The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Nobility

On the contrary, we don't know what the future holds and William is only two heartbeats away from the throne. I think he will do much to modernise the monarchy as he has definitely had a more "normal" childhood and early life than even his father did. It will be interesting to see how he chooses to fulfil his future role of Prince of Wales too.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Aristocracy

I predict the longest thread on record

Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Courtier

I think a discussion of the monarchy under William is too early because we don't know what changes Charles will implement when he is King. Inevitably William will build on changes made by Charles.

As Cris points out, William's reign is some 20-30 years in the future. We have no idea what sort of person William will be in 20 years.

Personally I think a discussion about William as potential Prince of Wales is far more relevant at this time.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I think a discussion of the monarchy under William is too early because we don't know what changes Charles will implement when he is King. Inevitably William will build on changes made by Charles.

As Cris points out, William's reign is some 20-30 years in the future. We have no idea what sort of person William will be in 20 years.

Personally I think a discussion about William as potential Prince of Wales is far more relevant at this time.
Excellent point. Thread title changed to reflect this.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Will he even be king?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Courtier

I think he'll follow on his father's footsteps as Prince of Wales (in my opinion, Prince Charles was the one who defined what's the role of the Prince of Wales), but he'll always keep his own style and personality, as Prince of Wales and as King.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Nobility

Is William's opinion of Buckingham Palace known?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Each Prince of Wales has seen the role differently and done it for themselves. I don't see that Charles did a lot differently to David for instance - represented the Monarch overseas, founded a 'Prince's Trust', worked extensively with the poor and underprivileged - all the things Charles has done.

Edward VII made opening buildings and doing that side of things very much something a Prince of Wales should do, as well as represent the monarch both at home and abroad - not as much as he would have liked but he still did it,

Others have served in the military and even fought.

Times have also changed so that the primary role is now ceremonial whereas in the past it was more actively political e.g. George IV supported the opposite side of politics to his father - simply to get up his father's nose just as Frederick Prince of Wales had supported the opposite side of politics to his father.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
On the contrary, we don't know what the future holds and William is only two heartbeats away from the throne. I think he will do much to modernise the monarchy as he has definitely had a more "normal" childhood and early life than even his father did. It will be interesting to see how he chooses to fulfil his future role of Prince of Wales too.
Well said. Also, there has been the recent events with Charles' letters to ministers about to come out, which may prove problematic.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 PM
Majesty

Give it a rest Scooter. Unless Charles has been promoting sedition and/or treason, I think it's a non-event.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I don't believe he's come out and said that he wants to sell the place to turn it into a strip club no.

Would we have judge Charles on what he was going to be like as King when he was in his 30s? Bear in mind that was 35 years ago. Is Charles the same man as he was at 35, errr nope. Is William going to be the same man as he is now when he ascends the throne? No.

Quote:
I think he will do much to modernise the monarchy as he has definitely had a more "normal" childhood and early life than even his father did.
What can he do to modernise the monarchy, genuinely?
He's had a "normal" childhood compared to his father because his father was heir to the throne and Elizabeth was Queen. William was not as is still not heir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Well said. Also, there has been the recent events with Charles' letters to ministers about to come out, which may prove problematic.
It won't prove problematic because nobody gives two hoots.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Who knows what William thinks of BP? He did not grow up there. His wedding day was probably the longest time he had spent there since they stayed the night.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Moot at this point. He's got a lot of maturing to do before any speculation can be made.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMHO his tenure as PoW will influenced by what is happening in the UK, abroad in the Commonwealth nations, and his father's health. If Charles cannot undertake some of duties associated with the monarchy then William will likely perform them on his behalf. If the monarchy is "slimmed down" due to various reasons then I believe that he will be engaged with many domestic visits.

As for his personal life, I believe that he and Kate will continue to live at KP and their children will have a childhood similar to William and Harry's with close family ties with both sets of grandparents and aunts/uncles.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Commoner

Whatever his thoughts are, let's hope that nothing he ever decides to do involves Daniel Libeskind.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Nobility

I think a lot of people don't see William becoming King for 25+ years, but it there is no guarantee of this. Prince Charles is already an OAP.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it would be nice to see King William & Queen Catherine carrying out Investitures at Buckingham Palace. I think it would be a nice modern twist to the ceremony.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think a lot of people don't see William becoming King for 25+ years, but it there is no guarantee of this. Prince Charles is already an OAP.
The Queen is an OAP, The Queen reached state pension age 28 years ago. Even if Charles becomes King at 70, which is 5 years away I still see him reigning until he's 90.

There's no guarantee William will reign at all.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think as long as William continue to have great health and happiness, he will be King. Britain is not Britain without it's Monarchy.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think as long as William continue to have great health and happiness, he will be King. Britain is not Britain without it's Monarchy.
He can be as healthy and as happy as he likes, if one day something happens and this country decides it wants to become a republic then it may just happen. I'm not saying it will be, and I'm not saying I want it to happen. I'd be very upset without my Ascot fix of hats, but the point is we cannot predict the future.
It's easy to talk about what Charles might do because we know his personality, we know his views and we know how he's acted as a senior royal for 45 years. We know nothing about William.