The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Umm, maybe it was a surprise to them as well? It's not as if women can flip a switch when they want to get pregnant and then flip it off when it's not convenient...
Actually they can - its called contraception.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
It's not that simple for many, many women. Just saying.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It's not like every woman gets pregnant the day after she stops using contraception, though, (although such a guarantee would certainly make things simpler for couples everywhere, including William and Kate)! Maybe, for whatever reason, they weren't anticipating Kate becoming pregnant so quickly.

In any event, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to plan their second child around a two day trip.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Question: How many solo trip have William done?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
In no way am i shocked that Kate isnt going on this trip - from the moment the announcement was made and that she was suffering again from HG this trip was off for her. She only had about 10days to make a full recovery and with her condition that seemed highly unlikely.

What surprised me was the pregnancy announcement in itself - William and Kate have clearly known about this trip for a long time probably from spring time. Therefore i am very surprised they didnt wait to try for another baby til after Malta. There has been criticism about Kate's lack of duties on various forums/media outlets and this was a big opportunity for her to step up.

I kind of think that if they were trying for a second baby then they were a tad silly to not wait until after the trip. Yeah, sure it's just a 2 day trip and it's not the end of the world that Kate can't go, but given the problems Kate had in her first pregnancy it seems like it would have made sense to play it safe and wait until after the trip.

That said, we don't know that they were trying to get pregnant. We don't know what form of birth control they were using. We don't need to know. It is very possible that they weren't actively trying to get pregnant, but instead had a happy accident. It's very possible that they were trying this time, but when they were trying for George it took them awhile so this time round they started sooner than they were necessarily ready thinking it would take them awhile again, and were surprised.

Yes it's disappointing that Kate won't be going on this trip, especially since it's probably going to be awhile before she has another opportunity for a solo trip (I doubt it'll happen before Baby 2 is a year old), but until such a time as they reveal that they deliberately threw caution into the wind and were doing everything they could to get Kate knocked up before the Malta trip, I don't think we should be criticizing her too much for this one.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Aristocracy

4 off the top of my head. New Zealand in 2005, 2010 and 2011 and Australia in 2011
Old 09-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Question: How many solo trip have William done?
I think he did two in Australia and New Zealand.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Others have already said a lot of what I was going to respond. I just want to add this--the number of children out there who were "surprises" provides more than enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's not black and white.

Additionally, I refuse to accept the fact that Catherine, William or any other human being has to plan their childbearing schedule according to a rigid, please-everyone-else schedule. I'm sorry, but to me, that's asinine and insulting.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I kind of think that if they were trying for a second baby then they were a tad silly to not wait until after the trip. Yeah, sure it's just a 2 day trip and it's not the end of the world that Kate can't go, but given the problems Kate had in her first pregnancy it seems like it would have made sense to play it safe and wait until after the trip.

That said, we don't know that they were trying to get pregnant. We don't know what form of birth control they were using. We don't need to know. It is very possible that they weren't actively trying to get pregnant, but instead had a happy accident. It's very possible that they were trying this time, but when they were trying for George it took them awhile so this time round they started sooner than they were necessarily ready thinking it would take them awhile again, and were surprised.

Yes it's disappointing that Kate won't be going on this trip, especially since it's probably going to be awhile before she has another opportunity for a solo trip (I doubt it'll happen before Baby 2 is a year old), but until such a time as they reveal that they deliberately threw caution into the wind and were doing everything they could to get Kate knocked up before the Malta trip, I don't think we should be criticizing her too much for this one.
I'm not going to get into the conversation on William & Catherine getting that "cookie" but they did and a new little crumb snatcher is on the way.

I'm sure Catherine is disappointed she couldn't carry out the trip but I think there will be more. To me, it's all an indication that her royal role with the royal family is on the rise and she'll be doing more official engagements in the future.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm not going to get into the conversation on William & Catherine getting that "cookie" but they did and a new little crumb snatcher is on the way.

I'm sure Catherine is disappointed she couldn't carry out the trip but I think there will be more. To me, it's all an indication that her royal role with the royal family is on the rise and she'll be doing more official engagements in the future.

I agree that we don't need to get into how they got this "cookie", I was more trying to say that we don't know how, and to attack them without knowing is ridiculous. Nor do we need to know - that is their private business.

I disagree that this means we're going to be seeing more engagements from Kate in the near future. She didn't do many engagements while pregnant with George, and I don't think we can expect her to do too many with this pregnancy. Then for a year after that she'll be on "mat leave" and have lower numbers as well. Perhaps there'll be another big tour a few months after Baby 2 is born, but really their numbers while in New Zealand and Australia weren't that high given the length of the tour. I don't think we're likely to see any real increase in Kate's numbers for at least another 2 years.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Others have already said a lot of what I was going to respond. I just want to add this--the number of children out there who were "surprises" provides more than enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that it's not black and white.

Additionally, I refuse to accept the fact that Catherine, William or any other human being has to plan their childbearing schedule according to a rigid, please-everyone-else schedule. I'm sorry, but to me, that's asinine and insulting.
I don't think I did say that William and Kate or any other human being has to plan their childbearing schedule to please everyone. I don't think I said that THIS pregnancy should have been planned around the Malta trip or any other event. I simply said that women in general (at least in first world countries) have choices as to when they will be pregnant.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

If any royal couple decided not to book any royal engagements whilst trying for a child, then firstly, how intrusive is that and 2ndly they might not be working for quite a while ( even more intrusive given the time scale, ie Charlene and Albert; Stephanie and Guillaume).

I find it appalling that anyone is blaming Catherine for being ill whilst pregnant.

Please, lets leave this aspect alone

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that the RF thinks in terms of decades, even centuries, rather than in terms of weeks and months. Barring tragedy or divorce, Kate will be expected to spend at least the next fifty or so years performing royal duties, and her inability to attend to this two day event is of little importance in the general scheme of things. Her main duty at this point in her royal career is to breed, and that is what she is doing.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
If any royal couple decided not to book any royal engagements whilst trying for a child, then firstly, how intrusive is that and 2ndly they might not be working for quite a while ( even more intrusive given the time scale, ie Charlene and Albert; Stephanie and Guillaume).

I find it appalling that anyone is blaming Catherine for being ill whilst pregnant.

Please, lets leave this aspect alone

I don't think anyone's blaming Catherine for being sick. Nor do I think anyone - at least not anyone using logic - is saying that royals shouldn't book engagements while trying to get pregnant.

I do think that if a royal woman is trying to get pregnant and knows it's very likely that she'll be severely ill during her pregnancy then she should consider not booking any major engagements, like say foreign tours. Or, if she knows that it's very likely that she'll be severely ill during her pregnancy then she should postpone trying to get pregnant until after any major engagements, like foreign tours, that have already been booked have happened.

Kate shouldn't be faulted for being sick, or for being pregnant, or whatnot. However, IF they were trying to get pregnant, then it was kind of bad planning on their part to not expect Kate to be seriously ill and wait until after Malta to start trying. That is a big if though, and once again we don't know that they were planning this pregnancy at all.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Aristocracy

Too many if's , but's and however's for me Ish. It just seems you're trying your best to be clever with your criticisms of Kate's pregnancy.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that the RF thinks in terms of decades, even centuries, rather than in terms of weeks and months. Barring tragedy or divorce, Kate will be expected to spend at least the next fifty or so years performing royal duties, and her inability to attend to this two day event is of little importance in the general scheme of things. Her main duty at this point in her royal career is to breed, and that is what she is doing.
Agreed. As brash as it may sound, Catherine's number one duty right now is to provide the monarchy with children. She has the rest of her life to undertake public Royal duties. She isn't even the wife of the Heir Apparent yet. When she is, no doubt her workload will reflect that. For now, it isn't difficult to send her husband in her place so she can focus on having a healthier, smoother pregnancy. The baby comes first.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I don't think anyone's blaming Catherine for being sick. Nor do I think anyone - at least not anyone using logic - is saying that royals shouldn't book engagements while trying to get pregnant.

I do think that if a royal woman is trying to get pregnant and knows it's very likely that she'll be severely ill during her pregnancy then she should consider not booking any major engagements, like say foreign tours. Or, if she knows that it's very likely that she'll be severely ill during her pregnancy then she should postpone trying to get pregnant until after any major engagements, like foreign tours, that have already been booked have happened.

Kate shouldn't be faulted for being sick, or for being pregnant, or whatnot. However, IF they were trying to get pregnant, then it was kind of bad planning on their part to not expect Kate to be seriously ill and wait until after Malta to start trying. That is a big if though, and once again we don't know that they were planning this pregnancy at all.
Once a couple is getting some of that "cookie"- doors slam, people scream and glass shatter. The last thing you're thinking about is a trip to Malta.

Seriously though, the whole trip worked out fine. She's not able to go and now William will carry out the duties in Catherine's place.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't think I did say that William and Kate or any other human being has to plan their childbearing schedule to please everyone. I don't think I said that THIS pregnancy should have been planned around the Malta trip or any other event. I simply said that women in general (at least in first world countries) have choices as to when they will be pregnant.

The second part of my post is for the posters saying they should have waited to conceive until after Malta - or that they are surprised they tried for another child before Malta.

However, I stand by the first part of my post. Yes, women have more choices about conception-but they don't totally prevent conception.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Hope your scissors are sharp enough for the hairs you're splitting. Kate shouldn't be faulted for being pregnant or sick, but they should be faulted for lack of planning skills about said pregnancy?

And all of this fuss because they'll disappoint Malta, royal watchers and the press?!

Again, it's ridiculous to suggest that a tour, engagement or any other activity should take precedence over bringing a child into the world.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Cambridge to visit Malta, 20-21 September 2014

The trip to Malta is 2 days which is nothing compared to the other foreign tours that they have done. It's not like they were trying for baby 2 right before the NZ/Aus 3 week tour

It may have been just a happy accident. The royal engagements are book several months ahead. There is always something that can get cancelled due to illness. The Queen even had to cancel a foreign visit to Italy due to illness last year.

Also why is Kate at fault, she not get pregnant without William.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community