Duke of Cambridge: Visit to China - March 1-4, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince William displays ball skills in kickabout with children in Shangai | Royal | News | Daily Express
HE's an avid Aston Villa fan and president of the Football Association, so it was no surprise that Prince William was keen to get involved in a kickabout during a football masterclass in Shanghai.

The Duke of Cambridge saw the youngsters being put through their paces by British coaches when he visited Nanyang High School in Shanghai.

As the Prince, 32, went in for a penalty excited children looked on and after taking it, one child couldn't contain his enthusiasm and rushed over to give William a high five.

The five-a-side kickabout came on the third day of the Prince's high-profile visit to China - the first time a senior royal has visited the country since the Queen made a trip in 1986.
Prince William shows off his ball skills during a kickabout in Shanghai | Daily Mail Online
He's Aston Villa's most famous fan and the president of the England FA to boot so when Prince William was offered the chance of a kickabout in Shanghai, he was quick to take up the offer.

The Prince was visiting the Nanyang High School and was invited to watch local children being taught football skills by British coaches.

Watched by the excited children, William teed up a penalty and, after taking it, beamed as an excited child rushed up to give him a high five.

Football is about to become part of the national curriculum in China, and the British Council runs a scheme called Premier Skills which fosters a passion for the game.

The Prince was shown around by Paul Hughes, 33, a former coach at Reading FC, Millwall and Southampton, who now travels the world passing on his experience to local coaches under the British Council scheme.

Last edited:
Actually, I have to disagree. Here in the UK, there is a reasonable amount of coverage o Prince William's trip. The BBC and ITN have on-going stories on the trip, as do most of the mainstream press. The coverage he is getting is more than what the Queen and Prince Philip, or C&C or the Prime Minister get when they travel overseas. Agreeably the coverage does not have the frenzy of a William & Catherine tour, but a lot of that coverage is about her clothes and jewellery, than of the substance of the tour.

That's good. I'm in the US so I don't get the UK TV news so I just looked at the online versions of the British newspapers where there wasn't much.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Video:
the Duke of Cambridge has attended a Premier Skills football event at Naanyang school, football is being added to Chinese National Curriculum as a tool to aid student development and encourage social inclusion-

Home - ITNSource News

Prince William's delight at Queen's portrait in Shanghai - Telegraph
The Duke of Cambridge came face-to-face with a smiling portrait of his grandmother the Queen in Shanghai.

He saw four photographs of the monarch by David Bailey, on display together for the first time at an exhibition celebrating British creativity, on Tuesday.

The Duke said: “That’s fantastic, it’s a great photo, does anyone know when they were taken? I love them.”

The images, taken for the Queen’s 88th birthday last year, were shown along with British design products at the event in the city’s Long Museum.

After officially opening the GREAT Festival of Creativity on Monday night, the Duke was back for a closer look at the goods on show.

At the BBC Worldwide stand, he was greeted by a moving penguin cam, christened George, which walked towards him and bowed.

Going back to earlier posts about the amount of coverage the trip is getting here in the UK, I can't really comment on the newspapers but I would say that the tv coverage has been equal to the time devoted to Kate and William's earlier tours which is very encouraging. The stories emphasise the historic nature of the tour stressing how many years it is since a senior British royal visited China, and the sensitive nature of some of the issues which dominate China & UK relations. I am not sure how many of the press are accompanying William, but it is considered newsworthy appearing in all of the main news bulletins on the main channels including SKY.

Going back to earlier posts about the amount of coverage the trip is getting here in the UK, I can't really comment on the newspapers but I would say that the tv coverage has been equal to the time devoted to Kate and William's earlier tours which is very encouraging. The stories emphasise the historic nature of the tour stressing how many years it is since a senior British royal visited China, and the sensitive nature of some of the issues which dominate China & UK relations. I am not sure how many of the press are accompanying William, but it is considered newsworthy appearing in all of the main news bulletins on the main channels including SKY.
That is nice to hear :)

Q: Dear Uncle Wang,

Everyone has been talking about Prince William's visit to Shanghai over the last two days. Why are people so interested in him and his visit to China?

A: The first ever visit of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, to China has dominated the front pages of Chinese media over the past two days. His visit is highly valued by both the Chinese and British governments, as well as the people of China.

Prince William's trip is important because it is the first visit by a member of the British royal family to China since his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, came in 1986. The main purpose of his visit is to boost cultural and business ties between China and the UK.
Click to read more: Ask Uncle Wang - Global Times

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 44s 45 seconds ago
The #RoyalVisitChina is now over and Prince William is on his way back to the United Kingdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qc-nwdXIhk

A very diplomatic answer, not answering anything, as is appropriate on this question :p No unrehearsed comments on Ivory, very clever of him. Don't want to risk anything :p Loved that he thanked the press so much. I wonder if the new PR person told him that it might help relations.

Embarrassment for China maybe but certainly none for William.

Agreed. William has nothing to be embarrassed about.

The embarrassment on William's part is because he went to an elephant rescue center in China.

Why visit a rescue center in China, when Asian elephants are not being killed for their ivory?

William's embarrassment is because he confused the African elephant with the Asian elephant.

The plight of the Asian elephant is because of loss of habitat.

I don't think it is embarrassing at all. The Asian elephant needs just as much support as the African one, the reason doesn't matter. This way he has given attention to the problems the Asian elephants have and perhaps Chinese and Asian governments will now give more support for these organisations.

William is well aware of the plight of the Asian elephant. Precisely the reason he visited this particular sanctuary, the most important elephant sanctuary in Asia. He was there to talk to local conservationists and forestry police

At the elephant sanctuary in southwest Yunnan province, he heard about the dangers to China's remaining 250 Asian wild elephants.

BBC News - The man protecting China's elephants

Last edited:
I very much think it is a case of "actions speak louder than words" on William's part. He will have been fully aware of the existence of the other elephants being used for entertainment not far from the sanctuary/rescue centre and his interaction with the elephant he fed will have highlighted in a subtle way his views.
Any embarrassment will be (or should be) of his hosts.

With the papers repeatedly sharing Phillip and Charles' "gaffes" I wouldn't be surprised if some reporters were disappointed that William did not offer up any remarks that they could pounce upon. I have no doubt that William and his advisers had planned their strategy to be as courteous as possible to his hosts in order to foster better relations between the two nations.

With the papers repeatedly sharing Phillip and Charles' "gaffes" I wouldn't be surprised if some reporters were disappointed that William did not offer up any remarks that they could pounce upon. I have no doubt that William and his advisers had planned their strategy to be as courteous as possible to his hosts in order to foster better relations between the two nations.
I agree. This was a very sensitive trip and William (and his people) made sure to tread firmly but carefully. I love that William is such a good diplomat. Way better than Charles and Philip (They have other good qualities before, but thinking before speaking ain't one of them). I loved when William evaded the "what can be done in China?" question by thanking the media for following him there. Double points there. 1 for maintaining silence so not to offend his hosts. 2 for fostering relations with the media, acknowledging that he needs them to shine a light on this. He did really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom