Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Malta - September 20-21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, maybe it was a surprise to them as well? It's not as if women can flip a switch when they want to get pregnant and then flip it off when it's not convenient...

Actually they can - its called contraception.

It's not like every woman gets pregnant the day after she stops using contraception, though, (although such a guarantee would certainly make things simpler for couples everywhere, including William and Kate)! Maybe, for whatever reason, they weren't anticipating Kate becoming pregnant so quickly.

In any event, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to plan their second child around a two day trip.

In no way am i shocked that Kate isnt going on this trip - from the moment the announcement was made and that she was suffering again from HG this trip was off for her. She only had about 10days to make a full recovery and with her condition that seemed highly unlikely.

What surprised me was the pregnancy announcement in itself - William and Kate have clearly known about this trip for a long time probably from spring time. Therefore i am very surprised they didnt wait to try for another baby til after Malta. There has been criticism about Kate's lack of duties on various forums/media outlets and this was a big opportunity for her to step up.

I kind of think that if they were trying for a second baby then they were a tad silly to not wait until after the trip. Yeah, sure it's just a 2 day trip and it's not the end of the world that Kate can't go, but given the problems Kate had in her first pregnancy it seems like it would have made sense to play it safe and wait until after the trip.

That said, we don't know that they were trying to get pregnant. We don't know what form of birth control they were using. We don't need to know. It is very possible that they weren't actively trying to get pregnant, but instead had a happy accident. It's very possible that they were trying this time, but when they were trying for George it took them awhile so this time round they started sooner than they were necessarily ready thinking it would take them awhile again, and were surprised.

Yes it's disappointing that Kate won't be going on this trip, especially since it's probably going to be awhile before she has another opportunity for a solo trip (I doubt it'll happen before Baby 2 is a year old), but until such a time as they reveal that they deliberately threw caution into the wind and were doing everything they could to get Kate knocked up before the Malta trip, I don't think we should be criticizing her too much for this one.

4 off the top of my head. New Zealand in 2005, 2010 and 2011 and Australia in 2011

Others have already said a lot of what I was going to respond. I just want to add this--the number of children out there who were "surprises" provides more than enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's not black and white.

Additionally, I refuse to accept the fact that Catherine, William or any other human being has to plan their childbearing schedule according to a rigid, please-everyone-else schedule. I'm sorry, but to me, that's asinine and insulting.

I kind of think that if they were trying for a second baby then they were a tad silly to not wait until after the trip. Yeah, sure it's just a 2 day trip and it's not the end of the world that Kate can't go, but given the problems Kate had in her first pregnancy it seems like it would have made sense to play it safe and wait until after the trip.

That said, we don't know that they were trying to get pregnant. We don't know what form of birth control they were using. We don't need to know. It is very possible that they weren't actively trying to get pregnant, but instead had a happy accident. It's very possible that they were trying this time, but when they were trying for George it took them awhile so this time round they started sooner than they were necessarily ready thinking it would take them awhile again, and were surprised.

Yes it's disappointing that Kate won't be going on this trip, especially since it's probably going to be awhile before she has another opportunity for a solo trip (I doubt it'll happen before Baby 2 is a year old), but until such a time as they reveal that they deliberately threw caution into the wind and were doing everything they could to get Kate knocked up before the Malta trip, I don't think we should be criticizing her too much for this one.

I'm not going to get into the conversation on William & Catherine getting that "cookie" but they did and a new little crumb snatcher is on the way.

I'm sure Catherine is disappointed she couldn't carry out the trip but I think there will be more. To me, it's all an indication that her royal role with the royal family is on the rise and she'll be doing more official engagements in the future.

I'm not going to get into the conversation on William & Catherine getting that "cookie" but they did and a new little crumb snatcher is on the way.

I'm sure Catherine is disappointed she couldn't carry out the trip but I think there will be more. To me, it's all an indication that her royal role with the royal family is on the rise and she'll be doing more official engagements in the future.

I agree that we don't need to get into how they got this "cookie", I was more trying to say that we don't know how, and to attack them without knowing is ridiculous. Nor do we need to know - that is their private business.

I disagree that this means we're going to be seeing more engagements from Kate in the near future. She didn't do many engagements while pregnant with George, and I don't think we can expect her to do too many with this pregnancy. Then for a year after that she'll be on "mat leave" and have lower numbers as well. Perhaps there'll be another big tour a few months after Baby 2 is born, but really their numbers while in New Zealand and Australia weren't that high given the length of the tour. I don't think we're likely to see any real increase in Kate's numbers for at least another 2 years.

Others have already said a lot of what I was going to respond. I just want to add this--the number of children out there who were "surprises" provides more than enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's not black and white.

Additionally, I refuse to accept the fact that Catherine, William or any other human being has to plan their childbearing schedule according to a rigid, please-everyone-else schedule. I'm sorry, but to me, that's asinine and insulting.

I don't think I did say that William and Kate or any other human being has to plan their childbearing schedule to please everyone. I don't think I said that THIS pregnancy should have been planned around the Malta trip or any other event. I simply said that women in general (at least in first world countries) have choices as to when they will be pregnant.

Last edited:
If any royal couple decided not to book any royal engagements whilst trying for a child, then firstly, how intrusive is that and 2ndly they might not be working for quite a while ( even more intrusive given the time scale, ie Charlene and Albert; Stephanie and Guillaume).

I find it appalling that anyone is blaming Catherine for being ill whilst pregnant.

Please, lets leave this aspect alone

I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that the RF thinks in terms of decades, even centuries, rather than in terms of weeks and months. Barring tragedy or divorce, Kate will be expected to spend at least the next fifty or so years performing royal duties, and her inability to attend to this two day event is of little importance in the general scheme of things. Her main duty at this point in her royal career is to breed, and that is what she is doing.

If any royal couple decided not to book any royal engagements whilst trying for a child, then firstly, how intrusive is that and 2ndly they might not be working for quite a while ( even more intrusive given the time scale, ie Charlene and Albert; Stephanie and Guillaume).

I find it appalling that anyone is blaming Catherine for being ill whilst pregnant.

Please, lets leave this aspect alone

I don't think anyone's blaming Catherine for being sick. Nor do I think anyone - at least not anyone using logic - is saying that royals shouldn't book engagements while trying to get pregnant.

I do think that if a royal woman is trying to get pregnant and knows it's very likely that she'll be severely ill during her pregnancy then she should consider not booking any major engagements, like say foreign tours. Or, if she knows that it's very likely that she'll be severely ill during her pregnancy then she should postpone trying to get pregnant until after any major engagements, like foreign tours, that have already been booked have happened.

Kate shouldn't be faulted for being sick, or for being pregnant, or whatnot. However, IF they were trying to get pregnant, then it was kind of bad planning on their part to not expect Kate to be seriously ill and wait until after Malta to start trying. That is a big if though, and once again we don't know that they were planning this pregnancy at all.

Too many if's , but's and however's for me Ish. It just seems you're trying your best to be clever with your criticisms of Kate's pregnancy.

I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that the RF thinks in terms of decades, even centuries, rather than in terms of weeks and months. Barring tragedy or divorce, Kate will be expected to spend at least the next fifty or so years performing royal duties, and her inability to attend to this two day event is of little importance in the general scheme of things. Her main duty at this point in her royal career is to breed, and that is what she is doing.

Agreed. As brash as it may sound, Catherine's number one duty right now is to provide the monarchy with children. She has the rest of her life to undertake public Royal duties. She isn't even the wife of the Heir Apparent yet. When she is, no doubt her workload will reflect that. For now, it isn't difficult to send her husband in her place so she can focus on having a healthier, smoother pregnancy. The baby comes first.

I don't think anyone's blaming Catherine for being sick. Nor do I think anyone - at least not anyone using logic - is saying that royals shouldn't book engagements while trying to get pregnant.

I do think that if a royal woman is trying to get pregnant and knows it's very likely that she'll be severely ill during her pregnancy then she should consider not booking any major engagements, like say foreign tours. Or, if she knows that it's very likely that she'll be severely ill during her pregnancy then she should postpone trying to get pregnant until after any major engagements, like foreign tours, that have already been booked have happened.

Kate shouldn't be faulted for being sick, or for being pregnant, or whatnot. However, IF they were trying to get pregnant, then it was kind of bad planning on their part to not expect Kate to be seriously ill and wait until after Malta to start trying. That is a big if though, and once again we don't know that they were planning this pregnancy at all.

Once a couple is getting some of that "cookie"- doors slam, people scream and glass shatter. The last thing you're thinking about is a trip to Malta.

Seriously though, the whole trip worked out fine. She's not able to go and now William will carry out the duties in Catherine's place.

I don't think I did say that William and Kate or any other human being has to plan their childbearing schedule to please everyone. I don't think I said that THIS pregnancy should have been planned around the Malta trip or any other event. I simply said that women in general (at least in first world countries) have choices as to when they will be pregnant.

The second part of my post is for the posters saying they should have waited to conceive until after Malta - or that they are surprised they tried for another child before Malta.

However, I stand by the first part of my post. Yes, women have more choices about conception-but they don't totally prevent conception.

Hope your scissors are sharp enough for the hairs you're splitting. Kate shouldn't be faulted for being pregnant or sick, but they should be faulted for lack of planning skills about said pregnancy?

And all of this fuss because they'll disappoint Malta, royal watchers and the press?!

Again, it's ridiculous to suggest that a tour, engagement or any other activity should take precedence over bringing a child into the world.

Duke of Cambridge to visit Malta, 20-21 September 2014

The trip to Malta is 2 days which is nothing compared to the other foreign tours that they have done. It's not like they were trying for baby 2 right before the NZ/Aus 3 week tour

It may have been just a happy accident. The royal engagements are book several months ahead. There is always something that can get cancelled due to illness. The Queen even had to cancel a foreign visit to Italy due to illness last year.

Also why is Kate at fault, she not get pregnant without William.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:

The problem with this, is that you can't always plan a pregnancy. It happens when it happens. For some it will be faster/easier than others.

Let's say a royal waited until after a major event to try. What happens if she doesn't get pregnant right away? Does she postpone all major tours/events until she does get pregnant? Does she stop trying to have a child because it might interfere with a royal engagement?

It's possible that W&K were taking precautions to prevent a pregnancy. Or maybe they were trying, but didn't think it would happen so quickly. None of it is really any of our business and whatever the case, she can't go, so William has stepped in to take over for her.

Last edited:
It appeared that their first pregnancy may have been planned to begin after the Canada tour, the Jubilee, the Olympics, the tour to Singapore,etc. Why should future children have to be pencilled into the Way Ahead Book? I'm sure the whole family rejoices at this news and is not overly concerned about what anyone else, including the people of Malta, thinks!

Last edited:
I wonder if Rebecca Deacon goes along with William instead of Miguel going. Since it was Kate's tour, Rebecca was most likely the key planner from the KP side. Or maybe they both go to Malta? They probably had to cancel the hairdresser for the tour also.

In no way am i shocked that Kate isnt going on this trip - from the moment the announcement was made and that she was suffering again from HG this trip was off for her. She only had about 10days to make a full recovery and with her condition that seemed highly unlikely.

What surprised me was the pregnancy announcement in itself - William and Kate have clearly known about this trip for a long time probably from spring time. Therefore i am very surprised they didnt wait to try for another baby til after Malta. There has been criticism about Kate's lack of duties on various forums/media outlets and this was a big opportunity for her to step up.

This really surprises me that someone would think that this couple have to plan a baby according to royal duties.........if they did then there sure wouldn't be a baby at all. And why should they plan a baby this way.........this is the time for Catherine and William to have their children while they are still young enough to have them and he isn't the heir yet, his father The Prince of Wales is the heir. Why do some people always complain that she isn't working, work shy, afraid to work, do they want to see the clothes she wears, to hear what she says, see the handshakes or what...she is a young mother with a baby at home, so what if she has someone to scrub the floor or do the laundry or cook, she still has to nurture, love, teach, and protect her child and support her husband. I bet there is lots of work that goes into the planning of any day of the week for each of them, lots of information to read on who they will meet, who hand to shake, where to stand, where to sit, what to say and what to remember, each day there is royal duties, I bet there are many nights where they are studying the next days events. It isn't all just show up and smile and shake and shake a hand..........it work behind the scenes. This grip over her not working has been going on for years now, think about it for a change.....why does anyone want to see her working? What is the reason behind this? She is married to him and what she does comes with the support of her husband as we all know how protective William is of her.........leave her alone to have her children and enjoy them now while she can as later there will be hundreds of royal duties for her to go to and perform. :)

Skippyboo; It may have been just a happy accident. The royal engagements are book several months ahead. There is always something that can get cancelled due to illness. The Queen even had to cancel a foreign visit to Italy due to illness last year. [B said:
Also why is Kate at fault, she not get pregnant without William.[/B]
It's always the woman fault when she gets pregnant, a man has nothing to do with it............:bang::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Again, it's ridiculous to suggest that a tour, engagement or any other activity should take precedence over bringing a child into the world.

Now we must remember that a baby does not come first when the people want to see Catherine working, my goodness how dare she have a baby now......:eek:.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do any of us actually think that when the Malta Anniversary coverage by a member of the family came up and candidates were considered, that the royal schedulers never gave a thought about the Cambridge family plans?

I personally think, at this level, the Queen might have bothered to have a say. I'll speculate farther and say it's my opinion that she supported this as a terrific first solo official visit for Kate. And I will go even farther and guess that she knew they were going to work on expanding the family this year.

However, I also think the royal deciders of these things thought that if Catherine were to be sick in any way, like any other royal scheduled for appearances, that they would deal with it. And if she were not sick - the trip was a perfect fit for Kate at this point in her career. And above all, no one can predict when a royal will be sick, much less become pregnant.

To put this bluntly, I have no doubt that the Queen would never expect a working royal to arrange a pregnancy to suit a schedule. She's not of the age that would consider it and moreover, she sees it all part of the divine workings of the monarchy.

This is just my opinion. But I really think they approached the choice of Kate for Malta with a Keep Calm and Carry on POV.

Last edited:
Do any of us actually think that when the Malta Anniversary coverage by a member of the family came up and candidates were considered, that the royal schedulers never gave a thought about the Cambridge family plans?

I personally think, at this level, the Queen might have bothered to have a say. I'll speculate farther and say it's my opinion that she supported this as a terrific first solo official visit for Kate. And I will go even farther and guess that she knew they were going to work on expanding the family this year.

However, I also think the royal deciders of these things thought that if Catherine were to be sick in any way, like any other royal scheduled for appearances, that they would deal with it. And if she were not sick - the trip was a perfect fit for Kate at this point in her career. And above all, no one can predict when a royal will be sick, much less become pregnant.

To put this bluntly, I have no doubt that the Queen would never expect a working royal to arrange a pregnancy to suit a schedule. She's not of the age that would consider it and moreover, she sees it all part of the divine workings of the monarchy.

This is just my opinion. But I really think they approached the choice of Kate for Malta with a Keep Calm and Carry on POV.

Of course! All contingencies and eventualities would be considered when planning any Royal undertaking, I'm sure.

I wonder if Rebecca Deacon goes along with William instead of Miguel going. Since it was Kate's tour, Rebecca was most likely the key planner from the KP side. Or maybe they both go to Malta? They probably had to cancel the hairdresser for the tour also.

I say the hairdresser still goes - William could use a bit of styling in the hair department, IMO.:whistling: I wonder if William will still look at the artwork that had been specially penciled in for Catherine.

Malta: From the archives-
Ahead of The Duke of Cambridge's visit to Malta from 20th - 22nd September, here is a collection of photos from the Royal Archives of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh in Malta in 1949-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishmonarchy/sets/72157647341397900

Martin @CourtierUK · 1h
William’s programme begins this afternoon with call on President & PM. Then historical reenactment, visit to library & evening celebrations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom