Duke of Cambridge: Visit to China - March 1-4, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Embarrassment would be Elephant pulls Williams trousers down. :lol:

Here is another view of William's trip.

Yet after patting elephants and feeding them carrots, the trip ended on controversy. Next door to the sanctuary was a tourist attraction where elephants are shackled, made to play football, stand on stools and wear humiliating giant glittery spectacles — all for the amusement of Chinese tourists.

When asked to comment on this by Sky News, the Prince snubbed the reporter by turning his back on him and striding off.

Please Wills, don't turn into the Prince of Petulance: JAN MOIR on her fears William could turn into a bland, Home Counties King | Daily Mail Online

I saw that. The daily mail reported on this neighboring elephant show before the trip, and now Sky makes it both sound as if it was AT the place William was, not close to, plus like it was news. If anything, it shines a light on how important that sanctuary is when so close a different fate lays before the elephants. And this shone a light on the treatment of the animals without him actually going to such a place. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the plan.

There is a reason Jan Moir writes for a tabloid and isn't a diplomat. Once this tour tour was announced, the BBC waxed poetically over the fact Charles has never visited China because of bad blood.

The Chinese media treated this tour as basically a state visit and it was viewed as enormous success. That was the reason the Foreign Office sent William in the first place. To smooth diplomatic feathers and not make off the cuff remarks to a reporter employing 'gotcha' journalism.

Animal conservation was an important part of this visit but it wasn't the only part and couldn't come at all costs.

The Foreign Office would of had a conniption fit if William publicly offended the Chinese or embarrassed them to the British media.

When a reporter wants you to give public comment on something potentially embarrassing to your hosts, sometimes the best policy is not to say anything at all. William knows this.

There is a reason Jan Moir writes for a tabloid and isn't a diplomat. Once this tour tour was announced, the BBC waxed poetically over the fact Charles has never visited China because of bad blood.

The Chinese media treated this tour as basically a state visit and it was viewed as enormous success. That was the reason the Foreign Office sent William in the first place. To smooth diplomatic feathers and not make off the cuff remarks to a reporter employing 'gotcha' journalism.

Animal conservation was an important part of this visit but it wasn't the only part and couldn't come at all costs.

The Foreign Office would of had a conniption fit if William publicly offended the Chinese or embarrassed them to the British media.

When a reporter wants you to give public comment on something potentially embarrassing to your hosts, sometimes the best policy is not to say anything at all. William knows this.
Exactly! I think he acted like a really professional diplomat this tour. It gives me great hope for his future in his role.

:previous: I agree. In this case William chose to keep quiet on the subject and put the success of the tour ahead of his personal feelings.

Audio:
Duke of Cambridge's Opening Speech at the Chinese Premiere of Paddington-
Duke of Cambridge's Opening Speech at the Chinese Premiere of Paddington | BAFTA
Very similar to his other speeches. You can really tell that he's a tool (haha, not in a douche way) the UK government has put into play to strengthen bonds between UK and China. It's a big responsibility that he got, and he did it impeccably. You can notice that he didn't do any of his awkward jokes (which I love by the way!). It was a very different tone this trip even during the lighter moments. He didn't do funny quips (is that the word?) and such. Proud that he can put on this persona as well as the lovable one. Boats (??) really well for the future, him being that good at both the normal, fun, close to people stuff as well as the diplomatic stuff.

Quips IS the right word, and it's 'bodes' well for the future !

Bravo for your use of the language ! You're really very good at it !

Prince William praised by Chinese internet users for tough stance on wildlife trafficking | South China Morning Post
Prince William has won praise from internet users in China after he visited an elephant reserve and condemned illegal wildlife trafficking as “a vicious form of criminality”.

William’s speech in Xishuangbanna in Yunnan province capped off a four-day visit to China during which he also met with President Xi Jinping in Beijing and chatted with students at a Shanghai football clinic.

The trip was William’s first to China and made him the highest-profile royal visitor since Queen Elizabeth II in 1986.

At Xishuangbanna’s Wild Elephant Valley reserve, home to some 250 to 300 wild pachyderms, the Duke of Cambridge on Wednesday called for a crackdown on the illegal wildlife trade, which he called a vicious form of criminality that erodes the rule of law, fuels conflict and might even fund terrorism.

“Traffickers think nothing of violating laws and sovereignty anywhere they can to exploit a loophole or turn a profit,” he said. “And international co-operation is our strongest defence against them.”

His speech came days after Beijing announced a one-year bar on imports of ivory carvings, a move that activists have described as largely symbolic as legal imports are minor and most seizures of illegal items are of raw ivory.

How Prince William triumphed in the Far East - Telegraph
Opinion polls tell us that almost half of the British public would like the Crown to skip a generation and pass straight to the Duke of Cambridge. In China this week, it felt as though it already had.

With the Queen no longer travelling to far-flung lands, and the Prince of Wales effectively banned from Beijing because of his friendship with the Dalai Lama, Prince William truly came of age as a statesman.

The UK’s long-term relationship with what will surely be the most powerful country on earth is crucial, and it might be the Duke of Cambridge, not his father, who will be regarded as the face of Britain here in years to come.

It was Prince William’s face that dominated the front pages of Chinese newspapers during his four-day visit, his face that adorns billboards in China, alongside the wildly popular David Beckham, to campaign for an end to the ivory trade.

More than just offering an insight into the Royal family’s long-term relationship with China, the Duke’s historic visit (the first by a senior member of the Royal family since 1986) may also have given us a glimpse of what the reign of King Charles III might look like.

...The Duke’s visit may not have changed the world, but first impressions count, and despite the criticism back home he did not put a foot wrong as far as the Chinese are concerned. In laying such solid foundations he may have begun an entente that will last the rest of his life, and with China’s influence growing by the day, we can all be thankful for that.
William was called upon by the Foreign Office to accomplish a lot in just 4 days and I think he did a brilliant job.

Last edited:
Jessie Ware thought Britain's Prince William was "very sweet and accommodating".

The singer met the prince when she performed during his recent visit to China and asked him to settle a dispute with her husband Sam Burrows and name their new puppy, and he was happy to oblige by christening the dog Stanley.

Jessie told Grazia magazine: "I was performing in Shanghai during William's visit and I was getting a puppy the next day.

"My husband Sam and I couldn't agree on a name so I thought I'd leave it up to the future king to make the decision. He was very sweet and accommodating."
More: Jessie Ware: Prince William Was Very Sweet

It's nice to hear the good report, but 'Stanley'? :unsure: Wonder what their choices were. I'd shorten it to Stash, if it were me. Can't see calling 'Stanley' at the dog park. ;)

The name Stanley reminds me of the dog in "The Dog with a Blog" show. Naming a dog can be serious business and can't be taken lightly. Good thing William was there to step in diplomatically and help out. :D

I wonder if Stanley was part of the 2 choices given or something he came up with. Clearly Kate who spent some of her gap year in Florence named Lupo.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I wonder if Stanley was part of the 2 choices given or something he came up with. Clearly Kate who spent some of her gap year in Florence named Lupo.

I wondered the same. :p Whatever it was, they're stuck with it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom