Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William & Kate should do more royal duties.

The elder members of the family who do not receive as many benefits as W&K should not be doing more than William & Kate.

It will be William who is King then George so William & Kate need to 'step up to plate' now and not wait until promoted to POW to start working.

The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester's son will never be king but the Gloucesters carry more of the work load than W&K.

The 78 year old Duke of Kent is working for the firm while excuses are made for the 30 year olds.

William and Kate need to start contributing to the firm that pays for their upkeep.

If you take the cost of their KP home,their security cost, clothing budget etc divided by the number of duties performed, they do not give a good return for the money.

Last edited:

The elder members of the family who do not receive as many benefits as W&K should not be doing more than William & Kate.

It will be William who is King then George so William & Kate need to 'step up to plate' now and not wait until promoted to POW to start working.

The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester's son will never be king but the Gloucesters carry more of the work load than W&K.

The 78 year old Duke of Kent is working for the firm while excuses are made for the 30 year olds.

William and Kate need to start contributing to the firm that pays for their upkeep.

If you take the cost of their KP home,their security cost, clothing budget etc divided by the number of duties performed, they do not give a good return for the money.

If Wills and Kate were to start contributing to where their upkeep comes from, it would see them going to work for the Prince of Wales exclusively as it is Charles that pays for the upkeep of Wills, Harry, Kate and George. I'm sure that Charles would love extra gardeners at Highgrove but I digress. :D

We have to remember also that they have money in their own right due to trust funds from their mother and perhaps their grandmother and great grandmother. The only thing the Firm would pay them for or supply for them is expenses occurred while doing for the Firm (such as the Australian/NZ tour) and their security.

I'm sure that when the time is right, they will be full time working royals and it looks to me as if their diary of engagements for this summer is starting off great with quite a few already announced and in motion. One thing about working for the Firm though and it may be a good reason why jumping into the job of a full time royal is such a big decision for William. The job is like a roach motel. You check into the job but you never, ever check out afterwards. Its a job for the rest of his life. Talk about being married to a job eh?

Last edited:

Since when does the taxpayer pay for their upkeep? I am under the impression there is No Civil List any longer. The money that the Queen gets is for the upkeep of the palaces that are owned by the government like BP,,,,,,,PC does pay for the upkeep of his sons and that money comes from the Duchy which is a very successful business under his management. He is a very successful business man in his own right and that is something to be proud of and he also pays taxes on that business. PW has the inheritance of his mother's which the interest alone would make him an extremely wealthy man without touching the principle. Security is paid for by the government as should be as there are way to many idiots out there that would love to do harm to these people all for the sake of getting their name in the media and because they are jealous they aren't royal. There should be no problem in paying security, why it's done for other various members of the government.

It all comes down the Queen who has the Final Say in this matter! And who are we to tell her what to do............

It all comes down the Queen who has the Final Say in this matter! And who are we to tell her what to do............

Who are we? Only the reason she continues to hold the exalted position she occupies. Without our acquiescence she would merely be a wealthy old woman.

The bottom line is people complain no matter what...they complain when they do engagements they complain when don't do engagements...

Do people want a republic that bad...I mean do people really not think there isn't corruption in a democratic gov't...because there is...and guess what people would complain about that too...people will always look for a reason to complain about something...especially the ones who are incessant on criticizing people...not just them in general.

The bottom line is people complain no matter what...they complain when they do engagements they complain when don't do engagements...

Do people want a republic that bad...I mean do people really not think there isn't corruption in a democratic gov't...because there is...and guess what people would complain about that too...people will always look for a reason to complain about something...especially the ones who are incessant on criticizing people...not just them in general.

No. In opinion polls the figures for those wanting a republic is c.19%. IT doesnt really move from that figure - it didn't even go high during the annus horribilis and Diana's death.

No one is taking to the streets, there is no crisis in the BRF.

I agree they should be doing more publically. Now, they do plenty of official business behind closed doors but a great deal of it don't make the news. It's not even recorded in the Court Circular like it should be. They conduct meetings, lunches, audiences and all that great stuff but we really don't hear about it.

They lives rent free.

If they had to pay their own expenses for everything including the going rate for their housing including KP, their security, the clothes, the vacations, polo ponies, etc., William's inheritance would only last a few years.

Each member of the royal family does behind the scene work for their charities that is not listed in the CC so it evens out.

Bottom line:
W&K need to do more to earn their position and benefits.

I agree they should be doing more publically. Now, they do plenty of official business behind closed doors but a great deal of it don't make the news. It's not even recorded in the Court Circular like it should be. They conduct meetings, lunches, audiences and all that great stuff but we really don't hear about it.

You say this as if nobody else works behind the scenes. If William and Kate are doing it then you can bet that everyone else is as well.

They lives rent free.

If they had to pay their own expenses for everything including the going rate for their housing including KP, their security, the clothes, the vacations, polo ponies, etc., William's inheritance would only last a few years.

Clothes, vacations, polo ponies: What makes you suggest that they do not "pay their own expenses" for these?

As far as security, it is the Home Office that decides who in Britain gets security, and who does not. BP does not decide that.

The only government owned home they have is KP, which William gets as second in line to the throne.

Who are we? Only the reason she continues to hold the exalted position she occupies. Without our acquiescence she would merely be a wealthy old woman.

Fair point, but it is clear that we are happy for her to hold the exalted position she holds.

And the alternative is ..... William and Kate take his inheritance and retire to the countryside. Nether seem to "need" the limelight or to be the center of attention.
They appear to be people who would happily chuck it and become private citizens. William has been raised to one day become King and I feel that he will do his duty because duty is a big deal to his family - but if given a choice. I don't see either son rushing to put on the Crown.

As for the "older" members. They are your elderly relatives who either live with you or live on the street because they do not have the means to support themselves. Appearing across Britain is their way of "paying back" to the Queen for supporting them - with a home, maintenance, etc. As the sons of the King and eventually the Brothers of the King they did not have "real" jobs (other than serving in the military). You may notice that none of their children lead such a life.

As usual you forget to point out that Camilla who has been Princess of Wales for ten years also carries out fewer engagements than the Duke of Gloucester.

If you want to call out the Queen's grandchildren thats fine but lets have all the facts, Camilla will no doubt go done in history as the least ambitious PoW.

William is only two spots below Camilla in engagements according to the CC, now you tell me who isn't pulling their weight.??

No one has a gun to the head of the older royals such as Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandria and Duke & Duchess of Gloucester to do engagements. They do because they want to. They could easily tell the Queen that they are going to retire from public life if they want to.

William is doing exactly what they said he would be doing this transitional year- working with Royal Foundation, Cambridge Course plus major tour and we are getting into the busy summer royal time. It is not like he is backpacking through Europe.

Rudolph and Skippyboo - those are great points, but let's not slide off topic and chase Ca,milla or the Gloucesters. We tend to do that. :)
I hold firmly to the belief that the Queen is quite approving of the current contribution of the Windsors and I don't think Charles is far behind her on the topic. And frankly, their opinion matters more than ours on this matter.

Rudolph and Skippyboo - those are great points, but let's not slide off topic and chase Ca,milla or the Gloucesters. We tend to do that. :)
I hold firmly to the belief that the Queen is quite approving of the current contribution of the Windsors and I don't think Charles is far behind her on the topic. And frankly, their opinion matters more than ours on this matter.

I really think your so right about the Queen approving of what PW is doing:), after all even though she is is grandmother, the buck stops with her......her final word is what is going to matter the most.

I'm not sure what to make of this - but apparently the Cambridges have appointed an equerry to their household. This occurred earlier this year,

This should be another sign of an increasing yet inevitable focus on royal duties for the couple. But then again............

He is Captain Florian Graham-Watson, an officer from the Irish Guards.

Contrary to what is usual practise, the appointment was never announced in the court circular and only emerged this week when he was mentioned among the Duke and Duchess’s entourage for their engagements in France. He was not mentioned when, according to other sources, he went with them on the NZ/Aus tour

Equerries are appointed from the Armed services to help manage the affairs of members of the Royal Family both privately and in the planning and execution of day-to-day engagements. They dont usually stay for a long period of time - it is part of their training.

I'm not sure what to make of this - but apparently the Cambridges have appointed an equerry to their household. This occurred earlier this year,

This should be another sign of an increasing yet inevitable focus on royal duties for the couple. But then again............

He is Captain Florian Graham-Watson, an officer from the Irish Guards.

Contrary to what is usual practise, the appointment was never announced in the court circular and only emerged this week when he was mentioned among the Duke and Duchess’s entourage for their engagements in France. He was not mentioned when, according to other sources, he went with them on the NZ/Aus tour

Equerries are appointed from the Armed services to help manage the affairs of members of the Royal Family both privately and in the planning and execution of day-to-day engagements. They dont usually stay for a long period of time - it is part of their training.

Which is probably why it wasn't announced. Maybe this is considered an internship type of role for him..to go into a higher position either for them or someone else afterwards.

As usual you forget to point out that Camilla who has been Princess of Wales for ten years also carries out fewer engagements than the Duke of Gloucester.

If you want to call out the Queen's grandchildren thats fine but lets have all the facts, Camilla will no doubt go done in history as the least ambitious PoW.

William is only two spots below Camilla in engagements according to the CC, now you tell me who isn't pulling their weight.??

Camilla became Princess of Wales in 2005, that will make it 9 years.

Last year Camilla carried out more engagements that the Duke of Gloucester.

Thus far, this year Camilla has nearly 100 & William around 60.

William is expected to inherit the throne & should work for it.
William should be working more than the elderly and senior citizens of the family.

Camilla is nearly 67 vs William who will be 32 in 2 weeks.

Camilla working part time is acceptable for a 67 year old.

William doesn't even work part time only occasionally.

This is unacceptable for a young man.

Last edited:
I don't know that William has much say in it. That is up to the Queen's people and the Queen to determine who will do these engagements.

LaRae

[/B]

Which is probably why it wasn't announced. Maybe this is considered an internship type of role for him..to go into a higher position either for them or someone else afterwards.

It is normally announced, even if it is only for a few weeks or months.

In 2000 The Queen Mother was changing some people in her household almost daily and certainly weekly and they were announced in the CC.

Camilla became Princess of Wales in 2005, that will make it 9 years.

Last year Camilla carried out more engagements that the Duke of Gloucester.

Thus far, this year Camilla has nearly 100 & William around 60.

William is expected to inherit the throne & should work for it.
William should be working more than the elderly and senior citizens of the family.

Camilla is nearly 67 vs William who will be 32 in 2 weeks.

Camilla working part time is acceptable for a 67 year old.

William doesn't even work part time only occasionally.

This is unacceptable for a young man.

Maybe that young man is doing what his grandmother wants him to do....I believe that QE has learned some lessons on how to treat new members of her family since the days of Diana. Maybe she wants him and his family to have more time together as a family before they become full time royals. After all she came to the throne at a very young age with small children and didn't have that time. And doesn't the Queen have final say, after all the buck stops with her as the saying goes. And we the public have no say in her decisions at all.

Actually William is not a young man but a man who should be in his prime working years.

Also, his mother was not mistreated nor overworked. (Check out O'Donovan's stats.)

IMO, if the Queen/DOE weren't pushing, William would have stayed in Wales.

Actually William is not a young man but a man who should be in his prime working years.

Also, his mother was not mistreated nor overworked. (Check out O'Donovan's stats.)

IMO, if the Queen/DOE weren't pushing, William would have stayed in Wales.

Yes William is a young man with a family now, being young is in the mind of who is deciding he is young, to me, he is still young. Middle age doesn't start till say 50's.
I never said that Diana was overworked, and yes she was mistreated by the Firm.......her husband clearly did not love nor support her, heavens all the papers during their marriage showed/stated that fact. The firm threw her in and it was sink or swim with no instructions, she almost sank and somehow got the guts to swim and she out swam Charles by oceans(my opinion as all of us are allowed here). Being mistreated can be done in many ways such as emotional, mental and verbal mistreatment.

Maybe William would have stayed in Wales, we really don't know for we weren't in on that conversation so we can only assume that. He was clearly happy there, he found a place at that time where he felt he was doing something more then shaking hands all the time, he worked and saved lives along with all the men at that station, he found friendships and was treated as an equal(seeing him make his own tea, lunch is being treated as an equal, he didn't have servants with him doing his bidding). There is alot to be said for someone who wants to do that type of job, in helping others...I would hope it makes them feel they are doing something worthwhile in life instead of just sitting on their hands doing nothing all day. Bottom line is, it's the Queen's, DoE and Prince Charles who will advise him on how to proceed with his life to a degree. After all he does know who he is and what is expected of him.

I totally disagree with your comments about Diana but will not respond as it will be OT.

Princess Alexandra stepped down as patron of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and on May 8th it was announced that Prince Charles was now the new patron.

IMO, it appeared as if the 'firm' asked who wanted the Cystic Fibrosis Trust with everyone looking at W&K and expecting them to volunteer and when neither of them volunteered Charles volunteered.

This could have been an opportunity for William or Kate to pick up another charity but instead Prince Charles was named the new patron.

I totally disagree with your comments about Diana but will not respond as it will be OT.

Princess Alexandra stepped down as patron of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and on May 8th it was announced that Prince Charles was now the new patron.

IMO, it appeared as if the 'firm' asked who wanted the Cystic Fibrosis Trust with everyone looking at W&K and expecting them to volunteer and when neither of them volunteered Charles volunteered.

This could have been an opportunity for William or Kate to pick up another charity but instead Prince Charles was named the new patron.

I think when it comes to W&K's charities, I don't think we're going to be seeing them pick up charities "on the spot" or just step in when someone steps down. William, Harry and Kate have their own Royal Foundation and I think anything that they will add on as far as charities will be within the mission statement of the Foundation. To be honest, I don't think William and Kate turned it down though. If it had happened that they were asked by the Firm to take it on, I would bet my last doughnut that they would have accepted.

We have to remember too that the "Firm" isn't like ordinary employment. Its not a competition to climb the corporate ladder nor is it to gain the most attention and spotlights and who "works" harder. This is a family that represents the monarchy and its Queen. The engagements, appearances and duties are just one way the monarchy serves its people and recognizes the service to the country that people have given.

There is no proof that it was offered to William or Kate or that it was opened for volunteers. Maybe Princess Alexandria asked Charles to take it over and he agreed. William took over the Fields in Trust patronage from his grandfather. That was one of Philip's first charity roles after he married. He also took over British Scuba from his father who took over from his grandfather.

Many of us were spoiled with all the media coverage of Diana and many would prefer to see William or Catherine more in the media spotlight that of Charles or Camilla.

But we are not the ones who makes the decisions as to when and where the Cambridges appear.

Furthermore, it was my understanding that Charles was not happy with the more entertainment type of media coverage of the Cambridges. He wanted more serious activities which is why he took over his sons' PR/media.

Whatever happened to the plan that Wills was to take a position with either the Home or Foreign Office (I can't remember which). Has that fallen by the wayside? Anyone know?

Whatever happened to the plan that Wills was to take a position with either the Home or Foreign Office (I can't remember which). Has that fallen by the wayside? Anyone know?

It is still in the "possible" pile along with air ambulance pilot, charity worker, farmer, and full time royal.

I'm not expecting an announcement until the 12 month "transition" is over in September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom