Duke of Cambridge: Official Visit to Israel, Jordan and the OPT - Summer 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO this will be the most significant visit that William has embarked upon to date. I am hoping that he'll have the opportunity to meet with HM King Abdullah in Jordan.

I will be watching this trip very closely. Israel/Palestine peace work is something I am very involved in. I am also partly from the region so it will be interesting to see such a high profile trip. I can guarantee that Abdullah and Rania will be on hand for the Amman portions.

I have some doubts about this trip, but hope William prepares himself thoroughly. I am assuming BP will have more of a grip on this trip since KP's staff is...well there is room for improvement there.

I believe that the Foreign Office will be thoroughly preparing William and any others accompanying him on this significant visit to one of the world's most troubled and historic regions. This will be the first official visit by a member of the British Royal Family and undoubtedly everyone involved will be aware of the importance of this visit.

I just learned about the trip from an article on the BBC webpage. Wow! Very big news.

I can’t think of a time when William didn’t seem well prepared including on high profile occasions like the trip to China and on occasions when lives depended on him and his team in his former career. I can’t see this trip being any different and I’m sure he, like every royal who undertakes this sort of visit, will have been walked through the whole thing almost minute by minute by the most appropriate and qualified people.

Further details about The Duke of Cambridge's visit to Jordan, Israel, and the Occupied Palestinian Territories have been released

In Jordan, The Duke of Cambridge will be able to build on the strong links that exist not only between the two countries, but also those that exist between their respective Royal families who have visited each other many times over the years.

In Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, The Duke of Cambridge's visit will be the first official tour on behalf of the Government by a Member of the @RoyalFamily.

The Duke will meet young entrepreneurs, view vibrant tech and media sectors, witness historic cultures being protected and interpreted for the 21st century, and meet people from a variety of backgrounds – including refugees – with a particular focus on young people.

The Duke will also meet with senior political and religious leaders in all three places, as well as a wide range of people drawn from across business, civil society, the arts and media and other sectors at receptions organised by the UK’s three missions.

The Duke is looking forward to building a real and enduring relationship with the people of the region, and is pleased that his programme will allow him to meet a number of people from his own generation and young Jordanians, Israelis, and Palestinians.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

The Duke of Cambridge's visit to Jordan, Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories

Last edited:
Prince William will not be carrying a political message when he arrives in the region next week for the first ever official visit by a senior member of the Royal family, and is simply coming to Israel to “celebrate” Israel-UK ties, British ambassador David Quarrey said on Thursday.

“There is no political message, the Duke is not a political figure,” Quarrey told reporters at a briefing at his Ramat Gan residence where William, the Duke of Cambridge, will hold a reception for some 350 people next Tuesday night.
Read more: Jerusalem Post

Day 1: 24th June

The Duke of Cambridge will depart the UK on RAF Voyager on the morning of Sunday 24th, arriving in Amman, Jordan to an official welcome at Marka airport.

He will be greeted by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Al-Hussein Bin Abdullah II.

Their Royal Highnesses will then visit Fablab, an initiative of the Crown Prince Foundation that seeks to equip young entrepreneurs with the technology they need to realise their ambitions.

That evening The Duke will meet people from across Jordanian society and deliver a speech at a Queen’s Birthday Party at the residence of Her Majesty’s Ambassador

Then he will depart for a private dinner with the Crown Prince Hussein at Beit al Urden, the King’s private residence, where The Duke is honoured to stay overnight.

Prince William arrives in Jordan for the start of his trip

Prince William is welcomed to Jordan by Crown Prince Hussein | Daily Mail Online

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2018/06/24/prince_william_visit_to_jordan?

"Prince William couldn't watch the @england match live and avoided finding out the score all afternoon. He sat down with the Crown Prince of Jordan to watch a rerun after dinner at the Beit Al Urdun Palace."

And if someone don't know England won Panama 6-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow with shorter hair and his beard, CP Hussein resembles his grandfather and namesake the late King Hussein. I had not realized that the King and Queen would be absent for this trip. This is a learning experience for both future monarchs IMO.

Prince William has arrived at the Tech Works centre, an initiative of the Crown Prince as part of his foundation.

Later tonight he will attend a party in honour of the Queen's birthday at the residence of Britain's ambassador to Jordan, Edward Oakden #RoyalVisitJordan

Via Russell Myers Twitter

Great to see the two future colleagues together. Although the task that lies ahead of Hussein is more difficult than William's imo.

#PrinceWilliam clearly getting on great with Jordan's Crown Prince Hussein bin Abdullah II, both laughing and joking together. Hussein is a Sandhurst-trained second lieutenant in the Jordanian army and shares a passion for motorbikes with William! #Ducati #RoyalVisitJordan

Via Russell Myers Twitter

Speech given by The Duke of Cambridge at The Queen's Birthday Party in Jordan

https://www.royal.uk/speech-given-duke-cambridge-queens-birthday-party-jordan
A short but nice speech in which he highlighted the bonds between the families and also references Catherine's stay of 3 years in Jordan as a child. Such a pity that she wasn't able to join. Hopefully they'll have another opportunity (or can make a private visit and take their children with them when they are a little older).

Last edited:
No offence to the Crown Prince but that interior's pretty awful.

But that looks like a room a young man would decorate himself (unfortunately in this case).

William seems to have made a real connection with the Crown Prince, much more so than he did with the young Swedish/Norwegian/Danish royals when he met them. In my opinion, this is the kind of royal-to-royal relationship that actually has relevance given the role the Crown Prince will likely play in policy making in his country. Whether William is friends with Victoria of Sweden affects nothing and no one.

But that looks like a room a young man would decorate himself (unfortunately in this case).

William seems to have made a real connection with the Crown Prince, much more so than he did with the young Swedish/Norwegian/Danish royals when he met them. In my opinion, this is the kind of royal-to-royal relationship that actually has relevance given the role the Crown Prince will likely play in policy making in his country. Whether William is friends with Victoria of Sweden affects nothing and no one.

Completely different contexts. The Norwegian and the Danish younger royals are much older than William (with teenage kids), I would be surprised if there was a real connection. We don't know what kind of relationship there is with Victoria and Daniel, what went on during the Duke private meeting at the Haga Palace apart from the official pictures we got.
Here we have a picture with two men watching a football match, of course they are enjoying themselves, they're men...but it's hard to guess the terms of a relationship from it as well.
I am the happiest person if William manages to create bonds with every single foreign royal, something the BRF never really thought to be important, but that said, William's position will never be political and Jordan has always been friendly with Western countries so a bond within the two will hardly affect anything or anyone IMO.

One thing that struck me as something both men have in common and reminisce about is that they're both Sandhurst alumni. That and perhaps a common interest in sports. I'm happy to see that these two men had a chance to just sit back, relax and get to know each other on a purely personal level.

Back
Top Bottom