat a few years ago.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

wasn't it reported that William will do away with all the Ivory in the royal vaults? so i guess he will start with that
Old 03-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
wasn't it reported that William will do away with all the Ivory in the royal vaults? so i guess he will start with that
Along these lines, perhaps he'll modernize the Music Room. Turn it into Club B with a glitter ball, lighted disco floors and maybe even a collection of vinyls for scratching.
― John Lennon
Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
One possible, perhaps probable change, is that King William may update the traditional garb of Knights of the Order of the Garter. Even 20 +years from now, I doubt William will forget Kate and Harry's reaction to seeing William in his robes and feathered hat a few years ago.
I would hope he or Charles would add some diversity to the Order because at the moment all I see is a bunch of old white men and women being invested into the Order. Update it indeed.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

Hopefully, with age will come a clearer understanding of what is , and what is not of intrinsic value to the tradition of the Throne which he will inherit. I hope and pray his Grandmother and Father will have instilled in him the value of it.

The Ivory 'kerfuffle' seemed rather a kneejerk response to a global problem. The destruction of historic artefacts made before the current laws were instituted looks rather an immature idea to me... How it would discourage poachers and collectors of CONTEMPORARY Ivory 'artworks' escapes me ?
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I would hope he or Charles would add some diversity to the Order because at the moment all I see is a bunch of old white men and women being invested into the Order. Update it indeed.
I'm of the opposing view. This is one area that is very much based on longevity and tradition. The Order of the Garter is the most senior and the oldest British Order of Chivalry and was founded by Edward III in 1348. With Charles being very much a traditionalist, I don't see him wanting to change it. Changes to these kind of things would be like exchanging the coronation chair of Edward I to a sofa to make it more comfortable.
― John Lennon
Heir Apparent

He is definitely getting rid of the corgis. Lupo II will be roaming BP.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
He is definitely getting rid of the corgis. Lupo II will be roaming BP.
Sacrilege!!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm of the opposing view. This is one area that is very much based on longevity and tradition. The Order of the Garter is the most senior and the oldest British Order of Chivalry and was founded by Edward III in 1348. With Charles being very much a traditionalist, I don't see him wanting to change it. Changes to these kind of things would be like exchanging the coronation chair of Edward I to a sofa to make it more comfortable.
Bringing some diversity to the Order will change nothing about the tradition of the Order. I'm sure they are some people of different ethnic backgrounds that are just as deserving of the Order as many others. The Order needs some flavor and I hope William or Charles will be the ones that bring it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
These "bunch of old people" are high achievers, leaders and statesmen - so they shouldn't just be rudely dismissed.

EDIT

Want to add that I am tired of the cult of youth and celebrity. These people have earned their honour through years of work, not 5 minutes of fame.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalDaisy View Post
These "bunch of old people" are high achievers, leaders and statesmen - so they shouldn't just be rudely dismissed.
I didn't "rudely" dismiss anybody. I totally respect those who've done some amazing things and been honored by The Queen by investing them into the Order. I'm just saying that when I look at the group, all I see is a sea of older people who are about the same race and I think the Order could inject in some diversity. I'm hoping that William and or Charles will realize that there are more people (of different ethnic backgrounds) who have done some amazing things too.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I didn't "rudely" dismiss anybody. I totally respect those who've done some amazing things and been honored by The Queen by investing them into the Order. I'm just saying that when I look at the group, all I see is a sea of older people who are about the same race and I think the Order could inject in some diversity. I'm hoping that William and or Charles will realize that there are more people (of different ethnic backgrounds) who have done some amazing things too.
The Knights of the Garter actually are a very small and elite group and the monarch doesn't grant the Order lightly. As its written:

"Today, the Order has returned to its original function as a mark of Royal favour; Knights of the Garter are chosen personally by the Sovereign to honour those who have held public office, who have contributed in a particular way to national life or who have served the Sovereign personally."

Perhaps during Charles or William's reign, the old, white men that are now reflecting the reign of Queen Elizabeth II will reflect the diversity of culture the UK has now that wasn't so apparent when HM ascended to the throne. These old, white men are not immortals and they will be replaced when the time comes.

I change my opinion to that I agree with you. I think I misread the first post and thought you meant to update the outfits worn by the Knights.
― John Lennon
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I change my opinion to that I agree with you. I think I misread the first post and thought you meant to update the outfits worn by the Knights.
That was my post, not Dman's. It was meant as a joke.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
That was my post, not Dman's. It was meant as a joke.
Somewhere in my comfuzzled brain, my one remaining brain cell saw outfits and the word "diversity" and kind of rolled over and died. I expect it back in action tomorrow morning with my first cup of coffee.

― John Lennon
Closed Thread