The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Duke of Cambridge (Prince William) looms 40 stories tall in Shanghai 4
https://twitter.com/WildAid/status/572855304095862784

I thought this looked pretty cool. Probably a first for a British Royal.
Haah, wow! :P That's.... big!

Old 03-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Haah, wow! :P That's.... big!
Its humongous! Bet no other place on earth has done that for him. Makes you believe just how welcome his visit is eh?

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its humongous! Bet no other place on earth has done that for him. Makes you believe just how welcome his visit is eh?
I did wonder who sponsored this effort? They are WildAid PSAs running on the Citi Tower in Shanghai. For more, see: WildAid | Duke of Cambridge Stars in WildAid PSAs Throughout China
Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

A speech by HRH The Duke of Cambridge about the illegal wildlife trade, at the Botanical Gardens in Xishuangbanna, China
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

That thin line. It's so welcome that the Chinese government is no longer serving shark fin soup at official dinners.

And some political things here. JMO.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince William has been to the southwest province of Yannan, where he visited an Elephant Rehab Sanctuary before giving a speech at the Regional Wildlife and Conservation Conference-

http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTer...NT%20SANCTUARY

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Q: Dear Uncle Wang,

Everyone has been talking about Prince William's visit to Shanghai over the last two days. Why are people so interested in him and his visit to China?

A: The first ever visit of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, to China has dominated the front pages of Chinese media over the past two days. His visit is highly valued by both the Chinese and British governments, as well as the people of China.

Prince William's trip is important because it is the first visit by a member of the British royal family to China since his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, came in 1986. The main purpose of his visit is to boost cultural and business ties between China and the UK.
Click to read more: Ask Uncle Wang - Global Times
Old 03-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 44s 45 seconds ago
The #RoyalVisitChina is now over and Prince William is on his way back to the United Kingdom.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Royal Highness

A very diplomatic answer, not answering anything, as is appropriate on this question :P No unrehearsed comments on Ivory, very clever of him. Don't want to risk anything :P Loved that he thanked the press so much. I wonder if the new PR person told him that it might help relations.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Majesty

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2810153.html

The above post by kapenot88 contains photos of Prince William's tour of China (Day 4).
Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Embarrassment for Prince William as he is pictured petting an elephant at a rescue centre | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Embarrassment for China maybe but certainly none for William.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 AM
Serene Highness

Agreed. William has nothing to be embarrassed about.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 AM
Royal Highness

The embarrassment on William's part is because he went to an elephant rescue center in China.

Why visit a rescue center in China, when Asian elephants are not being killed for their ivory?

William's embarrassment is because he confused the African elephant with the Asian elephant.

The plight of the Asian elephant is because of loss of habitat.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:43 AM
Courtier

I don't think it is embarrassing at all. The Asian elephant needs just as much support as the African one, the reason doesn't matter. This way he has given attention to the problems the Asian elephants have and perhaps Chinese and Asian governments will now give more support for these organisations.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

William is well aware of the plight of the Asian elephant. Precisely the reason he visited this particular sanctuary, the most important elephant sanctuary in Asia. He was there to talk to local conservationists and forestry police

At the elephant sanctuary in southwest Yunnan province, he heard about the dangers to China's remaining 250 Asian wild elephants.

BBC News - The man protecting China's elephants
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

I very much think it is a case of "actions speak louder than words" on William's part. He will have been fully aware of the existence of the other elephants being used for entertainment not far from the sanctuary/rescue centre and his interaction with the elephant he fed will have highlighted in a subtle way his views.
Any embarrassment will be (or should be) of his hosts.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

With the papers repeatedly sharing Phillip and Charles' "gaffes" I wouldn't be surprised if some reporters were disappointed that William did not offer up any remarks that they could pounce upon. I have no doubt that William and his advisers had planned their strategy to be as courteous as possible to his hosts in order to foster better relations between the two nations.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
With the papers repeatedly sharing Phillip and Charles' "gaffes" I wouldn't be surprised if some reporters were disappointed that William did not offer up any remarks that they could pounce upon. I have no doubt that William and his advisers had planned their strategy to be as courteous as possible to his hosts in order to foster better relations between the two nations.
I agree. This was a very sensitive trip and William (and his people) made sure to tread firmly but carefully. I love that William is such a good diplomat. Way better than Charles and Philip (They have other good qualities before, but thinking before speaking ain't one of them). I loved when William evaded the "what can be done in China?" question by thanking the media for following him there. Double points there. 1 for maintaining silence so not to offend his hosts. 2 for fostering relations with the media, acknowledging that he needs them to shine a light on this. He did really good.

Tags
china, duke of cambridge, japan, william