The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Royal Highness

This is rather big. He's in the big leagues nowadays!. Meetings Obama and president of China. Not to shabby!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

The mural on the back wall is quite amazing (and symbolic) http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/464...zvTsxTYw%3d%3d

Getty is starting to have pics from throughout the day. The Duke Of Cambridge Visits China - Day 2 Photos | Getty Images

EDIT: In this image in the Forbidden City, it's odd that only Zhang Yaoguang and one or two others are wearing credentials. The Duke's staff can be seen in the rear: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/464923756

Old 03-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William is “overawed” by a visit to Beijing’s famous Forbidden City | Western Daily Press
Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge was “overawed” by a visit to Beijing’s famous Forbidden City – and a little surprised by his skills painting Shaun the Sheep. The future king toured the former imperial palace – home to emperors and their households for nearly 500 years – on the first full day of his tour of China.

But earlier he found himself doing something out of the ordinary when he took part in a ceremony to mark the start of a major UK-China cultural collaboration, and painted the eyes on a larger-than-life version of the popular character Shaun the Sheep.

William was given a guided tour of the stunning 15th century complex in dazzling winter sunshine.

As he posed for photographs in front of the imposing Hall of Supreme Harmony, he was asked how his Chinese was coming along, he laughed and replied: “Very slowly.”
Prince William Sells 'Brand Britain' To China
Quote:
Prince William is in Shanghai on the first day of his visit to China.
He arrived in the country's largest city after a morning of diplomatic duties in the capital Beijing.

The trip is the first visit to China by a senior British royal for three decades and represents a significant test of the prince's diplomatic dexterity.

Despite a turbulent political relationship between the UK and China, the Duke of Cambridge was treated to a private tour of Beijing's Forbidden City and a meeting with President Xi Jinping.

The Forbidden City represents the perfect photo opportunity for Palace officials who have worked for months to make this trip a success.
Prince William meets Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Relations between the UK and China took a significant leap forward with an historic meeting between its President Xi Jinping and the Duke of Cambridge today.

President Xi, whose Communist party leadership was once derided by the Prince of Wales as 'appalling old waxworks' warmly shook hands with his son William and heaped praise on the British Royal family.

The two men met in the imposing Great Hall of the People - home of the Chinese Congress - where the president highlighted their past interest in his country and told of how they had contributed 'positively' to co-operation between China and UK.

He also extended an open invitation to the Queen and her family to come to China, which could pave the way for a visit by the heir to the throne.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Royal Highness

A speech by The Duke of Cambridge at the opening of the GREAT festival Shanghai

The speech he gave opening the GREAT festival. Rather nice, :)
Old 03-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
A speech by The Duke of Cambridge at the opening of the GREAT festival Shanghai

The speech he gave opening the GREAT festival. Rather nice, :)
And as fascinating for what it does not say as what it does. "Shanghai, my, you have a lovely skyline" is an interesting choice of compliment.

I could never be a diplomat, but I do find the practice fascinating. It will be interesting to hear The Duke's messages throughout the trip. He is walking a very thin line.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
And as fascinating for what it does not say as what it does. "Shanghai, my, you have a lovely skyline" is an interesting choice of compliment.

I could never be a diplomat, but I do find the practice fascinating. It will be interesting to hear The Duke's messages throughout the trip. He is walking a very thin line.
So far he seems to be walking it very nicely. The word together shows up all the time. "our shared history", "our future connections" etc. This is very much a diplomatic trip that can make or brake relations with China in the foreseeable future. So far he seems like a success. So proud!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince's visit to China 'a major diplomatic breakthrough' - ITV News
Quote:
The British royal family has not always endeared itself to the Chinese leadership.

Back in 1986, when he was here with the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh made headlines after joking with British students about what he called "slitty eyes."

Fast forward to 1997, and the handover of Hong Kong to Beijing. It emerged that in a diary the Prince of Wales described Chinese leaders as "appalling old waxworks" and called Britain's loss of Hong Kong "the great Chinese takeaway."

And Beijing was not amused when Prince Charles gave a warm welcome to the Dalai Lama, seen by the Chinese authorities as a threat to their control of Tibet.

Enter the Duke of Cambridge. His stage, Beijing's Great Hall of the People; his host China's President Xi Jinping. Prince William's journey to China is not a state visit, but it certainly feels like the next best thing.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Majesty

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2803853.html

The above post contains photos of Prince William's tour of China (Day 1 and Day 2).
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
Prince William has begun his tour of China today. The Duke of Cambridge met with vulnerable young people and was shown around the courtyard of the Hutong, which was restored by The Prince of Wales China Foundation. He then toured the Forbidden City-

Home - ITNSource News

The Duke of Cambridge has attended the launch of The Great Festival of Creativity in Shanghai, which promotes the partnership between the UK Government and the private sector to create jobs and growth-
Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you to all who have shared links and videos of his tour so far.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

First- " It must have smelled fantastic!"
Second- Loved the photos- Forbidden City wow- , Shaun the Sheep, the little baby girl with William- . When he met the President, I saw a King.

More pictures of Shaun the Sheep and babies too-

Prince William launches Chinese visit by painting patriotic cartoon sheep character | Daily Mail Online
Love the story of the blind young man too. Knowing William, he'll get an invite to KP.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Just my 2 cents here: William is doing very well in this trip: sober, pleasant and diplomatic I just think that he usually is almost impeccable on the travels abroad. His best type of royal duties IMO
Old 03-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I agree. William has been excellent during this tour and I'm glad to see that it's getting attention.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Just my 2 cents here: William is doing very well in this trip: sober, pleasant and diplomatic I just think that he usually is almost impeccable on the travels abroad. His best type of royal duties IMO
I agree completely with you - it has been a pleasure to see him these last few days carrying out serious and not so serious engagements and handling everything so well. The video I saw of him painting the eyes on the sculpture was worth seeing - a journalist called out (wanting him to face towards the camera whilst painting) and William handled it very nicely with a chuckle and saying he can't do two things at once. That sort of rapport with the press is good.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I wholeheartedly agree. He's done very well in Japan and now in China.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I agree completely with you - it has been a pleasure to see him these last few days carrying out serious and not so serious engagements and handling everything so well. The video I saw of him painting the eyes on the sculpture was worth seeing - a journalist called out (wanting him to face towards the camera whilst painting) and William handled it very nicely with a chuckle and saying he can't do two things at once. That sort of rapport with the press is good.

I think he is in his element, that's why he can handle it so great
Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

The tour has been going great so far and I like seeing William out on official duty. He's just very good at it.

RKD @RoyalKateDebate · 53m 53 minutes ago
"It's going to be a formative few days for me and I look forward to strengthening UK-China links" William to President of China

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
First- " It must have smelled fantastic!"
Second- Loved the photos- Forbidden City wow- , Shaun the Sheep, the little baby girl with William- . When he met the President, I saw a King.

More pictures of Shaun the Sheep and babies too-

Prince William launches Chinese visit by painting patriotic cartoon sheep character | Daily Mail Online
Love the story of the blind young man too. Knowing William, he'll get an invite to KP.
I agree with you on all your points (not a shocker, honestly). William has done a marvelous job during this tour, and I have no doubt that he touched the hearts of a lot of people. Like you, I believe that he'll do all that he can to make sure that the young man with a visual impairment gets to sing for Her Majesty. I also noticed the William's regal bearing when meeting the president of China. He is able to transition from 'William that plays with children, and listens with his heart' to 'William, the future King of England' seamlessly.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Royal Highness

https://twitter.com/Duchess_Files/st...57141191483392

William is on bilboards in China, for an ivory free China. They banned import of ivory for a year temporarily and will decide on it in a couple of months if I got it right. I really think that if China wasn't planning on doing "the right thing" that William would be allowed to be so open about his support on this trip.

Also, a little superficial. Gotta say, on that picture he looks YUM!

Tags
china, duke of cambridge, japan, william