The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
It can be Beatrice

It could be Beatrice, but it could be seen as a bit of an insult to Malta. "You were going to get a woman who is expected to one day be Queen consort, but instead you're going to get a woman who we don't even usually recognize in the CC."

If Kate can't go then they should be sending someone of a close rank. To me that would be William, Harry, one of the Queen's children, Camilla, or Sophie. It would not be appropriate to substitute Kate with Beatrice, Eugenie, one of the Kents, or one of the Gloucesters.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles and Camilla have commitments on one of the days and the Duke of Gloucester has commitments on the other according to the FE but...there could be other commitments not listed for others.

My experience with the FE is that about 50% of engagements aren't listed this far out and meetings, receptions etc aren't listed in advance at all - only 'out and about' events make the FE.

Edward and Sophie will still be in Canada on the 20th so probably not them as they couldn't get from Canada to Malta in time.

Beatrice won't be going because she isn't a 'full-time' royal and they won't let her take on such a high profile job for a number of reasons but mainly because they appear to be moving ahead without wanting or needing her as a working member of the family.

William is supposedly starting his training for the Air Ambulance in September and he will be busy with that surely soon as he has to do 6 months of training.

The activities in Malta do seem to have been planned for a young woman more than a middle aged male so Beatrice does fit the bill but I don't see her going.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

The Malta tour is on a weekend so maybe William can squeeze it in. Since he was out and about this week, it doesn't appear that his training has started yet.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Morning sickness is unpredictable, and there's no treatment for it but fluids, HG included. It can come and go. I highly doubt she's going - the BRF if just finalizing plans for the substitute behind the scenes. JMHO, of course.
We need to remember that HG bears as much resemblance to normal morning sickness as an F-5 hurricane does to a gentle summer shower. It's a debilitating condition with near-continuous violent vomiting with the resultant dehydration and nutrition deprivation. The vomiting can even cause permanent etching of the teeth due to all the acid. I read on another site where a woman reported that she lost 30 pounds in just three weeks because of HG and didn't gain weight at all during the pregnancy despite hospitalization. Replacement IV-fluids are for the dehydration and to provide nutrition and don't usually quell the vomiting. Women in the past died from HG. Often it will last the whole nine months of pregnancy so Catherine was lucky with George. It also has about a 90% rate of recurrence with future pregnancies so it's a brave woman to intentionally take it on again.

I would be astonished if The Duchess goes to Malta. HG normally doesn't resolve this quickly but I hope for her sake that it does...
Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
It could be Beatrice, but it could be seen as a bit of an insult to Malta. "You were going to get a woman who is expected to one day be Queen consort, but instead you're going to get a woman who we don't even usually recognize in the CC."
Would it really be perceived as an insult to Malta? Kate may one day be Queen Consort, but she's not yet. Beatrice is a granddaughter of the current Queen Regnant who lived in Malta in her early married life. She might not be recognised in the CC but she has Royal blood in her veins. She is a Royal Princess. Beatrice could do the meetings and greetings and document-inspections and event-watching just as well if not better than Kate and can speak to people about what her grandmother has told her over the last 26 years about her days living in Malta as a young woman.

I'd love to see Beatrice be the one to go.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Would it really be perceived as an insult to Malta? Kate may one day be Queen Consort, but she's not yet. Beatrice is a granddaughter of the current Queen Regnant who lived in Malta in her early married life. She might not be recognised in the CC but she has Royal blood in her veins. She is a Royal Princess. Beatrice could do the meetings and greetings and document-inspections and event-watching just as well if not better than Kate and can speak to people about what her grandmother has told her over the last 26 years about her days living in Malta as a young woman.

So would I. In fact, Beatrice was the first person I thought of when it became apparent (at least to me!) that Catherine would not be able to go. I've read that people who have met her on public occasions remark on how charming and well-prepared she is.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I would love to see Beatrice take up more of a royal role because I get the impression that she wants to. In the future if she wanted to undertake engagements or tours I think she should, and she should get the same recognition as William, Harry, and Kate.

That said, I do think that when you've made plans for a tour of a high ranking royal, even one who is only a part-time working royal, and circumstances change and you have to substitute her out it's a bit of an insult to the country to not get another high ranking royal. Beatrice might be of the royal blood and a good person and all of that - and she could be an asset to the family if the family let her - but she's not a high ranking royal. Kate is, even though she's not of the royal blood and is still only part-time.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:46 AM
Aristocracy

Its just too high profile of an event for Bea to replace the Duchess of Cambridge. Bea's role within the family will always be in support or on the periphery, not the main stage.
I think Kate may still go but if not it will be one of the main players to replace her. A regular working royal but not Beatrice out of blue.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Beatrice is the perfect choice. She is a princess, she is a young woman, and she has more "star power" than some of the other royals, which is probably what Malta wants. Having Andrew go will not draw attention to Malta, or even Sophie, but Beatrice's going will.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Courtier

I don't see the Duchess going, unfortunately.

I think it will be Prince Andrew. Even so, it's possible Beatrice, may not wish to go!

Catherine's doctors know full well, that if they give the green light for her to go to Malta, and it all goes horribly wrong, they will bear a public backlash for that. Also, their credibility as doctors, acting for her, may be called into question! I think they will go for the safer option, and advise the visit be cancelled for her!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Courtier

We will soon know??
Old 09-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
We will soon know??

Kate will make a decision by wednesday so we will know by then
Old 09-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey · 6h
Duchess of Cambridge "very keen" to go to Malta- leaving decision to last min. William may go instead if she isn't up to it @sundayexpress1

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Well said, Roslyn! I wish the York-family hater would just go away. They make no sense at all
Old 09-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

Has Beatrice done anything close to the Malta trip before? Does she have any experience representing the Queen in any compactly on her own?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 09-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Aristocracy

No she hasn't and the Queen isn't about to start now with her. Its nothing against Bea or the Yorks but this event is just too high profile and too "Royal" for Bea. Bea is a loved family member and she will always have a bit part to play within the family if she chooses but it won't be representing the Queen at a nation's 50th anniversary celebration of gaining independence from Britain.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
We need to remember that HG bears as much resemblance to normal morning sickness as an F-5 hurricane does to a gentle summer shower. It's a debilitating condition with near-continuous violent vomiting with the resultant dehydration and nutrition deprivation. The vomiting can even cause permanent etching of the teeth due to all the acid. I read on another site where a woman reported that she lost 30 pounds in just three weeks because of HG and didn't gain weight at all during the pregnancy despite hospitalization. Replacement IV-fluids are for the dehydration and to provide nutrition and don't usually quell the vomiting. Women in the past died from HG. Often it will last the whole nine months of pregnancy so Catherine was lucky with George. It also has about a 90% rate of recurrence with future pregnancies so it's a brave woman to intentionally take it on again.

I would be astonished if The Duchess goes to Malta. HG normally doesn't resolve this quickly but I hope for her sake that it does...
Women in the past died from childbirth, too. Kate's got the best of medical attention - she won't dehydrate. And she recovered so quickly the first time. 10 days after release from hospital she was at an awards ceremony, and the first time is usually the worst. I'm not saying she's not sick, but I am not too concerned.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've actually heard that HG gets worse with each pregnancy.

I don't see Beatrice going. Like others have said, this is a high profile event and I think it calls for a more senior royal. If Kate doesn't go, I think it will be Harry or William.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Me too. Partly because Beatrice really seems to enjoy doing royal duties; she also likes history, and I think she'd have a great time seeing the place where her grandmother and grandfather lived sixty-five years ago.

I feel sorry for Kate that she might not be able to go, since I'm sure she's been looking forwards to this trip. Hope she feels better as soon as she apparently did the last time.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey · 6h
Duchess of Cambridge "very keen" to go to Malta- leaving decision to last min. William may go instead if she isn't up to it @sundayexpress1
Yeah, I figured it might be William or Harry. I think William is a good choice.