The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Courtier

I don't know If I got my history correct. Didn't Malta actually ask to made a part of the British Empire for protection and at one point they nearly even became part of the United Kingdom but the plan fell through. I think it was clear for Malta either become a part of the UK or be indepedent.

It would be quite frankly insulting not invite a member of BRF who had nothing but respect for the island and its people.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
I think it's great that Kate is taking up more engagements especially since she is the potential future queen of the uk......but personally, as citizen of the Free and Indipendant Republic of Malta, I think it's a bit insulting to send a member of the family ruling the country which used to rule my country.....we are celebrating 50 years of independence from England...and we commemorate this day by inviting representatives of the country which was preventing this from happening earlier ....IMO the indipendance celebrations should include Maltese people only cos IMO inventing representatives of the BRF will detract attention from the importance of the event....sry if I sound a bit hostile it's not that I don't won't royals in Malta cos we've had royals from all over the world visiting (which we all greeted warmly) But indipendance celebrations are not the same as the inauguration of an exhibition at the British embassy in Ta' Xbiex
It is a bit ironic. The same thing happened in the US. HM and DoE visited Washington DC during the bicentennial celebrating independence from the British. HM was gracious and commented in a humorous fashion IIRC. I'm sure Kate will be well prepped on her role. looking forward to seeing her on the stage alone.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Late Princess of Wales on her first Solo Trip:

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Lets not over- egg this. she is going solo in a Commonwealthcountry which is good; it is a short trip (1 night away). So dont make out to be something tremendous because if it isnt,then the negative people will blame her.

and speaking of negativepeople, there is no reason to be negative either. she is doing a job on behalf of the Queen. she didnt decide on the programme as it is a national event. Just go with it.

Hope she likes the sound of church bells - lots of them at once, most of the time. Thatsmy abiding memory of Malta. But it is alovely place with lovely people.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-22-2014, 03:44 AM
Courtier

Ok so perhaps 'insult' was too strong a word to use ...but what I meant was that the central event should be centered around the country and it's people from 1964 till today. I am well aware that it's the Maltese government who sent the invitation but that does not mean that I have to agree with the decision either.....I am very proud that my country was able to have a very civil and peaceful separation from the Uk while still maintaining good relations after.....therefore I think that yes we should celebrate that fact but perhaps at a different event on the day...just not the main one on the Fosos square in Floriana.
I am certain that Kate will receive a warm welcome that's how we do things here it's part of our culture...we welcome every one ....but I'm afraid that with her presence the media will be too focused on how she looks during the visit and create drama about leaving her child at home rather than the event she went to commemorate ....I know that that's not some thing she has control over.....but it's rather a shame
Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Ok so perhaps 'insult' was too strong a word to use ...but what I meant was that the central event should be centered around the country and it's people from 1964 till today. I am well aware that it's the Maltese government who sent the invitation but that does not mean that I have to agree with the decision either.....I am very proud that my country was able to have a very civil and peaceful separation from the Uk while still maintaining good relations after.....therefore I think that yes we should celebrate that fact but perhaps at a different event on the day...just not the main one on the Fosos square in Floriana.
I am certain that Kate will receive a warm welcome that's how we do things here it's part of our culture...we welcome every one ....but I'm afraid that with her presence the media will be too focused on how she looks during the visit and create drama about leaving her child at home rather than the event she went to commemorate ....I know that that's not some thing she has control over.....but it's rather a shame
I do have to agree with you about the focus being on what she wears and any other little thing that will have no relation to the actual significance of the reason that she's there. For this we need to blame the media. Kate, herself, I think will be very grounded into where she is, why she is there and do her best to represent The Queen in the best possible manner.

To be honest, I think that this engagement would be one that the Queen would really have liked to attended in person as Malta has meant so much to her in the past. Perhaps this is what affected her decision to send Kate solo.

I do hope that the press does give more attention to why she is there rather than the inanities that really don't matter.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It would be very useful to know exactly what Malta intends to do events wise on the day of its celebration of 50 years of independence and how this will be projected to the rest of the world. I am sorry to say that until this thread was started, I had no idea Catherine was visiting the country and when I started reading the thread today, it was only then that I found out that Malta was celebrating 50 years of independence! I hope this significant and celebratory event is covered fully here in the UK and not just because of a royal visit.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I hope this significant and celebratory event is covered fully here in the UK and not just because of a royal visit.
I think it is unlikely that other than the broadsheet papers, this event will receive the coverage you hope for. No doubt the BBC will attempt to provide a historical slant on events, but other than that, I should imagine Kate's first solo foreign visit will indeed be considered the newsworthy item. I venture to say that were there no British Royals attending, the tabloids probably would confine any coverage to a small item on an inside page. I can well understand the frustration by some but I am afraid that is how it is.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

The programme for the Duchess of Cambridge's visit to Malta from 20-21 September has been announced by Kensington Palace.

Saturday 20 September

Event 1: Call on the President of Malta at San Anton Palace,
where the Duchess will be staying.

Event 2: Call on the Prime Minister of Malta at Auberge de Castille.

Event 3: In Guardia Pageant, Palace Square, Valletta
The Duchess will view a re-enactment of an historical event – the inspection of the fort and garrison by the Grand Bailiff of the Order of the Knights of St John. A variety of military drills will be displayed.

Event 4: National Library, Valletta
The Duchess will view a number of historical documents, including letters from King Henry VIII and George II, and the original citation awarding the George Cross to Malta.

Event 5: Independence Day Celebrations, Upper Barrakka Gardens
The Duchess will attend an evening celebration. The backdrop to the celebration will be the spectacular view of the Grand Harbour.

Sunday 21 September

Event 6: Independence Day Service, St John's Co-Cathedral
The Duchess will attend a church service. She will later view the two Caravaggios in the Cathedral Museum.

Event 7: Access Centre in Vittoriosa
The Duchess will visit Agenzija Zghazagh (Agency for Youth), a government agency which runs a number of initiatives for young people. HRH will hear about the work of the agency from the young people who use the centre and their support workers.

Event 8: Short walk in Vittoriosa Square
The Duchess will take a short walk through the town square. She will then be taken to the Church of St Lawrence to view Maltese art before leaving for the harbour.

Event 9: Boat Tour, Grand Harbour
The Duchess will take a short boat tour across the Grand Harbour to see some iconic views between Vittoriosa and Valletta.

Event 10: The High Commissioner's Garden Party, High Commissioner's Residence
The Duchess will attend an Independence Day Celebration hosted by the British High Commissioner.

https://www.facebook.com/majestymagazine

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm so excited! A big step up for the Duchess of Cambridge!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I'm so excited! A big step up for the Duchess of Cambridge!
It is indeed very exciting and it's a huge step for Catherine as a senior member of the royal family to represent Her Majesty The Queen on her first official solo visit to Malta.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 13m
Ten engagements in two days in Malta for Kate sounds busier than usual. Small distances to travel though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Courtier

It's very nice to see The Duchess of Cambridge performing important engagements by her own. I'm sure The Queen and The Duchess of Cornwall will have lots of advice to give to her.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, heading to Malta on solo foreign tour on behalf of the Queen | Mail Online
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton set for first solo overseas trip to mark Malta's independence | Royal | News | Daily Express
Quote:
KENSINGTON Palace has announced a busy programme of 10 engagements in two days for the Duchess of Cambridge in Malta next month on her first official solo overseas visit.
Kate, 32, will be away from her husband Prince William and their 13-month-old son Prince George for one night when she travels to the Mediterranean island on September 20 and 21 to mark the 50th anniversary of its independence from Britain.
Her programme will include plenty of pomp and pageantry as the strategic island, given the George Cross by King George VI to mark the bravery of its people during the Second World War, turns out to greet her.
The centrepiece of her trip will be an independence celebration overlooking the Grand Harbour in the capital Valletta on September 20
Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Heir Apparent

This is what I got from the Kate Middleton Review.

Itinerary

Day 1 September 20th (Saturday)

Call on the President of Malta at the San Anton Palace, where Kate is staying.
Photo op.

Call on the Prime Minister of Malta and his wife at the Auberge de Castille.

Kate will then view a re-enactment of an historical event-- the inspection of the fort and garrison by the Grand Bailiff of the Order of the Knights of St John.

An inspection of historic documents at the National Library, Valletta.

An evening event at the Upper Barrakha Gardens near the Harbour as part of the Independence Day celebrations.

Day 2 September 21st (Sunday)

Independence Day Service at St John's Co-Cathedral.

An inspection of the two Caravaggios in the Cathedral Museum.

Visit to Access Centre in Villoriosa Square, a Government agency for youth.

A meet and greet the public opportunity in Villoriosa Square.

A viewing of Maltese art at the Church of St Lawrence.

Boat tour across the Grand Harbour to see spectacular views.

A Garden Party held by the British High Commissioner.

After that it's farewell and away on the plane!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 AM
Serene Highness

Let's get down to brass tacks:

How many outfits do you suppose we'll see on this tour? Could be as few as two, or as high as six or eight!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

There would have to be at least five, you would think. Even if Kate kept to two dresses/coatdresses for the daytime engagements, she would surely wear something more casual for the harbour cruise, not the same outfit she wore to church. The evening event would require something dressy and so would the garden party.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Serene Highness

Ladongas-

How profoundly depressing that you regard the 'brass tacks' of this visit just the number of outfits the Duchess will wear...
I'm sure both she {and HMQ who is sending her} believe the visit has rather more significant importance to the Maltese !
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

In honor of Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge's first solo trip to Malta- here is a video of Her Majesty The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's 1967 visit to Malta-

Queen In Malta - British Pathé

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Ladongas-

How profoundly depressing that you regard the 'brass tacks' of this visit just the number of outfits the Duchess will wear...
I'm sure both she {and HMQ who is sending her} believe the visit has rather more significant importance to the Maltese !
wyevale-

How profoundly depressing that you regard my remarks as anything other than a good-humored 'riff' on how shallowly all of us tend to comment on the least important aspects of royal life.
I'm sure that all of us here respect the intent of the visit. I'm equally sure that all of us will enjoy seeing her wardrobe and discussing it as well.

Abraham Lincoln