Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Malta - September 20-21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Duchess is not able to travel to Malta next week, Prince Andrew, is supposedly, going to go instead.

If the Duchess is not able to travel to Malta next week, Prince Andrew, is supposedly, going to go instead.

Interesting - where did you see that?

I asked @RoyalReporter for the latest info

@RoyalReporter: Kate will decide by Wednesday at the latest whether she is well enough to go. If not, the Royal Family hope to send a replacement

@RoyalReporter: It's not clear who the replacement will be yet if one is required.

i don't think she will make it. even if she feels good wednesday, it's too much of a commitment to say yes and then find out that she can't be there because her sickness is kicking in. i'm afraid i'm almost convinced she will be replaced for it.

I would have thought William or Harry would go in her place though I don't know their diaries. Camilla or Sophie would be other options but I think Sophie is still in Canada during those dates.

I guess we'll see what will happen. Judging by William's very happy pictures of late, I think the worst part of Catherine's sickness has calmed down and she's just resting up at the moment. If she cancels, then we'll know she's truly not up to making the visit. I think she'd be very disappointed for not being able to make it and carry out this trip for the Queen. I think if she go, her doctors might accompany her too.

I guess we'll see what will happen. Judging by William's very happy pictures of late, I think the worst part of Catherine's sickness has calmed down and she's just resting up at the moment. If she cancels, then we'll know she's truly not up to making the visit. I think she'd be very disappointed for not being able to make it and carry out this trip for the Queen. I think if she go, her doctors might accompany her too.

The difference, I think, this time around is that they know what to expect when it comes to HG. It is very possible that from what had gone down before, this time around she was placed on an IV at KP as soon as the symptoms started (I recall her being on an IV from her first pregnancy). We really don't know the details.

I think she really wants to go. I am sure they are doing everything possible to get her well enough so she can go.

Hopefully Kate can go. If not, it would be easiest for William or Harry to go since its been set up thru the KP staff -mostly likely Rebecca Deacon as Kate's Private Secretary.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If she is fit and well on Wednesday, how are they able to predict what she'll feel like the following Saturday, and Sunday?

I recall people saying 'Prince Andrew', but time will tell?

If she is fit and well on Wednesday, how are they able to predict what she'll feel like the following Saturday, and Sunday?

Those are my thoughts too... it's quite unpredictable and quite an important event to risk it. maybe they are planning her doctors will travel with her in case anything happens? we will hopefully know more soon.

Unlike us, the doctors actually know what is going on with Kate and how she is responding. The doctor also know how long Kate was sick with George and when she got better.

The PoW and Queen take a doctor with them on tour. Kate's doctor could easily come along to Malta.

Unlike us, the doctors actually know what is going on with Kate and how she is responding. The doctor also know how long Kate was sick with George and when she got better.

The PoW and Queen take a doctor with them on tour. Kate's doctor could easily come along to Malta.

Morning sickness is unpredictable, and there's no treatment for it but fluids, HG included. It can come and go. I highly doubt she's going - the BRF if just finalizing plans for the substitute behind the scenes. JMHO, of course.

^^^ I have to agree. IMO it will be one of Charles' siblings.

^^^ I have to agree. IMO it will be one of Charles' siblings.

I think it will be anyone that can fit these dates into their calendar. :)

So if she isn't going I expect a statement right? It should come by wednesday...

I think that Beatrice could cut a good figure there but I am sure that she will not attend...

It can be Beatrice

It could be Beatrice, but it could be seen as a bit of an insult to Malta. "You were going to get a woman who is expected to one day be Queen consort, but instead you're going to get a woman who we don't even usually recognize in the CC."

If Kate can't go then they should be sending someone of a close rank. To me that would be William, Harry, one of the Queen's children, Camilla, or Sophie. It would not be appropriate to substitute Kate with Beatrice, Eugenie, one of the Kents, or one of the Gloucesters.

Charles and Camilla have commitments on one of the days and the Duke of Gloucester has commitments on the other according to the FE but...there could be other commitments not listed for others.

My experience with the FE is that about 50% of engagements aren't listed this far out and meetings, receptions etc aren't listed in advance at all - only 'out and about' events make the FE.

Edward and Sophie will still be in Canada on the 20th so probably not them as they couldn't get from Canada to Malta in time.

Beatrice won't be going because she isn't a 'full-time' royal and they won't let her take on such a high profile job for a number of reasons but mainly because they appear to be moving ahead without wanting or needing her as a working member of the family.

William is supposedly starting his training for the Air Ambulance in September and he will be busy with that surely soon as he has to do 6 months of training.

The activities in Malta do seem to have been planned for a young woman more than a middle aged male so Beatrice does fit the bill but I don't see her going.

Last edited:
The Malta tour is on a weekend so maybe William can squeeze it in. Since he was out and about this week, it doesn't appear that his training has started yet.

Morning sickness is unpredictable, and there's no treatment for it but fluids, HG included. It can come and go. I highly doubt she's going - the BRF if just finalizing plans for the substitute behind the scenes. JMHO, of course.
We need to remember that HG bears as much resemblance to normal morning sickness as an F-5 hurricane does to a gentle summer shower. It's a debilitating condition with near-continuous violent vomiting with the resultant dehydration and nutrition deprivation. The vomiting can even cause permanent etching of the teeth due to all the acid. I read on another site where a woman reported that she lost 30 pounds in just three weeks because of HG and didn't gain weight at all during the pregnancy despite hospitalization. Replacement IV-fluids are for the dehydration and to provide nutrition and don't usually quell the vomiting. Women in the past died from HG. Often it will last the whole nine months of pregnancy so Catherine was lucky with George. It also has about a 90% rate of recurrence with future pregnancies so it's a brave woman to intentionally take it on again.

I would be astonished if The Duchess goes to Malta. HG normally doesn't resolve this quickly but I hope for her sake that it does...

It could be Beatrice, but it could be seen as a bit of an insult to Malta. "You were going to get a woman who is expected to one day be Queen consort, but instead you're going to get a woman who we don't even usually recognize in the CC."

Would it really be perceived as an insult to Malta? Kate may one day be Queen Consort, but she's not yet. Beatrice is a granddaughter of the current Queen Regnant who lived in Malta in her early married life. She might not be recognised in the CC but she has Royal blood in her veins. She is a Royal Princess. Beatrice could do the meetings and greetings and document-inspections and event-watching just as well if not better than Kate and can speak to people about what her grandmother has told her over the last 26 years about her days living in Malta as a young woman.

I'd love to see Beatrice be the one to go.

Would it really be perceived as an insult to Malta? Kate may one day be Queen Consort, but she's not yet. Beatrice is a granddaughter of the current Queen Regnant who lived in Malta in her early married life. She might not be recognised in the CC but she has Royal blood in her veins. She is a Royal Princess. Beatrice could do the meetings and greetings and document-inspections and event-watching just as well if not better than Kate and can speak to people about what her grandmother has told her over the last 26 years about her days living in Malta as a young woman.

So would I. In fact, Beatrice was the first person I thought of when it became apparent (at least to me!) that Catherine would not be able to go. I've read that people who have met her on public occasions remark on how charming and well-prepared she is.

I would love to see Beatrice take up more of a royal role because I get the impression that she wants to. In the future if she wanted to undertake engagements or tours I think she should, and she should get the same recognition as William, Harry, and Kate.

That said, I do think that when you've made plans for a tour of a high ranking royal, even one who is only a part-time working royal, and circumstances change and you have to substitute her out it's a bit of an insult to the country to not get another high ranking royal. Beatrice might be of the royal blood and a good person and all of that - and she could be an asset to the family if the family let her - but she's not a high ranking royal. Kate is, even though she's not of the royal blood and is still only part-time.

Its just too high profile of an event for Bea to replace the Duchess of Cambridge. Bea's role within the family will always be in support or on the periphery, not the main stage.
I think Kate may still go but if not it will be one of the main players to replace her. A regular working royal but not Beatrice out of blue.

Beatrice is the perfect choice. She is a princess, she is a young woman, and she has more "star power" than some of the other royals, which is probably what Malta wants. Having Andrew go will not draw attention to Malta, or even Sophie, but Beatrice's going will.

I don't see the Duchess going, unfortunately.

I think it will be Prince Andrew. Even so, it's possible Beatrice, may not wish to go!

Catherine's doctors know full well, that if they give the green light for her to go to Malta, and it all goes horribly wrong, they will bear a public backlash for that. Also, their credibility as doctors, acting for her, may be called into question! I think they will go for the safer option, and advise the visit be cancelled for her!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom