The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

My apologies then, Ladongas...

Your irony wasn't apparent and it isn't a quality i associate with Americans TBH !

Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

Apology accepted.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Press Release

https://www.gov.mt/en/Communities/Me...-Advisory.aspx

Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I adore Caravaggio and am so jealous that The Duchess will get to see St. Jerome and The Beheading of St. John at the Cathedral in Valletta. Lucky girl. On the other hand, I've never enjoyed the era's fascination with the beheading of St. John (or any other painting of the moment or martyrdom as a subject). The composition of that Caravaggio is spectacular but the emotion of it makes my skin crawl - which was probably the intent. He signed his name in the blood pool in the painting - ick.
For those of you not familiar with Caravaggio - he was a late 16th century genius with paint and composition. His male nudes are spectacular. His body of remaining work is relatively small and many attributed Caravaggios have been outed as originating with other artists. He's famous for composition and the use of deep shadow and depth in his paintings. For me, his work is so lifelike that I almost expect the figures to speak or step out of the canvas.
He also tended to choose dark and gruesome themes in his paintings: Thomas inserting his hand into the spear wound in Jesus' side, multiple beheadings, the Infant Jesus stepping on a writhing serpent, etc. Finally, many of his canvases are large enough that the figures in them are more or less life size. Seeing a Caravaggio can pack an emotional punch. He was a genius.
He was also a hot mess. He was a temperamental brawler and a multiple murderer as a result of those brawls. His time in Malta was dictated by the fact that the island insured his freedom while the Pope was hunting him down for murder on the mainland.
Anyway, just so that I can vicariously live out a dream, I am throwing a Caravaggio bucket challenge out to the Duchess of Cambridge. She needs to go and see all of them over the next decade. I get to sit at home and see them vicariously.
I think that's a reasonable request.
The two Caravaggios that Kate will see:
The Beheading of Saint John the Baptist (Caravaggio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saint Jerome Writing (Caravaggio, Valletta) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Martin @CourtierUK · 3h
This solo visit to Malta could be a defining factor for Kate. If she performs well, she’ll prove she can handle more engagements solo...

Martin @CourtierUK · 3h
…otherwise, I suspect there’ll be more of a focus on engagements done with W for near future!

I actually think she has already proven that she can do solo engagements just fine. I think she will now show us that she can carry out official foreign tours on her own.

I thinks she's going to do a fantastic job and I'm sure she's getting herself well prepared for the trip.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

An island fit for a Duchess! How stunning Malta is gearing up to welcome Kate on her first solo foreign tour-
Malta is gearing up to welcome Kate Duchess of Cambridge on her first solo foreign tour | Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Bitter Sweet Story of the Maltese Princess-
The Bitter Sweet Story of the Maltese Princess

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Nobility

It is good to see the Duchess undertake her first solo overseas trip, but the schedule looks far from heavy.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It is good to see the Duchess undertake her first solo overseas trip, but the schedule looks far from heavy.
It's a lot being packed into two days.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h
Kensington Palace says a decision will be taken closer to the time on whether Kate will go to Malta on September 20 and 21.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Apparentyl if she is gonna miss Malta, they will send Prince Andrew
Old 09-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Majesty

or perhaps Princes William or Harry could attend on her behalf?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h
Kensington Palace says a decision will be taken closer to the time on whether Kate will go to Malta on September 20 and 21.
I know they are taking it day by day situation but this is an oversea visit and I think they should make a decision sooner than later. Since they know her condition, might as well cancel instead of canceling last minute.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I know they are taking it day by day situation but this is an oversea visit and I think they should make a decision sooner than later. Since they know her condition, might as well cancel instead of canceling last minute.
I am sure the event will be attended by a member of the BRF. They can take a decision closer to the time if Catherine is well enough to go or not. If not, I am sure William, Harry, Andrew or Edward could attend on her behalf.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I think that if there's any risk of Kate not being well enough to perform whatever duties have been planned for her in Malta, she should cancel now so plans can be finalised for Andrew, or whoever else is chosen to go in her stead. It seems that she can be well one day and sick as a dog the next, so even if she were feeling up to the task two days before the scheduled trip to Malta, she could be too sick to be able to get out of bed the next morning. It would be dreadful if she went but was laid low and couldn't attend any of the planned events.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Commoner

maybe they already have a plan B and Andrew/Edward/William/Harry already know that maybe they need to go to Malta? Maybe Kate also wants to go to Malta and hopes that she will be fit enough to make this tour.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

IIRC Kate started to feel better after the hospitalization... So mabe she will go next week...

I don't think they have a plan b because no one expected this pregnancy since she is in early weeks...

The press seems to think they'll send Andrew...
Old 09-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Commoner

nobody expected it, but they can ask now, if someone else has the time to go to Malta in place of Kate. I doubt that they will wait until one day before departure and decide then. I think they will start now with thinking about a plan B.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

It may be the case that she'll rest up before the trip or someone will go in her place. I think she'll be rather disappointed in not being able to make this though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Courtier

Honestly I don't think it's a good idea for her to make this trip,at least alone, if her morning sickness is indeed very bad it can be very unpredictable .....what if she feels fine on the 20th to make the plane ride, but wakes up on the 21st AKA the most important day, with morning sickness,such that she will not able to participate that day.....what happens then? Who's gonna step in for her?

(And btw there's a slight mistake which many posters, and news papers are making which I'd like to point out, this trip will not be Kate's tour of Malta, her presence in the country will be as a spectator in the celebrations marking the 50th year of our independence)