Duke of Cambridge: Visit to China - March 1-4, 2015

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Japan and China

Press Release

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Japan and China

Old 11-27-2014, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William to visit Japan and China - Telegraph
Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge will visit Japan and China early next year at the request of the Government, Kensington Palace has confirmed, but the Duchess will not risk the trip because of her pregnancy.

The Duke will spend three days in each country in February and March at the request of the Government.

His visit will be the most high-profile royal visit to China since the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh toured the country in 1986.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Majesty

This might be a important step for William... But I tought he was supposed to start his new job in that period?
Old 11-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Prince William to visit Japan and China for first time next year without Kate | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
This might be a important step for William... But I tought he was supposed to start his new job in that period?
According to the press release for William's new job

This job will be the Duke's primary occupation, but his roster will take into account the duties and responsibilities he will continue to undertake on behalf of The Queen, both in the United Kingdom and overseas. The Duke will also continue his work with his patronages and with the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Majesty

It will be interesting to see if this tour will bring media attention even witout Kate!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It will be interesting to see if this tour will bring media attention even witout Kate!
It will, but instead, it will not be focussed on clothes and jewellery.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Anyway visit promises to be interesting, mainly because of specific countries.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It will, but instead, it will not be focussed on clothes and jewellery.
it will probably focus on the uneasy relationship that his father (and grandfather) have with China. charm offensive, so to say.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I'm betting not as much.

Besides, I think the host countries really wanted the double act!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Majesty

Just hope a little bit more than Malta
Old 11-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Aristocracy

What happens with him on a solo tour you saw with Malta...if the reporters from the uk don't think he will make the front page they probably won't go. I am sure there will be three or four...but not a whole pack. I have no doubt from the Japanese and Chinese press that they will give him a ton of coverage.

I think if they could've waited a year..they would've gotten more press with Kate on the tour...but, obviously someones eager to have a royal there.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its remember quite well the dubious reactions we've seen with Wills taking on an air ambulance job with EAAA and thinking he should really be starting to step up more in his royal role. With this announcement of his planned visit to Japan and China early next year along with quite a few different functions he's performed in the past few months, I think he really is stepping up and will continue to.

I think he will do remarkably well representing the Queen on this visit and will charm the socks off 'em.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Japan and China are heavy on protocol and ceremony. It won't matter as much that Kate won't there for this visit

Plus the Chinese media and press will give this major coverage either way which is what's important
Old 11-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I hope William gets a lot of coverage here in the UK as much as in China and Japan - and I am so pleased that Japan is included in this overseas visit.

I am disappointed that the trip is scheduled at a time when Catherine cannot attend - but mother nature takes precedent even over China and Japan's protocol and ceremony!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Majesty

China and Japan will provide adequate media coverage for Crown Prince's heir. I am not sure about effectiveness of this charm-offensive. Neither Prince Charles nor Prince William are great diplomats.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Neither Prince Charles nor Prince William are great diplomats.
Really? Why do you say that?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well, I hope William gets a lot of coverage here in the UK as much as in China and Japan - and I am so pleased that Japan is included in this overseas visit.

I am disappointed that the trip is scheduled at a time when Catherine cannot attend - but mother nature takes precedent even over China and Japan's protocol and ceremony!
The timing of these events are also to do with the GREAT campaign. 500 businesses promoting themselves in China would have taken some time to organise. He is doing this on behalf of the British Government as in they put the idea forward (to co-incide with GREAT campaign event), China agreed and issued the invite.

If it goes well, then he will be back in... 15 years?? and he can bring Catherine with him.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Regarding UK's relationship with China and the emphasis that the issues are down to DoE and PoW, here is a quote from the Telegraph

QUOTE:

The Prince [Charles], who has not been to China since, has also angered Communist Party leaders in Beijing through his close relationship with the Dalai Lama, the exiled spiritual leader of the disputed territory of Tibet.

The Dalai Lama has described the Prince of Wales as one of his “best friends”, having been entertained by him numerous times at Clarence House.

Diplomatic relations between Britain and China have been repeatedly tested in recent years because of visits to London by the Dalai Lama, during which he has also met David Cameron .

High-level communications between the two countries were frozen for months after a row over Mr Cameron’s decision to meet the Dalai Lama in 2012. Mr Cameron was accused of “seriously interfering with China’s internal affairs”. The Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, meanwhile, has been a vocal critic of China’s record on human rights.

But following a change of leadership of the Communist Party in 2013, diplomatic relations thawed, and President Xi Jinping will regard a visit by the Duke as a major step forward in improving political and trade links with the UK.

The invitation from China follows the official visit to Britain by the Chinese Premier Li Keqiang in June, when Mr Li met the Queen at Windsor Castle.

END

The real issue seems to be political.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I am glad Kate isn't going because now the visit will get coverage for the proper reasons and we wont have endless articles with the same photos of Kate in the same dress and brand new shoes. Of course it's risky for her to go as she is pregnant with the spare heir, so it's good she isn't going. I am just glad William's visit will be the primary focus of the visit and not Kate's sartorial choices.

Tags
china, duke of cambridge, japan, william