Duke of Cambridge: Visit to China - March 1-4, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince William to visit Japan and China - Telegraph
The Duke of Cambridge will visit Japan and China early next year at the request of the Government, Kensington Palace has confirmed, but the Duchess will not risk the trip because of her pregnancy.

The Duke will spend three days in each country in February and March at the request of the Government.

His visit will be the most high-profile royal visit to China since the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh toured the country in 1986.

This might be a important step for William... But I tought he was supposed to start his new job in that period?

This might be a important step for William... But I tought he was supposed to start his new job in that period?

According to the press release for William's new job

This job will be the Duke's primary occupation, but his roster will take into account the duties and responsibilities he will continue to undertake on behalf of The Queen, both in the United Kingdom and overseas. The Duke will also continue his work with his patronages and with the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

It will be interesting to see if this tour will bring media attention even witout Kate!

It will be interesting to see if this tour will bring media attention even witout Kate!

It will, but instead, it will not be focussed on clothes and jewellery.

Anyway visit promises to be interesting, mainly because of specific countries.

It will, but instead, it will not be focussed on clothes and jewellery.

it will probably focus on the uneasy relationship that his father (and grandfather) have with China. charm offensive, so to say.

What happens with him on a solo tour you saw with Malta...if the reporters from the uk don't think he will make the front page they probably won't go. I am sure there will be three or four...but not a whole pack. I have no doubt from the Japanese and Chinese press that they will give him a ton of coverage.

I think if they could've waited a year..they would've gotten more press with Kate on the tour...but, obviously someones eager to have a royal there.

Its remember quite well the dubious reactions we've seen with Wills taking on an air ambulance job with EAAA and thinking he should really be starting to step up more in his royal role. With this announcement of his planned visit to Japan and China early next year along with quite a few different functions he's performed in the past few months, I think he really is stepping up and will continue to.

I think he will do remarkably well representing the Queen on this visit and will charm the socks off 'em. :D

Japan and China are heavy on protocol and ceremony. It won't matter as much that Kate won't there for this visit

Plus the Chinese media and press will give this major coverage either way which is what's important

Well, I hope William gets a lot of coverage here in the UK as much as in China and Japan - and I am so pleased that Japan is included in this overseas visit.

I am disappointed that the trip is scheduled at a time when Catherine cannot attend - but mother nature takes precedent even over China and Japan's protocol and ceremony!

China and Japan will provide adequate media coverage for Crown Prince's heir. I am not sure about effectiveness of this charm-offensive. Neither Prince Charles nor Prince William are great diplomats.

Last edited:
Well, I hope William gets a lot of coverage here in the UK as much as in China and Japan - and I am so pleased that Japan is included in this overseas visit.

I am disappointed that the trip is scheduled at a time when Catherine cannot attend - but mother nature takes precedent even over China and Japan's protocol and ceremony!

The timing of these events are also to do with the GREAT campaign. 500 businesses promoting themselves in China would have taken some time to organise. He is doing this on behalf of the British Government as in they put the idea forward (to co-incide with GREAT campaign event), China agreed and issued the invite.

If it goes well, then he will be back in... 15 years?? and he can bring Catherine with him.

Last edited:
Regarding UK's relationship with China and the emphasis that the issues are down to DoE and PoW, here is a quote from the Telegraph

QUOTE:

The Prince [Charles], who has not been to China since, has also angered Communist Party leaders in Beijing through his close relationship with the Dalai Lama, the exiled spiritual leader of the disputed territory of Tibet.

The Dalai Lama has described the Prince of Wales as one of his “best friends”, having been entertained by him numerous times at Clarence House.

Diplomatic relations between Britain and China have been repeatedly tested in recent years because of visits to London by the Dalai Lama, during which he has also met David Cameron .

High-level communications between the two countries were frozen for months after a row over Mr Cameron’s decision to meet the Dalai Lama in 2012. Mr Cameron was accused of “seriously interfering with China’s internal affairs”. The Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, meanwhile, has been a vocal critic of China’s record on human rights.

But following a change of leadership of the Communist Party in 2013, diplomatic relations thawed, and President Xi Jinping will regard a visit by the Duke as a major step forward in improving political and trade links with the UK.

The invitation from China follows the official visit to Britain by the Chinese Premier Li Keqiang in June, when Mr Li met the Queen at Windsor Castle.

END

The real issue seems to be political.

I am glad Kate isn't going because now the visit will get coverage for the proper reasons and we wont have endless articles with the same photos of Kate in the same dress and brand new shoes. Of course it's risky for her to go as she is pregnant with the spare heir, so it's good she isn't going. I am just glad William's visit will be the primary focus of the visit and not Kate's sartorial choices.

^^^ But to be fair to Kate, she has no control over the press writing about her sartorial choices and the British press does the same with CP Mary, Queen Letizia and Queen Maxima

I know she has no control over it, nor do the other women, but the British press do go overboard on what she is wearing. They did the same with Diana. Thankfully Kate is a pretty woman who dresses relatively well or the DM writers would be out of a job. The DM writes 5 articles based on one dress Kate has worn, which is boring to read. Then one line at the bottom would be about the visit to China and the political reasons behind it. It's boring and unnecessary.

BBC News - Duke of Cambridge to visit Japan and China in early 2015
The drafters of the news release from Royal Communications did their best.

Of the 19 sentences it contains, three are devoted to Prince Charles and his connections with China.

But supporting heritage and cultural initiatives there isn't the same as setting foot on the mainland of a nation which is our 7th largest market for exports.

Some royal officials believe Charles' difficult relationship with China, and his friendship with the Dalai Lama, are issues that concern the media more and the Chinese less.

Given the past actions of the next king - he boycotted a banquet during a Chinese state visit - and Prince Philip's "slitty-eyed" comment when he was there in 1986, it's little wonder that royal visits to the country have to be navigated with care.

Prince William appears to possess both gaffe-free genes and friends who don't trouble the Chinese.

I think people have to stop getting so bent out of shape over the presses attention to Catherine's wardrobe on official engagements and tours. She don't have control over that and it's her job to look good when on official duty. Remember, it's the palace officials that's engaging with the media over her wardrobe too.

The media will be making a fuss over Harry's future wife's wardrobe too. It's been done to The Queen, Queen Mother, Diana, Sarah and now Catherine. It's just something everyone have to get used to.

I'm glad to see William going on this trip and continuing to expand his official duties. I know he's and Catherine are disappointed she won't be joining him on this trip but the baby comes first.

Last edited:
I think there is an outside chance that Catherine may be added to the tour closer to the date depending on her health and how she feels.

Diplomatically she will raise the profile of the tour, but I agree it is timed with the GREAT event. I think Catherine feels bad about Malta.

I get the feeling the palace was not planning on announcing this tour at this time and then the Chinese govt announced they had invited them. There is probably a contingency light itinerary being worked on for Catherine at this time. We shall see.

It would make more sense to announce William, and add Catherine if avail ... Than to announce both and take Catherine away closer to the date.

I am glad William's conservation efforts are being incorporated into the tour.

Duke of Cambridge visit to Japan & China.

@RoyalCentral: Prince William is set for his trip to Japan and China. He will be in Japan from 26th Feb-1st March. Then China from 1st March to the 4th.

@RoyalCentral: Cities visited in China will include Beijing, Shanghai and Xishuangbanna in Yunnan province.

@RoyalCentral: Prince William is set for his trip to Japan and China. He will be in Japan from 26th Feb-1st March. Then China from 1st March to the 4th.

@RoyalCentral: Cities visited in China will include Beijing, Shanghai and Xishuangbanna in Yunnan province.

I suspect it will be a packed few days in Japan and China.

Hhaa,a I' sorry. But boy will we have trouble with that location name!! :O

William in Japan must meet the Imperial Family. :flowers:

William in Japan must meet the Imperial Family. :flowers:

I am sure the Crown Prince and possibly, the Crown Princess, will receive Prince William in Tokyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom