The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duke of Cambridge: Official Visit to Israel, Jordan and the OPT - Summer 2018

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal 1
The Duke of Cambridge will visit Israel, Jordan and the Occupied Palestinian Territories in the Summer.

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal 1
The visit is at the request of Her Majesty's Government and has been welcomed by the Israeli, Jordanian and Palestinian authorities.

Article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Palestine.html

Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 AM
Majesty

This is huge news! A first for a member of the BRF. It should probably have its own thread.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Very interesting.

LaRae
Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Courtier

Amazing. I hope it brings all good things
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke of Cambridge to visit Israel, Jordan and the OPT - Summer 2018.

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Israel, Jordan and the Occupied Palestinian Territories in the Summer.

The visit is at the request of Her Majesty's Government and has been welcomed by the Israeli, Jordanian and Palestinian authorities.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...50406600380417

Prince William will visit Israel, Jordan and Palestine | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...50406600380417

Prince William will visit Israel, Jordan and Palestine | Daily Mail Online
Very good to see William up the ante as far the visits he is undertaking. This will be a sensitive trip.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Majesty

We welcome the announcement of Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge's visit to Israel. This is an historic visit, the first of its kind and he will be welcomed here with great affection. I instructed the @IsraelMFA to coordinate preparations for the visit to ensure its success.

Via PM of Israel Twitter

Nechama & I were happy to hear @KensingtonRoyal announcement, and look forward to welcoming #PrinceWilliam, the Duke of Cambridge, on an official visit to the State of #Israel later this year. A very special guest, and a very special present for our 70th year of independence.

Via Israeli President Reuven Rivlin Twitter
Old 03-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Royal Highness

This is good news. And is indeed showing more how the monarchy is changing. This will be an important trip for the BRF and especially for William.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
This is good news. And is indeed showing more how the monarchy is changing. This will be an important trip for the BRF and especially for William.
I agree. I'm looking forward to this visit, it should be interesting.
On a side note I visited Israel and Bethlehem in October and had an amazing time, and want to go back already. I'm sure William will enjoy the leisure side of the visit.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Royal Highness

Now it's making more sense with Prince Harry taking on an important role in the Commonwealth because W&K as future King and Queen can make these types of visits.

It would appear that the British Monarchy is really transitioning with the younger royals taking on very prominent roles.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Majesty

It’s a first time visit by a British royal and the Foreign Office taps The Duke of Cambridge to go.

Clearly the government has the confidence and respect for William to be assigned such a high profile diplomatic mission
Old 03-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Courtier

Hmm, William isn't someone who I would pick for this trip, but ok! Should be an interesting trip.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry for my ignorance, but does the UK have a military presence there via the UN? I think that's the only way that would happen?

I envy the Duke - a wonderful place to visit. But I am glad I am not responsible for security.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but does the UK have a military presence there via the UN? I think that's the only way that would happen?

I envy the Duke - a wonderful place to visit. But I am glad I am not responsible for security.
No, the UK doesn't have any UN peace keeping troops in the region. The UK while a member of the security counsel, actually has a relatively small number of troops in peacekeeping (mainly in Gibralter). There is an UK military presence in other areas of the Middle East like Bahrain but not in Israel/Palestine.There are commonwealth troops there: Canada, Australia and NZ are all involved in the peacekeeping mission in the Middle East.

It is a big step for any senior royal to visit Palestine.

Small correction-this is the first Tour of the region for any senior royal. It certainly isn't the first visit to Israel (Palestine yes).

-Philip attended the ceremony when his mother was honored as a righteous among nations in the 1990's (well may be considered private but still)
-Charles has been to two funerals there, that of Rabin in 1995 and most recently of Shimon Peres in 2016 (talk of it being canceled but he went). He visited his grandmother's grave after the Peres funeral

https://www.timesofisrael.com/prince...-in-jerusalem/
Old 03-02-2018, 03:01 AM
Aristocracy

I agree, a surprising choice for such a visit since it would usually go to a more junior member of the BRF like one of the Queen’s cousins which would be far more appropriate than him. It’s all in pretty poor taste since the Israeli’s are starting to milk it politically connecting the visit. to one its many many Calendar day anniversaries of the occupation. And then it appears to appease Trump policies on Our Holy City.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Hmm, William isn't someone who I would pick for this trip, but ok! Should be an interesting trip.
Good it wasn't your choice to make☺
Old 03-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I was also surprised that William was picked for this mission. A British royal visiting Israel and Palestine is already unusual in itself. Has the PoW made any comments in the past that would make him unwelcome in Israel ? I am just curious.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting to see how some suggest a more junior member and others suggest a more senior member should have been chosen; William seems a great compromise
Old 03-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Interesting to see how some suggest a more junior member and others suggest a more senior member should have been chosen; William seems a great compromise
In my view, that is a high profile diplomatic mission in a sensitive region, so there is no doubt a senior royal should have been picked. A quick Google search, however, shows reasons why Prince Charles might not be the best choice for this trip.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

If you are not sending the Prince of Wales then his heir seems to be the next most senior Royal. William's trip to China was fine, no reason to think he can't handle this.